Dynamic Maps And Why Is Mwo Perfetly Suited For Them

5 replies to this topic

#1 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

First post here..so before you will hate me because I am new, I am playing MWO for several moths and just lurking forums. With addition of a new map, I just had to write something about maps in general.

MWO is relatively slow game...which is great. Mech classes, systems, heat, range etc. are making combat interesting..but what is really not used to full potential are maps. Maps are providing some interesting environment but that's it.. nigh/day/weather is pretty good..even temperature is adding something to gameplay..but actually players are not forced to react on some specific conditions.

So here is a idea. Make maps dynamics.

We already have these temperature stats.. But just try imagine map, where will be huge storm in the atmosphere.. And sometimes, huge storm blast would apply EMP effect on everyone on map..basically disrupting ECM for several seconds and maybe some other systems too.

Another example could be some hot geyser fields..here and there geysers would be erupting and generate huge heat around them..closer you are to these active geysers, more heat you will got of course.. Even there could be huge geyser in the middle...or volcano ..which could erupt once or twice per game..your on board computer could warn you that eruption is iminent...and massive heat wave will hit everyone who is not behind solid cover..like terrain for example.. Imagine massive fight when suddenly 90% mechs will just shut down because of this heat wave.

Or map which is under asteroids bombardment..Again ..on board computer could show you on minimap, where these rocks will hit the ground ..and if you are in impact zone, that warn you even with voice, you have to move.

You have a idea.. Current maps are a bit stale.. I believe maps like these would create much more interesting and fun environment.

Edited by mania3c, 19 February 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#2 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

I hate to be "that guy" but the asteroid bombardment idea doesn't make any sense from a scientific standpoint. Even if asteroids hit a planet with high regular frequency the odds of enough of them hitting a mechwarrior sized battlefield to put into a map doesn't make any sense (even though it sounds badass).

#3 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostBroad5ide, on 19 February 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

I hate to be "that guy" but the asteroid bombardment idea doesn't make any sense from a scientific standpoint. Even if asteroids hit a planet with high regular frequency the odds of enough of them hitting a mechwarrior sized battlefield to put into a map doesn't make any sense (even though it sounds badass).

This is sci-fi..we could make any explanation we want..for example..it doesn't need to be a planet.. it could be small space rock..something like mining base in space..on orbit of some planet..without atposhpere but with enough gravity to keep mechs on that rock..hell..there could be some build in gravity core inside that rock so mechs just don't fly away, when they will be hit by AC or something.. and this rock is actually in the another asteroid field.. or inside the ring of some planet so impact of some ice particles is pretty regular..you know..anything.. :lol:

I think this thread is not about approving or disapproving which one of these planets may or may not exists..but it's about wild ideas how to bring some dynamics into maps design :D

Edited by mania3c, 19 February 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#4 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

I like the idea. Would add more visual flair as well. And Betty could be announcing the temperature at the start of the match ("Ambient temperature: 2-5 degrees").

#5 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

View Postwickwire, on 20 February 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

I like the idea. Would add more visual flair as well. And Betty could be announcing the temperature at the start of the match ("Ambient temperature: 2-5 degrees").

Is she really betty? ;) heh..

But well, actually this could bring some more life to the fight..when "Betty" could talk to you a bit more..maybe at the beginning of the match..but also during these phases when nothing is happening. But it's true..sometimes she is really annoying. "Warning: Targeted! Warning: Incoming missiles! Left Torso destroyed! Right arm - critical damage! Warning:Targeted! SRM ammo, depleted, AMS ammo, destoryed! Center Torso:Critical damage!"

Yea.. this actually happen to me few minutes ago :lol:

#6 IrrelevantFish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

CryEngine 3 does allow a certain amount of map dynamics, but some of the options you're mentioning would require some serious coding and alterations. Yes, it would be pretty, but I personally don't think it would be worth the time and effort, particularly right now. The feature-list is long enough already.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users