228 replies to this topic

#41 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I pretty much agree with the topic starter. While I give the highest praise to the gameplay, I have to admit the game looks much worse than other games even on the earlier versions of CryEngine and even some games well before it. Environment is really not up to date, by that I mean textures, they lack details and it makes the immersion a hard thing to get. Especially the fact that the mech is about 10 meters tall. There is not enough small details to feel the scale. The ground is grainy, the trees are pretty much abstract, the COLOR PALETTE is just arghhhhhhh, it feels like we are back to good old 256 colors and I'm playing Blood.. No, really, the picture of the landscape strangely feels similar in terms of texture quality and color palette. It feels like I can really count the colors on each of the maps. And it's mainly the textures problem.
It's tearing me apart to look at WoT and think why does it look better without any CryEngine?
Even Living Legends have much more immersive and picturesque maps.
Mechwarrior Online is a great game, it has definitely the greatest mechwarrior gameplay, the awesome mech design and promise even more.. And I will play it even this way, but hey.. you know)

Edited by Duncan Jr Fischer, 20 February 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#42 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

I am o.k. with the mech gfx but the environment could be somewhat more colourful. Not every map of course, Frozen City is fine, but even caustic wins from some more saturation. A sunny, green Forest would be great, hopefully a real jungle map sometime in the future where colour and sound just explodes on you. We'll see what the developers come up with.

I would not set any hopes on the DX11 version though. There are some advantages to it but in general the game looks and plays pretty much the same until new, specific assets are created that make use of the advanced features. Just switching the DX version has very little effect in itself.

Different settings for the engine can also have an effect on the perceived gfx quality. It would be good if some more settings were exposed so we don't have to fiddle with the .ini files.

#43 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

View PostSifright, on 20 February 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

that explains why the maps all look like a grey blurred out mess?

Yes it's very sad that the trees are grey, the floor is grey, the sky is grey, the water is grey. Even some rocks are grey. All grey and all blurred out.

#44 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostEvilSpaceOrc, on 20 February 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Thread title pretty much says it all, I'm getting really annoyed by how irritating some of the graphical shortcomings are.

I don't believe that its only me who gets so distracted by all the issues with the parallax materials for example, if you look at those surfaces at any angle higher than lets say 30 it appears too heavily distorted (and in CryEngine SDK there is a single slider to adjust that...). It looks really silly when you are moving over the terrain and you can see the rocks kind of morphing as you pass by. If there is any material blend, you will see depth of the rock material change, while for example snow on top of them will seems to be floating above, completely breaking the immersion.

There is no environmental destruction.

There are no ballistics.

Rockets seem to fly through rocks and buildings if the collision should happen soon after launching, so collisions are not awesome either.

And the game barely ran on my older rig with GTX460, so where is all this processing power going? Crysis looked much better in '07 and the maps seemed to be larger and you could collapse almost every structure and chop down trees.

I know it is still a beta, but without anyone complaining about it nothing will be done.

The game runs fine on my laptop's GTX360M.

#45 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 February 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

This topic sint about what you think... its about poor coloring and shading... making things "hard to see" on some maps. I understand realism.... but I think its a step too far... as the 'hard to see' imagry on some maps is not nice to look at, and is actually straining your eyes just to see things clearly. In short... we dont enjoy it.

I kinda like the blur. It looks like it does when I go into that scary outside place. Little bit of haze, wind blown snow and ice crystals, smog.

View PostTaizan, on 20 February 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Yes it's very sad that the trees are grey, the floor is grey, the sky is grey, the water is grey. Even some rocks are grey. All grey and all blurred out.

Hmmmmm.... mine aren't all that grey. I wonder what is set differently on our computers and/or clients?

#46 Sifright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostTaizan, on 20 February 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

It's called a colour filter overlay, PGI is very fond of using those and it makes the maps looks awful.

and yes, even the trees look grey everything is dull and lifeless.

View PostMercules, on 20 February 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

I kinda like the blur. It looks like it does when I go into that scary outside place. Little bit of haze, wind blown snow and ice crystals, smog.

Hmmmmm.... mine aren't all that grey. I wonder what is set differently on our computers and/or clients?

he was being sarcastic.

Edit: wait mercules are you saying the maps in MWO look even remotely like where you live because only ****.

What kind of place do you live where all the colours are so muted and dull? It must be incredibly depressing when even the green plant life looks like that.

Edited by Sifright, 20 February 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#47 Zapmunk

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

r_ColorGrading = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0

Half the game's graphics problems solved.

#48 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I don't think I've ever seen the maps in anything but Thermal Vision...

#49 Arkmaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

I'm quite like the graphics.

I'm glad the palette is more drab, it suits the material.

#50 Ricktor Black

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm not sure we are playing the same game because I think it looks gorgeous.

#51 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'm not sure you've adequately compared it to any other new titles in that case.

#52 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostSifright, on 20 February 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

It's called a colour filter overlay, PGI is very fond of using those and it makes the maps looks awful.
and yes, even the trees look grey everything is dull and lifeless.
he was being sarcastic.

I was - because you are exaggerating by calling it a "grey blurred out mess".
To me the colours look very natural, trees are dark green, water is clear blue (check out the waterfall / river on Forest Colony for example), ground is brownish / mossy green. And the snow is grey-white.

Maybe we are talking about two different things here, the maps all generally are a bit hazy / foggy and that adds a bit of greyish bloom. I still can see enough coloured details, there just aren't very many bright colours, but then again this is not Legoland.

#53 M a y h e m

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGMT -8:00 - Vancouver B.C.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Close game, delete your shaders folder. Restart.
AV

View PostSignal27, on 20 February 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

I'm having a problem with "greyed out" textures on certain maps. But from what I understand the devs are well aware of this and working on it.

#54 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

The matte texture bug on Frozen persists through that fix.

#55 M a y h e m

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGMT -8:00 - Vancouver B.C.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

It is gorgeous and if you don't have a computer that can run the game at
it's full visual quality could be the issue.

View PostRicktor Black, on 20 February 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

I'm not sure we are playing the same game because I think it looks gorgeous.

#56 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

I am quite happy with the graphics, color's and details in the current build. It is by far the best looking Mechwarrior game I have ever played and the first PC game I have wanted to play badly enough to purchase a decent computer and shut the Xbox down for a good, long nap........so my standards may be a little lower.

With that said, at the very least I need tree's to crack and fall as I walk through them, splinter and explode as ballistics hit them and catch fire when lasers touch them.

Edited by Pendraco, 20 February 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#57 Devin Takkar

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 20 February 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

The matte texture bug on Frozen persists through that fix.

Try activating V-Sync. That solved the problem for me completely.

#58 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

I can't even fathom this topic. You think this game is ugly? Go back and play the graphical masterpiece that was Mechwarrior 2, and then post some compare/contrast pictures. I agree that most of the maps are kind of dark and a little bland when it comes to color palette, but it's not so big a deal that I'd go out and call the game an ugly pile of junk. I'm still looking foward to the day when they put in a tropical island-esque map; that'd be an environment I'd like to play on.

#59 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

View Posttyrone dunkirk, on 20 February 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I can't even fathom this topic. You think this game is ugly? Go back and play the graphical masterpiece that was Mechwarrior 2, and then post some compare/contrast pictures. I agree that most of the maps are kind of dark and a little bland when it comes to color palette, but it's not so big a deal that I'd go out and call the game an ugly pile of junk. I'm still looking foward to the day when they put in a tropical island-esque map; that'd be an environment I'd like to play on.

Great comparison bro. Spot on. You are literally the man.

And yeah I wish this engine could do tropical.

Posted Image

#60 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

the game looks good. there are just texture pop in issues in alpine map, so you get low rez textures before the high rez pops in.

and as for mechs. they added a bunch of ugly dirt and grim textures. that don't work very well with the lighting effects to look realistic. so in the end the low rez dirt textures makes the whole mech model look low rez.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users