Eu Servers Again...

24 replies to this topic

#1 Yanoshiku

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

So, everybody knows that EU servers are coming. Its nice but not necessary.
Is dropping from 150ms to 50ms worth of splitting community? Not for me.
Such ping is not causing lagshield or makes aiming impossible.
I have feeling that when servers will be set up many EU players will stay on NA anyway. (like me)
Since i have merc corp and buddies from all over the world I have no plan of switching servers.

Splitting not that big community is bad idea. Then why not just set UE servers and give in game options to chose between EU and NA like we switch between conquest and assault? This way with one account i can play both NA and UE. Everybody's happy - easy solution. :D

#2 Furmansky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Yes your right... but there are topics about it like:
http://mwomercs.com/...ll-the-players/
And other ones...

But yes, I totally agree with you.

Edited by Furmansky, 17 February 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#3 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

I wonder: For us having bad ping from Europe to US is because our internet connection / bandwith is limited. But if PGI sets up two big servers, can't they establish a faster connection between those two servers? Or is this some kind of technical limitation that simply can't be overcome, no matter the connection?

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Ping is not limited by bandwidth. There is no faster connection then the trans-atlantic cables between europe and north america. Even satellite (expensive as hell, if you want a permanent link) is slower, because there are more hops involved.

#5 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostEgomane, on 17 February 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

Ping is not limited by bandwidth. There is no faster connection then the trans-atlantic cables between europe and north america. Even satellite (expensive as hell, if you want a permanent link) is slower, because there are more hops involved.

Correct however traffic priority differs ISP to ISP.

#6 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

ime running whit 100 ping constant from eu,
i hate to see it gettin split up!

#7 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

giving people the option to change servers at will will be the best option, it means the community will not be split.
other games have done it and its a good feature.
on days where my ping is low, or times of day when traffic is NA is slow i can play NA servers.
days when my ping is high or traffic is high on NA servers i can use european servers.
problem solved

#8 Yanoshiku

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostFurmansky, on 17 February 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Yes your right... but there are topics about it like:
http://mwomercs.com/...ll-the-players/
And other ones...

But yes, I totally agree with you.

Many games uses systems like the one i sugested. Like LOL, DOTA...

Yes, servers have own databases but theres no problem with synchronizing them, similiar to apple devices.
From my point of view it is the best and the simplest way.

#9 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

Being able to pick your server does have its drawbacks though. Some people might not mind playing with a high ping but I would much prefer them to be on a closer server. High ping doesn't just affect the person with the ping but everybody playing with them, so basically I don't like having to play against somebody with a 300 ping because then there is some lag shooting. However that seems to be more of a Australian problem so they should get a server out there some where.

Now its not a huge problem in this game but it is there and if people are picking servers that give them a higher ping then what is the point of the regional servers? I say have it set by your region and let everybody opt in or out of playing with people from different regions.

Edited by dario03, 17 February 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#10 Yanoshiku

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

View Postdario03, on 17 February 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Being able to pick your server does have its drawbacks though. Some people might not mind playing with a high ping but I would much prefer them to be on a closer server. High ping doesn't just affect the person with the ping but everybody playing with them, so basically I don't like having to play against somebody with a 300 ping because then there is some lag shooting. However that seems to be more of a Australian problem so they should get a server out there some where.

Now its not a huge problem in this game but it is there and if people are picking servers that give them a higher ping then what is the point of the regional servers? I say have it set by your region for everything but volunter 8mans. If two full teams don't mind dealing with the lag then they can choose to play on the other servers.

300 ping does not apply to eu players unless someone has really crapy net. And lag problem i more problematic and annoying to the lagging person. :D

#11 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostYanoshiku, on 17 February 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

300 ping does not apply to eu players unless someone has really crapy net. And lag problem i more problematic and annoying to the lagging person. :D

Uhh yeah I said it was more of Australian problem and it might be more annoying to the laggy person but its still annoying to others. My points still stand but if some are ok with that then let them opt in to playing on any servers but the people that don't want to deal with laggy people should be able to opt out of that and play in their own regional servers with only people in that region. Hopefully one day we will have at least 3 servers spread out.

Edited by dario03, 17 February 2013 - 04:28 AM.

#12 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

I'm getting 280ms from South Africa. Should decrease to around 200 if we get EU servers. Would be great for me, but I know I'm in the minority.

#13 Alternate22

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

I wanted to mention this, but the truth is that EU servers opens up the game to more than an EU audience. I currently play from the middle east and I know a few others that would like to probably play from here, but our ping to the US Servers is, at minimum, 250+. An EU server would help not just continental Europe but the regions surrounding, such as Africa, Eastern Europe, Russia and even Western/South-Western Asia. Right now players from these places are basically crippled with extreme frustrations sometimes on trying to predict where lagged mechs will be so you can land a hit.

An EU server would cut the ping in half, easily, letting us fight on more even and fair terms.

Edited by Alternate22, 17 February 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#14 Munno

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Whilst I strongly disagree with splitting the community, I'd be in favour of an EU server if it meant the EU servers would be up during prime time.

#15 Yanoshiku

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

I am well aware of that. In Gensokyo we have players from asia with same ping problems. EU servers are going to make theirs situation much better. Yet nobody wants to separate from NA corp players.

Im not against EU server. Im against community splitting. Option to chose servs will prevent from doing so.

Edit: I hope Devs will read this :D

Edited by Yanoshiku, 17 February 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#16 Mr Styx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDevon England

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Ahh but the reason they will split the community is I suspect........so ppl have 2 accounts and will want to buy mc on the second account.
alll about the dolla with these guys

Edited by Mr Styx, 17 February 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#17 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

It would be great if the EU serves would draw on the same database as the US servers so that you can play the same mechs on both servers. This way a player can always choose which server to play on and does not have to make it a, more or less, permanent choice.

I would still prefer a separate EU server as I currently am playing with a ping of almost 200 and am having trouble hitting a barn door. My opponents do not seem to have much problems though, they hit me just fine. Since I also played with ~100ms for several weeks I know that it does make a noticable difference.

#18 Red Klown X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • LocationMontpellier

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Yeah 150 and 50 ping is an hudge difference particulary in an fps game . With euro server new player who play in other fps will can aim and hit the ligth :D .

And i dont know why they want split the community , my worst fear is getting euro server who patch long time after Us server .

Edited by klownnection, 17 February 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#19 Sigismund

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Sucks having 280 ping down here, fat luck hitting anything faster than 81km/h or sometimes slower...

View PostAlternate22, on 17 February 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

... the truth is that EU servers opens up the game to more than an EU audience.

Similarly servers in and around Asia/Oceania would halve the pings of anywhere around that part of the world. Piranha doesn't have to set up many servers to turn "Wtf hyperspace magic lag." into "minor/moderate annoyance" for a load of players. Of course players should always be able to pick their servers at will or else it'll cripple the community.

#20 Degalus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 364 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

I have every time a ping of 150. Players with a ping of 25 have much better aim because they hit what they hit ... if i try to leg a light, i must aim 1 - 2 m infront of his legs ... WITH LASERS. So yea i want this EU Servers to realy hit what i hit.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users