Xl Engines Should Be Mandatory For Light Mechs

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have XL engines on your lights (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your engine

1. XL engine (28 votes [90.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.32%

2. STD engine (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

If XL engine...

1. Gotta go fast (25 votes [36.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.23%

2. I have the money (10 votes [14.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.49%

3. I have the crit slots (13 votes [18.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

4. I require more weight (17 votes [24.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.64%

5. Ignore me if you are using standard (4 votes [5.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

If Standard Engine...

1. I don't want to die too soon if my sides have fallen or reached orbit (9 votes [20.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

2. I'm too poor to afford XL engines (4 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. I need more crit slots (4 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. I can spare the weight (7 votes [15.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

5. Ignore me if you use XL (20 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lady Oscar Francois De Jarjayes

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

So yeah. I was playing around with my Raven-2X which is pretty much a knock-off of my Jenner-K. Map was caustic and I'm in a light fight with a raven-4x and got his side torso red. I lick my lips in anticipation as he tried to zig and zag his mech trying to keep his damaged side torso away from my medium lasers to no avail because of crappy piloting. I fired my lasers on it and I didn't get my anticipated kill as I should when I kill light mechs. I waited for the message "<my name> has killed <that guy>" but instead I get "component destruction" and another "component destruction" message. Peeved I chased him more only to find out someone legged me and was now shooting at the sorry mech that is a legged light. I twist my torso to expose my undamaged side torso to the incoming fire in the hopes that I can last a few more seconds until reinforcements arrive or I can get back to half my running speed. But alas it is not to be for the moment I twisted my torso I saw my prey aiming its remaining weapons in front of me to my damaged side torso and fired them instantly killing me.

Now that you've reached this part just ignore the first paragraph. My real question to all pilots who use lights is do you use standard engines or XL engines? Whichever engine type you use can you offer me a short description as to why you chose that type of engine?

#2 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

as you said i haz got to go fast.

I use the largest XL 295 in my raven 3L. i also use AMS and ECM but my mech is fully maxed out skill treewise top speed of 150.2 kph helps keep me alive. 9 times out of 10 i will survived the match or be the last standing on my team.

but saying that my gauss-kitty uses a standard engine. when in a match people are always surprised that i'm still standing after one side of my torso is gone. i don't use XL in meds heavies or assault mechs. i feel its to big of a target

this game is still beta its not perfect yet.

Edited by bloodnor, 17 February 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

It really depends on my build. Most of the time it's XL on my lights, but sometimes it is only a standard.

#4 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

I use both at the SAME TIME, one for each leg for super duper go fast but kind of hobbly way. But no really it depends on what mech it is. If I want zombie light I go with a standard and for go fast a xl. I also will run a standard for a while and see how the torsos hold up to make the choice. Ravens have such small side torsos that a xl makes sense but in my commandos I'll lose the side torsos so I run standard some times (but I change them around occasionally). Though on my ecm commando I'll often run a xl for the weight savings and because with little worry of lrm it's less likely to lose a side torso.

#5 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

View Postbloodnor, on 17 February 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

as you said i haz got to go fast.

I use the largest XL 295 in my raven 3L. i also use AMS and ECM but my mech is fully maxed out skill treewise top speed of 150.2 kph helps keep me alive. 9 times out of 10 i will survived the match or be the last standing on my team.

this game is still beta its not perfect yet.

Raven 3Ls that fight only survive to the end of matches all the time because there is something wrong with their hitboxes even when moving slow (damage never seems to register correctly compared to other lights) and at that speed (150kph) with the current netcode they are extremely rubberbandy.

On topic

All my lights have XLs in them

My fast lights.
-Founder jenner - 295xl for speed and space for weapons/ammo/max jumpjets/AMS
-LPL Raven 4x - Max engine for speed and space for weapons/heatsinks/max jumpjets
-Death Knell - Max engine for speed and for 4ML/heatsinks/AMS
-5D and 5K spiders - 235XL its not the max, but I prefer the extra tons for full jumpjets/armor/weapons/heatsinks

Even my slow lights have XLs in them.
-AC20 Raven - goes 100kph with speedtweak, needs an XL to be able to fit that AC20 3tons of ammo and the armor needed to survive.
-LRM 3L raven - goes 100kph with speedtweak, needs an XL to fit the LRM15 and 4 tons of ammo along with a tag/medlas/1streak with 1ton ammo.

Basically for me its not about the XL for speed but using it to help max out the other areas of my light mechs. Be it weapons or modules or jumpjets.

#6 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

rich people are rich

#7 DeeSaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I feel dirty when I ride any of the lights I want to keep after finishing basic efficiencies and it is not XLed up... :/

#8 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

An Error Occurred

[#10355] You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

I use both standard and XL engines in my mechs. No matter if lights or otherwise. But what has the poll to do with the heading?

#9 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

I didn't understand the OP or the poll and how it ties into the thread title.

#10 Aileen Dover

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

I gotta admit I hate XL Engines with a passion! The whole idea is understandable but I just don't like taking the risk. I always try and cram in the highest STD engine I can after fitting my weapons and ammo. The whole idea of going fast is nice but if you use the terrain, pick your fights and always be ready to disengage you can last a hell of a lot longer with an STD.

Can't say how many times my Commando and Jenner have been saved from death because of the STD and still let me be helpful to the team.

Still there are lots of arguments either way and I do envy some of the XL builds that crop up its just most of the time I can kill them quite easily. :D

#11 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

checked all the boxes

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users