Best tabletop MW moment?

53 replies to this topic

#1 Madpoet

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Just a shout out to the tabletop lovers out there. Been many, many years since I played MW TT but way back in 1993 or 1994 Sam Lewis (President of FASA at the time) came to ConnCon one year and decided to sit in with our merc group in a MW session. This is back when they were experimenting (here in the NE anyway) with doing a Living City type of thing with MW, where we could grow the characters over time at different cons. Our group was called "The Crazy 8s" (later briefly featured in one of Stackpole's books... we got slaughtered!) and we proceeded to show Sam exactly how much fun a game of MW can be ;) He actually said after the session that he always thought MW was a little boring until he played with us compared to the actual Battletech piece. So almost 2 decades later, it is pretty cool to still see MechWarrior as the name.

#2 Artifact

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Last year at Gencon, I was playing in the Gencon Solaris Arena tourney. I was in a crappy little Fireball. I landed an 11+ charge on a guy, who used a chit to force a reroll. I then rerolled another 11, and blew the guy's mech up with a 11 hex charge. It was glorious. Absolutely glorious. The table went wild, and it totally made the entire tourney for me.

Edited by Artifact, 28 May 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#3 Woska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

I was playing a three way brawl with a couple of friends, just for the fun of it. One friend had a Maurader that wouldn't die. Four mechs had surrounded it from point blank range, but it just wouldn't die. One leg was destroyed, but it didn't fall. One arm was shot off. The armor was holed all over the place. But we could never quite get the right combination of critical hits to finish off the mech.

That mech was nearly the last one standing. Finally it succumbed to an AC/20 hit to the other leg.

#4 Kid Weeb

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDundalk, MD

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Just for grins my friends and I decided to forego the heat aspect of TT rules for one game. Unfortunately my Timber Wolf was the victim of an alpha-strike from a Kodiak on the 3rd turn of the game. Getting a face full of Ultra AC-20, an ER Large Laser, 2 Streak 6's and 8 ER Medium lasers - nothing says dead better than that. Afterwards, we reinstated the heat rules, thankfully!

#5 Grinner

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've got two actually...

First was one of my very first times playing the game, years back. It was at a small convention at my community college, and we actually had both Randall Bills and Loren Coleman show up (the first wrote much of the rule book, the second wrote a lot of great novels in the series). We were doing WoB vs Clan Jade Falcon I believe. I was in a Hellbringer (Loki) A Variant, and had lost my right torso with the LRM 20 and the pair of machine guns. I decided it was a good time to dump the ton of machine gun ammo that was in my center torso, as I no longer had anything to shoot it with, and who the heck puts ammunition in the center torso anyways? At any rate, I start dumping ammo and manage to weather another round of fire, though I'm forced to make a piloting skill roll because I've taken my 20 points of damage. I fail. I then roll which direction I fall, and end up landing on my back right on the ammo as it comes out the back of my mech. Randall and Loren had shocked faces and Randall had to look up in the rule book he had a major hand in creating what happens. Short story, things did not end well for that Loki. Was a great moment, even if I lost the mech the whole table had a good laugh.

Second story was during a Solaris Grinder event. We were playing in the Factory. Each player could choose 4 mechs, one from each weight class, with one of them being clan. We then rolled a d4 to see which mech we would field. I rolled a 1 and brought in my 35 ton Spector (the 3067 upgrade with Stealth Armor). I was maneuvering around the edges of the map harassing with my large laser and doing the occasional dash in to shoot up someone's back as the bigger mechs fought in the center. At some point I maneuvered to the upper level of the factory. I took a gauss rifle to the leg and had it torn clean off. At this point the fire stopped coming my way as I'd fallen behind cover and it was every man for himself on the main factory floor and I was no longer much of a threat. I managed to get the Spector upright again though missing a leg I was going to be running anywhere any time soon. The next round one of the combatants ended his movement exactly seven hexes away. It was a 100 ton Clan Bane (Kraken), the scary one with 2 Ultra AC 20's and a mess of ATMs. It had been engaging a pair of other mechs and wasn't paying any attention to me. I had a crazy notion and attempted a DFA, as I still had all my jump jets. The Kraken fired one of UAC-20's at me and send the rest of it's fire at other targets, figuring I wasn't much of a threat. He missed, and I rolled for the DFA attack. The dice came up with a 12, I actually connected. Then, for location, it was all to the head. I did enough damage to crack through the armor and hit the internals, and rolled an 8 to get a single critical. Rolled the die and got a 3. Right in the cockpit. The whole table erupted, we went nuts. My poor little one legged light mech managed to bury its foot straight in the cockpit of the 100 ton clanner. I didn't survive the fall after connecting with the DFA, crushed a side torso and lost the XL engine to make my mech a combat kill. But still, one of my greatest moments ever in the TT.

#6 Gauge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'm not a BT TT player, but I play lots of other games where dice/'luck can play a part... so when I found this picture, it spoke to me, even across systems. I still laugh looking over it.

The Saddest Dire Wolf

#7 Noravar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts
  • LocationValley of the Dragon

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Gota be the moment I took my Custom Locust again my friend's Atlas 1v1 I destroyed him. Locusts win games.

#8 Anixantheas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Actually one of the best moments came several years after our last Btech game (about 3 months ago). I was cleaning out my library and stumbled across several mech sheets. I'm looking at all of them, and I notice a disturbing trend. During that last battle, the destroyed mechs that I was holding in my hand were all stripped clean from the left torso over, front and back. Rights were completely pristine with the exception of a few errant ,what looks to be, srm shots.

That alone made me dig out all my old books and delve back into my ancient books (you know that FASA years)

#9 Buzzlight

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Used to play TT back in the day. We were a lance of assault mechs fighting successive waves of light, medium and heavy mechs on an urban map. One of my friends was piloting the King Crab with its twin AC/20s. The terrain was fraught with LOS issues because of the buildings. During the assault v. light wave, one small 20 tonner wanted to jump to safety, but after much consideration it was determined that the King Crab had LOS on this mech`s back. Having no other target, he opened up with the 2 AC/20s and hit! He rolled center torso for the location on each hit, and we saw the damage transfered from (negligeable) back armor, to internals to front armor and removing it clean off. So having the center torso completely blown away, the head, arms and legs just toppled to the ground (think classic Looney Tunes with head hanging in midair for a few seconds) to the sound of mass hysteria around the table.

#10 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

A Clan vs Clan battle where one Ghost Bear trinary fought it out with a Smoke Jaguar binary. No Zellbrigen; the memorable part was that halfway through the battle, one particular SJ Warhammer IIC with a completely open CT and one point of Internal Structure started to single-handedly fight seven enemy 'Mechs for six rounds and eventually won.

At the end of the battle, the Warhammer had no arms, no side torsos, three armor points on the head (three srms rang the Mechwarrior's bell), five internal structure in the legs (4 in one and 1 in the other), two functioning leg actuators (Hip and foot in the left leg), 1 gyro hit and 2 engine hits.

The 'Mech simply would not die and it would kill one opponent every round. It was pretty damn awe-inspiring.

#11 Xygor Grasfin

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Friend and I playing a lance on lance game. I charge his atlas with my warhammer. Get a critical hit to the head, kill the pilot. He shot his srm 6 and citted my gyro taking my mech down when we resolved damage. good times.

#12 GhostPenalty

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 8 posts
  • LocationIone, CA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

HAHA my most memorable moments was when I had a Stinger up against a Wasp and a Locust. The Wasp and I were always losing initiative and at one point when the Wasp got destroyed and i was next i attempted to destroy the damned thing but when the Locust got to go, it decided to go behind me and literally rape me... HAHA

#13 sierra gulf

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

During my high school and early college days, my brother, a couple of cousins and I would often play the TT on camping trips. We'd always try to start up mercenary campaigns with myself as game master but one of my cousins had a tendency to get his head destroyed and character killed pretty much every trip. One time in particular he was commanding a Berserker. Before he could bring his hatchet to bare on any opponents however, a lucky hit blew the arm off. He subsequently suffered what must be the ultimate irony of having his head caved in by a clubbing attack using his that same arm.

#14 Drogo-MA

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

I have two moments from the last two months. First one was during a solaris free for all where we rolled the mechs we played. I ended up with a Jenner among a host of heavies and 1 assault. The guy who won the roll and picked the assault (a Zeus) decided he would go after me for a quick kill. However a buddy of his warned him of me and my Jenner (still one of my favorite mechs) it seemed I kept winning the initiative roll and kept getting in close behind and lucking out with my firing rolls. When the smoked cleared, he Zeus was depleted in armor and I was barely touched. BUT!!!! I was later ganged up upon by the other players....but the Assault mech player was amazed and shocked he lost to a Jenner.

The other story was I was visiting a buddy who actually introduced me to the game and we decided to have a good match out of old time sake. It was a wicked 10K BV battle and the highlight was the Devastator vs the Atlas. Well, the Atlas and Devastator ended up going toe to toe and my Atlas was killed by a Gauss shot to the head, however, I unleashed a barrage of SRM 6 and med pulse lasers and escaped with a head shot kill of my own by rolling a host of box cars to get the kill same turn. We both had a laugh but I gave a tonne of respect for the Devastator as it held up nicely to the Atlas (still the king of all mechs in my mind)

#15 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

My Best Battletech "moment" would have to be pulling of a successful Solaris VII Campaign. I had players writing up bios, finding pictures for their mechwarriors. Called it the Solaris Olympiad...meeting of each factions best warriors (Great Houses, Clans, Periphery powers, and ComStar / WoB) Each player represented their faction in battle, each faction determined which mechs the players were able to purchase.

We play hexless on actual terrain. So in order to play the arenas of Solaris I had to make some serious terrain. The two I'm most proud of are below...

The Factory:

Posted Image

Video walkthrough of Factory Arena:
http://youtu.be/Yqs9SeViT0U

The Coliseum:

Posted Image

Video walkthrough of the Coliseum:
http://youtu.be/MrPDfnZh0R4

You can see the rest of the arenas and the details of the Solaris Campaign over at the Campaign Blog...
http://solarisseven.blogspot.com/

#16 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

Back in the mid 90's i introduced a friend of mine to BT for the first time. He was thinking of joining my regular sessions and wanted to try it out first.

We set up a simple 2v2 with med's and the old paper maps and cardboard mech stand-ups.

Part way through one of his mechs lost a side torso, and i explained to him that the arm was still considered intact, mostly for salvage purposes. In an off-hand kinda way i mentioned that it could be used as a club.

Sure enough his other mech left it's position to run over and pick in up. He ended up crush in the cockpit of one of my mechs after a couple of tries, and even though he still lost, he was hooked on the game ever since. I still play with him online to this day.

#17 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

I started playing in the 90s when a good friend of mine introduced me to Battleteh/ Mechwarrior. For 4 months I was in a clan campaign(weird RPG a clanner). Bad, GM, but, noone else at this Game store would runa Clan Campaign. In the last month we brought in a new guy. He imediately bought all the books and huge amount of mechs.

He decided he wanted to GM a campiagn. 6 player at the table all said yes. I was the newest, besides the GM. Everyone maid kick *** character with leadership and tactics and great to hit numbers. I made what would then be a Tech/ nurse/Meacwarrior.

ok, so we all sat down. We in a merc company sent out to investigate a sighting on unknown Mechs. Immediate contact with as uperior force. The captain is targeted and killed. ( Several friendly mech died to BOX TEXT ). SoHere we are hundred of miles away from anything from any city. We called for back up we are down to 7 mechs out of a coompany ( The PCs ).

House Unit respond, "We are bin overrun at the star post. We are bugging out. GOOD LUCK"

We extract ourselves. Some severaly damaged. I gues the enmy knew we wer not gong anyplace and would let a fesh unt find us.

So we find a place to rest, talk, and re-organize. Ok who wants t be commander. Nooen trusted eah other ( and this new GM). So they all turn and point at me. I tell them I have no tactics.

"Guess your learning on the fly kid" The 1st ten battles are done unskilled. The next 10 are straight up rolls. after that you have the skill.

Non of us had a real life so we play 3 to 6 days a week for 2 years. By, the end I was a tactic roll 1. In command of 4 Regiments. Yes it might be consider Power gaming, fought every battle being out numbered. We also did regiment vs regiment battles, with support tanks and infantry.

Every see 2 reinforced companies of assaults mix it up so close that it is also hand to hand. when that 1st fusion happens? MFG. The longest fusion chain in a row was 6 tightly packed assualts. that battle had 3 or 4 fusion chains.

#18 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Two stories come to mind.

My first GenCon, my wife's too and it was her idea to go, had a high moment when we played the Grinder at the Battletech tables.
She had a Hornet and managed to chase a Grand Dragon around because she did nothing but DFA the guy when he was 3 hexes from her.
The greatest thing about it, she actually hit most of the time. Three instances of DFA one manages to crumble the head armor, the other an arm I think, but the last one missed and he ran in the opposite direction to get away from her.

He ran right into four other players with light 'mechs. One was a Spider who decided to try and DFA him.
I couldn't stop laughing that day. She also managed to get a gift certificate from Catalyst and used it to help fund some books she wanted to get.

The second story was during a campaign we ran, I played the OpFor (opposing force) since I was GM'ing the thing.
One of the players had a Vindicator 6 levels up on a building and I had a Locust near the building and a Wasp within jumping range.
I decided why the heck not and tried to DFA the Vindie.
Knocked that pilot off the building into my Locust.
Locust slams into another building due to displacement.
Vindicator lost his gyros, Locust lost the right arm, but I practically lost my breath as I giggled like crazy.
The player was a good sport about it, in fact he just loved the fact he survived a 6 level drop like that.

#19 TekN0Slave

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

my first game ever played was at Chicago comic con, 2 years b4 wizard bought them out. Was wandering round to find a group setting up a 16 player campaign. They had some house mechs to choose from and a couple guys i had met a previous cons decided to help me out a lil (was about 13yo or 14yo). Somewhere close to 3 hours into the game my atlas found itself in an awkward position, overheated from its lasers and out of ammo(thunder shell augmented LRM, and gauss rifel) a hatchetman managed to crit my left torso almost clean though. Somehow i managed to clear through the checks of rolls all needing crits nearly to kick the hatchetman and punt his head unit off(was on higher ground) thus leaving the other team with 3 scouts and a longbow, and our team with one assault mech down. I think the guys used me as bait for their ranged attacks but oh well it was fun to keep rolling 6's and 20's for 5 straight rolls then to crit fail on my own mech falling and dead.

#20 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I still play with that GM from above. Out the 6 at the Table now only one other is from the original group. We are in a campian were we are duplication the Grey Death Legions rise and fall. Only me and one other know how it will all end. We have been playing for 2 years now, twice a month. Started in 3025 and is now 3058. I am on my 3rd character. But, that is another story.

We had a lance of mixed heavies and assualt on the factory maps against Mechs and vehicles. We were playing ring around the rosey inside and outside the factory. The enemy kept using the brigdes that go bettween the factories. Then one stopped on the bridge to fire at us. Right above another enemy Mech. The commander called for an Alpha Strike on the bridge. The enemy Mech fell 4 stories and did a 2 lvl DFA to another enemy Mech. That was the last time they used that bridge.

Edited by Skylarr, 29 May 2012 - 12:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users