#1 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

or are the queues that empty?

I was playing last night in assault queue and had at least 2 trials mechs in each match and one game a guy said "my first time every playing".

Now I do not profess to be an expert but I assure you my ELO is sufficiently high that I should not be seeing trial mechs players (nor have I until last night). Are the queues THAT EMPTY?

(3000 wins/800 losses with 5:1 K/D; I only post this to avoid the "you just suck" responses).

As stated, I have never seen trial mechs and newbs in drops since ELO was implemented. Also, I know good players might take one for a spin now and again but the reality is not 2 per match.

#2 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

5:1 KDR. Nice. You're obviously a good pilot. But your ELO is not affected by your KDR.

#3 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

Since the last patch I've noticed much fewer numbers on teamspeak, and I seem to be playing the same people over and over.

I think many of the guys that post a lot on here and talk about the last patch as "the best ever", don't actually play the game that much...

#4 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostProfiteer, on 07 June 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Since the last patch I've noticed much fewer numbers on teamspeak, and I seem to be playing the same people over and over.

I think many of the guys that post a lot on here and talk about the last patch as "the best ever", don't actually play the game that much...

I also start to see the same people over and over. And I play and like that patch..maybe it scared away poptart players and no there is noone left? I don't know.. and we never will, since the "people playing" counter was removed ages ago.

#5 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

View Postmindwarp, on 07 June 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

5:1 KDR. Nice. You're obviously a good pilot. But your ELO is not affected by your KDR.

True but your ELO is affected by being a good pilot.

#6 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

but if one person blows it should it really effect all players so heavily when were being matched with the general population *shudders*

#7 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

Something is wrong, since the patch the finding a match wait time in the mech lab has been massive, either people are not playing or the matchmaker is broken.

As for trial mechs, well they are everywhere, vets must get some kind of sick kick from driving them.

#8 Squirtbox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 08 June 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

Something is wrong, since the patch the finding a match wait time in the mech lab has been massive, either people are not playing or the matchmaker is broken.

As for trial mechs, well they are everywhere, vets must get some kind of sick kick from driving them.

While I and several others I play with will try to handicap ourselves with trial mechs for 'teh lulz' the number of trial mechs i have seen in games has been steadily increasing. I have also noticed more and more people are playing with arm lock on.

I have no idea where my ELO is similar to OP but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be matching up with fresh pilots on their first drops. So unless the MM is broken or was somehow changed recently this shouldn't be happening. Most certainly not with my average drop time last night being ~7 seconds.

#9 theNemesis

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

Is a KDR of 5.1 common? I don't mind admitting mine is below 1. I got killed a lot in the first few weeks w/few kills.

Its been coming up fast but i doubt I'll ever get near 5.

#10 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PosttheNemesis, on 08 June 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

I got killed a lot in the first few weeks w/few kills.

It's normal, especially if your first mechs are lights...

Mine now is 1. And I think it's pretty good KDR...

Edited by Warge, 08 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#11 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

Interesting that nobody seems to consider the increased frequency of trial mechs to be a possible sign of significantly more fresh blood coming into the game, but almost exclusively attributes it to trolling or joking veterans.... especially since people have stated they have also noticed increased use of armlock, which together with a trial mech is a relatively decent indicator of a new player....

Maybe PGI is doing somethign right after all....

Or on the other hand, maybe the "good" players have all finally left and all we`re left with are newbies as opponents.....

View PostWarge, on 08 June 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Mine now is 1. And I think it's pretty good KDR...

mine is (overall) .49...... but I also have significantly more wins than losses (1.0 on heavies + assaults, 1,4 in lights), and tend to play a pivotal role in gaining those.... my life is worthless if we lose, but my sacrifice is akin to martyrdom if we win. :P

Edited by Zerberus, 08 June 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#12 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Is a KDR of 5.1 common? I don't mind admitting mine is below 1. I got killed a lot in the first few weeks w/few kills.

It depends on how you play. Regularly playing in premades, cheese mechs, or stat-padding will push it up. Mostly stat-padding. You'll never see a 5 without doing at least 2 of those...a LOT, and probably all 3.

OP: KDR means nothing to Elo, and your W/L only matters since they started tracking Elo, so any games played before that point don't matter. And it's separated by weight class, so If you haven't played a lot with Assaults since they started tracking, your score will still be near 1300. I'm suffering a similar fate trying to level BJs.

#13 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostChemie, on 07 June 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

3000 wins/800 losses

That right there is your problem. The goal of the ELO score and the matchmaker is to get you to a 50:50 quota. If you have significantly more wins than losses, you get grouped with the worst players with too many wins the game can find against the best players with win deficit available at that time. ELO is not some league you get put in, so you can say "Hey, I am amongst the 200 best players!".

See official statement:

View Postsrccoder, on 07 June 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

all that elo does, is trend a player towards a 50/50 win/loss ratio. It doesn't equal skill, it's just a correlation at best. so the way you can check matchmaking, is to track you win/loss ratio on your end over time.

#14 Exoth3rmic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostGenewen, on 08 June 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

That right there is your problem. The goal of the ELO score and the matchmaker is to get you to a 50:50 quota.

This isn't true.

The MM isn't there to deliver equal chance of winning matches, its there to iron out significant imbalances.

It even mentions specifically here how it weights the Elo "reward" for wins when one side is significantly favoured over another - i.e if your team is favoured to win your Elo will barely move, but if its favoured to win and you lose then a larger movement can be observed. By definition this doesn't mean every match you play is going to be 50:50 win loss.

Its also true to say that, as the MM isn't matching equal skilled pilots, a small % of the server population who are either simply better than the rest or simply never step out of a specific mech will have significantly better w/l than 50:50 for this reason.

As for the ops observations, I have also seen a large number of trial mechs at "our" Elo whatever (scrub) level you and I seem to play at. I wondered if it might not be a flood of new players after some recent interviews of the game drawing in some interest.

*shrug*

Edited by Exoth3rmic, 08 June 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#15 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Yeah I don't have high faith in the match maker usually myself.

#16 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

No Tournament, no Challenge, but its Summer, Summerevents occur, to my experience Summerseason is allways the "Low Playtime Season".

Personally i played more the week we had the challenge but i have inclusive CB somewhat around 7500 matches i guess and i play less from time to time so i dont burn out and i play less when the gameplay is bad.
Though the game plays better after this patch and now i wait for the Quickdraw, need some more money, but a few matches over the next week will fill my treasure big enough.

Edited by Thorqemada, 08 June 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#17 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 08 June 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Yeah I don't have high faith in the match maker usually myself.

The fun thing here with this thread is...

NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING.

Because PGI purposely hides all the numbers.

We have no idea whether the MM is working, we cannot see any meaningful statistics, we cannot see our ELO's.

We can't see the population.

We know nothing.

So all of you guys are blowing hot air pretending to have an idea of what is going on. But none of us do because PGI refuses to release anything because they are so damn scared of what might happen.

#18 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 08 June 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

It depends on how you play. Regularly playing in premades, cheese mechs, or stat-padding will push it up. Mostly stat-padding. You'll never see a 5 without doing at least 2 of those...a LOT, and probably all 3.

OP: KDR means nothing to Elo, and your W/L only matters since they started tracking Elo, so any games played before that point don't matter. And it's separated by weight class, so If you haven't played a lot with Assaults since they started tracking, your score will still be near 1300. I'm suffering a similar fate trying to level BJs.

Needless to say with that many games, I have played my share of assault, heavies and lights. Not mediums because PGI killed role warefar. I could list off my stats by class since ELO started but that is not the point of my post. As stated, I gave this info to avoid flames about being low ELO. I am not low ELO but I have seen way too many newbs.

Take your pick

1. MM turned off
2. Good players have quit and queues are empty

I don't buy there enough experienced players running trials for Lolz. I can see that happening a bit not becoming a standing order.

#19 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

I could be possible that the vomit-shake has stopped a lot of people from playing, at least reduced their play time. But this is impossible to verify as PGI removed the active players counter from the game so we have no idea how many people are online.

#20 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostExoth3rmic, on 08 June 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

This isn't true.

The MM isn't there to deliver equal chance of winning matches, its there to iron out significant imbalances.

It even mentions specifically here how it weights the Elo "reward" for wins when one side is significantly favoured over another - i.e if your team is favoured to win your Elo will barely move, but if its favoured to win and you lose then a larger movement can be observed. By definition this doesn't mean every match you play is going to be 50:50 win loss.

Its also true to say that, as the MM isn't matching equal skilled pilots, a small % of the server population who are either simply better than the rest or simply never step out of a specific mech will have significantly better w/l than 50:50 for this reason.

As for the ops observations, I have also seen a large number of trial mechs at "our" Elo whatever (scrub) level you and I seem to play at. I wondered if it might not be a flood of new players after some recent interviews of the game drawing in some interest.

*shrug*

I did not talk about a 50:50 chance to win a specific match. This should be quite obvious, especially with the quote of an PGI official. The goal of elo is to give you an overall number that is roughly 50% wins and 50% losses. Please try to read properly what people are writing. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users