The Best Of Trebuchet Builds

157 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I like the Trebuchet a lot, in fact it's starting to border on infatuation to the point where my true love the Centurion is getting nervous waiting up at nights and starting to check my receipts for signs of foul play.

The Trebuchet does it all.

Here are my best builds:

Starting off my favorite: The TBT-7K "Winifred"
This is an exceptionally mean mech, everyone that's enjoyed a YLW is going to have a field day with it. In Fact that only reason to take a YLW anymore is simply because it can run a XL300 for some impressive speed. But the TBT-7K has the firepower.

STD: 200 Engine
10 DHS
Endo
STD Armor: 288 pnts (Torso's maxed)

AC20 -Left Torso (3 tons of ammo)
x2 Medium lasers - Right torso
x2 SRM4's - Right arm (x2 tons of ammo)

It's a 50 ton mech with an AC20, I love it. I've killed everything and anything with this build. The SRM4's are excellent burst damage paired for an impressive 50 alpha. The best point is AC20 is well protected in your torso and with a cherry on the top the left arm is big blocky and works just like a regular centurion arm in that it's your Shield Arm to tank damage and missiles in between alphas.

I can't express enough how much I like this build. I've dallied with other configurations but at the end of the day I keep coming back to the AC20.

TBT-7M "Jezebell"

This is a true multi-platform battle mech equipped for all ranges and all roles. It works very well at just about any role. The one down side is the need to use an XL, but the up side to that is the speed it brings to the table and the jump jets to get around or out of danger. Heat is not an issue as you switch weapon ranges to bring your weapons to bear, at close range you can cycle in and out with the ERPPC as your heat dictates.

250 XL Engine
Endo
10 DHS
STD Armor: 304 pnts (Torso's maxed, arms almost maxed)
5 Jumpjets

ERPPC - Left Arm
LRM15 - Right Torso (3 tons of ammo)
x2 Mediums - Right Arm
x2 SSRM2 - Left Arm & Left Torso ( 1 tons of ammo)

The ERPPC allows you to take down ECM's from far away or up close allowing you to use streaks. The LRM15 has 3 tons of ammo meaning it should be launching every chance it gets and the 1 ton of streak ammo is good for 25 shots which is typically more than I ever need as up close and personal fighting is not preferred.

TBT-3C "Lyria"

Lyria is simple and uncomplicated. What she brings to the table is pretty straight forward, how she goes about accomplishing it is exceptionally beautiful. 4 Medium lasers backed up by 2 LRM15's + Artemis brings all the firepower of my CPLT-C1 and goes faster.

XL 280 Engine
Endo
12 DHS
STD Armor: 240 pnts (Torso's Maxed)

x4 Medium lasers -1 CT, 2 RA, 1 LA
x2 LRM15+Artemis -1 RT, 1 LA (4 tons of ammo

The speed allows you to get around the battlefield quickly to get position on targets to utilize those LRM15's to the best effect. It's preferable you stay at range until those ammo bins run dry. Be-pop around concentrating your firepower with other allies. When those ammo bins run dry you are free to engage with the 4 medium lasers and with the 90KPH allows you to become quite the hit and run mech.

Light mechs trying to neutralize you are in a for a nasty surprise as you can keep up a continuous stream of fire with 12 DHS.

TBT-4J "Harbringer"

The 4J is my 2nd favorite of the TBT's, for the simple fact that it's the first medium jump sniper around. With only a XL255 it's not as zippy as the other designs but it's still able to keep it's speed up there to out run anything it can't outgun.

XL 255 Engine
Endo
12 DHS
STD Armor: 304 points (Torso's maxed, arms near maxed)

x2 PPC's - LA and RA
x3 Mediums - x2 RA, 1 RA
SRM6 - RT (1 ton of ammo)

The role of the TBT is to use your jumpjets to get position on targets or to pop up and down firing your PPCs. The 12 DHS's allows you to get in quite a lot of salvo's before you have to start practicing heat management.

What's nice about this build is the well rounded aspect to it, when forced into a brawling role the x3 mediums and SRM6's bring a fearsome amount of firepower to mechs not expected it, combine that with your jumpjets you can slink up and over things to open the range to 90m to bring your twin ppc's to bear.

Overall it's a delightful little mech.

Well these are my best builds, I hope you enjoy or at the very least it gets you thinking about what kind of builds you would like to make and when you have them:

POST THEM UP HERE!

I'd love to see what you've got.

-Crow

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I've been working with a modification of the original TBT-7M configuration. No TAG, which sends a lot of typical LRM jockeys straight into fits, but I've found that in general I have little trouble emptying my ammo bins - the Arming Crank here is fast and agile enough with the larger engine to go looking for targets that aren't under ECM coverage. Or, if that's not an option, find something else constructive to do. Like threaten a base cap and disorder the enemy's formation.

The Trebuchet isn't a thing you play like you do a conventional LRM 'Mech. With a TBT, you go and find your own target locks - thus the Beagle probe, to extend my sensor range since I lack the module/quicken my lock speeds since I hate carrying TAG - and you'll often find yourself firing LRMs like mad at four hundred meters or less. At which ranges, I've found, they tend to be a lot nastier than folks are expecting from so-called 'siege weaponry'.

#3 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I was running a 3C build just about exactly as you have it and I did enjoy it. At the moment, however, I've replaced the LRM15s with SRM6s and stuffed in a XL 360 engine for 116.6KPH goodness. I just came off a match of Conquest where I followed a pair of Jenners (and was able to keep up perfectly with them) to cap all the points then sneak around behind the enemy. We picked off their 2 lights plus one of their Trebuchets with ease before moving on to the bigger targets.

I don't have a second Treb yet but I'm planning on definitely picking up the 7M and I think the 5J (I def need more Mechs with jump jets!). The builds you have for them run too slow for my tastes, though. The main reason I wanted Medium Mechs was for a certain balance of speed and firepower. I want to be going at least 90KPH+ otherwise I feel I'm better off in a Heavy. My 'phracts run 71KPH with speed tweak so dropping in a Medium that only does 81KPH just doesn't seem worth it while my phracts are just sitting there in my Mech Bay. Just my personal taste there, though.

If you like that 7K build so much I might suggest a Cataphract 2X ;)

#4 Carcoona

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Currently using my First Trebuchet. A 5N. A good little mech, stuck with the basic traditional setup, 3ML, 2x LRM15. Added a tag and artemis. 11 Double heatsinks, keep it cool most the time, but its not designed for in depth laser brawls. An XL 255 takes its speed up a little, but more importantly when combine with Endo steel, allows 4 tonnes of LRM ammo and 320 armour ( similar to most Centurions). The mech is fast enough to choose its LRM targets, and stay behind cover or heavier mechs. It is a glass cannon but I love the feel of it, and 3ML is enough to finish mechs off when your close up or your LRMS run dry. Tag is handy to get more Cbills with spot/tag bonus's. and helps target ECM mechs for myself and others.

The build is based on my LRM stalker, which used 2LRM15's 1LRM10 with artemis and tag, to shred most targets.

The Trebs ability to fire 30 missles in 1 volley, and then run away is great. Tag just allowes targetting to be that little faster.

Not the best build, but a good Hit and run mech, Very good on the New Alpine map.
5 kills 3 assists cant be bad right?

#5 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I keep tossing around the idea of a AC20 on my 7K, but I really don't want to slow down that much, and the fewer energy mounts makes it seem like an under-performing HBK-4G. I have 7M, 3C and 7K. The K is the only variant I'm having trouble finding a build I like for. Both of the others I tried various builds for, and have decided on favorites (at least for the moment), but I actually liked everything I tried with them.

I bought the 7M first and came up with the same build you're running before I left the mech bay. I wasn't really expecting a lot from it, but I didn't want to give up the missiles (expecting more time on Alpine), and I was pleasantly surprised by how much damage I was able to deal with it. Unfortunately, the mech felt sluggish to me at those speeds, and I didn't feel like I was using to effect, so I went to more high-speed builds. I eventually ended up as kind of a fast brawler/striker with reach, ERPPC/2xML/3xSSRM.

For the 3C I started by just replacing one of the stock MLs with a TAG and ran several matches like that. I was pretty hapy even with that small mod. I did feel I could be a hair more effective in a Cat, but the advantages of not handing the enemy a CTPT/CTF outweighed that concern. Not to mention the nimbleness, narrower profile and lack of "ears." I eventually leaned toward the variants particular strength and rebuilt it as a high-speed striker, but I have much respect for it in a support role.

#6 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Think of the 7K as a Centurion with an AC20.

Solves the problem of perception. A lot of people consider the TBT to be a fragile mech. It's really not, and getting in the habit of using the 7K's left arm as a shield arm is a must, it's big it's bulky and it soaks a lot of damage. As for the sluggishness I am used it, but with speed tweak it helps a lot bring you up to 71 kph.

I am addicted to speed, but in the case of the 7K I prefer a little shock and awe. =)

#7 Solara Shouna

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I just came here to say that your 7K build is outstanding. I'm routinely getting multiple kills a match & 400-500+ damage. Super fun to drive & no one looks at a Treb as a brawling threat. Great job with that build!

#8 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

stay out of close range and out of the open.

yes they can benefit from lag shield, and with two srm's can pack a monster punch for their size and speed. However they're far too fragile for the rigors of brawling or running all willy nilly through the open fields.

if you however disregard this advice, I can only say to you, USE COVER AND BE SNEAKY LIKE A NINJA otherwise you will get broken in half like bricks at a karate convention

with that said however, your 7k build is the reason why nobody should touch the 4g unless they're trying to be an urbie

Edited by Battlecruiser, 23 February 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#9 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Interesting builds. Gives me ideas.

But you forgot the best Trebuchet of them all!

TBT-5N "Apogee"
XL300 (96kph pre-tweak)
2xLRM15 w/4-5 tons of ammo.
1 TAG (left arm)
3 MLs (right arm)

I find TAG invaluable for targeting D-DC in their ECM bubble. The extra torso twist of the 5N makes it great for moving around while looking back to maintain TAG and target lock. I have loved my 5N as a fast missile support mech, and had plenty of 700+ damage matches in it.

#10 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

7K, Alias "Mah Bucket"
Posted Image
it only runs 3 tons of AC20 ammo and 1 ton of streak... your free to fidle with the build as you will, if you realy want another ton of 20 ammo you can drop the 2 streaks for 2 reg SRM2's/1SRM 4 and youl be good to go.
(ps thats without speed tweek, still need my last treb)

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

As someone that can't aim or shoot and needs to L2play I've had the best luck with:

TBT-7M

x2 PPCs - one in each arm
x3 SSRMs
XL 300 Engine @106kph with speedtweak
13 DBL HS
FF Armor
Endo Steel

I hang back and do direct fire support and keep the light mechs off the heavier mechs. Tried it with ERPPCs but wasn't worth it since:

A. I'm fast enough to keep my distance from bigger mechs
B. The emp effect from PPCs works even under the minimum range. Which then lets me use my SSRM

I tried the 5J and the 7K on my way to unlocking Elite but I felt they didn't bring enough new to the table over my hunchbacks.

Edit: Yeah. Just smoked two 3L's and a Jenner. I think this is my new Bug Hunter.

Edited by Sug, 24 February 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#12 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

My Greatest build yet.

Having "TONS" of luck with this build, it's simple, tough and has the ability to go the distance.

TBT-5J
STD 280 Engine - Yes a STD engine, a must.
Endo
14 DHS
288 STD Armor
x5 Jumpjets

x5 medium lasers
x1 SRM6 - 2 tons of ammo.

Simple and easy, though you need the elite level to get the x2 bonus's on all the basic proficiency This mech is just a jumping monster. Just got out of a match where I solo'd an Atlas, then a stalker and at the tail end of the match put the final coffin nail into a hurt jenner.

The 2 tons of SRM ammo is a must.

#13 Ubersaurus Rex

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

TBT-5N

STD 250
2 SRM6 + AIV ; 1 ton ammo
4 Med Laser
Endo
14 dbl heatsinks
333 armor
AMS ; 1 ton ammo

I feel like I ought to bring another ton of SRM 6, because I tend to run out at some point, but I'm not sure where to drop any armor.

Its my only mech, but I have a good deal of success with it. I try to just flank their assaults and shotgun their rear core. Its good for arming/legging.

Edited by Ubersaurus Rex, 24 February 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#14 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

really like the ac20 build, very interesting indeed.

#15 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostCybermech, on 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

really like the ac20 build, very interesting indeed.

That I can see as being viable. it's basically a hunchback without the large hunchy target. Everything else with med lasers and srms is just a 4SP with JJs.

#16 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

My interest wanders a bit and I change TBT-7M builds every few days or so, but my current favorite has been my biggest favorite so far. It makes use of both SRM missile types in such a way as to maximize the potential for jump-strikes and DPS, while keeping heat dispersion high. All weapons can strike while traveling directly over an opponent, and tag is just wonderful for ssrms and the medium support role in general. You will get more torso strikes and heat dispersion from ssrms by using a TAG instead of a third ML.

Keep in mind that I play this as a support mech, not a brawler per se, though it does do well enough in those. Mediums are not for getting shot at, and the TBT-7M excels at being maneuverable. With this in mind, I balance my armor heavily to the front, and use air twisting to take most damage there. Also, by jumping and moving directly sideways against LRMs, you can reduce the damage you take substantially and limit what little lands to legs.

105.3kmh (XL325)
FP: 35
1.53 with 12 DHS
Armor - Standard: 320 (Legs at 37, all else maxed.)
Endo-Steel

RA: 2ML
RT: SSRM2 (2 tons of ammo in legs.), 2JJ
CT: 1JJ
LT: SSRM2, 2JJ
LA: SRM6+Artemis (2 tons of ammo in legs.), TAG

Pew pew.

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 24 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#17 robk

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Trying out the new crit changes with this one:
TBT-7k - "The Crit Maker" aka "Get Crit On" aka "Bone thugs n Crits"

10 DHS
272 Armor
XL 310
Endo

1 LBX
1 Machinegun
2 Flamers
2 Streaks

2 tons LBX ammo
2 tons Streak ammo
1 ton MG ammo

Edited by robk, 24 February 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#18 ZonbiBadger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Does anyone have good suggestions for 3C builds that favor striking rather than lrm support?

#19 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 24 February 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

My interest wanders a bit and I change TBT-7M builds every few days or so, but my current favorite has been my biggest favorite so far. It makes use of both SRM missile types in such a way as to maximize the potential for jump-strikes and DPS, while keeping heat dispersion high. All weapons can strike while traveling directly over an opponent, and tag is just wonderful for ssrms and the medium support role in general. You will get more torso strikes and heat dispersion from ssrms by using a TAG instead of a third ML.

Try this 7M Build.
250 STD
Endo
12 DHS
288 armor
x5 jumpjets.

1 Lrg laser
2 Med lasers
2 SRM6's

The mobility from the jumpjets is astounding when you just jump and bebop around. hammering targets.

View PostZonbiBadger, on 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Does anyone have good suggestions for 3C builds that favor striking rather than lrm support?

I have x2 really successful 3C builds.

First one as mentioned above is really vanilla.

The 2nd one requires some $$$ to pull off.

TBT-3C
390 XL engine (What the!?!....yup)
Endo
12 DHS

x4 Medium lasers
Your choice of x2 ssrm2's or srm2 / srm4's.

The speed is phenomenal topping out at 139 kph with speed tweak and makes an excellent striker build. If your willing to slow it down you can probably drop the engine down to a 380 or 375 XL and easily fit a couple of SRM6's with plenty of ammo.

I might just have to try that myself now.

#20 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I think one of the guys posted a 390 XL on MechSpecs and said it was pretty flashy dashy but lacked a lot of the punch required. Still I might give it a whirl as it would be funny to see a big machine moving at that speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users