The Chronicles Of Vega's Havoks - Sign Ups

Fiction

1014 replies to this topic

#21 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

the RP page says new characters are okay, the side just already has been pciked.

#22 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

View Postdal10, on 28 February 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

no big deal, its not like you are advancing the story or anything. we are just waiting on sparks to post, then we can either stay where we are at for a while or advance.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something up today. Other things have been in front of the queue, but they should be dealt with now. I've been enjoying the posts so far!

#23 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

@guardian wolf
I'm not sold on the idea of a multiple personality, schizophrenic, traumatized as well as short fused MechWarrior. I suspect he wouldn't be trusted by allies, and thus would be left without lance mates.
Plus, TAG is Lostech, which I could live with, but the PPC I'm not so keen with. Also the Retractable Blade was developed by the Word of Blake, in like 3069.

EDIT: I'm still recovering from being sick, but at least my brain doesn't feel shaken up and headache esc. I'll get this moving once Sparks has gotten a post in. Cmopatrick, I can tell you're eager to move on, slow down just a bit and let Sparks get something in.

Edited by Janitor101, 01 March 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#24 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Just trying to keep the loadout ammo free due to the fact that he's not with any merc corps, what if I swap the PPC for a large Laser? And I thought the retractable blade was available before the Jihad, must double check. If not, I'll switch it out for small sword. Like a dagger, but will still account for full tonnage. If I make him not short fused are we good?

How much does a sword weigh? Doesn't say on Sarna

#25 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostJanitor101, on 01 March 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

@guardian wolf
I'm not sold on the idea of a multiple personality, schizophrenic, traumatized as well as short fused MechWarrior. I suspect he wouldn't be trusted by allies, and thus would be left without lance mates.
Plus, TAG is Lostech, which I could live with, but the PPC I'm not so keen with. Also the Retractable Blade was developed by the Word of Blake, in like 3069.

EDIT: I'm silly recovering from being sick, but at least my brain doesn't feel shaken up and headache esc. I'll get this moving once Sparks has gotten a post in. Cmopatrick, I can tell you're eager to move on, slow down just a bit and let Sparks get something in.

at least to me his posts are basically a much larger post that is broken down into sections, as they are much more a continuation of each other than new events.

#26 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

View Postguardian wolf, on 01 March 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

How much does a sword weigh? Doesn't say on Sarna

The BattleMech sword is a Draconis Combine version of the standard BattleMech hatchet. Most Mechwarriors consider the sword less effective in combat than the heavier hatchet, but the large katana blade better fits the samurai ideal of the Combine warrior. The sword's lighter weight makes its attacks somewhat more accurate than those made with hatchets.

The sword follows standard rules for hatchets with the following exceptions. First, a sword's weight is equal to the tonnage of the BattleMech carrying it divided by 20, rounded up to the nearest half ton. Swords occupy 1 critical slot for every 15 tons (or fraction thereof) the carrying BattleMech weighs. Second, the Base To-Hit Number for a sword attack is 3. Finally, to determine the damage caused by a sword attack, divided the attacking BattleMech's tonnage by 10 (round up) and add 1.

- Battletech Master Rules, pg 133

#27 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Well, my shadow hawk weighs in at 55 tons, so.... 2.75 tons, three tons. I now has two more tons for armor... weeeeeeeeeee.

#28 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

sorry, Janitor, wasn't trying to push the timeline, just being my usual self where my imagination runs like crazy all day and i have more ideas than the OC and my non-mech projects can handle. I would rather you thought of it as character development, though i do throw a few bones out for you or others to pick up and bury... or whatever (btw, nice use of Little Timmy's tk there, dal10).

but if you want me to stop adding things... i'll... try.... (the line goes dead as cmopatrick struggles for control over his imagination)

#29 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

@guardian wolf
I can deal with a sword and the mech tweaks you've made, although you need to edit the changes into your character sheet.
Character wise, it wasn't just about him being short fused, it was all of his mental traits combined, I feel absolutely confident saying that in modern day (2013) a person with the mental issues as your character would be exempted from Military service, because he's unreliable. Now, if he only had one major issue or two lesser instances of his issues (or similar), he might be passable. But the way he is now, not so much.

#30 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

I've never done any collaborative writing before, but if you all don't mind dealing with me as I learn the ropes this looks like a good way to get my Battletech fix for the immediate future. :)

Name: Li-Hua Taishu
Callsign: Spokes
Role: Skirmisher
Date of Birth: 11/11/3021
Place of Birth: All Dawn

-Appearance-
Strong Asiatic features, lanky frame, pale, almost sallow complexion
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Hair Style: Long, shaved high off the ears and temples
Eye Color: Brown

-Mech-
Type: SCP-1N Scorpion
Mass: 55 tons
Chassis: Brigadier 800F Standard
Power Plant: Vox 330 Standard
Cruising Speed: 61 kph
Maximum Speed: 97 kph
Jump Capacity: None
Armor: Type 4 Star Slab Standard
Armor Factor: 112
Armament:
  • 1 Anderson Armaments Type 12 Particile Projection Cannon
  • 1 Marvel Six-Load Short-Range Missile Rack
  • x1 ton of SRM-6 ammunition (15 salvos)
-Background-

Li-Hua Taishu was born and raised on an airless, tidally locked planet in the All Dawn system. The only child of a fifth generation Mechwarrior, she grew up following her family as they moved between the subterranean barrows that housed the planet's small population. The family BattleMech brought a steady source of income-- her father ran the 'Mech, her mother handled the ledgers. Though never wealthy, Li-Hua grew up with as much food and education as the barrow communities could provide.

Li graduated from a local technical school and was soon accompanying her father during his frequent surface excursions. Although occasionally used for security duty, the 'Mech was most often put to use as a mobile work platform, and Li has gotten very good at maneuvering the machine in the tight confines of construction areas and underground work bays. The two have spent countless hours running maintenance and salvage ops over the airless wastes of their homeworld, and father and daughter are close.

Li's father became ill several years ago and he finds himself largely bed ridden. He is currently undergoing treatment at great expense at a local medical facility. The recent formation of the Rim Collection brought increased trade to the All Dawn system, but it has also brought an increase in pirate activity and the threat of raids has become real. Li's parents made the decision to sell the aging 'Mech, and she was given the task of finding a buyer.

There were a few people interested in buying the machine for scrap and parts, but the offered price was always too low to cover the family's mounting expenses. Li applied for a technical apprentice position with the local mercenary group Able's Aces, but growing up in a low gravity environment left her unable to pass the physical exams. After a particularly nasty conversation with a creditor, Li signed on with an outbound merchant ship as a freelance mercenary. She sent most of the advance payment home and told her parents she'd found a job as a technical administrator with a Lyran trading conglomerate.

That was five years ago. Li-Hua has moved out into the Periphery, living a hand-to-mouth existence and taking one short term contract after another. She has been able to parlay her technical skills into a steady stream of support and cadre assignments, but the constant star ship travel is starting to wear on her. Looking for a bit of stability, she's signed a two year security contract with the Triumvirate of Kharkand. The civilian dropship she was riding on was diverted from the capital on approach however, and with her contract listing the dead Duke as her employer Li finds herself in a very uncertain situation.

Li's Scorpion is over four centuries old, and the family no longer knows how they originally acquired it. The machine has been adapted for use in hard vacuum and the cockpit is fully sealed and pressurized. The jumpseat has long since been removed, and the area behind the pilot's chair has been converted into a tiny living space, not unlike what one would find on a long haul civilian truck. The 'Mech has never seen any significant action, and much of the armor is factory original. It has been fitted with several tow hooks on the front, rear and forward legs, and there are cables and cargo netting stowed in the forward equipment bay. Ports on the 'Mech's underside allow it to provide external power, and with the proper chains attached the forward legs can lift a weight of about 5 tons to a height of roughly 6 meters. The mounting brace for the particle cannon's field inhibitor is warped-- while this has no effect on the weapon's performance, it does occasionally discharge into the Mech's outer hull. This in turn has a tendency to leaving scoring patterns in any paint applied to the 'Mech's right glacis plate.

Li herself is an above average pilot, the result of having to operate the machine in close proximity to dismounted work crews as well as the necessity of avoiding falls and collisions in a vacuum. She has no formal military training however, and has never seen combat. The Scorpion makes for a forgiving firing platform, but her gunnery skills are adequate at best. She was expecting a quiet garrison assignment on a backwater world, and it remains to be seen how well she will adapt in the weeks and months ahead.

#31 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Right, cutting schizophrenia, and will have his parents just disappearing. Would that be acceptable Janitor?

#32 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Name: William Wolford (call him 'Bill' and see what happens)
Callsign: Shade
Role: Battlefield sniper, Recon, Headhunter
Date of Birth: 3025
Planet of Birth: Taurus
-Appearance-
Picture: N/A
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 185 lbs
Hair Color: brown
Hair Style: buzz cut
Eye Color: brown
Background: Born and raised in a hard life, William's parents divorced violently. On the outside people tend to see a calm, collected, below average intelligence in him. Once you actually meet him though, you'll find he is brilliant, scatter brained as all be h3ll, open minded, and only very few know he is medically insane. He suffers (well not really, as it really is the only reason he is as smart as he is) from dual personality disorder, which actually saved his life (due to the fact that it revealed itself and stopped him from committing suicide when he was 15), and his second personality is constantly in communication with him. What he says most of the time is like a thoughtful second opinion, allowing William to see most situations from any angle. The last and final bit of Will's personality, is that he purposely acts stupid, one to seem normal, and two, so that when he decides to reveal a moment of genius, he gets the satisfaction of seeing the stupid look on the person's face. He also has the greatest wish that he was like everyone else, that he would truly fit in.

-Mech-
Mech Class: Medium (55tons)
Mech Model: SHD - 2K
Mech Loadout: William calls it mod 3, it has the Large Laser (LT), a Medium Laser (RA), TAG laser (RA), and Daggerlike sword (LA). The problem is that it only has 10.5 tons of armor, 275 engine, and has fifteen heatsinks

Hows that?

Edited by guardian wolf, 07 March 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#33 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

@Spokes, that was an awesome bio... Oh and welcome to the forum!

#34 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 02 March 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

@Spokes, that was an awesome bio... Oh and welcome to the forum!

agreed. and i second the welcome.

#35 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Quick question, is there still space at this bar be que for one more? :D

#36 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

should be. eight slots originally: four confirmed filled, spokes very likely with that bio, and not sure about how our story-master is leaning on gw. even if gw is in, though, that should be two slots left. not my call, but i think Janitor would prefer a full boat.

Edited by cmopatrick, 02 March 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#37 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

is it sad that even though my charger is the heaviest mech in the group by 25 tons, it has the second lowest bv?

#38 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postdal10, on 03 March 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

is it sad that even though my charger is the heaviest mech in the group by 25 tons, it has the second lowest bv?

LMAO... oh that Charger.

#39 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

@Spokes
I'm sorry, but you're in.

@Thom
There is space, thus the answer would be yes.

@guardian wolf
Mech looks good, but you just removed two of his issues, and in rereading that I noticed you stated he was medically insane....
Anyway, you only removed two of his mental issues, when I said limiting down to two. Cause personally I wouldn't trust my life in combat with someone who could be extremely unreliable. That said, I understand you're trying to make an extremely screwed up character with an issue riddled past, you just overshot the mark some.
I suggest picking one or two things you have now (not medically insane) and keep those one or two, throw away all his other issues. If you want to look up some other, minor issues, but not straight up dangerous... maybe tourettes?

On another note, I apologize for not being actively pushing things along, whatever I had progressed to laryngitis, and though I'm a thousand times better now (Can talk, wooo!) I'm still feeling bad, so things will be slow. That said, I'm gonna make a post today to make things move.

Edited by Janitor101, 03 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#40 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks all. Should I go ahead and get started on something or do we want to let the first lance run for a while?

Love the sig Thom. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users