Mwo Vs. Hawken

70 replies to this topic

#1 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

So... have always thought that MWO is doing better than hawken. Actually I would never consider playing hawken with a game like MWO on the market.

but i can't speak for a lot of other people in the potential player base. But after looking into it a bit it seems like hawken is stealing MWO's player base. or at least interest.

Posted Image
at a certain point in time. probably decemberish. hawken interest seems to raise directly as MWO interests drop. (maybe directly as a result of dropping MWO interest)

are we not properly marketing. whats going on

Edited by Tennex, 17 February 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Except for the part where hawken has problems matching people into 4v4 matches, and they're trying to push comics, live-action shows, t-shirts...

The game has a grand total of one viable mech, too. If you think MWO has balance issues, then you don't want to play hawken. I could stomach a couple hours of complete stomps, but that was it.

#3 Vilheim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm not surprised, really. Hawken has more of a standard FPS feel which more players are probably comfortable with. MW:O is a pretty new experience in terms of FPS (for those who haven't been around for the earlier MechWarrior games)

#4 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Except for the part where hawken has problems matching people into 4v4 matches, and they're trying to push comics, live-action shows, t-shirts...

The game has a grand total of one viable mech, too. If you think MWO has balance issues, then you don't want to play hawken. I could stomach a couple hours of complete stomps, but that was it.

lol we all know what people on the forums will say. but what about that steep slope. what are *they* thinking

Edited by Tennex, 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#5 Dudeman3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

lol whats up with the dates?? 2005?? lol

I don't doubt hawken is doing much better, but this chart is awful. I don;t get it

EDIT: wait wait. I get it, its the search results online.

Edited by Dudeman3k, 17 February 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#6 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Where did you generate that? Hawken is not just a video game, it's also a surname, a design company and many other things besides... The game Hawken didn't exist for people to be searching for in 2005

#7 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostApoc1138, on 17 February 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Where did you generate that? Hawken is not just a video game, it's also a surname, a design company and many other things besides... The game Hawken didn't exist for people to be searching for in 2005

View PostApoc1138, on 17 February 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

google trends.

i'm talking about the point where hawken rises and MWO drops

i'm fairly certain overall that hawken is doing about as well as MWO right now.

Edited by Tennex, 17 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#8 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostTennex, on 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

lol we all know what people on the forums will say. but what about that steep slope. what are *they* thinking

Hawken has a lot of marketing, but no bite. You could just go play it, you know.

HAWKEN VIRUS!

#9 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Your data is flawed OP. You base your judgement off of searches only. You would need total numbers of players, particularly active players as well as average number of players on at any given time and churn rates just for starters. You would also have to have hard data on players traveling both ways. And as Apoc1138 was so nice to point out you have false data laying in there as well.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 17 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#10 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 17 February 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Your data is flawed OP. You base your judgement off of searches only. You would need total numbers of players, particularly active players as well as average number of players on at any given time and churn rates just for starters. You would also have to have hard data on players traveling both ways. And as Apoc1138 was so nice to point out you have false data laying in there as well.

if you actually read the post. it says *interest*

#11 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Are those bottom numbers supposed to be years? Pretty sure Hawken didn't exist in 2005...

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I played Hawken for a little while. It was awesome-tastic in closed alpha but in open beta I couldn't play more than a few hours before getting bored.

I dunno, I guess I just like Mechwarrior's art style (mechs here are walking weapon platforms instead of oversized samurai) and modular customization systems more than other mech games.

Edited by FupDup, 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#13 Vilheim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Here:
http://www.google.co...n%20game&cmpt=q

EDIT: and here: http://www.google.co...n%20game&cmpt=q

Edited by Vilheim, 17 February 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#14 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostVilheim, on 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

thanks,

i would use mechwarrior online instead of "mechwarrior game" tho

Edit: i'm not talking about the average. its not very accurate for any reasoning. look at the point where MWO drops and hawken rises....

i don't see anyreason why the surname hawken would gain interest as MWO interest falls.

Edited by Tennex, 17 February 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#15 employee24601

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Two different games for two different audiences. I played Hawken briefly, and enjoyed the FPS gameplay. It's easy to get into and pick up, and if you can play any given FPS you'll do ok.

I returned to MWO however, for it's visceral Mech combat. It's much much harder and has a much steeper learning curve but is immensely satisfying when you do achieve success. MWO actually feels like you're controlling a huge war machine, Hawken less so. It feels like you're a dude wearing some sort of crazy Japanese anime mecha suit.

Horses for courses. I like mine flavoured Battletech thanks.

Edited by employee24601, 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#16 herosson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Meh this game is crapz

#17 Mr Mantis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCouch

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

So each one of those spikes in hawken's searches happen when the mwo forums get a post about them and people wonder wait what the heck is hawken or why is it so bad.

#18 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

EDIT:
Ah, your term was "mechwarrior online", my mistake. I thought you had used "mechwarrior or"

Edited by Roland, 17 February 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#19 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hawkin sucks. that is all

#20 S1lent0ne

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yeah - Hawken is mostly a marketing gimmick. Really neat cinematics but meh gameplay. I like to think of it somewhere between MWO and Tribes: Ascend but where MWO does mechs better and Tribes does FPS better.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users