Where Is This Alpine Map You All Speak Of

32 replies to this topic

#1 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

TBH I'm still thinking that is's a myth, I have yet to play on this map in over 50 drops. I bought a 4x cataphract with quad ac5 just for this map and i've completed my elite's and 1/2 way through my master of the mech and still haven't seen this map.

Could be bad luck but that argument only goes so far, By far i'm getting frozen city the most, seen caustic 3 times of those 50 drops, river city 12 between the 2, and forest colony 6 between the 2. That means frozen city 29 times, IMO the randomness of the maps is Broken big time.

Please please please fix this.

I can't stress enough how much this has bothered me, i'm close to leaving MWO for a time because i'm sick of frozen city.

Edited by Ashvins, 20 February 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Consider yourself lucky. It's awful!

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

The cake is a lie. There is no alpine map.

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

It has to happen now, as soon as you make a post on the forum about never getting it, it's going to be alpine 16 times in a row.

#5 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

No consider the fact that this is what they do with every new map. They release it, and then put it in the rotation sparingly at first and once they can determine that the map won't wreck the experience and it's deemed safe, they increase the rotation of it on the servers. It's smart and a wise move. I'll be looking forward to it on increased rotation and I'm curious to see what it looks like on Conquest.

#6 Sigifrid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I do not understand the rampant hate for this map.
The only problem I have with it is that I have not had time to explore all of the avenues of travel yet...

#7 Termius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostAshvins, on 20 February 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

TBH I'm still thinking that is's a myth,

I can't stress enough how much this has bothered me, i'm close to leaving MWO for a time because i'm sick of frozen city.

This.

While i'm not close to leaving I do hate playing Frozen city battles over and over again. Not to mention it takes 10 minutes sometimes to even get into a match. I'm starting to think Alpine is a pratical joke that PGI has set and has made random forums people talk about it to make it seem real.

GIVE ME MY NEW MAP :lol:

Edited by Termius, 20 February 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#8 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

so yeah, It's a great map, but It's tricky to find.

just go north a ways and land your drop ship, find the improbably sized ski lifts behind the abnormally large stand of Juniper and ride that to the top of several mountains that were for some reason hard to see from the air.

Then strap on your mech-skis... you do have mech-skis don't you? (If not you must buy some, so fun.) Anyway Mech-ski cross country for about an hour and you'll find Alpines massive hills, wide valleys and all. Magnificent is it not?

The above is not exactly an exact representation of how to get to Alpine but more a visual metaphor for how it feels to to get there between it being a 1 in 8 chance among 5 unique maps to come up and teh delays dealing with matchmaking last night, today you may be able to skip the ski-lift.

Edited by Agent of Change, 20 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#9 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Went 2-1(got out pointed), in 6 Matches, on Alpine, directly after patching last night . The OP has to simply have some serious buzzard luck. 50 matches and no Alpine? Wowzers.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#10 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

No consider the fact that this is what they do with every new map. They release it, and then put it in the rotation sparingly at first and once they can determine that the map won't wreck the experience and it's deemed safe, they increase the rotation of it on the servers. It's smart and a wise move. I'll be looking forward to it on increased rotation and I'm curious to see what it looks like on Conquest.

Is there no conquest out for Alpine? Or have you simply not run into it yet. Just curious because if there is no conquest that would explain why anyone setting their game mode to any or conquest haven't seen it yet.

Edited by Grimlox, 20 February 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#11 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

My personal Opinion is:
It's a well placed Myth by PGI to get the Splattapult out of the Game.
In 25+ Drops i didn't see it, but Splattapults seems to be extinct either.

#12 Sedant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 243 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Did anyone else keep trying to get it one last time before bed last night? Would have gone something like this, "I got one more in me, come on Alpine!" "Damn it Caustic Valley........ ****, alright, one more time I really want Alpine...." "Come on six pound five ounce cuddled up in a manger sweet baby Jesus let it be Alpine! CRAP..... River City Night..... /wrists" and then give up for the night? Anyone?

#13 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Dropped into it I think twice, maybe three times out of 4 1/2 hours of straight gaming last night, including the downtime to hotfix broken MM.

#14 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

50 games and no alpine? That's wacky, I'm sure Garth would love to look up the stats and see if that's true.

I dropped for two hours last night, the first hour was in a 4 man group, saw Alpine only once. Probably had about 6 or so matches then. I joined into an 8v8 group and dropped for another hour and saw Alpine two more times in 5 or 6 matches. In fact, I saw all the maps last night, which was new for me because the matchmaker had been doing strange things for about a week. On Feb. 14th I played for two hours and only played on Frozen City (night and snow) and River City (Day and Night). Didn't see Caustic or Forest Colony once. Other times the map rotation seemed to get stuck on certain groupings of maps. On the 18th, 50% of my drops seemed to be on Forest Colony (fine by me, I like that map, snow or no snow).

As for your shiny 'phract and Alpine, sorry dude. That map is HUGE and having the wrong mech kinda sucks a lot when it comes up. Kinda like being on Caustic with a 6 PPC Stalker. My first time on Alpine, I had a HBK-4P w/ 8 medium lasers. There's no cover to speak of and everything is wide open. Its hard to get within 270 meters of a target and not get picked apart by misslies, PPCs and ER large lasers.

But, hey, you got to play the hand you're dealt, right?

#15 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

i see alpine too often so it balances out... btw. it sucks :lol:

#16 Dailey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostGrimlox, on 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Is there no conquest out for Alpine? Or have you simply not run into it yet. Just curious because if there is no conquest that would explain why anyone setting their game mode to any or conquest haven't seen it yet.

I can confirm, that yes, there is a conquest version of the map.

#17 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

View PostSedant, on 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Did anyone else keep trying to get it one last time before bed last night? Would have gone something like this, "I got one more in me, come on Alpine!" "Damn it Caustic Valley........ ****, alright, one more time I really want Alpine...." "Come on six pound five ounce cuddled up in a manger sweet baby Jesus let it be Alpine! CRAP..... River City Night..... /wrists" and then give up for the night? Anyone?

No, that was you. :lol:

#18 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

View PostTice Daurus, on 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

View PostGrimlox, on 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

It is in conquest, I got on Alpine 5 times last night playing on any (3 times assault, 2 times conquest).

Conquest is pretty nuts, bases are spread pretty far apart, a fast scout can't cap even the closest within a minute. In one case we blobbed and got out capped, In the other the teams hit each other and the game ended in a wipe out with only epsilon having been capped and in fact traded hands twice.

#19 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

In the 20+ matches I've played since patch I've seen the map twice.

It's mostly been Frozen City for me.

#20 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostSedant, on 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Yep, that was I as well. Half a dozen drops before bed last night, 3 of them on Caustic and the others on Forest and River City. Better luck tonight I hope!

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users