Who Is Rebuilding Their Hunchbacks?

74 replies to this topic

#1 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I play Hunchbacks almost exclusively now. I run the G, P and SP, all pretty standard build brawlers.

G>LBX10/3ML
P>9ML (two groups)
SP>2SRM4's/4ML

Basic brawling builds that fit my style. Reading about Alpine, Im actually rather excited, as I hope it forces more balanced builds, including me.

Sow what is everyone changing too?

Im considering

G>2LL/ML/3MG
P>2PPC/5ML
SP>2SRM4's/2LL

Whats everyones thoughts, experience with Alpine? I myself have yet to drop into it.

#2 Bandokay

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I have fun running my founder hunch (standard engine ) with 2x erppc and 3 x mg

#3 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

The J-flavor trial Hunch gives you LRM's, right?

#4 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Don't knock the dual LRM20 J variant until you've tried it! ( hey...it killmail whores with the best of 'em)

#5 Mental Hippie

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have tried 2 different PPC builds in my P. Both running an XL250 engine along with endo and DHS of course (and the survivability if you are decent at twisting aroound to spread the damage from incoming fire is making me think all this fear of putting an XL in a hunchie is kind of overstated, at least if you're not running a brawler).

The one I am using now looks nice on paper for the OCD people since it has no free slots. 16 DHS, 18 points of armor shaven off the legs, 2 ERPPCs, a pair of medium pulse lasers in the arms, and a single medium laser in the head. It is an ok mech I suppose, but I am having real problems contributing as much as I'd want. It can defend itself if someone jumps you, but just because of that I actually TRY to defend myself, only ERPPC's just aren't very heat effective weapons in a brawl.

The first build I tried, and which I am soon going back to, packs 3 PPCs along with 2 laughable small lasers for close in defense. 14 DHS and 288 armor, taken from arms and legs completes the build. This is, in my opinion, a more than decent support mech/mid range sniper. That 30 damage PPC alpha can really reach out and touch people, and on chain fire it feels like you could fire them all day. Hunchback's arent very fast though, and this mech has a real headache with fast mechs wanting to brawl. You need to stick with your team (preferably behind them ;)) and/or show a lot of positional awareness. In short, use a really patient and careful playstyle.

If you want to PPC in a hunchie, make sure to use the fact that you don't have to expose more than half your mech to fire your big boom. Siding out to take potshot after potshot from behind buildings never gets old, and if you do it right you will rarely get hit with counter fire. Hitting a poptart with a few seconds air time is child's play compared to hitting a hunchie showing half his body for no more than half a second.

#6 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I am considering putting LLAS or PPC on the left arm. That way if you lose the arm you still have the hunch. And vice versa.

I'm also considering re-buying my master 4J.

#7 rDesertFox

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

4G- 1 Guass Rifle
1 L laser
1 M laser
Epic sniper build

#8 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostOni Ralas, on 20 February 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Don't knock the dual LRM20 J variant until you've tried it! ( hey...it killmail whores with the best of 'em)

Not knocking ay tall. Alpine looks like happy hunting grounds for LRMs.

#9 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

with alpine been the map i would build for.
I'm thinking about putting a LRM10 into one of the side torso slots on the
4SP and keeping 1 of the SRM6's, (again)
tried this build on the other smaller maps, it did work sort of, but it does need
more range to soften the enemy up before you close ranks on them.

i can see this build been very variable with more larger maps that's for sure.

#10 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostDemoned, on 20 February 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

with alpine been the map i would build for.
I'm thinking about putting a LRM10 into one of the side torso slots on the
4SP and keeping 1 of the SRM6's, (again)
tried this build on the other smaller maps, it did work sort of, but it does need
more range to soften the enemy up before you close ranks on them.

i can see this build been very variable with more larger maps that's for sure.

The LRM-10 is going to sputter 6-4 because of the 6-tube slot. Getting an even bigger engine would probably work better, since the Hunchback is mostly a city-fighter.

#11 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Built this like a day before the patch, wasn't really paying attention to how big the map would be or anything: HBK-4SP

#12 Benyamin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, Georgia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

My 4G is outfitted with this:

2 UAC/5s
1 SMLaser (Right hand, because if I have to Zombie, I'd rather Zombie with a MLaser)
2 MLasers

It's what I was running before the patch. Since the patch, I've ran it a few times on Alpine, and it seems to do pretty well. Little on the slow side though, with it's stock engine. I'm also debating dropping the 2 MLasers for SMLasers, and getting another ton of ammo.

#13 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostGuassCat, on 20 February 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

4G- 1 Guass Rifle
1 L laser
1 M laser
Epic sniper build

I just started running a 4H with Gauss, first tried this. Had some Gauss explosions and times when the engine got hit.

Now using this. Still hate when the RT is shot out. CASE protects from Gauss explosion?

Wish I could get a better speed engine but I'll live.

#14 Jericho917

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostGuassCat, on 20 February 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

4G- 1 Guass Rifle
1 L laser
1 M laser
Epic sniper build

View Postslayerkdm, on 19 February 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I play Hunchbacks almost exclusively now. I run the G, P and SP, all pretty standard build brawlers.

G>LBX10/3ML
P>9ML (two groups)
SP>2SRM4's/4ML

Basic brawling builds that fit my style. Reading about Alpine, Im actually rather excited, as I hope it forces more balanced builds, including me.

Sow what is everyone changing too?

Im considering

G>2LL/ML/3MG
P>2PPC/5ML
SP>2SRM4's/2LL

Whats everyones thoughts, experience with Alpine? I myself have yet to drop into it.

You probably want to switch to the 4H. if you are using only a single balistic weapon the 4H has a much smaller hit box. Side note is anone else running with almost no right rear armor? i think most of the right rear on the 4g is counted as front not rear.

#15 Jericho917

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

My 4G with dual AC2. I have also played with a dual ac5 build but find the rapid fire of the chained ac2 to be more fun.

#16 Snougar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

I love my 4SP at the moment. 54 damage on alpha, and runs pretty cool at 1.31 efficiency.

4x Medium Pulse Lasers.
2x SRM6.
XL 250.
17 Double Heatsinks.

Only downside is the XL does make me less of a toughie in a brawl, but I'm usually supporting the heavies and assaults.

#17 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Im currently running the 4SP as an LRM supporter... the scary thing is. Its faster than a Catapult, has better self defence due to the short range weapons being in the arms and therefore have a much wider firing arc than the torso energypoints of a Catapult and to top it all, being a smaller target without giant Mickeymouse ears with gigantic "shoot me" bulls eyes.

The downside of course is that the launchers are smaller 1*LRM10 and 1*LRM15 and it can carry slightly less ammunition (6 tonns giving 1080 missiles) and of course has less armor due to the Hunchie being 15 tons lighter than a catapult (Although I am running with 336 out of a possible 338 Armor points).

Oh, did I forget to mention, it not only has 4 medium lasers for self defence.. it also has a TAG laser so that I can TAG my own targets.

#18 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 21 February 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

The downside of course is that the launchers are smaller 1*LRM10 and 1*LRM15 and it can carry slightly less ammunition (6 tonns giving 1080 missiles) and of course has less armor due to the Hunchie being 15 tons lighter than a catapult (Although I am running with 336 out of a possible 338 Armor points).

The Hunchback-4J has x2 10-tubes, much better for LRMs than the -SP's x2 6-tube slots. That and fast LRM support is what the Trebuchet is built upon.

#19 Commissar Reev

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBar "Blind Dragon"

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

I haven't changed my Hunchie-4SP from standard melee build: 2 SRM6, 5 ML. With an speed up to 86 km/h and lots of mountain terrain, that I use when closing up for a fight with a long-range mechs - playstyle don't change too much. I tried LRM10 + 10 - almost the one that used by Rushin Roulette ^. But long-range battle is not really for me, so I reversed changes to melee brawler. I got sniped couple times, true, but that made me become more careful. Ambushing and silent hunting - is what I like to do, when dropping on this map. But almost every battle ending up in usual melee brawl, so changing my favorite Hucnhie for a one map - not so critical for me. For now at least. As soon as there will be more careful and accurate snipers in random fights - I will die like an rabbit on the polygon. Cheers.

P.S. - My first post here since registration in 2012, nice.

#20 Th0rsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Not sure if i want to rebuild my SP, got a standard brawling build with 4ml 2srm6 std250 engine. Have to try it but i hope ~90 speed should be enough to work with it even in Alpine.

My 4P runs with a LL in each arm and 7sl, have to try but i think it should still work there.

And my 4J with 2ml 2lrm15+artemis+tag will love Alpine :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users