#1501 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 21 April 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

If destroying turrets and capping bases paid out, so many people here would whine about it. "I just want to shoot stompy robots not have to defend some stupid box painted on the ground!" they'd complain. Mainly Assault pilots.

It's called playing the role. And besides we have Skirmish for that.
Problem is that PGI can and has given out email warnings for actively defending the base.

o.O; Question is... why? At this rate assault should just be taken out.

#1502 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 April 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Problem is that PGI can and has given out email warnings for actively defending the base.

Wait.... WHAT?! :D

#1503 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

I should rephrase that to passively then actively defending the base. It was a while ago. But apparently sitting on a base to defend it is an act where you are preventing the enemy from being able to take it. (Sort of the idea, but I digress) and it disrupts the "natural flow of gameplay" as well as counts as non-participation (for the time you spend waiting for an attack to come your way).

We had a group, we set one guy to guard the base and we went out to actively engage theirs (back then when a base cap starts both sides start a 'cap war' by rushing to the bases to capture them). The guy we set behind was "in the way" and got reported. Couple of days later he said he received an email and read it to us. o.O;

Essentially he was doing the same thing as I was in that video, except he had LRMs and used those as enemies were approaching him (so he was in a way actively participating even from our base).

Edited by Koniving, 21 April 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#1504 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

When I play with my brother sometimes we'd drop with light and do a cap distract. It was a good strategy to disrupt the enemy line. We miss that. Him more than me since his favorite mech is his commando and I play an assortment of mechs.

#1505 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 April 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

I should rephrase that to passively then actively defending the base. It was a while ago. But apparently sitting on a base to defend it is an act where you are preventing the enemy from being able to take it. (Sort of the idea, but I digress) and it disrupts the "natural flow of gameplay" as well as counts as non-participation (for the time you spend waiting for an attack to come your way).

We had a group, we set one guy to guard the base and we went out to actively engage theirs (back then when a base cap starts both sides start a 'cap war' by rushing to the bases to capture them). The guy we set behind was "in the way" and got reported. Couple of days later he said he received an email and read it to us. o.O;

Essentially he was doing the same thing as I was in that video, except he had LRMs and used those as enemies were approaching him (so he was in a way actively participating even from our base).

Wow. That really sucks. That is a totally legit way to play. I bet the report described your friend as a disconnector or farmer and the CSR team didn't have the means to properly investigate back then and didn't see the truth. I really hope they aren't against defending a base.

#1506 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Since it mainly cited "non-participation" and obstructing a capture point (which there was a big policy against that for intentional disconnects) that was most likely the case. It still was upsetting. More so when the game more and more pushes away from tactics and strategy to the big gaggle of mechs forming a train.

Conquest favors fast killing of all the mechs; just to capture a point takes 30 seconds or longer from neutral.
Assault favors fast killing of all the mechs. Bases and their capture pay you virtually nothing.
Skirmish, of course favors killing all mechs.

Nothing is really new, there isn't a point to them.

Conquest could use the old-capture times, but double the resource points to collect so that capturing them is easy, but you have to rack up the points and so the more drills you have captured the better off you are. This means that the lights and mediums would have a reason to keep moving from point to point. Heavies and assaults may try to intercept them ahead of the line or defend drills.

Assault needs a reason to avoid the typical choke point. That reason is the enemy base. There was a time when capturing paid more than annihilation of the enemy, giving you a clear tactical goal.

We have Skirmish for destroying each others' mechs.

Anyway back to short questions and answers.

Edited by Koniving, 21 April 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#1507 HACHA

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

Question : .. i Unlocked the Last Free Mech , i Wait 1 Hour ... but never appears Mech in my mech bay.... what happend ? my account is broken or i need stop smoke weed?
Ty ! atte. HACHA

#1508 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostHACHA, on 22 April 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

Question : .. i Unlocked the Last Free Mech , i Wait 1 Hour ... but never appears Mech in my mech bay.... what happend ? my account is broken or i need stop smoke weed?
Ty ! atte. HACHA

It takes a little time (up to 15 minutes) before the challenge tracker get updated on the website. After that, you may need to relogin, or play a match. It won't appear if you just sit in the mechbay waiting for it to update.

If anyone still hasn't gotten their 5 wins, better hurry! Event ends later today.

#1509 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 April 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

How am I supposed to play River City then? Once I leave base I am in range of enemy turrets ..

#1510 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostBSK, on 22 April 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

How am I supposed to play River City then? Once I leave base I am in range of enemy turrets ..

Yes, the missile turrets can be a challenge in River City - on the other hand, though, I have to admit that map has taught me quite a bit about using cover after turrets were introduced! ;)

Edited by Garegaupa, 22 April 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#1511 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

It is only against the rules to sit back the whole game while not participating in the battle.
Leaving someone behind to do nothing but hold the ground, may leave such impression. (especially, if the player only gets to fight when the rest of the team is dead)

If 11 people from the same team report such a player, it can be seen as AFK-farming and such player might get a warning.
If the other side reportes such player, there should be less chance to get a warning.

If the team always uses the same player to stay behind, the reports for the player might sum up and give a higher impression and lead to a warning.
In such case as mentioned, I'd send tickets to explain the tactics to support, so they can add a note to this player to prevent further misinterpretations.

There is also the option to use more mobile tactics (sending players back, or flanking) instead of (imho boring) grouprush base cap race.

#1512 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostBSK, on 22 April 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

It was more of a "report" for being in the way. Specifically for being on the capture square, preventing enemies (who did the reporting) rom capturing, with a screenshot and a report most likely claiming that he was "afk" or disconnected.

Btw, you can go to the high side of River City without being engaged.
Assault mode, engaging enemies outside of base without turret intervention.

It's the first match with the funky color change effects (green gets annoying after a while).

#1513 MikeSteel

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSlovenia, Europe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

I'll soon start saving c-bills for my first module.

Is Advanced info gathering worth the price?
Is it wise to combine it with BAP?
Are there any other info gathering bonuses besides AIG + BAP ?

I play heavy mechs most of the time with big lasers and like to cut weak spots.

Tnx!

#1514 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

View PostMikeSteel, on 23 April 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

Is it wise to combine it with BAP?
Are there any other info gathering bonuses besides AIG + BAP ?

Yes, BAP and AIG stack for heavily increased gathering speed. If you combine it with ATD, you can be quite a fearsome Striker.

#1515 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

I generally don't use the advanced info gathering simply because I usually have other modules I would rather have, but yes, it's effect will stack with BAP.

#1516 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 23 April 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

I generally don't use the advanced info gathering simply because I usually have other modules I would rather have, but yes, it's effect will stack with BAP.

I use it a lot on lights and AC/20 mechs, but would not recommend it as a first module for somebody who primarily drives heavies. Seismic and consumables are preferable there, IMO. And Adv Zoom, if snipe-y, though I'm falling out of love with it myself. And Adv Decay if using locking missiles much.

#1517 Blackhawk ge

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hi, hopefully simple question:
if I unlock a module lvl 1 i.e. Seismic Sensor and buy it for 3 MCr and subsequently unlock lvl 2 of the module what happens?

the new module prize is now 6 MCr for lvl 2. My already bought one is upgraded or do I have to buy a second one that is then with the lvl 2 abilities?

the possessed modules do not show their lvl status, so how to distinguish between the 2 bought ones?

Thanks for replies!

#1518 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostBlackhawk ge, on 23 April 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Hi, hopefully simple question:
if I unlock a module lvl 1 i.e. Seismic Sensor and buy it for 3 MCr and subsequently unlock lvl 2 of the module what happens?

the new module prize is now 6 MCr for lvl 2. My already bought one is upgraded or do I have to buy a second one that is then with the lvl 2 abilities?

the possessed modules do not show their lvl status, so how to distinguish between the 2 bought ones?

Thanks for replies!

The module will perform at whatever level you have unlocked, no need to re-buy.

#1519 Blackhawk ge

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

thanks, but this means you should unlock frist lvl 1 only and buy the module because after unlocking lvl 2 they cost double the prize. Important to know but somehow not logical as well.

#1520 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostBlackhawk ge, on 23 April 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

thanks, but this means you should unlock frist lvl 1 only and buy the module because after unlocking lvl 2 they cost double the prize. Important to know but somehow not logical as well.

Wait?
Really?

Didn't when I bought my modules...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users