Can someone recommend a good joystick for MW:O?

60 replies to this topic

#1 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi, as the title says, I'm looking for a good joystick to play MW on. I can't afford the big flight master pro gear as it tops £100 over here, so I am looking for something around the £50 range. It need to have a throttle/speed control on it and enough buttons to map all my weapons to various configurations.

Posted Image
This one is a Thrust Master T-Flight Hotas X, which looks to be the kind of thing I am after, Does anyone know if it is any good?

Posted Image

Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick

This one looks OK but according to the description it doesn't have a twist function for the torso. And that is quite important for MW.

The final one I have seen is this

Posted Image

Logitech 942-000005 Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Much more simple from the looks of it but also from Logitech so it should be a decent bit of kit.

So out of the 3, which one should I go for? Or is there any I have missed which you think are better?

Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'd probably wait till you get some experience with MWO first. It looks like it's more designed for a keyboard-and-mouse input as opposed to being fully best on a joystick. (Weapons targeting separately, with the torso lagging behind.) You may actually put yourself at a disadvantage.

#3 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'd be interested in something similar ... the joystick I have is a bit ... jumpy ...

Microsoft sidewinder.

Is there a technology difference between joysticks? Are one type more sensitive than another? What are the criteria for a gaming joystick?

#4 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I'd probably wait till you get some experience with MWO first. It looks like it's more designed for a keyboard-and-mouse input as opposed to being fully best on a joystick. (Weapons targeting separately, with the torso lagging behind.) You may actually put yourself at a disadvantage.

Hmm, well I have played all the Mechwarrior games on a Joystick and I'm certain it makes them (if not better), certainly more engaging and fun to play. I like having all the controls that I will ever need in one place and not having to move my hand round a keyboard. With that in mind I do own a Razer Naga Mouse and a Razer Nostromo Gamepad, is it possible that that combination will work better than a joystick?

#5 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

You might be able to shop around for a steel battalion controller if your lucky fo that price range

#6 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostWoodstock, on 09 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'd be interested in something similar ... the joystick I have is a bit ... jumpy ...

Microsoft sidewinder.

Is there a technology difference between joysticks? Are one type more sensitive than another? What are the criteria for a gaming joystick?

Yea I used to play on a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick as well, I never played multiplayer but in singleplayer the game was great fun. I have no idea about the technical specifics of each individual joystick but when there are some selling for £15 and others as high as £250 then there must be a difference somewhere.

View PostGorith, on 09 June 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

You might be able to shop around for a steel battalion controller if your lucky fo that price range

I thought they only ever made 5 of those :)

#7 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

The final one I have seen is this

Posted Image

Logitech 942-000005 Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Much more simple from the looks of it but also from Logitech so it should be a decent bit of kit.

So out of the 3, which one should I go for? Or is there any I have missed which you think are better?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I bought the 3D Pro for about $27.00 from Amazon. (free shipping) I played MW4 with a Sidewinder FF II. This one has two more buttons than the Sidewinder and it's cheap. If you like to use a joystick and do not want to wait I'd go with this one. If you need something better, you will know that by Christmas of this year, which will be a good time to get an upgrade if you want/need to.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 09 June 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#8 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

lol nah you can get them for $75 USD sometimes.

also i believe this is in your price range (if my conversion isnt off)

http://www.saitek.co...rod/x52pro.html
http://www.google.co...ed=0CIABEPMCMAE

Edited by Gorith, 09 June 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#9 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostWoodstock, on 09 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Microsoft sidewinder.

CH Products make excellent no-frills joysticks and pedals that are extremely accurate and reliable (no jumpiness; programmable; and they last forever). They're a little more expensive (although not nearly the most expensive), but they're worth it.

Will they be best for MW:O? Who knows? With my (rapidly deteriorating) reflexes, it won't matter to me :)

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 09 June 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

This?

#11 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostGorith, on 09 June 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'm playing with an older X52 in MW3/4 (or at least as best I can map them all). It's not bad, but there are some changes to MWO that aren't in these two games.

#12 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostMason West, on 09 June 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

I somehow think the artemis is going to be $300 USD if not more

#13 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostMason West, on 09 June 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

No, never in a million years will this be around the £50 mark.

View PostGorith, on 09 June 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Well the first one is around £140 and the second is $78 which should be close and it does look quite good.

#14 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sorry i know its gonna be expensive i must have missed the under 50 part :)

#15 FactorlanP

• 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

The Logitech 3D pro is reportedly a decent stick for a low cost. It isn't as durable as some of the high end sticks, but at the price, it wouldn't be too painful to replace once a year or so...

#16 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

So no one thinks the first one is any good then? Interesting cause I have read somewhere that Thrust master don't make very good joystick's any more.

#17 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

I suppose the other question is are Joysticks really needed for MW:O or could use use a mouse/keyboard just as easily?

#18 FactorlanP

• 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

So no one thinks the first one is any good then? Interesting cause I have read somewhere that Thrust master don't make very good joystick's any more.

Thrustmaster makes the Warthog HOTAS, which is a very good stick. I love mine.

As for, is a joystick needed? No, but if you use one it will give you that much more of the, "Holy crap, I'm driving a giant robot and blowing things up!" effect.

#19 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is not what I would call a reliable stick.

I've had two. Both developed severe spiking issues. The first developed severe spiking in all axis, but particularly the Z(twist rudder) axis. The second developed severe spiking in the Z axis and moderate spiking in the others axis before I replaced it. Both had been on my desk for less than six months.

The T.Flight HOTAS X is not a bad setup. Thrustmaster can make a fine product, but their customer service stinks. For the money, I'd get an old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro if I could (Saturn ring centering, optical sensors), or a Thrustmaster T.16000M if I had to(easily the most precise joystick in the price range thanks to hall sensors).

#20 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostFactorlanP, on 09 June 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Thrustmaster makes the Warthog HOTAS, which is a very good stick. I love mine.

As for, is a joystick needed? No, but if you use one it will give you that much more of the, "Holy crap, I'm driving a giant robot and blowing things up!" effect.

Yea I have seen the Warthog but it costs around £250 on Amazon so way out of my price range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users