With First Person Only Dead, Nothing Is Sacred. Can We Please Consider Cone Of Fire Now?

152 replies to this topic

#121 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostPrezimonto, on 25 February 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

You're thinking about it wrong, based on that diagram. Think about it from a targeting perspective, your targeting computer can micro-adjust certain weapons and certain ranges well... but only if you're receiving good and complete targeting information. Outside of that limitation your mech is having a hard time lining up all those barely mobile weapons in it's torso by just flexing it's steely pecks.

I can't agree with the CoF being insanely wide by that standard. The way some y'all describe an insane and nearly inaccurate CoF.

TT rules and modifiers are nice for a touch of realism but you keep forgetting that the purpose of CoF is to balance the game.
Right now the CoF mechanics suggested do lower the effectiveness of AC and Poptarting but it is still a blanket solution.

Apply the Optimal CoF with your modifiers and adjust the CoF size case by case.

An AC/20 shouldn't miss at 270m just because the pilot didn't have his reticule on it for a full second, targeted it, is moving, has high heat, is slowing down, and all these other modifiers.

You make a list of arbitrary modifiers and pretty much unnecessary and you make a system just as bad as Ghost Heat. The gun is pointed at the enemy. You miss because a list of reasons that shouldn't interfere at that range because its akin to having it point blank for that weapon system.

That makes no sense to me. Compromise for Gameplay and Your system.

#122 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Joseph came up with idea awhile back, and he may have posted it in here as well (haven't read everything) that I really liked. Basically when firing individual weapons they are accurate however, when you fire more than one you start to have a cone of fire effect with more and more weapons the bigger the cone. This does a couple of things that make the game a little more interesting at least for me. First, you still have the ability to snipe accurately but the damage is lowered because you are limited to one weapon in order to have that accuracy, which in turn means other play styles have a chance like people having a better chance of being able to close distance to brawl without being obliterated right away. The second things this does is give the targeting computer and pin-point talent a reason to exist in this game by allowing it to lower the effect of the cone of fire when firing multiple weapons. Instead of a useless item like command console the targeting computer would at least have a place.

#123 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 25 February 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

I can't agree with the CoF being insanely wide by that standard. The way some y'all describe an insane and nearly inaccurate CoF.

TT rules and modifiers are nice for a touch of realism but you keep forgetting that the purpose of CoF is to balance the game.
Right now the CoF mechanics suggested do lower the effectiveness of AC and Poptarting but it is still a blanket solution.

Apply the Optimal CoF with your modifiers and adjust the CoF size case by case.

An AC/20 shouldn't miss at 270m just because the pilot didn't have his reticule on it for a full second, targeted it, is moving, has high heat, is slowing down, and all these other modifiers.

You make a list of arbitrary modifiers and pretty much unnecessary and you make a system just as bad as Ghost Heat. The gun is pointed at the enemy. You miss because a list of reasons that shouldn't interfere at that range because its akin to having it point blank for that weapon system.

That makes no sense to me. Compromise for Gameplay and Your system.

I would agree, any single weapon in a weapon group that has only one weapon or is chain fired should be completely precise and accurate. It's grouped weapons that should need the targeting information or receive a modest CoF, depending on the range, movement, weapon types, hard point locations.. ect...

The other issue, that makes this VASTLY better than ghost heat, is that it can be linked to a simple aiming reticle which changes size based on CoF being applied. That's direct and intuitive feedback for the player to understand what the conditions and penalties are at that moment in the game. Ghost heat doesn't have any game play feedback.

Edited by Prezimonto, 25 February 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#124 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Tl;dr?

Balance your bloody CoF not because you want some bloody TT modifiers to implement more "RNG"

TT Modifiers can only translate to a real time FPS to a certain degree.

You go beyond that and you are just tacking on a convoluted system much like Ghost Heat.

Edited by Tichorius Davion, 25 February 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#125 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

Then the problem here is simply your ignorance.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But quite honestly the systems don't work on the back end the way you're thinking they do. And implementing a system like this could be a mitigating and balancing factor.

The unwillingness to even experiment with the idea or offer up other suggestions or proper critiques rather than a flat 'no' shows you're in no position to really debate. You're refusing at this point for the sake of refusing.

Now just for the sake of more evidence. Note that in tabletop Battletech accuracy on weapon fire is decreased when the mech moves in the same turn. While mechs accuracy is maintained when the mech does not move and fire in the same turn. This also supports having a cone of fire system in place as it would be representational of the decrease in accuracy from a moving mech.

This system of cone of fire was also implemented in Mechwarrior 3 which is the last real Simulator Mechwarrior title. Quite honestly Mechwarrior 4 was made more arcady to appeal to a wider audience, and while well done and fun to play, it wasn't on the same level as Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 3.

#126 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostSybreed, on 25 February 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

I'm sorry, where did i mention using different weapon values?

You didn't, I did. It's slippery slope territory, but mainly hyperbole. Cone of Fire is generally poor design. Just because "everyone else is doing it" is not a valid reason to include it. RO didn't entirely implement it, they went for more of a muzzle climb system, but that still wouldn't be entirely appropriate here.

#127 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 25 February 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

You didn't, I did. It's slippery slope territory, but mainly hyperbole. Cone of Fire is generally poor design. Just because "everyone else is doing it" is not a valid reason to include it. RO didn't entirely implement it, they went for more of a muzzle climb system, but that still wouldn't be entirely appropriate here.

In RO2, and Rising Storm

Semi-automatic weapons have cone of fire as well as fully automatic, Movement while aiming caused muzzle drift making it for making aiming while moving more difficult.

The semi automatic weapons cone of fire was only for rapidly successive shots with recoil applied, but it's controllable.

World of Tanks has it applied for any vehicular movement it has an expanding cone of fire applied to all weapons, Still competitive.

Counterstrike has cone of fire associated with movement, considered one of the first professional competitive games.

I can cited tons of titles that have done it well and kept the game competitive with player skill applied.

Within the Mechwarrior Franchise MW3 had cone of fire associated with the weapon convergence time, there was about a half second to 1 second delay required once a target was lined up to accuracy hit an individual piece, prior to that even with tons of lasers you'd hit all over the target.

Though no matter how many good sources and proper implementations cited by quite a few folks this whole concept seems to be met with scathing dislike and I haven't heard a good reason why other than the generic "it removes player skill." I just don't see how that's a good source of reasoning. Talented players across a myriad of competitive titles that use this mechanic are still talented.

What cone of fire will do is mitigate the jump sniping and full speed combat, you'll see the fights become more tactical as for accurate shots you'll need to slow down or stop allotting for a risk/reward factor in the actions you choose to make, Even so my example of cone of fire from an earlier post noted that a maximum variance of 1 degree difference would be the width of a medium mech at nearly 1 kilometer out. So for close up engagements you're not losing a terrible degree of accuracy as it stands.

I've waited for other viable options to be presented but I haven't seen many. And the ones I've seen are proponents of some sort of Cone of Fire system, not those that are outright against it. For all the Nay Sayers. Please present other options as many of you have stated that Ghost Heat does not work, and it's more a bandaid. Provide some other options, you don't want Cone of Fire so what else is there as an alternative that can mitigate the pinpoint precision damage issue when using a lot of high powered weapons at once.

#128 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

I don't find anything inherently objectionable about CoF. I've played plenty of games with it and learned to adjust to it without any huge issues. I just make sure I'm close enough that the cone isn't so big that it affects my ability to land shots. Pretty easy to deal with really as you just change the range at which you engage. However, that is really what CoF does: it enforces an effective range on a weapon. It honestly doesn't matter, in this game, if your weapons are pinpoint-accurate. It only matters if they are accurate engough to hit the body section you are aiming for. So if you are 50 meters out it probably doesn't matter what the cone of fire is, since you could still probably pick any part (maybe not the head) and hit it reliably with any weapon you choose. If you are 500 meters out, then you might not be able to reliably hit a body section any more. That is, realistically, the effect CoF has: it limits effective range.

Now, MWO already has a mechanic for limiting effective range...it is the long/max range numbers. Functionally, this has pretty much the same effect as CoF. Up to a certain point (long range) you are guaranteed full damage to whatever you aim at. This is the equivalent of the range with CoF where the cone is smaller than any body part you want to aim at. Between long and max range, damage drops off so that even though you can still hit, you do less damage over time. With a CoF, you would be expected to land a lower percentage of hits once the cone got bigger than a given body part, again lowering your damage over time to any one section. There are some nuances that slightly change how max/long range and CoF play, but really they both accomplish about the same thing.

Think about it like this: lets say that highlander is sniping you at 500m with two PPC's and two AC5's. He can hit any body part he aims at and land 30 damage each volley. Life sucks and you hate getting sniped so lets try changing things two ways. First, lets leave range alone and add a cone of fire that is about the same diameter as your CT's width at 200m, and increases linearly. Highlander boy will still be able to drop 30 points into one section at 200m, but at 500m the cone will be big enough that he has a good chance of landing most of the damage on your mech, but it will be spread out over your torsos and maybe a little on your legs and arms. Lets say that, on average, he will land 1/3 of his damage on the body section he was aiming for. Now, instead of messing with CoF, lets just adjust his long/max ranges (make long range much shorter, change the dmage curve between long/max, whatever) so that he does max damage at 200m and damage drops to 1/3 at 500m. How different is this really going to make the gameplay? With range adjustment it should be less variable, and you may do less damage overall than CoF, but if we are talking players with decent aim, they will end up knocking out whatever torso section they are aiming for in about the same number of shots.

I'm not saying CoF is good or bad. I'm just saying that I think you can ultimately accomplish very similar blance changes by using the max/long range system we already have. You could just as easily nerf the crap out of ranges to hurt sniping as you could by adding a cone of fire. Really, I think it comes down to which range-limiting systems feels more satisfying to you.

Edited by Maxx Blue, 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#129 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostFut, on 25 February 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

So you think that somebody should be able to run full speed and fire a "Sniper" weapon with perfect accuracy then? How is this logical?

The suggestion is to have the cone "open" when people are in a situation where their accuracy would be compromised (ie. while running, twisting, receiving damage...etc). If you slow your Mech, and take a moment to aim, the cone would "close" and your shots would be as accurate as they are today (pixel perfect).

Ok, I'll reiterate: Adding a CoF to a sniper weapon, would be a heavy nerf, and you would not be able to use said weapon for sniping.

A variable CoF based on movement speed would dumb the game down to CoD levels. I do hope that people stop suggesting this and realise this game mechanic is ****.

Please stop tacking on real life situations to a video game...

#130 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Obligatory Response:

PGI, please keep direct fire weapons as they are now. No need to change them. They are in a good spot. Might reduce their range a bit but that's it

#131 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostMirkk Defwode, on 25 February 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

The unwillingness to even experiment with the idea...

The idea in question, is the equivalent of someone saying "Hey everyone, lets eat our own ****."

How about, we don't do that.

...or offer up other suggestions or proper critiques rather than a flat 'no' shows you're in no position to really debate. You're refusing at this point for the sake of refusing.

If you're saying I've not been offering alternative suggestions, this shows your ignorance. You can quite plainly see all the suggestions I've posted, unless you've not bothered to look in the first place.

Refusing for the sake of refusing. That you would make such a bald assertion, and pretend it's something factual, or worse, actually believe it to be fact. That actually shows how monstrous you are.

Note that in tabletop....

MWO is NOT a tabletop game. The tabletop is NOT a balanced video game, its a tabletop game that was created decades ago.

...in Mechwarrior 3...

That wasn't balanced either! Arms race, mixtech, hey lets run around each other and shoot each others legs off.

Edited by Moromillas, 25 February 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#132 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Ok, I'll reiterate: Adding a CoF to a sniper weapon, would be a heavy nerf, and you would not be able to use said weapon for sniping.

A variable CoF based on movement speed would dumb the game down to CoD levels. I do hope that people stop suggesting this and realise this game mechanic is ****.

true, most snipers today constantly pop perfect shots while running and jumping.

I played CS yesterday and got 5 headshots by jumping around with my AWP, true story.

I mean, you know the point-and-click gameplay used by MWO has the same difficulty level as most flash games? And those sure are test of elite skills.

#133 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 25 February 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Balance your bloody CoF not because you want some bloody TT modifiers to implement more "RNG"

TT Modifiers can only translate to a real time FPS to a certain degree.

You go beyond that and you are just tacking on a convoluted system much like Ghost Heat.

Pinpoint weapon damage, especially at the ranges and quantities present in MWO, create stale and unsatisfying gameplay that doesn't capture what defines Battletech and "Western" Mecha as a genre. Right now it is more similar to a twitch shooter. Cursor to target precision is what matters most and only a handful of weapons are even worth taking, and other playstyles are simply not viable.

The goal isn't to introduce RNG because the tabletop game did it.

The goal is to emulate the feel and the gameplay element of the tabletop game, which had higher damage dispersal across the 'mech's various locations.

The goal is to spread damage around. The goal is to increase TTK, to make the distance between wounded and dead more significant, to increase the impact of structural and system damage, to increase the survivability of low mobility 'mechs. The best route to accomplish that goal is to create a system that makes long ranged damage and mobile snap shots less precise - i.e. Cone of Fire.

You're presuming we are putting the cart before the horse, when that is simply not the case. It's not randomness because tabletop is random, Q.E.D. It's trying to transform the game from CT Snipefest into a battlemech simulator that has some of the feel of the Mechwarrior/Battletech universe, where your 'mech can take some punishment and suffers degradations of performance for doing things like stacking up ridiculous heat, running full tilt, or getting your arm blown off or getting a stuffed knee actuator, but can still meaningfully contribute to the battle.

And frankly, a dynamic cone of fire that relies on heat management, throttle management, and jump jet management is going to create a much higher skill cap than the current point-and-core guns we have now.

#134 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 18 February 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

Would prefer other balance mechanics over random rolls.

Not a solution, but certainly an opinion. Okay, more reasoning behind that opinion would be appreciated as I don't get the dislike as it's a common mechanic in shooters both first and 3rd person throughout the gaming industry.

View PostMoromillas, on 18 February 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Perhaps a tiny variance (excluding sniper weapons) would be acceptable, maybe even a recoil mechanic, something that wouldn't be noticeable at short and medium range. I donno, maybe it's something that needs testing, to find out how it goes.

I do know that, any game where you are wrestling with RNG, it just makes gameplay not fun.

Alright, accepting a tiny variance would be fine. That's all I've argued for and even then a tiny variance only while moving. So precision remains intact while standing still.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

A lot of those suggestions are for curbing heavy alpha strike builds, yet they already implemented a mechanic to balance that, ghost heat. Is ghost heat not doing its job? Maybe an increase on the amount of ghost heat.

I still think they should have buffed internals when they buffed armor.

I have another idea to spread damage.

Lasers, they're designed to be damage over time. To dish out the entirety of a lasers damage, requires you to hold it on a specific point, so IF you want pinpoint damage to a location, it's very difficult to do.

Ok, why not a similar mechanic for ballistics? At the moment, you fire an AC10, and it shoots out 1 round that deals 10 damage. If instead, it fired 10 shots in increments that did 1 damage each, you'd see some damage spread. For example, you fire an AC10, and it finishes firing 10 rounds after 0.5 seconds (maybe 1 second?), and with each hit, it deals 1 damage. It might look better too.

Alright an offered up solution. Granted I'd forgotten this. Though I could see this being more frustrating to deal with than just having a cone of fire of some sort implemented for mechs that are moving.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

That, sounds like ghost heat isn't doing its job.

You agree ghost heat isn't doing its job correctly as high alpha strike combos can be made without the heat element. The prior post brought up PPC+ACs rather than all PPCs for a high alpha strike combination.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Because putting cone of fire on a sniper weapon would render it defunct, as their intended purpose is for long range.

Sniper weapons aren't defunct in other titles that use a cone of fire, infact they remain strong and excessively used in many cases. Battlefield, and Call of Duty (I understand your dislike here - I agree, the franchise has gone to crap) or excellent examples of where this is still true to form. Though they're precision headshot weapons and the users often do not hip fire them, when they do they can still be brutally effective.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Those seem to be two separate issues. The alpha, and the lack of spread. Hopefully there's a lot more solutions to it than to add randoms.

Did you see my idea to improve AC spread? It's back on page 1.

With ghost heat, I don't think they should scrap it just yet. If it's possible to fix, I think it should be. It actually takes quite a lot to implement new systems.

Pointing backwards at your solution. Good call. Again I overlooked this.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Sniper weapons already have mechanics in place to curb damage at long range. Add a random variance, even half a degree, and it will be much to difficult to land a shot at long range.

I don't think the sniper mechanics really fully curb the damage they possess, but I'll agree I often don't get hit with them unless I leave myself exposed by going into a large open space. And the variance for "sniper" weapons can be adjusted, this is part of a tuning process when implementing a new system. No one says it'll work over night.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Not really. The problem seems to be WHEN a penalty is applied, and not the penalty itself.

If 4 PPC's gives you a CoF, but 2 PPC's and some AC's give you no CoF, but the same alpha damage. Then changing the penalty from one to another doesn't accomplish anything.

Replace ghost heat with CoF, and Instead of players saying that ghost heat isn't working, they'll be saying that CoF isn't working.

Simply adding a minor and differential CoF variance to all the weapons across the board isn't a very ideal solution either. Too much, and it becomes random rolls land, less and it accomplishes nothing.

I disagree, I think all weapons should be viable and competitive.

You may be right players made say that cone of fire isn't working after it's implemented, but we don't know how it'll actually work within the current system until implemented. Even then once implemented it'll take a bit of tuning to get it right through testing to ensure proper balance.

View PostMoromillas, on 19 February 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Your heat does go up a bit while walking and running.

Yup

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

The intent was to have a mechanic to balance high alpha damage.

Ghost heat's intent is known, it's just a poor system for it. And the hidden effects are not well demonstrated to the end user. My crutch there is the lack of information provided to the user for showing whats going on and why it's occurring.

It's my belief that a system like Cone of Fire which is more visible to the user in several capacities tends to be more informative allowing the user to adjust their behavior better to choose their own risk/reward situations and improve on their skills overall.

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Boating is still very much in the game, there's no limit to it, but there are penalties for firing many of the same weapon in order to achieve egregious alpha damage to a pinpoint location. You can still do this, but you have to bear the penalty. The alpha damage potential, the boating viability, penalties where placed on both -- They're the same thing.

Yes, it's not BattleTech, it's MechWarrior.

Mechwarrior is Battletech. The purpose of the first mechwarrior games were to emulate the behavior seen in tabletop but give the user the sense of being in the battle. You go back and look at Mechwarrior through Mechwarrior 3 the titles were very much striving to be simulators. Sadly the popularity of a simulation title fell as more and more people became interested in PC gaming, or gaming in general. From there you see the gameplay behavior become more arcade like while retaining some qualities of the tabletop and previous titles. This youtube video is a demonstration of that evolution.

Even so separating the two for gameplay purposes makes sense to some degree, but systems can be created to continue to attempt parody to the original source material. Quite honestly I've been impressed with MWO for the viability of the TRO designs to function fairly well within the combat designs in the game. This is a good sign to me that they're trying to make sure the source material is fairly well honored in their interpretation of it's mechanics.

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

This is incorrect. Changing the damage is essentially what ghost heat did/does, and it directly relates to pinpoint damage. Anytime you increase the heat, you're lowering the damage.

Boating was the preferred method to get large pinpoint damage because you would have weapons that all functioned the same way, same velocity, same cooldown, same range. So with that, you could land more shots on a specific location and get large amounts of damage there.

This does show the strength of boating, and honestly boating is a part of the mechanics from the canon material. There are mechs that are designed to be just focal weapon platforms. Others are more generalists. Even then you have dueling mechs that were created for Solaris VII

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

I've not seen any numbers on anything Clan, yet you do need penalties in place for balance. Ghost heat is marginally better than adding CoF, which is a random mechanic.

Cone of fire can be a controlled mechanic to encourage specific behavior. Your accuracy isn't decreased if you're standing still. So the idea is to slow the player down, or get them to stop and fire. Admittedly the stopping and firing for 100% accurate shot is mildly annoying but thats also how it worked in Mech4. So funny thing there.

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

You're not sure why random rolls would be frustrating?

Yeah narrowly missing a target can be a bit frustrating. It's more a question as to why people take such a hard line against trying the mechanic.

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

That's because every game like CoD has been dumbed right down to cater to all the college dude bros. I complain about that watered down piss every chance I get.

Adding a small cone of fire doesn't dumb it down. If anything the current iterations of Call of Duty as a franchise are more akin to Unreal Tournament than they are to the original Call of Duty or even Call of Duty 2. The last "good" Call of Duty title in my opinion was Modern Warfare.

But there are other current competitive games that use the cone of fire mechanic that have depth and tactics to them. I suggest you research those a bit. I'd suggest World of Tanks as a good place to start. The suggestions I've made before as a cone of fire system are closely based on World of Tanks as a whole, though I'd not make the cones as large and drastic as theirs.

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

The entire thread is about CoF, which is random rolls... Well done.

Hang on my screens all foggy. Please excuse me while I hide behind this chest high wall briefly.

Yup.

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

Then the problem here is simply your ignorance.

Personal insults really don't need to be here. I'm debating an alternative point of view.

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

The game implies some real life mechanics, And at the very least we can try to adhere to some rules associated in physics to ensure a users suspension of disbelief.

We know we're not going to see giant machines that are bipedal or quadrupedal running around at high speed firing weaponry designs for tanks, light armored vehicles, or aircraft. But part of the idea is that'd it'd just be cool if we did.

Adding some realism to the point that someone can disconnect from the look of the game and feel a part of it is the idea behind games in general. It's escapism. Allowing for things that their conscience mind can look at and go "that's possible" is the goal. Or sometimes it's just silly and something to laugh at. But this isn't a game along the lines of Saint's Row or Leisure Suit Larry. We're looking for something visceral as a player base and a means to suspend our disbelief and believe this universe exists.

If you disagree with that okay, but I can tell you now this is what narrative writers look to do when working on a game.

View PostMoromillas, on 25 February 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

The idea in question, is the equivalent of someone saying "Hey everyone, lets eat our own ****."

How about, we don't do that.

If you're saying I've not been offering alternative suggestions, this shows your ignorance. You can quite plainly see all the suggestions I've posted, unless you've not bothered to look in the first place.

Refusing for the sake of refusing. That you would make such a bald assertion, and pretend it's something factual, or worse, actually believe it to be fact. That actually shows how monstrous you are.

MWO is NOT a tabletop game. The tabletop is NOT a balanced video game, its a tabletop game that was created decades ago.

That wasn't balanced either! Arms race, mixtech, hey lets run around each other and shoot each others legs off.

That comparison really isn't called for. I'm curious though where does that scathing dislike for this mechanic come from? Because I've rarely run into titles where it interfered to a degree that I would refuse to play or not find a means to adapt if I felt strongly about the experience.

You're also correct in saying MWO isn't tabletop but this goes back to me stating that we can look for parody. Not exactly the same as what we'd see in the tabletop but a close enough that all the fans that have been around since the 80's can feel proud to be playing a new battletech game. As well as enjoy their experience with this title as well as with their old ones.

Okay if you want to toss us old fans out into the cold even then the idea of systems that are visible to the user is a far superior design for both player morale and balance purposes.

Calling out MW3 as mixtech and unbalanced is fair. But it is a franchise title with an example of cone of fire functioning. It was intended to be little else.

As for my bald accusation. You did have one suggestion as an alternative and a callback to it. So I apologize, though most of your other posts are just trying to refute others who have suggestions or disagree with you. Some reasoning as to why you think this system doesn't work or where it'd be problematic would be helpful to alleviate your concerns or at least look for a middle ground we all can agree is a superior solution.

I'm not sure I'd agree with it as mechanically it doesn't make sense. It also doesn't fit canon well for the universe. You also didn't have any depth as to whether this is a sustained fire weapon, meaning you decide when that stream of shells start and stop or a mechanical burst where you pull the trigger once and all the shells fire at once.

If it's the mechanical burst I'll attest that it's a pain to deal with that and would likely make most of the heavy autocannons unusable. But it'd be worth investigating. That also sorta blurs the line between the autocannon and rotary autocannons though for when they arrive as a new weapon tech at around 3056 I believe.

#135 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostSybreed, on 25 February 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

I mean, you know the point-and-click gameplay used by MWO has the same difficulty level as most flash games?

Posted Image

#136 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

If you want the most realistic Battlemech damage you want overlapping hitboxes and not a cone of fire.

Thing is none of this will fix anything. All it will do is make dakka dakka type weapons more powerful, and they already do the highest damage per second to make up for the natural cone of fire that occurs. I am sure you can all see that? No? Oh well, I tried.

#137 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Off topic, but I'm pretty proud I broke the forum with exceeding the character limit.

I had some things of value to say in that wall of text, but everyone will just gloss over it so no worries.

View PostGreyGriffin, on 25 February 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Pinpoint weapon damage, especially at the ranges and quantities present in MWO, create stale and unsatisfying gameplay...

You put it better than I did and in a more concise manner. I applaud you sir.

#138 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

All the games people have quoted as using CoF systems are CoD style shooters where it only takes a couple of shots to the toe to kill you, regenerate health by ducking next to chest high walls and haven't got varied projectile speeds.

Personally, I'd like to see some JJ shake effect applied mildly to general movement. Tie it to throttle percentage, gives us a reason to not always use 100% throttle all of the time. Tie it also to the Actuators in arms.

A mild shake effect can be worked around by a skill sharpshooter, a circle inside which your shot may land, cannot be worked around because you have no idea where your gun is pointing at any given time.

Changing ACs to burst fire would ruin them at close ranges for brawlers. If you combined that with a CoF, brawling would never, COULD never happen, because you'd never be able to hit your target properly.
Can't just stop in the middle of a brawl to line up a shot. Have to keep moving.

A Cone of Fire mechanic would stop highly accurate poptarts. But it would simply shift all the poptarts to the peek and boom crowd, since the CoF would be minimal at the low speeds required to duck in and out of cover.

#139 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Reticle sway (and pov sway, for that matter) is a no go for motion sickness reasons, afaik.

#140 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostReitrix, on 25 February 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Personally, I'd like to see some JJ shake effect applied mildly to general movement. Tie it to throttle percentage, gives us a reason to not always use 100% throttle all of the time. Tie it also to the Actuators in arms.

^^ but I'd prefer the variance in the amount of shake to be tied to speed rather than throttle and modified by the weight of the mech so that a light at half-speed has the same amount of shake as an assault at half speed. Further, the definition of max speed for a mech should be based on the max installable engine size rather than currently installed engine.

View PostGreyGriffin, on 25 February 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Reticle sway (and pov sway, for that matter) is a no go for motion sickness reasons, afaik.

Which would bring us back to CoF if correct?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users