Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

okie doke. :)

#142 whackasnake

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I myself often don't like going in the water in forest colony (I think its a deathtrap for lrms) but if they go there I just go on my own to try and kill something I leave the others alone

#143 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Sometimes it happens.. People are just jerks.. more often than not is it the people that never say anything till they die, then berate everyone else.

I have also seen people get all mad because someone is trying to get any sort of coordination.. again i find this one baffling. Often people have zero clue, or desire to play in a team game,.. Not why they would be playing this game if that is not what they want.

as for the GG on a stomp, to me that is just bad form any way you put it.. (especially considering that it is most often 5-6 people on the other team that do it with in seconds of the match ending, and has zero to do with a team lining up to shake hands and talk after a game, as others have eluded to)

If a game is 12-6+ or higher i will send out the GG on occasion, anything over that, will typically get a GG from me, because it most likely was.. If it was something like 4-0, and the team comes back 12-6 or something i would say it, Or any time a 3-4 person swing happens and the other team wins.. and lastly, any game that really is close or a GG. Especially those games that are 4-0, and then end up in 12-10 wins.. those are epic!

on stomps.. even a 12-6 stomp because those can happen too, I will just say GJ to my team. There is zero reason for me to rub it in, or say GG when it obviously wasn't.. It is hostile IMO, as I often see the same people only giving a GG when they win, even in a 12-10 loss, they drop with out a sound if they are on the loosing side. Though i do see some give the GG, no mater if they are winning, or loosing, or what the score, they just do it every match.. I have zero issue with that, I just don't because i know it rubs some people the wrong way in stomps..

Edited by JC Daxion, 22 July 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#144 Wyest

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 July 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

I have also seen people get all mad because someone is trying to get any sort of coordination.. again i find this one baffling.

Seeing more of this myself.

I've dropped in my assault LRM boat recently, done the usual and asked the team to hold their locks if they want fire support. Not that I can't do my own, but it lets ppl know TAG and Narc's aren't paperweights this round if they have them.

First match no less than three of my own team told me to STFU and not tell them how to play... o.O ooookay...

Second match, a Stalker pilot promptly starts ranting in global chat about LRM's being a total waste of time and how we're now going to lose with 3 LRM assaults (guessing he was LRM fit because we only HAD 3 assaults) and promptly quits.

Also been yelled at for bringing a locust to a PUG drop (even after getting kills with it).
Had the same for refusing to scout in a Com-2D while I'm the ONLY ECM mech on our team and we're on FC...

Personally, I think most of it comes under the Penny Arcade GIF Theory.

#145 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

i am guilty of this;

theres a lot of reasons to it - for starters, you are facing people who just shouldnt be stuck playing with you, you are a noob you just started playing; but some of your foes and team mates are pretty good and have over 3000 matches played; and they are mad when you obviously can't point a laser the right direction or hold it on target.
can you really blame them? blame pgi for making the worst matchmaker in any game, ever.

then the part about gloating is easier to explain; for me at least, sometimes - and i think this is true of most players in mwo- you go through dry spells and maybe you are headshot and it is frustrating, so when you get a good match and kill a whole bunch of people, its understandable a little basking in the glory of saying "i wrecked em did u see that?"
i don\t think you should be offended by any of this; it is just what the game cultivates, anger and frustration - if youre looking for the responsible look at the developers

View PostWyest, on 22 July 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

Seeing more of this myself.

I've dropped in my assault LRM boat recently, done the usual and asked the team to hold their locks if they want fire support. Not that I can't do my own, but it lets ppl know TAG and Narc's aren't paperweights this round if they have them.

First match no less than three of my own team told me to STFU and not tell them how to play... o.O ooookay...

Second match, a Stalker pilot promptly starts ranting in global chat about LRM's being a total waste of time and how we're now going to lose with 3 LRM assaults (guessing he was LRM fit because we only HAD 3 assaults) and promptly quits.

Also been yelled at for bringing a locust to a PUG drop (even after getting kills with it).
Had the same for refusing to scout in a Com-2D while I'm the ONLY ECM mech on our team and we're on FC...

Personally, I think most of it comes under the Penny Arcade GIF Theory.

the thing about lrm boats is they stand behind a building and just spam that crap all match without making sure it even hits. even though most of them have lasers too they never use them until they are alone and their team is dead

i'd have to agree most lrm boats are useless unless the map is alpine or caustic- there are exceptions of course

what are they really doing? wasting ammo on enemies that will twist all that damage spreading it around, lobbing missiles blindly and not helping the team by focusing components; and the worst crime of all - being left intact, that's right - not using their armor to catch a few enemy shots for the benefit of your team, until it's 4v1 and you are rolled.

just played a match where we closed in on 3 boats and they were pretty intact armor-wise. but they didnt help their team and they couldn't do anything.
it's one thing to be fire support and another to be useless when enemies are in your face, put some lasers on there at least and try to poke a few shots

#146 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

back onto the topic:

hostility isn't as bad as you perceive it; in fact i have insulted and been insulted, and then the next match i see the same guy and we apologize to each other because it was the heat of the moment; have patience with people and try to be a team player. seriously you can even make friends with some of them they're not the nasty trolls they seem at first

there was a time when this forum was A LOT WORSE than the chat in-game. believe it. playing a match seemed like pg13 compared to the forums

#147 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

Competitive games are toxic, because the most competitive people are often poor sports, as well.

"A game is only fun if you win"

I'm sure you've heard that one before. Clichéed, sure, but it really gets the point across. Here's an other one for you:

"If you're not optimizing, that means you like to lose"

MWO used to have a really great community when we were all in high spirits for a new Battletech universe game.

Now, PGI has put all their efforts into pleasing the "Competitive" community, because they supposedly pay more money, but in both bringing the kinds of players who like CoD, MW2, and stuff like this non-ironically...

...and driving away or disenfranchising the fans of the Mechwarrior and MechCommander single player campaigns by never offering us anything that caters to our tastes besides being able to ride in a 'mech, they have managed to poison the community.

Once, during Beta, you could write that you wanted to "Surrender", and the other team would leave you alone and just cap, instead, so that you didn't have to pay your repair bill. Even without the repair mechanic in the game, there's no way you could do something like that anymore. Once, not long ago, you could join a 4-man and not be expected to have a mech that followed the meta cookie-cutter, Now, people chew you out for not having the perfect min-max'd builds. Screw that, I'mma pilot my PNT-10K out of spite.

The more e-sporty they try to make MWO, the higher the jerk ratio is going to be.

Edited by ice trey, 23 July 2014 - 01:41 AM.

#148 Wyest

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 23 July 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

hostility isn't as bad as you perceive it; in fact i have insulted and been insulted, and then the next match i see the same guy and we apologize to each other because it was the heat of the moment; have patience with people and try to be a team player. seriously you can even make friends with some of them they're not the nasty trolls they seem at first

It's nice that you can apologise. Most of the people who I've run into multiple times who do spout abuse don't bother (and probably never even think of it).

Having said that, abusing a noob doesn't make them want to listen to you. All it does do is make you look like an elitist jerk. Why would they want to get to know you if their first impression of you is that you're a jerk?

The comment about patience and teamplay should be directed at the "experienced veteran" players more than the noobs, IMO. It would help them far more in getting the good games they so desperately want...

the thing about lrm boats...

Nice examples of some bad LRM boats.

Bet they all got some really good advice from other, more experienced, players on their team instead of the usual abuse and whining, right?
Yeah, didn't think so.

Edited by Wyest, 23 July 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#149 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

Some people just have problems admitting they might not always be right/be the best.

One facepalm of an example recently was a match where the a Jenner ran off from the start of the game. Soon after the killmessage appeared and he started raging that he was the only one smart enough to engage the enemy quickly to surprise them and that his lance who should have backed him up were useless, cowardly n00bs.

Dude... Your lancemates consisted of a Stalker, an Atlas and an Awesome. By the time your 100+ kph arse died we'd never even gotten far enough to so much as _see_ an enemy.

#150 Kanin Zeta

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

I've just started using "gga" or "good game all" to avoid emotionally shattering any of you delicate lil snowflakes :P

Seriously, the only time my blood pressure spikes is when some idjit can't control his "pewpew" impulse and winds up stripping some armor off of me or a team mate. He just may get an alpha to the brain bucket if he catches me before my second cup of go-go juice. After the third, I'm the sweetest SOB you'll ever find...honest.

Another gripe is the team mate who is so tight up my six that he keeps moving into my cover...when I REALLY need to move back into it. I will HAUNT YOU.

Yes...I have said "Boooo.....I'm a sad little ghost" more than once to folks.

Remember: Tact is the ability to stomp on someone's jump-boot without scuffing the shine.

#151 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 20 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Just started playing, and had the glory of seeing some guy called [redacted] from [redacted] harass a guy after killing him with 3 other lights non-stop all game with comments like "Mmmm tasty" and just kept on and on and on

I've seen it in other matches as well, and I just want to know why are people so overly hostile? It seems to be as toxic as League of Legends, and thats saying something.....

1) free to play

2) low skill cap

3) MWO attracts novice PC gamers

Edited by E N E R G Y, 23 July 2014 - 04:55 AM.

#152 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

I think that MWO has got quite a good community.I have to say that nobody has really bothered me in this game.Sure I've been pissed off at being 8-0 down after 2 mins and say **** like "another shite team etc" but generally players in this just get on with it.
Now another tank based mmo I could mention.That has the worst bunch of players I have encountered.
Racists,braindeads,teamkillers,bots and players spamming chat in 5 different languages not to mention the sense of foreboding at the start of a match when you get the Siemka team.I'm so glad I don't play that rigged bullshit game anymore.

#153 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

http://theoatmeal.co...s/online_gaming

#154 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

[quote name='JC Daxion]as for the GG on a stomp' date=' to me that is just bad form any way you put it.. (especially considering that it is most often 5-6 people on the other team that do it with in seconds of the match ending, and has zero to do with a team lining up to shake hands and talk after a game, as others have eluded to)[/quote']

I find this solid griefing event though I know people who say GG after every single game regardless of outcome. I dunno. Maybe I'm shallow, but saying it every time cheapens it when it happens. I only use GG inside teamspeak unless something screws it up or it was a close game that was barely won (or lost) at the end and obviously was a thing of skill. If one team got stomped don't rub their nose in it. Congratulate your team privately. That at least is in good taste.

And never use GGclose unless you're joking at the START of a match when nobody's even fired a shot.

[quote name=' Ice Trey]Once' date=' during Beta, you could write that you wanted to "Surrender", and the other team would leave you alone and just cap, instead, so that you didn't have to pay your repair bill. Even without the repair mechanic in the game, there's no way you could do something like that anymore. Once, not long ago, you could join a 4-man and not be expected to have a mech that followed the meta cookie-cutter, Now, people chew you out for not having the perfect min-max'd builds. Screw that, I'mma pilot my PNT-10K out of spite.[/quote']

I will do that to a certain degree even now. The rest of my team is dead in a stomp, fine, I'm going to hide somewhere and shut down and let them cap and tell them so. They won, game over and I'm not obliged to walk out and let them have at me like a bunch of hyenas on a baby zebra. But then there's Skirmish, and I will fight but once again, if I'm last man standing, I'm going to go make you work to kill me. I'm not going to just charge. I'm going to go hide somewhere and look to ambush you. I don't care. I'm not charitable in this and if I get stuck playing the worst mode in the game for reasons beyond my control (I was in a group and someone forgot I will do this on Skirmish every time and my groups know this) but people wanted deathmatch with this as a possible consequence, so they got it. And no I don't give a crap about KDR like the fallacy goes. It's about having no respect for little thugs and a lot more respect for myself in saying 'you're so tough, work for it. I can't stop you, but I can make you work for your meal the only way I have left which is going to either make me the most satisfying or bad tasting morsel you got this match.' That's my moral victory.

[quote]I've dropped in my assault LRM boat recently, done the usual and asked the team to hold their locks if they want fire support. Not that I can't do my own, but it lets ppl know TAG and Narc's aren't paperweights this round if they have them.

First match no less than three of my own team told me to STFU and not tell them how to play... o.O ooookay...[/quote]

I've given up trying to help people anymore on Terra Therma in Derptown. I can trust my teammates to not charge the PUG Zapper and stand in the door looking at the pretty light while the enemy shoots them... but in a Pug? Forget it. It's so bad at times, I seriously consider just quitting match before we even start match. It's not the map, it's the people who just cannot see beyond the friendly glowing light and must go touch it... and then this happens without the good ending.

[quote name='Wyest]Personally' date=' I think most of it comes under the [url="http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19"']Penny Arcade GIF Theory[/url].[/quote]

This is not just in the gaming community, it's all over the internet. On discussion forums of other topics (politics, religion, gossip, parenting, just about everything) you have "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome. The protection afforded by anonymity associated with the inability for someone to actually do to you what you deserve for being an absolutely horrid person rhetorically emboldens the worst instincts of us all. I've learned how nasty I can get in those other forums and trust me here, I do a lot of rewriting due to my unit's code of honor and clamp down on a lot of just infuriating frustration about matches that go south. That doesn't mean it doesn't occasionally leak out the side in a form of "NOW do we understand why we don't go to the PuG Zapper and stand in doorways????" or "When you see base is 50% captured it is YOUR responsibility to go stop them, not someone else's, mmkay??" That's about as bad as I get because otherwise I'd probably have an aneurism or something holding that stress in. So I ain't perfect, but I'm not the one screaming personally directed epithets.

On the other hand two nights ago, I witnessed some purely miraculous playing. We got stomped on Forest Colony. Our team rushed the grinder outside the tunnel, but nobody went INTO the tunnel. The other team went into the tunnel and waited. Our team went charging right on by and never once noticed 10 mechs in there and went for base. Then the enemy team came boiling out both sides of the tunnel, slaughtered our LRM mechs and stragglers that didn't go with the blob and then turned on the blob who was getting whittled by turret fire and their LRMboats. I could not believe how someone did a tunnel side rush without ever CHECKING THE TUNNEL, and voiced so. That's when I learned they went outside it. At that point we were down 8 mechs.

But then a strange thing happened. Odwalla and another guy (whom I cannot recall his name) started slaughtering them wholesale like an abbatoir on wheels. Then I realized why I recognized that name and the conversation in the chat which had been mostly an 'oy vey' fest to a 'what the?!' to a 'Holy Crap!' The two of them played truly inspired and I made sure they knew how amazing it was in chat. We lost due to base cap, Odwalla was disarmed and sacrificed his armor to try and get the kill lined up for the other guy. Unfortunately it was an untouched Dire Whale and he just stood on base capping and fighting from there, and the instant our last guy standing after Odwalla went down slipped off base to get a shot, they won. That's what can happen when you get top tier players mixed in amongst players of far less skill. All the congrats I gave was in teamchat because it was not a good game, not even my play was that stellar but it was far better than some.

[quote name='Piney' timestamp='1406126148' post='3579661']
[url="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming"]http://theoatmeal.co...s/online_gaming[/url]
[/quote]
Wives... the best playstation ever made for men.

awwwwyeahhhhhh....

Edited by Kjudoon, 23 July 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#155 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

I don't think it's actually as bad as you think.

The reason I love the MWO community is because most of the time, points that others make (whilst being angry) are valid. People aren't afraid to call you out for wandering off with the team. Everyone occasionally makes a really dumb move, and getting called out on it lessens the chances. Or the opposite, sometimes the one High ELO player in a PUG match calls out half their team for an immensely stupid tactic/move order, and that one guy could be right.

The best part: we get over it. I don't think I've seen any players in MWO that just hate each other, or have nemeses.
Communication within matches (imo) has increased greatly as of late. Even in PUG matches. I might not be winning as much as I used to with all the balancing and queue tweaking that's been going on, but I can say I've had more fun playing in the past few months than I did a year ago.

On the other side of the coin, I see people admit to their mistakes, apologize, try their best, and actually offer helpful suggestions to the one guy that's left alive. Sometimes (when you're THAT one guy) you really have to be open to suggestions. There could be someone who knows the map inside and out, and knows the perfect hideyhole. There is no I in team, and certainly no glory in saying "I'll show them!!!11! They can't tell ME what to do" and rushing right into the remaining team's base, to be gunned down by turrets, or overheat.

#156 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 July 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Sometimes it happens.. People are just jerks.. more often than not is it the people that never say anything till they die, then berate everyone else.

I have also seen people get all mad because someone is trying to get any sort of coordination.. again i find this one baffling. Often people have zero clue, or desire to play in a team game,.. Not why they would be playing this game if that is not what they want.

as for the GG on a stomp, to me that is just bad form any way you put it.. (especially considering that it is most often 5-6 people on the other team that do it with in seconds of the match ending, and has zero to do with a team lining up to shake hands and talk after a game, as others have eluded to)

If a game is 12-6+ or higher i will send out the GG on occasion, anything over that, will typically get a GG from me, because it most likely was.. If it was something like 4-0, and the team comes back 12-6 or something i would say it, Or any time a 3-4 person swing happens and the other team wins.. and lastly, any game that really is close or a GG. Especially those games that are 4-0, and then end up in 12-10 wins.. those are epic!

on stomps.. even a 12-6 stomp because those can happen too, I will just say GJ to my team. There is zero reason for me to rub it in, or say GG when it obviously wasn't.. It is hostile IMO, as I often see the same people only giving a GG when they win, even in a 12-10 loss, they drop with out a sound if they are on the loosing side. Though i do see some give the GG, no mater if they are winning, or loosing, or what the score, they just do it every match.. I have zero issue with that, I just don't because i know it rubs some people the wrong way in stomps..

VERY WELL SAID JC.
I wish more people would get off the idea that a "GG" is being sporting-it's become a soft way to insult and gloat now sadly. A 12-3 stomp IS NOT, EVER a GG for the losing team.
I'd say 99% of the peeps I see spamming it after a win never say it when they lose.....

View PostMazzyplz, on 23 July 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

i am guilty of this;

theres a lot of reasons to it - for starters, you are facing people who just shouldnt be stuck playing with you, you are a noob you just started playing; but some of your foes and team mates are pretty good and have over 3000 matches played; and they are mad when you obviously can't point a laser the right direction or hold it on target.
can you really blame them? blame pgi for making the worst matchmaker in any game, ever.

then the part about gloating is easier to explain; for me at least, sometimes - and i think this is true of most players in mwo- you go through dry spells and maybe you are headshot and it is frustrating, so when you get a good match and kill a whole bunch of people, its understandable a little basking in the glory of saying "i wrecked em did u see that?"
i don\t think you should be offended by any of this; it is just what the game cultivates, anger and frustration - if you're looking for the responsible look at the developers

Your first point I agree with, a lot of people on this forum whine about the nasty man shouting at them-but sometimes it actually IS the team's fault.
The amount of times I've tried to be nice and pointed things out politely only to get ignored or told to l2p or stfu etc....If you are standing about , milling and being timid....sorry but it is your fault guys. When that person's frustration boils over and they start spewing at you-sorry but you just contributed to it.
Yes it is a "failure to control self" but that failure has contributing factors and those factors could quite rightly be the team. Sometimes the blame isn't all on you and just sometimes willful ignorance does deserve a roasting.

As for the gloating? It is NEVER appropriate unless that player has been gobbing off first. Rubbing someone's nose in it is the height of poor class behaviour in a competitive environment. Utterly NO NEED TO BRAG OR GLOAT, ever.

#157 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostWyest, on 22 July 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I honestly don't bother saying this any more... If they got tag and narc they will use um.. (i hope) But i do sometimes say,,, Press R everyone, so we know where the enemy is.. R is great for even those that don't have LRM's..

But to the point that LRM's suck? I don't know why.. maybe those top tier competive guys don't use um because they all run the same meta.. But in PUG's I find them a great weapon.. I often do close to top damage, with my LRM cat's and i typically only carry 500-600 rounds.. I just make sure they all will hit when i fire.. :) Besides if all i do is sit and hide, my 3 MPL's never get any action!

#158 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

There's an idiotic philosophy going around right now that if you hit R, people will steal your kill that you are entitled to. So don't hit R because someone might 'help' you at the 'wrong time' and you lose.

Another way to put this is: "Screw teamwork it's OP anyway and I'm Rambo."

#159 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 23 July 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

I honestly don't bother saying this any more... If they got tag and narc they will use um.. (i hope) But i do sometimes say,,, Press R everyone, so we know where the enemy is.. R is great for even those that don't have LRM's..

But to the point that LRM's suck? I don't know why.. maybe those top tier competive guys don't use um because they all run the same meta.. But in PUG's I find them a great weapon.. I often do close to top damage, with my LRM cat's and i typically only carry 500-600 rounds.. I just make sure they all will hit when i fire.. :) Besides if all i do is sit and hide, my 3 MPL's never get any action!

I have a lrm stormcrow, I use the three medium lasers a lot in conjunction with missile fire. One of my best mechs....

#160 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

There's an idiotic philosophy going around right now that if you hit R, people will steal your kill that you are entitled to. So don't hit R because someone might 'help' you at the 'wrong time' and you lose.

Another way to put this is: "Screw teamwork it's OP anyway and I'm Rambo."

Seriously? People think like this? Are they braindead or something? If somebody else shoots my target, then good job! Less time for that enemy to put holes in my mech!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users