92 replies to this topic

#41 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostTaemien, on 08 June 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Not showing a player count has nothing to do with being scared to show the numbers. No one shows the numbers. Blizzard has never shown the exact numbers. The only time they announced their numbers is when it was a marketing desicion, 9 million + is a good time to show it off.

When you have less than a million, its not as good, and its definitely not good to show exact numbers. There is legal and proprietary reasons behind it. The reason they showed it in CB was because if you went spouting off about it during, they could pursue litigation against you for it.

Its best not even to bring up why, or should, or anything about exact numbers. No one gives that info out. No one has given that info out, and no one will. If you want to be the first by all means, make your little online game and post the numbers. But don't expect PGI or anyone else to, there's no reason and no precedence.

Just because you think there's a good number to show why the match maker isn't working right, doesn't mean PGI doesn't see it. You're not some cool awesome genius that can run the numbers. They are quite capable of seeing whats going on and know what they want to do next with those numbers. Because at the end of the day, they are going to make the final decision and do what they want, not what we want or think. We're players, not businesspersons, and if we were into business, we'd be competition, not allies/help.

Unless only a tiny fraction of the population participates in the no-drawback-to-enter tournaments and challenges it's relatively easy to get a decent estimate of player population, and it's not very promising.

#42 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Better than Hawken's numbers though. There are like 5 folks still playing that game.

#43 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostRoland, on 08 June 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Better than Hawken's numbers though. There are like 5 folks still playing that game.

That doesn't sound encouraging. It's like saying "at least PGI didn't cancel the Orion this month... they still gave us the Quickdraw".

Oh wait.. that's what DID happen.

#44 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

The matchmaker isn't turned off, it's just fatally flawed, and painful for high end PuGs.
Good players such as yourself, tromp the general populous and reach the 'Premade Bracket' (high end ELO). Now we all know that premades have the advantage against general pugs, thus they all reach a higher ELO, regardless of skill or ability. Once you reach this point, there are very few PuGs that match your ELO, so you are dropped against premades, and your ELO is then balanced by dropping you with noobs (lower ELO players). PGI think there is no problem here, because you don't drop in ELO, as you were already expected to lose. You see few complaints about this, because very few are at the level you (and I) are at as PuGs, and the premades are enjoying steamrolling; this drives off all the high end players, and restricts your matchmaking, because the game just isn't enjoyable any more unless you are in a premade.

I'm still baffled and frustrated as to why nothing has been done to address this problem yet.

Edited by Mokey Mot, 08 June 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#45 NeoFighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOn the battlefield

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostChemie, on 07 June 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

or are the queues that empty?

I was playing last night in assault queue and had at least 2 trials mechs in each match and one game a guy said "my first time every playing".

Now I do not profess to be an expert but I assure you my ELO is sufficiently high that I should not be seeing trial mechs players (nor have I until last night). Are the queues THAT EMPTY?

(3000 wins/800 losses with 5:1 K/D; I only post this to avoid the "you just suck" responses).

As stated, I have never seen trial mechs and newbs in drops since ELO was implemented. Also, I know good players might take one for a spin now and again but the reality is not 2 per match.

must be your ELO braket......and that 5.1KDR is because me an Tweekn carried you to that KDR broheim :D

Edited by NeoFighter, 08 June 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#46 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostNeoFighter, on 08 June 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

must be your ELO braket......and that 5.1KDR is because me an Tweekn carried you to that KDR broheim :lol:

Yes...I should have mentioned that I suck and Neo is the only reason for my stats, I guess maybe I need them in my team to avoid these newbs.

View PostFate 6, on 08 June 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Unless only a tiny fraction of the population participates in the no-drawback-to-enter tournaments and challenges it's relatively easy to get a decent estimate of player population, and it's not very promising.

Yes. I noticed this too. Only a couple thousand in each of these

#47 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 08 June 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

It depends on how you play. Regularly playing in premades, cheese mechs, or stat-padding will push it up. Mostly stat-padding. You'll never see a 5 without doing at least 2 of those...a LOT, and probably all 3.

Wrong. I guess you are not that good then? :lol:

#48 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Let's stay on topic. This is not about someones KDR or WLR...

this is about the state of the game, matchmaker, too many trials mechs in matches they do not belong and/or total lack of players in queue.

All I know is there has been a significant change in the past week (so I assume it is mostly MM issue). I have never seen trial mechs in my games since ELO was implemented....now there are 2-3 during some times of day (which suggests queue size)

Edited by Chemie, 09 June 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#49 AntharPrime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 08 June 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I ran over this the other day, and wondered what it said about Mech, and Mech Warrior, and MechWarrior Online. Its kinda cool and it is real data, although you may disagree its relevant, I remember looking stuff up on google before downloading this game.

http://www.google.co...0Warrior&cmpt=q

By the looks of this, there has been a decline of interest ever since open beta started. That should speak volumes about the state of the game.

#50 KAT Ayanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

I agree with OP.

I have seen trial mechs lately as well. And players that were on their first day at this game. Shooting friends and foes alike just to troll around.

#51 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have more than 3000 games, 1.4 W/L ratio and 2.1 K/D ratio overall; yet I'm constantly being matched with trials who have NO idea how to play this game. Most of the games are extremely one sided and ends with one group getting absolutely steamrolled.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostChemie, on 07 June 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

or are the queues that empty?

I was playing last night in assault queue and had at least 2 trials mechs in each match and one game a guy said "my first time every playing".

Now I do not profess to be an expert but I assure you my ELO is sufficiently high that I should not be seeing trial mechs players (nor have I until last night). Are the queues THAT EMPTY?

(3000 wins/800 losses with 5:1 K/D; I only post this to avoid the "you just suck" responses).

As stated, I have never seen trial mechs and newbs in drops since ELO was implemented. Also, I know good players might take one for a spin now and again but the reality is not 2 per match.

If you're playing around the time you posted, then you're playing a time when the Aussies, Japanese, etc. are going to bed, the Euros are at work, and the Americans are just waking up. That doesn't leave you with much room for high numbers.

#53 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostHauser, on 08 June 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Horse droppings.

If anything you've got cause and effect completely turned around. The purpose of a match maker that uses Elo is to keep the new and the experienced players apart. Everybody should face people at own level, resulting in a win/loss ratio that goes closer to 1:1.

If it ain't working, that's something to talk about. But don't go spreading that junk.

Thats the very problem that we have, the matchmaker doesn't match YOU with another YOU on the other team, you simply get team A and Team B with the "same" (or not really) average ELO rating.

MM does this using ANY of the available people in que.

This method is used to negate long waiting times. The downside is you get fresh players consistently in matches.

MM or elo needs to have range limits when grouping players.

Unless of course your enjoying the 8-0 0-8 steamrolls that are prevalent in this game.

50/50 chance of getting owned or owning the other team. <--- That is the current Elo

Edited by Amsro, 09 June 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#54 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 09 June 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

By the looks of this, there has been a decline of interest ever since open beta started. That should speak volumes about the state of the game.

Sorry for the back to back post noticed this and found a more specific search term in the same link.

http://www.google.co...nline%22&cmpt=q

Seems a decline did happen but its on the upward curve now.

#55 NeoFighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOn the battlefield

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostChemie, on 09 June 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

Yes...I should have mentioned that I suck and Neo is the only reason for my stats, I guess maybe I need them in my team to avoid these newbs.

hahahahahaha

im wondering if all those poptart kids quit the game.....geez....can't wait to see whats gonna happen when alpha-in gets nerfed, knockdown returns, etc.

Personally, haven't seen any trial mechs yet, might be my hours of play are different tho

Edited by NeoFighter, 09 June 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#56 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 09 June 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

I was gonna say, if you look at that>

View PostAmsro, on 09 June 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Sorry for the back to back post noticed this and found a more specific search term in the same link.

http://www.google.co...nline%22&cmpt=q

Seems a decline did happen but its on the upward curve now.

You can see how there is a sudden decrease in player searching on google after November, and still a slight (decrease on the decrease, less loss, but still lose) on December. I honestly think that ECM did a big number on the community. Until it, most of the game was pretty well done for 1st person view TT. It was not perfect, but the closed beta forums were really different, people were very grateful for the game. Now a lot of people are complaining about things like 3rd person, ECM (when it was released), sniping crazy, and Orion being delayed.

There was a lot of people who posted in the ECM feedback threads, remember those? There was like 300 pages of complied feedback over a few months, with an overall trend of dislike for it.

Does anyone else wonder why the forums were last busiest on Dec 18, 2012? That was the date of the first patch for ECM after it was released (the oh poo, this was too strong, lets nerf it maybe patch). I don't think its because people are playing. This info is at the bottom of the "FORUM" tab at the top there, bottom right.

Instead of listening to the community, they did what they thought was best, and its probably really hurting them now. I can't believe how dedicated (as I am as well) people are for this game. This was easily my favorite game by far to play online, but honestly, overall, every patch ECM->on has been a let down. I played this game very competitively and well, and all I want is a little balance (not to say that people who want something else are in the wrong, not at all), I have no knowledge of BT or anything. My last 2 mech games were Mech Assault. This game I loved, and I still want to love it, but its just getting worse and worse, in my opinion.

#57 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

it's not so much the game but the absolutely horrendous community turning people away i swear

the game's really not as bad as these forums paint it, but as soon as someone logs on here to search for whatever they are left with such a horrible impression

#58 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

In closed beta, the community was great, they had a secret section of forums and everyone was overall happy. When Gauss kittys were too common and powerful, they nerfed them quickly and now we have good but not best Gausscats (although you may argue the Jager is better, at the time, the Catapult and many other mechs only used the Gauss because of its coolness).

The Gauss nerf was well designed. I've often advocated for more nerfs like Gauss nerfs. Changing damage kill smaller carriers much more than the boaters. (for instance, a 6X6SRM cat is still dangerous enough, 2 SRM-4? Yeah right). Giving weapons quirks rather than changing damage all over the place is a better design system. No one will take a LRM-10 if it doesn't out damage a PPC by a fair amount, especially in 12v12.

Now we have a 2+ month 'temporary' fix for missiles. I don't think its the community's fault for that, nor do I think its unfair to ask for slight tweaks at least every two weeks if not every week.

I DO NOT know programing, but I don't suspect it would be that hard to give missiles +.1 more damage every week until they are correct? That can't be that hard, they did it with LRMs in a jiffy.

Edited by ICEFANG13, 09 June 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#59 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostFate 6, on 08 June 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Or once can just believe that the devs have no reason to be intentionally deceitful (I know this is very hard for some) and assume that when tehy say 100,000 people were logged in and playing during teh tournament weekend the HGN-HM was released (at least that`s the figure I remember, but if someone wants to find the OP and link it I will glady accept whatever number is actually there) they have no reason to lie about it :D

View PostWaking One, on 09 June 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

it's not so much the game but the absolutely horrendous community turning people away i swear

the game's really not as bad as these forums paint it, but as soon as someone logs on here to search for whatever they are left with such a horrible impression

+1000000000000

I have lost entire days of playing becasue the forums took away my motivation, only to log on the next day and find out it`s exactly teh same as it was the day before. This is entirely my fault for taking the forums too seriously :(

Edited by Zerberus, 09 June 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#60 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 09 June 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

There was a lot of people who posted in the ECM feedback threads, remember those? There was like 300 pages of complied feedback over a few months, with an overall trend of dislike for it.

I stopped reading it. It's the effectively a forest fire that PGI doesn't seem to want to put a fire out from.

Does anyone else wonder why the forums were last busiest on Dec 18, 2012? That was the date of the first patch for ECM after it was released (the oh poo, this was too strong, lets nerf it maybe patch). I don't think its because people are playing. This info is at the bottom of the "FORUM" tab at the top there, bottom right.

Instead of listening to the community, they did what they thought was best, and its probably really hurting them now. I can't believe how dedicated (as I am as well) people are for this game. This was easily my favorite game by far to play online, but honestly, overall, every patch ECM->on has been a let down. I played this game very competitively and well, and all I want is a little balance (not to say that people who want something else are in the wrong, not at all), I have no knowledge of BT or anything. My last 2 mech games were Mech Assault. This game I loved, and I still want to love it, but its just getting worse and worse, in my opinion.

Eventually, their bullheadedness will get the community they want... except it would be unsustainable and niche. Ticking off the base you've created (and I don't even mean the people that came in through open beta) is a recipe for future failure.

Technically, it's an insult to have said "we'll post a command post about ECM", never make one AND THEN proceed to say "oops, I forgot about it" and proceed to post about changes that don't actually address key issues with the ECM they have implemented.

Ignoring long standing issues w/o actually consulting the community (a feedback thread where the devs don't post theirs thoughts about ECM is counterproductive) is just wasting forum space.

Edited by Deathlike, 09 June 2013 - 12:37 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users