[Sug] A Repair/rearm Solution That Might Be Okay With Both Camps?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

So, a lot of people want repair/rearm back, and other do not. People have put forward benefits and drawbacks with having repair/rearm, and these seem to be the most frequently mentioned:

Benefit:
1. Gives players more reason to use anything but assaults.
2. Feels more logical than having completely free upkeep.

Drawbacks:
A. Encourages cowardly tactics.
B. Increases the risk of issues with people paying to win.
C. Forces players to play 'mechs they don't like because they can't afford to keep playing the ones they want.

Further explanation of these for those that care:
Spoiler

What I'm aiming at is a system that keeps as much of the benefits but minimizes the drawbacks of the system, and I think I have an idea. It's one main idea and two smaller changes to further fine-tune the system.

1. Upkeep/Recovery Cost
tl;dr: static cost to field 'mech based on tonnage.
Spoiler

2. Change how the damage reward is gotten.
tl;dr: The damage reward is based on percentual damage.
Spoiler

3. Rebalancing the rewards.
Spoiler

So, with this system, the less resources you use as a team is both good for the teams collective reward and each player's reward - using a lighter 'mech gives you more in winning cash due to lower upkeep, using a heavier 'mech gives you more in damage cash unless everyone else is also using heavier 'mechs.

From my point of view, it retains benefit 1, and with a little imagination 2, and avoids issues A, B and C.

What say you? Is this a good baseline for a change? I'm not saying this is perfect, but I think it can make a good compromise.

#2 Guarditan

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Sorry but i disagree with your post. In my games there are always enough small mechs. It's mostly a very even composition of mechs. So there is no need to make light/medium mechs more attractive.
The next thing is that i dont see the point of punishing "coward" tactics. LRM should also belong to a battle like any other weapon. Esspecially with ecm long rage mechs arent very usefull right now. There is enough punishment.

I usually play with 2 friends. I'm a big fan of assault mechs and playing awesomes and an atlas. They are both playing light mechs and they like it.
After the match my atlas did about 500-1000dmg and has stats of 2-2. The lights do perhaps 200-400 dmg but have a stat of 1-7 oder something like that. So they dont gain that lot of dmg-money but they get a lot of money for assists which is even higher than killing ppl. I think this is a very good balance.

The next problem I noticed is that ppl tend to shoot the bigger mechs because of the slow movement and big bodyparts. So there is the probability that you dont survive the first battle as an atlas.

For me and my friends the rewardsystem is fairly balanced.

#3 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

i think these are great ideas. i really like how the rewards are done. i think most of this would go a long way towards balancing cbill income.

i don't think it replaces repair and rearm very effectively though, but i am very picky and kind of purist about my reasons for wanting RR.

my final ruling:
i want this AND repair/rearm.

Edited by blinkin, 17 February 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#4 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

View PostGuarditan, on 17 February 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Sorry but i disagree with your post. In my games there are always enough small mechs. It's mostly a very even composition of mechs. So there is no need to make light/medium mechs more attractive.

While this is currently quite true in PUGging (though it seems much more common for me to drop with 6 heavy+ than six medium or lighter), from what I've understood it's a common trend among premades that nearly every 'mech is heavy or assault with just a craven or so for scouting. And note - this isn't primarily _my_ argument, it's one that several people have put forward in several threads. I'm just stating them here for reference.

There are people that want repair/rearm put back in, and others that oppose it. This is just an idea for a compromise. I don't particulary care for R/R and neither do I feel it's horrible unless badly implemented.

The next thing is that i dont see the point of punishing "coward" tactics. LRM should also belong to a battle like any other weapon. Esspecially with ecm long rage mechs arent very usefull right now. There is enough punishment.

I think you misunderstood. The drawback of repair/rearm is that everyone benefits from not getting hit, which means it's really costly to be the brawler. This isn't about punishing long-range - it's about NOT punishing brawlers. And while LRMs aren't very good right now, long range are having a field day. Both river city and forest colony often turns into a sniping party of gausses and PPC's. But that's for another thread.

*snip* I think this is a very good balance.

Yes, I am not seeing the current system as a big problem - but many others do. There are a lot of threads talking about repair rearm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users