Refuse To Pug

69 replies to this topic

#1 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

I've reached the breaking point, I will no longer drop solo into a team of randoms in this game. 90% of the time I was doin 4 mans with the clan/group/guild whatever you wanna call it but at times felt I would just grind out Cbills solo when nobody else was on. No longer. 3 matches in a row this morning spotting / calling out the direction of the enemy advance and what happens? All 3 times my team pushes the opposite direction and doesn't give a damn whats going on. Many of you probably have already reached that breaking point but I just up and quit. 4-1 in a match where the team rushes to their deaths, well see ya, Ill wait for my friends to log on.

#2 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

" A leader is a person who can adapt principles to circumstances. "

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Bah, I have been PUGing since the start. It does suck when you are steamrolled, but overall I still enjoy the game.

I do drop with 2 of my friends some weekends, but I don't feel it is mandatory for me. Just do your best. Sometimes you loose (even horribly), but you can't win them all anyway *shrug*.

#4 Stoicblitzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

your elo got too high roflstomping people with your group. i try not to take it personally anymore.

#5 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

OP: Did you try using the command console? I've had a 80%+ success rate in getting people to go where I point since this last update added sound effects and notifications to it.

PUGs will listen. You just have to try and guide them. There times when they won't, however. That's part of the game.

#6 NachoFoot

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 07 June 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

your elo got too high roflstomping people with your group. i try not to take it personally anymore.

And if they added +10% Elo to groups, it would solve the PUG vs Premade issue as well in one swoop.

#7 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

Good to see others know what im stating. I was typing out the ying yang trying to guide the team to where the enemy was but they all got tunnel vision on 1-2 enemy taking PPC potshots ... maybe people don't know how to read, /shrug

#8 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

When you are pugging, it's your job to save the noobs from their own mistakes.

When you lose, it's your fault for not being good enough to carry them.

It's one of the things I like about pugging. It gives you a chance to be a hero for strangers.

#9 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

I Pug exclusively. Always have, as none of my friends play this game and the time I have to play doesn't lend its self well to joining a clan. Pugging is, the vast majority of the time, a game of massive steamrolling. There are some close matches, but usually it is about 2 mechs dead on the winning team and total wipeout on the other team. Conquest is usually the same unless the 'big' team lost all their lights and the lone spider/jenner/commando on the 'small' team has been capping. This is how it was when I started playing and sucked horribly, and that is how it is now that I suck somewhat less horribly. Lucky for me, I enjoy playing, and don't mind if I get rolled half the time. It's still fun playing and seeing what I can do before the other team drops me. There are occasional moment of brilliance, and they are really fun, but in general it is a roflstomp coin-flip: heads you win, tails you die.

Edited by Maxx Blue, 07 June 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#10 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

It's okay, man. Not everybody has what it takes to play games on impossible difficulty.

You should put some LRMs on your scout, so you can hit and fade better, while you practice that information warfare.

#11 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

If I wasn't lazy I'd find a link to that scene early in Code Geass where nobody listens to Lelouche.

#12 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

wtf is Code *** ***? and who is Le douche

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

Sorry OP... Taking issue with PUG performance is like complaining that a dog-dropping tastes like poo. "Is a given".

A PUG drop is "random" and as such the quality of the PUG grouping is equally random... Sometimes they are battle hardened warriors and sometimes they are mouth-breathing knuckle draggers.

Sometimes they will save your bacon... and other times the best you can hope for is for them to distract the enemy long enough for you to kill one of them. :)

Edited by DaZur, 07 June 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#14 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 07 June 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Bah, I have been PUGing since the start. It does suck when you are steamrolled, but overall I still enjoy the game.

I do drop with 2 of my friends some weekends, but I don't feel it is mandatory for me. Just do your best. Sometimes you loose (even horribly), but you can't win them all anyway *shrug*.

This is what i do as well. Most of the time, I drop with the other Windbourne Highlanders that are on TS but there are days or certain times of the day when either no one is on or a 4 man group is going so I just drop solo for a bit. If nothing opens up, after a while I go do my daily in GW2.

#15 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

View PostLowridah, on 07 June 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

I've reached the breaking point, I will no longer drop solo into a team of randoms in this game. 90% of the time I was doin 4 mans with the clan/group/guild whatever you wanna call it but at times felt I would just grind out Cbills solo when nobody else was on. No longer. 3 matches in a row this morning spotting / calling out the direction of the enemy advance and what happens? All 3 times my team pushes the opposite direction and doesn't give a damn whats going on. Many of you probably have already reached that breaking point but I just up and quit. 4-1 in a match where the team rushes to their deaths, well see ya, Ill wait for my friends to log on.

Restated: I win so much in 4 mans, it has spoiled me. Unless I can stack the deck in my favor, I'm not playing MWO. QQ.

#16 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

I understand the soul-destroying nature of pugging.

Some days I want to pack it all in too. Particularly in Conquest games when I've asked the team to remember to cap, capped half the bases myself, got the team 200 resource points in front... only to have the morons get themselves killed brawling so that we lose the game anyway.

I have signed up to join Clan Ghost Bear to try to rescue my own in-game experience.

#17 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

When you drop in groups, your elo inflates because of your ability to communicate and work with your teammates.

When you solo drop, you can't, so you naturally do worse.

#18 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Sometimes people in PuG's communicate great, and it's AWESOME!

When they don't, or completely ignore info I change up my tactics, and pick a buddy that I decide to play 'support mech' to. Try to help focus-fire in a small manner and hope my team doesn't get itself killed too quickly. Not much else you can do. You can't MAKE peope listen.

#19 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

I enjoy pugging because it gives me a break from running 4 mans. In fact, in the last three months I've probably pugged way more than I've dropped in groups. It is relaxing in a weird sort of way. You just hunt and kill. No deep planning required.

#20 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have always had the opposite experience with pugging

when I am in a 4 man, resistance is tough and the fights feel more even

when I solo drop it is much easier to rack up the kills and damage, and I win just as often

so basically 4 mans seem much more difficult to me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users