Mechwarrior Online Forum Statistics (while nubnub is gone...OSD)

106 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

EDIT: This thread was the test phase for Operation:Steel Dominion, a counter-operation being run against Comstar that deals with data throughout the Inner Sphere. For more information, see here and here.

Since nubnub has apparently lost himself in the outback, and also considering our forum membership has doubled in the last two months, I decided to take a crack at some statistics myself. Some of these are useless, some are interesting, some could provide explanations for beta recruitment.

*Note: There is a small percentage of error in one or two of the calculations. I mistakenly used two different total member counts, which equates a difference of 300 members or so. This equates to a .25% error, which is negligible.

**Furthermore, all developer and staff profiles were included in the data-gathering process.

Posted Image

What insight can we gain from Figure 1? Well not since the games announcement and the opening of the forums have we seen such a spike in forum membership*. Until the Game Developers Conference this year, Mechwarrior Online saw a rather steady and consistent growth. That rate began to climb in March and April, and finally saw a spike with the beginning of Operation Inception. Now given the increase in the rate of forum membership right before May 22, one could argue the forums were about to experience a growth spurt regardless. However this does coincide with the developers hinting at a Beta information release the week of May 21st, so that factor must also be noted. Assuming this new growth rate holds constant, Mechwarrior Online could easily be facing approximately 225,000+ users by July 17. At this rate, PGI will need to at least double their forum moderation staff, which they may have already done with the recent addition of IGP members to the Global Moderators list.

*I am well aware that the forum membership numbers at the bottom of the forums do not indicate all the pilots pre-registered for the game. In reality, PGI could be facing numbers double my estimates. Yes, half a million mechwarriors potentially.

Posted Image
I used generic colors for the pie charts...get over it

There is a lot to digest from the three previous figures, so lets start with FIgure 2. I was unable to acquire how many members had a 1 star rating, given the search function simply returned all users on the forum when I searched for members with a star rating of greater than 0**. It also tells us that a very small percentage (.593%) of forum members have ratings. I did find it interesting that 26.7% of the forum members with a 5 star rating had made exactly zero posts on the forums. Someone needs to contact Prosperity Park in the Conspiracy Department.

**Not sure if bug on the search function or not.

Figure 3 was another rehash on the examination of the forum genders. Once again, the results are not entirely surprising. The number of declared female members is 411, or .332%. Approximately 5,304 users declared they were not telling their gender, which is an odd statement to make when you simply could have left the option blank like a majority of forum users. As expected, the forums are largely male dominated.

Figure 4 brings forth the most interesting data in my opinion. In the figure, we find 109,455 forum members have made zero posts in the forums. This is an excessively large portion of the forum membership (88.5%). Furthermore, we find an almost negligible portion of the community is responsible for approximately more than half of all the data posted on the forums. A majority of members up to this point have made less than 100 posts on the forums.

Conclusions

First of all, for those of us dominating the forum content, we strongly need to consider stepping outside more often. Please see this information on the risks of sitting at a computer for too long.

Second, for the hundreds of people demanding the Beta on these forums or wondering why they didn't get one, this should explain some. For the 600 or so users that dominate a majority of the forum, your commitment and membership to the game is devalued to an extent. The numbers show you make up a rather minute portion of the users registered, and since your commitment to the game will probably be unaffected by anything less than an in-game Atlas prancing along rainbows and shooting daisies out its ******, your opinion on the early tests of the game will not reflect the market on a broader scale. A better sample population is to test the users who are relatively new or inexperienced with the game or Mechwarrior itself. While you may be thinking to yourself that you are indeed important because you will pour x amount of dollars into this game, a hundred dollar investment from the top 1000 forum users will only equate to 100,000 in revenue. A large sum to an individual, but according to online sources a game programmer only brings in around 74,000 dollars on average. From a raw financial aspect, the average dedicated user brings in a small sum of money***.

***This does now however take into account other areas a dedicated user is beneficial to a game, such as content generation and the recruitment of new players to the universe.

According to the Entertainment Software Association, 42% of gamers are women. If this study is believed a large market portion is missing. However the true gender background of Mechwarrior Online is tough to estimate since a large percentage of the forum members do not report their gender. Further Reading (GDC article)

Mechwarrior Online is also growing at a healthy pace if forum membership alone is to be considered.

As of finishing this post, the forum membership is currently at 124,297, which is 277 members more than four hours ago and 588 members more than nine hours ago.

***Pardon any mistakes

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 31 May 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#2 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

... Trying to absorb...

#3 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostSerevn, on 29 May 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

... Trying to absorb...

Don't worry. This was the data heavy page. I am currently working on updating all of nubnub's data, and that information will be much more concise and easy to read.

That is, after I go to sleep for a few hours.

#4 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

So many wonderful graphs! =D

#5 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

Interesting, it says there were 1300 or so as of the 31st but my ID number is in the 1800s.

#6 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostTyra, on 29 May 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Interesting, it says there were 1300 or so as of the 31st but my ID number is in the 1800s.

I have noticed discrepancies like this as well with other users. ID numbers don't seem to match what the forum membership was at the time of your profile joining.

#7 bawchicawawa

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

"From the data it can also be gathered that a larger female presence is needed in this game. According to the Entertainment Software Association, 42% of gamers are women."

Erm, i think that " gamer's" is a very vague term. This would classify my 50 year old mother as a gamer and she only plays farmville.

Could you find some data on gamer's that usually play strategic, online, faster paced games?

#8 Zack Delphirian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I love those pie charts, so much information, nice work my friend ! I also love pies, there are so good, especially ones with apples, I love apples...

But yeah, back to the charts, conclusions are not unexpected, but always a bit of a surprise to see what a bunch no-life flood-posters you guys are ;). It's kinda the same for all games out there : a very small number of players account for most of the community organisation while the vast majority of players just want to play a little and not invest that much in the game (time I mean, money is another matter).

Thanks again, time well spend (and a lot of it i'm sure !)

#9 Bob Fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBlois / France

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

yes very good job

500 000 players soon, mean good MWO software and servers to host all this.

<<S>>
Bob Fire

Edited by Bob Fire, 29 May 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#10 Oswin Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 808 posts
  • LocationWhitmore Lake, MI

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

I honestly have no idea what happened to Nubnub. He hasn't been online in a VERY long time (I checked a few days ago), which is startling, especially when you consider the stir that Operation: Inception and the Closed Beta caused.

All in all, very interesting read. Apparently I am the .457%. XD

#11 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

Really interesting stats, especially about the # of users vs # of posters.

#12 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

thanks Hawkeye, i must confess i think i enjoyed reading and pondering the implications of all that data more than i should have
must of been those pretty pie charts

#13 nub nub

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

Well done with this work Hawkeye. Your data seems to reflect the common trends in MWO however, as Tyra has pointed out, certain details are questionable; this may be more accurate in this regard:

Posted Image
(if image doesn't load click here)

Then again, people may find this a little more useful at the moment: MWO beta players...

Posted Image
(if image doesn't load click here)

...and just like your stats these have the same fine-print, assumptions and blah blah.Oh and by the way nubnub is not gone, just under a tight leash, and must get back to the 'outback'... ;)

--Post edited for those using obsolete web terminals

Edited by nub nub, 29 May 2012 - 05:16 AM.

#14 Oswin Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 808 posts
  • LocationWhitmore Lake, MI

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

You're not Nubnub. He has no space in his name. You just copied his signature. ;)

Also, your links are broken.

Edited by Oswin Aurelius, 29 May 2012 - 03:54 AM.

#15 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Who is this Nubnub? He put everyone on his friendslist. it is good that he friendly and he is probably a nice guy but...Has he done anything wrong?

#16 Quentin Yatoki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe region of Mountain Pears in the land of the Rising Sun.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 29 May 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

From the data it can also be gathered that a larger female presence is needed in this game. According to the Entertainment Software Association, 42% of gamers are women. If this study is believed a large market portion is missing.

I have to disagree with this assertion. Simply because there is an overwhelming male interest in the product does not mean that it being poorly marketed or not engaging the proper demographics. While your data is most certainty solid, I would recommend more critically analyzing your data. You can't argue that a larger female presence is needed with out first understanding why there are so few females in the game to begin with. To be honest, it's not surprising as the majority of TT wargamers and those who favor simulation and shooter games are male. Also, you imply that in order for this game to be more successful it needs to draw in more women. I disagree, what this game needs to do to be successful is to be a fun and enjoyable simulation game with a strong and active fan base.

Other then that, I enjoyed reading your post and I thought your other points are well made.

#17 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

Interesting, especially the very first graph on the growth of the number of forum members over time.

I'm one of the original 0.01% here (Oct 31st), but I'm not part of the N% of closed beta people. :-(

Edited by cipher, 29 May 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#18 Vesper Darktide

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

I love Pac-man too.

#19 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostOswin Aurelius, on 29 May 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

You're not Nubnub. He has no space in his name. You just copied his signature. ;)

Also, your links are broken.

Are you sure ???

#20 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

Nice graphs there Hawkeye. I'm only online so much because my job is testing video games, and I can just lurk around the forums all day... I can't help it that I like to be active... ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users