Mech warfare going to be mainstream?

6 replies to this topic

#1 emcoL

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChrzanow, PL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

I waiting for this game few mounths, I only played Mechwarior 1 and 2 but word 'Online' change a lot for me. Finally smth what I want to check. :huh:

Many ppl at now play diffrent mmo's usually rpgs, now it's the most popular type of game in internet, but what makes mechwarrior popular? Recently Adhesive Games releasing 'Hawken' game very simmilar to Mechwarrior and that game isn't popular like MW:O. I know few ppl in my environment whos never played any part of MW and they sing up in beta and going to play it after lunch.

Now my q is it, what's making that game popular like that especially when game is in CB status for few days, unrichable for many of us at the moment. RPG's dying? or just many of us looking for smthing new and fresh to play. And what dear reader bring u to that title?

@sry about my non perfect eng ;)

Edited by emcoL, 28 May 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#2 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:17 AM

The main difference is that MechWarrior already has a loyal player base. The game has just gone into Closed BETA and there are (as of today) over 121,000 players on the forums. This is not a new game starting from nothing and that is a huge advantage over other new games.

MechWarrior is based on a story that has already been written. The detail in the books is uniquely appropriate for developing a PvP game. There are several previous PC games to draw from. There is a huge community of MechWarrior fans already in place to support the game including the book readers, the board game players, and the PC game players. Some are members of all of those groups and others are just members of one, but they all love MechWarrior already. In addition to those people there are the new players from other games that have been searching for something new and different in a PvP game. MechWarrior is on a fast track to reclaim it's previous success and I do not see anything stopping it.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 28 May 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#3 Raines

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hm, why you compare large old universe with one small game like hawken? Why rpg is dying? Try to say it in on WoW forum. MWO mostly attract Battletech universe fans, not mmo players.

Edited by Raines, 28 May 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

We have a big following. It's like asking if a Star Wars/ Warhammer game's going to be succesful. It's a sure one. ^_^

Aslo, this is the first official Mechwarrior game in 10 years. IN it's time, it was a must have franchise, so there are many fans out there just waiting to see the game and come here asking for old friends, mechs, or just thanking the devs.

The last thing is that Mechwarrior is a pretty original game. The controls, mechanics and everything are something you will never see in any ther game out there. ;)

Edited by Adridos, 28 May 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#5 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 May 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

We have a big following. It's like asking if a Star Wars/ Warhammer game's going to be succesful. It's a sure one. ^_^

Aslo, this is the first official Mechwarrior game in 10 years. IN it's time, it was a must have franchise, so there are many fans out there just waiting to see the game and come here asking for old friends, mechs, or just thanking the devs.

The last thing is that Mechwarrior is a pretty original game. The controls, mechanics and everything are something you will never see in any ther game out there. ;)

I agree with the Capellan.

#6 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hawken has more in common with Virtual-On that any MW game. the ONLY similarity is the presence of mecha. Hawken could as easily have been power suits, like Ironman's or The Knight Sabers in Bubblegum Crisis

#7 Madog

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

BattleTech/Mechwarrior has been around in one form or another since the early 80s. So there is almost 30 years for it to build a fan base. Plus it has been a table top wargame/rpg as well as multiple video games for the PC and some of the most popular consoles.

On top of that, there have been dozens of novels publish in the setting and even a cartoon in the mid 1990s.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users