Question About Ecm

40 replies to this topic

#21 ShadowThunder77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

sorry for being slightly off topic but is the current disrupton time on PPC and ERPPC really long enough for Anti-ECM tatics??

#22 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

to answer your second question no

#23 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostShadowThunder77, on 20 February 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

any serious answers??

I hope that it will be removed, changed. You should not stop playing.

#24 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostShadowThunder77, on 20 February 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

sorry for being slightly off topic but is the current disrupton time on PPC and ERPPC really long enough for Anti-ECM tatics??

No, it's completely useless. There's no way to shoot a cocky raven in the face when he tries to circle you, then blow him apart with streaks.

It's not possible, man. You need to get out of here before the ECM police shows up.

#25 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostThorstine, on 20 February 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

Playing against an ECM mech forces you to be a better player. Whats wrong with that? When was the last time you played? It really isn't a big deal anymore...

Ironically, playing with ECM only requires you to be a mediocre player. Whether it is a big deal or not, it still is unbalanced.

If you have decent aim with PPC chainfire, it works well. The problem is, it completely shuts ECM off. ECM should not shut down LRM/SSRM completely. PPC shouldn't shut down ECM completely. Hardcounters are BAD! This is a poor mechanic. Games are having to do more with what you bring and less to do with the skill level of the pilot.
You drop without ECM, PPC or TAG vs a team that brought ECM. -- You are fighting an uphill battle.
If you drop with TAG vs a team that did not bring ECM. -- You now have wasted dead weight, that could have been better used else where.
Proper balance is when you want something despite its limitations, because it is useful in a good pilot's hands. Currently ECM requires no skill to use. TAG is useless if no ECM is around. In other words:
  • give me a reason to not want to take ECM every single time
  • give me a reason to take TAG despite the inclusion of ECM.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 20 February 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#26 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

its 4 seconds. But i don't think its a really good idea to have PPC be the counter to ECM.

ECM still needs a nerf. if you play a light mech, you can't mount PPC and you get slaughtered by 3Ls.

#27 ShadowThunder77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

then what would be a good anti ECM tatic aside from tag or direct fire weapons??

#28 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

and a 7 ton item that requires skill to use just to counter a 1.5 ton passive ability is just silly. not sure if the devs know the definition of balance

Edited by Tennex, 20 February 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#29 ShadowThunder77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

then what would be a good anti ECM tatic aside from tag or direct fire weapons??

#30 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostShadowThunder77, on 20 February 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

The only winning move is to not play. There's simply no way to deal with this imba piece of gear, that we've had for over two months now.

#31 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I feel the ecm is necessary and a great idea, it wont be going away anytime soon. I do agree with the OP that this item still is absurdly overpowered. Part of the fun in playing mechwarrior is designing your mech and making decisions on what to equip. The ecm is an auto include and its such a powerful auto include it also makes other variants and chassis of the class considerably weaker choices. If the ecm was as potent as it is in the mechwarrior universe you would see every mech variant with one included.

I would like to see the ecm available on all chassis but with some large nerfs to it making it a decision to equip. For instance if the aoe stealth ecm was changed to cost 8 tons atlas ddc pilots might actually have to consider equipping it or not. I would actually probably still include it if it was 2-3x the weight simply because it is so strong for the group. This would however mean that in a 1v1 with an atlas not including the ecm I would be at a disadvantage.

#32 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostShadowThunder77, on 20 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

since ECM dosent seem to be going anywhere and i refuse to play till its gone is it time for me to uninstall the game?? :lol: :rolleyes: :ph34r:

I think you answered it yourself which is why some people are mocking you on this thread. What you're really doing is trying to get folk to convince you to stay for some reason. So man up and make a decision. Either you refuse to participate because one facet of the game breaks your ability to enjoy it or leave. It's really that simple.

But soooo many people have adapted to it already, whether they like how it works or not, so ask yourself who or what the real issue here is.

Or should i just repost Vassago's tiny violin picture?

#33 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Anti ECM tactics are don't use lrms or streaks, make sure to have weapons YOU can hit a raven with (varies by pilot... for me it's lasers). If you're a fast mech, boost your speed and support your team's fast ecm mech. Your jenner and your teammate's spider can take that raven! If you're slow stay with your ddc. If you have no Ecm always be thinking about how to take cover from lrms and cover your teammate's backs. Remember a raven only does 8 damage with a missile volley. Roll your torso and don't let the enemy atlas shoot you in the back while you chase the raven.

Mostly be aware that there could be a lot of enemies close so don't chase lights into traps. Expect close range intense firefights.

You can't make your teammates help you solo, so focus on helping your teamates, don't try to duel because it is probably a trap.

Ecm is too powerful for its tradeoffs (1.5 tons), but it doesn't let that atlas deal more dame or take more ct hits.

Edited by DanNashe, 20 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#34 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostShadowThunder77, on 20 February 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

You need more than that??? :lol:

#35 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Self designation radar and radar sharing are two different things. Unfortunately they are regarded as the same in MWO. In fact the guided missile system is built into this system as well. All of this should be split with LRM and SSRM given their own unique guidance systems. ECM should interrupt radar sharing between enemies within and outside the bubble. Those outside the bubble can still share targets uninterrupted. It should it affect the radar of someone with direct los to the ECM shielded target. PPC's EMP effect should temporarily interrupt most electronics. This is where PGI could have added a guided missile counter, in the form of the PPC EMP. Upon a successful hit on a LRM boat or spotter, he would lose his HUD for a split second (just 1 second is necessary). He would then need to re-acquire his lock-on.

But yeah, ECM sucks within the MWO universe.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 20 February 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#36 Windsaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

First, don't carry a TAG. I have yet to see it used effectively to bring down an ECM light mech and the ECM Atlas is not a big problem to begin with.
An additional med-laser will do you more good.

If you are another light without ECM: Run!
Run back to your team-mates and stay with them until you are sure he doesn't follow you.

If you are another light with ECM: Counter him. If you are alone then try to lure him to your mates. If it does not work, ignore him for now, and avoid a conflict. Unless he is also alone: Then may the best mech win.
The very best tactic is if you are paired with another light and both of you are carrying streaks. Then he is easy prey.

If you are a heavy or assault: If you are alone: Run!
If you are with your group and already engaging the enemy: ignore him for the most part. Only target him if you don't have more easy targets. Occasionally fire at him just enough to show him that a single ECM-light is still vulnerable if facing too many enemies.
Once you have brought down the heavier enemies, finish off the surviving ECM-lights. They die easily enough if they are the last mechs standing.

Basically: The only thing that is saving you from an ECM/streak combo in the hands of a non-bad player is either to use the same ECM/streak combo against him (the rock-stone-scissors problem) or wait until he makes a mistake or is the only enemy left standing.

Edited by Windsaw, 20 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#37 Smeghead87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

If you can't beat them, join them. Jump into an ECM mech yourself and run counter.
Also your aim won't improve by not playing.

#38 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostSmeghead87, on 20 February 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

If you can't beat them, join them. Jump into an ECM mech yourself and run counter.
Also your aim won't improve by not playing.

True. If I'm having a bad day, I jump in my D-DC. It's greatest counter being the new Alpine map.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 20 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#39 Xeanth

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSeattle WA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

A easy fix would to give ALL lights ECM slots/hard points...It would ballance out the lights, so they are more effective against each other, and give a specific place on said lights to target, destroying said ECM unit.

So...if all lights who chose to equip ECM could only put it in, lets say, there left arm, taking out said arm would destroy the ECM unit.

Edited by Xeanth, 20 February 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#40 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Uninstall and wait till they fix it/if they fix it, itherwise you're going to have to risk having so and so odd tonnes of useless

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users