27 replies to this topic

#1 Fiaura The Tank Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

1. Reduce the speed to 150 m/s.

2. Give us a warning when we are locked, not when the missiles fire, when they achieve the lock and so long as the lock is being held on us.

3. Give us a warning when we are narced or tagged. I'm sorry but we have all these sensors to determine our armor, status of our equipment, and internal structure integrity but we cannot tell when a narc beacon is transmitting our position? Bull.

This should balance them back out. I do not know why you implemented everything all at once, that is like the worst decision ever. If you wanted to improve a weapon system, learn PGI Do it in phases! Not all at once.

Example:
Instead of boosting missile speed by 50%, boost it by 10% see if that achieves the change you want.
If not, boost it another 10% of the original base speed.
rinse and repeat, adjust up and down till you get the perfect % for the effect you want, adjusting it 1 or 2% once you get the range down.

Implement one change to narc at a time, you changed all 4 things you promised, all at once! Why? Make one change, see how it works, then make another change later.

On another note: In no Battletech game I've ever played have LRMs been this effective. They are an indirect fire, splash weapon. That means that they are suppose to miss 40-80% of the time, depending on the skill level of the pilot.

#2 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostNatalia Uchevnikov, on 21 March 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

...In no Battletech game I've ever played have LRMs been this effective...

wat.

#3 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Please give us a warning when we're locked! I would love to send fools scrambling without even wasting the ammo!

#4 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

They gave a warning when you were locked on in closed beta. It was the most annoying and useless thing ever. If they did that again, I would purposely change targets when spotting to herd the cattle to their deaths. So please put it in, I love screwing with people 1K meters away w/ ECM.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

NARC warning is good though. I don't agree with speed change. LRMs are largely in a good place. The NARC update is a bit much now though; with a little coordination it's the finger of death on some maps. There is simply no LRM cover on Caustic and much of Alpine.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

Maybe my elo is too low. But I'm not really having as much trouble with LRMs. Before the buff. I wouldn't consider using LRMs on anything slower then 88 or less then 20 missiles per salvo. Just seemed like a liability once someone closes with you it becomes a paperweight. And if you try to keep long distance. They just tease you with PPC/AC fire as they quickly drop back into cover and you waste your limited ammo supply. I have to play it closer and faster to both stay alive and do good damage.

Though I do notice a lot more people just lobbing missiles from long range. More people spotting. I'm curious if less people will use it eventually. I did notice more people being careful as well. Not just tracing about out into the open safe in the thought they could just run back to cover a their leisure.

I do agree that you should be able to tell if you've been narc'd. But tag requires the person to keep line of sight on you. So I think it's a fair trade. I think what they should do is increase the lock on time on targets that you're not personally in line of sight.

#7 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

2. Give us a warning when we are locked, not when the missiles fire, when they achieve the lock and so long as the lock is being held on us.

3. Give us a warning when we are narced or tagged. I'm sorry but we have all these sensors to determine our armor, status of our equipment, and internal structure integrity but we cannot tell when a narc beacon is transmitting our position? Bull.

This should balance them back out. I do not know why you implemented everything all at once, that is like the worst decision ever. If you wanted to improve a weapon system, learn PGI Do it in phases! Not all at once.

Example:
Instead of boosting missile speed by 50%, boost it by 10% see if that achieves the change you want.
rinse and repeat, adjust up and down till you get the perfect % for the effect you want, adjusting it 1 or 2% once you get the range down.

Implement one change to narc at a time, you changed all 4 things you promised, all at once! Why? Make one change, see how it works, then make another change later.

On another note: In no Battletech game I've ever played have LRMs been this effective. They are an indirect fire, splash weapon. That means that they are suppose to miss 40-80% of the time, depending on the skill level of the pilot.

Resistance is futile. Spam left mouse button win without aim is the new skill!

#8 Igorius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationA place beyond your dreams

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Compared to the "LRMpocalypses" of the past, this one is really quite benign. Give people time to get used to LRMs being effective again, and it'll calm down.

I do like the idea of some kind of warning tone for Narc hits, though have it kick in after a delay of five to six seconds or so. You know, just enough to make the pilot realize why he's suddenly attracting LRMs like flies on stink. Instant warnings for Narc hits will really undercut their new semi-usefulness.

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

ERMEHGERD!

SOMEONE KILLED ME WITH A PPC! NERF IT!
SOMEONE KILLED ME WITH AN AC! NERF IT!
SOMEONE KILLED ME WITH A GAUSS! NERF IT!

SOMEONE KILLED ME WITH LRMS! NERF THEM!

Someone was talking about seperate queues/Elos for beginning players at one point...I really hope PGI takes that to heart. We need to have a "Kiddie Pool" version of the game and an "Adult Pool" version.

That way, whenever someone starts a "OMG, SOMETHING KILLED ME, IT'S OP" post...we can tell them to go play in the Kiddie Pool for a bit.

#10 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

1. I don't agree with just flat out re-nerfing LRMs but perhaps they could have less travel speed within a certain range, say 350m, and then after that they benefit from the current speed increase. Overall it seems pretty balanced to me though, LRMs have never really been a problem for me before now unless I put myself in a bad situation and now they're actually more of a threat, but not unreasonably so.

2. Not necessary.

3. I agree with having a warning for NARC because it's a pretty easy fire & forget weapon now but there's really no need to have a special warning for TAG, especially because you can see it pretty clearly hitting you if you're facing it.

#11 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

Yo OPer*

How about PGI changes LRMs hit mechanics... to the SAME as STREAKS?

This will spread out damage and BALANCE them... IMHO.

Problem Solved... if PGI can do this without Coding Issues! :P

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostDock Steward, on 21 March 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Please give us a warning when we're locked! I would love to send fools scrambling without even wasting the ammo!

We once had that. The QQ was epic at that time too because it was a great trolling tool that made a whole lot of players look like bumbling fools. That is why it was removed.

#13 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostMystere, on 22 March 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

We once had that. The QQ was epic at that time too because it was a great trolling tool that made a whole lot of players look like bumbling fools. That is why it was removed.

For the record, I don't actually think there is any benefit to having that warning back. However, the idea to add a "You've been Narc'd" warning is definitely a good one.

#14 Varent

• 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Example:

1) You already have more then enough time if your playing smart. If your playing poorly you deserve it.

2) This will tie into number 3, wich I will explain.

3) Why would we take away from role warefare of scouts actually being sneaky and trying to las you from behind. This is a good thing and forces you to be more aware and not just assume a force isnt flanking. its ridiculous in a shooting game for you to not actively keep checking behind you. Wich plays into number 2 with this one. That you already should be aware of your surroundings. If a mech sneaks up on you and tags you he should be rewarded. You as a player should be aware of your surroundings and not rely on a game to do things for you.

This isnt easy mode.

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostSandpit, on 22 March 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

#16 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Just make LRMs direct fire only and increase speed to 500m/sec As for lock tone - yes please, for all weapons.

#17 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostVarent, on 22 March 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

3) Why would we take away from role warefare of scouts actually being sneaky and trying to las you from behind. This is a good thing and forces you to be more aware and not just assume a force isnt flanking. its ridiculous in a shooting game for you to not actively keep checking behind you. Wich plays into number 2 with this one. That you already should be aware of your surroundings. If a mech sneaks up on you and tags you he should be rewarded. You as a player should be aware of your surroundings and not rely on a game to do things for you.

I don't really agree on a couple points there. For one, in most shooting games you can simply turn your mouse in less than half a second to look behind you while in this game you are clearly not anywhere near as agile or mobile. For another thing, it isn't hard to just stick somebody with a NARC and then run off while they face lurmpocalypse, which I have at least some experience with already. I do agree that if somebody hits you with a TAG laser then you should be an easier target without a warning because a TAG specifically requires them to hold it on the target, but it's very easy to just run in and hit somebody with a NARC and currently they have no way of knowing unless they were specifically watching for it while you fired it in their face.

I'm not saying that NARC doesn't have its own drawbacks because compared to TAG it's limited by ammo, takes up more space, has more tonnage, has less range, and it can miss because it's not hitscan. However, considering how relatively easy it is to use now it seems fair to add a warning after some time (6-7 seconds or so?) and possibly reinstate a damage cap but make it higher than it was before.

Edited by Pjwned, 23 March 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#18 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Restore the Gauss Rifle to be average player usable. Many players would switch to that and it counters LRMs.

#19 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Daekar's guide to fixing LRMs without making them useless:
1) Increase lock on time for teammate supplied targets by 50% without Artemis and 100% to 150% with Artemis. Narc/tag lock times remain the same.
2) Flatten LRM trajectory for long range shots a bit to allow more pieces of the map to serve as cover. The trajectory is fairly flat for short range - just alter the rate at which the maximum arc increases as range increases.
BAM - done, minimal work involved.

LRM damage isn't the problem. It's the fact that they can reach over considerable obstacles from long range when targeted indirectly.

Edited by Daekar, 23 March 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostDaekar, on 23 March 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

1) Increase lock on time for teammate supplied targets by 50% without Artemis and 100% to 150% with Artemis. Narc/tag lock times remain the same.

Lock-on time should be worse with Artemis? That does not sound right.

Edited by Mystere, 23 March 2014 - 08:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users