#1 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

How do you plan to counter this?

In all of my last 50-100 matches, at least 50% of all mechs were assaults.

I wasn't a fan of R&R at all back then, but I really miss it now.

And I didn't know crap about Battletech and the stories/lore before MWO but from what I gathered, I don't think this assault-heavy meta really represents this 'universe' very good.

EDIT: "TurretWarrior Online" is really a good description of this game at the moment. My fun is vanishing.

Edited by TexAss, 03 June 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostTexAss, on 01 June 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

They don't. :)

Edited by FupDup, 01 June 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

A Victor hero, in July.

#4 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

I counter Assaults by pretending to be afk, letting my team soften them up, then picking them off. Only fools rush in.

#5 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

use more assaults?

#6 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 01 June 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

I counter Assaults by pretending to be afk, letting my team soften them up, then picking them off. Only fools rush in.

Good idea, let's all do that. The game is more fun when you spend most of the match not playing.

#7 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

I think you mean there are too many Stalkers per match.

#8 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 01 June 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

I think you mean there are too many Stalkers per match.

No every assault, except awesomes, these are much rarer.
I was just in a match with 13 assaults.... -.- talking about high alpha and low time-to-kill rates....

something along these lines:
http://s199.photobuc...irmeta.png.html

Battle time 3:41

twitch

Edited by TexAss, 01 June 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#9 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hmm, these slowmoving big targets with mostly stupiddly hot loadouts that can not follow you if you decide that fighting them is to boring and not worth the bother and go for a cap instead? Why is it considered pgi´s fault if players decide to play onesided mechs and loadouts. The balance in this game enables every weightclass to deal with them quite well.

#10 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

- we got the highlander
- then we got misery
- then a poptarts-dream map (canyon)
- and now we get another assault in july which happens to be another poptart, too

something tells me they really LIKE this high alpha poptarting assault meta.

Game was really fun during medium mech madness, especially when you had 60%+ mediums in the match. Fights lasted longer and were more brawling-style (you couldnt kill each other so fast). Too bad it only lasted for 3 days.

Edited by TexAss, 01 June 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#11 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Why is Canyon a poptarts dream map, whereas Alpine doesn't even warrant a mention (nor does Tourmaline), even though Canyon is the one with the most cover out of the three (especially if we're talking about cover that can be used to approach a poptarter and objectives)?

#12 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostSephlock, on 01 June 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Why is Canyon a poptarts dream map, whereas Alpine doesn't even warrant a mention (nor does Tourmaline), even though Canyon is the one with the most cover out of the three (especially if we're talking about cover that can be used to approach a poptarter and objectives)?

because you can shortcut the routes vertically, shoot and fall back again 1 or 2 levels, while the non poptarts have go all around the freaking rock to get you. If they come close, you just jump over the rock and they have go all the way back, since they can't climb every wall there, they can climb about 10% of the walls to get a level higher.

Edited by TexAss, 01 June 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#13 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

there are too many assaults because in the name of discouraging another weapons race the made an even worse weapons race
everthing carries about the same number of weapons bigger mechs do bigger weapons. this inm fact fa=vours light and assault mechs. and means mpost heavies are obnoxious uberboats you wouldn't see in TT because it's the only thing that works

#14 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

In all of my last 50-100 matches, at least 50% of all mechs were assaults.

I wasn't a fan of R&R at all back then, but I really miss it now.

And I didn't know crap about Battletech and the stories/lore before MWO but from what I gathered, I don't think this assault-heavy meta really represents this 'universe' very good.

The 'problem' is Host State Rewind - it makes sniper builds as effective as they should have been all along.

Because of this and poinpoint convergence, only the fastest or the heaviest armored mechs are favored, right now. You'll encounter a few mediums and jagers here and there - but it's the assaults that have the armor to take a shot from a 6PPC stalker (or the 3ppc w/ gauss highlander) and have a chance at not instantly dying. Even then - many of these builds are becoming silly. People are taking far too much of their rear armor off and putting it on the front (because what's the chance of a PPC stalker ending up back there?)

Heavies don't have the speed to avoid or the armor to take the same hits, usually. The only reason people bring heavies is because they offer specialized build options (such as 2 gauss or 2 AC20s). That will go away as soon as an Assault comes along that can mount 2 AC20s (I'd have to check the Victor's standard variants to see if there's reason to suspect that).

Mediums don't have the speed to dodge - and sure as hell don't have the armor to take the kind of sniper fire we're seeing as a common place these days.

Thus - you're seeing mostly lights and assaults.

It's become turrett battles - which is exactly what PGI stated they wanted to avoid when they were talking about the direction they would take the MechWarrior reboot.

#15 Xykal

• Pip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostAim64C, on 02 June 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

The 'problem' is Host State Rewind - it makes sniper builds as effective as they should have been all along.

Because of this and poinpoint convergence, only the fastest or the heaviest armored mechs are favored, right now. You'll encounter a few mediums and jagers here and there - but it's the assaults that have the armor to take a shot from a 6PPC stalker (or the 3ppc w/ gauss highlander) and have a chance at not instantly dying. Even then - many of these builds are becoming silly. People are taking far too much of their rear armor off and putting it on the front (because what's the chance of a PPC stalker ending up back there?)

Heavies don't have the speed to avoid or the armor to take the same hits, usually. The only reason people bring heavies is because they offer specialized build options (such as 2 gauss or 2 AC20s). That will go away as soon as an Assault comes along that can mount 2 AC20s (I'd have to check the Victor's standard variants to see if there's reason to suspect that).

Mediums don't have the speed to dodge - and sure as hell don't have the armor to take the kind of sniper fire we're seeing as a common place these days.

Thus - you're seeing mostly lights and assaults.

It's become turrett battles - which is exactly what PGI stated they wanted to avoid when they were talking about the direction they would take the MechWarrior reboot.

^ This is exactly how I feel about the game right now, too. I'm not sure the game has ever been less fun to play than it is right now. Looking forward to all weight classes becoming viable again.

Xykal

Edited by Xykal, 02 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#16 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

no tonnage matching will be very bad for this game. PGI should keep it simple and simply limit the 12v12 matches to 600 tons (X value) so that if a team takes 4 assaults they are short on heavies in favour of lights, etc etc.

#17 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

i would love some cap of some sort
or atleast someway that assaults are what
they should be rare and not every one or
other 8 man team of em
but ppl will take everything they get the most
Cbills with
made a poll about this long ago
and alot of ppl sayed they would
take a light over an assault if they get a tiny bit more money

Edited by Inkarnus, 02 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#18 Snuglninja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationJagger Cockpit

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

How would tonnage limits or class restrictions work? People would just sit in q longer?
Pgi has gave us no reason to play anything less then assaults especially in pug matches.
The only thing that is going to help is private matches where player leagues can pop up and force player to play different classes.

#19 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

There is really no such thing as "too many assault mechs". Only "not enough crit slots".

#20 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

The problem is, I can guarantee if they did anything that would directly change this, the playerbase (not just the forum-goers) would get upset because they can't choose the mech they want, a.k.a. assault class.

Edited by jakucha, 02 June 2013 - 05:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users