Autocannons: I Can't Hit Anything On The Run

5 replies to this topic

#1 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I will come right out and admit my ineptitude with ballistic weapons - please help me get better. I can do just fine hitting targets when I stand perfectly still - even when the other guy is moving I understand needing to lead the target and the way convergence works in this game to hit half my shots. But when I'm the one running around I literally cannot hit what's right in front of me. Specifically, when I start circling around an opponent, then even if he's standing perfectly still I can't hit him. Does my movement affect cannon trajectory? Because I'm not leading the target in a case like that.

#2 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Movement does affect how much you lead a target (edit: even if the target is standing still). I similarly have issues with ballistics due to my ping and found that the best way to learn to get used to ballistics is to use either 1 ac with high RoF or 2 with chainfire. Watch where the first round hits then adjust accordingly. After a while, it gets instinctive and you won't even have to think about it too much.

One other issue is if you're too close to the target as in his/her face, sometimes the rounds just fly off in odd directions.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 20 February 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Movement does not affect trajectory, but the issue arises from the server-authoritative* firing system; because both you and the target are moving, both you and the target are not in the same location when the shot is fired as you were when you pulled the trigger.

Moving, turning your legs, and turning your torso all at the same time while firing can cause all kinds of wacky ballistic angles.

What can you do about it? If you are trying to fire ballistics while circling and your shots consistently fall short of the target, look at how much you missed by and add that much more target leading in addition to how much lead you would otherwise require.

*note: many other games use server-authoritative firing with fewer issues. They have had more time to complete their net code and lab compensation. Stay tuned for the 'state rewinding' code to come online, as it is a form of lag compensation.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 20 February 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#4 Zekez

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

I use ballistic weapons a lot in this game. When both mechs are circling it is much harder to hit your opponent, that is all a matter of practice with your weapon of choice. When your opponent is stationary you should be able to put your cross-hairs on him and hit no problem. There may be a bit of travel depending on your angle on the target. Try working with an AC2 to get an idea of ballistic trajectory, it will leave you some room to mount lasers for punch. Then it is just a matter of adjusting for the different shell speeds. Good Luck!

#5 Gothbloodman

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

This is reminiscent of an experiment we did in high school where two people were sitting across from each other on a moving platform. If you threw the ball across, you would miss by a mile. So you almost had to "double" lead the ball to the target.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't hit the broad side of a barn either. I like what p4r4g0n says. I have also noticed that, especially when close, your arm / weapon location has a lot of impact on angle. Just keep playing with it and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

#6 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Using a mech with an arm mounted ballistic weapon may also help you aim, as you have a greater range of movement for circling attacks. I'd suggest a CN9-A for this, perhaps with an A/C10 or an A/C-2 and some srm6's.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users