Please Remove Kdr

Gameplay Metagame

471 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Twice today i've had idiots run away to hide and shutdown at the start of the match because they "knew we were going to lose" and wanted to protect their KDR so their ELO goes up ^_^
KDR means nothing except you got the last hit on the target mech..

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostWolfways, on 17 April 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Twice today i've had idiots run away to hide and shutdown at the start of the match because they "knew we were going to lose" and wanted to protect their KDR so their ELO goes up ^_^
KDR means nothing except you got the last hit on the target mech..

If KDr actually affected Elo, they might have a plan (though it would just mean facing competition ever more outside their league).

Since Elo is based, oddly enough, off W/L, even more fool them.

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 17 April 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Players like this are in violation of our Code of Conduct by refusing to participate in the game and match in the spirit in which it was intended. Please report such players to us at Support

Oh, I do bro! Get tired of the little whingers.

Players like this are in violation of our Code of Conduct by refusing to participate in the game and match in the spirit in which it was intended. Please report such players to us at Support

pssst...
whilst you are here....
http://mwomercs.com/...me-models-back/
who do I have to bribe to fix my pretties?

#3 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

I love having KDR, its a good way to measure my progress in this game.

#4 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

Will do ^_^

#5 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

One thing has been bothering me a bit. If I'm for example running a Jenner in a conquest. We got good lead on caps, I'm cored and I hide and shutdown because I know my team can win with the caps. I'm not participating the match but I secure a win with my "cowardly" actions. Is it violation of the Code of Conduct? IMHO no, because I'm actually winning the match for us, but what is the official stance

#6 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

View Postugrakarma, on 17 April 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

One thing has been bothering me a bit. If I'm for example running a Jenner in a conquest. We got good lead on caps, I'm cored and I hide and shutdown because I know my team can win with the caps. I'm not participating the match but I secure a win with my "cowardly" actions. Is it violation of the Code of Conduct? IMHO no, because I'm actually winning the match for us, but what is the official stance

I had a team last night that let me go fight 4 v1 against a lance that was separate, so then I came back with an arm blown off etc. after they got destroyed. I just walked in to the base and shutdown and left game to go play another mech. If i got reported for that I'd turn around and say everyone who sat back was in violation, so I'd go with you're good.

Edited by shad0w4life, 17 April 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 17 April 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

There's a difference between making a tactical and incidental use of a game mechanic in the heat of the moment, such as the example you provide, and outright consistent abuse of one by shutting down and hiding at the beginning of and throughout a match several times.

Is that PGI's official stance? That you can hide at the end of a match if you participated up to that point? Can someone spell out exactly what is allowed and what is not as many people have different views on the topic and no one is sure exactly where the line is? Or is there no clear line?

EDIT: Since people are quoting me, to be clear, I will go down fighting because I'd rather get the match over with and hopefully get a kill or assist. I was asking because many people are confused on this topic and afaik, PGI has never fully given a clear-cut answer.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 21 April 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#8 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

My KDR does not approve that!

#9 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

what about if for our "cowardly" using ugrakarmas example, players on our team get angry and start giving away your position to the other team if they know where you are?

would that be a violation?

#10 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

#RemovEeloOrMakeItPublic

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 17 April 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Is that PGI's official stance? That you can hide at the end of a match if you participated up to that point? Can someone spell out exactly what is allowed and what is not as many people have different views on the topic and no one is sure exactly where the line is? Or is there no clear line?

I thought it was pretty specific. There was a clear strategy to the last mech shutting down, because they were going to win by caps, regardless. Engaging in battle at that point, could only run the risk of LOSING the match.

Some people are here to shoot stuff up. Some of us are here to do that, but winning is the first priority, not padding our stats. Too many people refuse to make the sacrifice play to secure the win (or even risk their stats, so they just turtle) because of their bloody stats. I've taken the bullet by being the guy to step on cap to stop a cap win even though I knew I was dead meat for doing it.... but because I knew I could delay them long enough for my team to arrive and fight them off for the (possible) win. I don't see many others who will.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 April 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#12 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostEglar, on 17 April 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

#RemovEeloOrMakeItPublic

#Yes#Please#PGI#Eglar

#13 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 17 April 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

I love having KDR, its a good way to measure my progress in this game.

haha kdr is not a measure of your "progress" in the game. the only thing kdr measures is how many killshots you have, and nothing more.

#14 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostDan the Ice Man, on 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

"in the spirit in which it was intended" leaves alot of room for free interpretation. If someone joins a match and shuts down right away, it's fairly obvious.

Though personally I don't actually mind people who shut down to protect their K/D when the battle seems to be hopeless. As long as they have participated in the battle itself.I usually disconnect when that happens, you still get your reward. It's probably the enemy team that feels more awkward, having to sit out the remaining time but that conforms the COD, right?

Edited by Eglar, 17 April 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#15 Unusual Suspect

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 17 April 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

haha kdr is not a measure of your "progress" in the game. the only thing kdr measures is how many killshots you have, and nothing more.

It can be a rough guidepost, in that better players, all other factors being equal, are more likely to get kills. It is correlational rather than causational, but that's not necessarily the worst situation so long as the correlation is pretty good (and averaged over 100+ games, I'd guess the correlation is quite good). A more skilled player in a small subset of games might get fewer kills than a less skilled player (in that the skilled player might be making a sacrificial move, or leave kills for others to clean up to maximize contribution to the team, etc.), but that deficit seems almost certain to be fairly minor, if not nigh-inconsquential, compared to the greater chance for kill shots high skill provides.

Is it the best metric to use? Probably not. Is it a viable metric? Somewhat. As long as you don't follow KDR religiously, but let it develop organically, it can provide a reflection of the progress you've made.

Edited by Unusual Suspect, 17 April 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#16 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostUnusual Suspect, on 17 April 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

It can be a rough guidepost, in that better players, all other factors being equal, are more likely to get kills. It is correlational rather than causational, but that's not necessarily the worst situation so long as the correlation is pretty good (and averaged over 100+ games, I'd guess the correlation is quite good). A more skilled player in a small subset of games might get fewer kills than a less skilled player (in that the skilled player might be making a sacrificial move, or leave kills for others to clean up to maximize contribution to the team, etc.), but that deficit seems almost certain to be fairly minor, if not nigh-inconsquential, compared to the greater chance for kill shots high skill provides.

Is it the best metric to use? Probably not. Is it a viable metric? Somewhat. As long as you don't follow KDR religiously, but let it develop organically, it can provide a reflection of the progress you've made.

it is not viable at all. the only place kdr is a viable stat is in straight up deathmatch games or strictly 1v1 games.

#17 Unusual Suspect

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 17 April 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

it is not viable at all. the only place kdr is a viable stat is in straight up deathmatch games or strictly 1v1 games.

On a case by case basis, KDR is meaningless. Averaged changes over time, however, have statistical significance.

Unless you're seriously contending that the correlation between player skill and KDR is poor? On a graph plotting that data, you wouldn't expect to see a strong trend of low skill with low kdr progressing towards high skill with high kdr? Honestly?

#18 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostUnusual Suspect, on 17 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

On a case by case basis, KDR is meaningless. Averaged changes over time, however, have statistical significance.

Unless you're seriously contending that the correlation between player skill and KDR is poor? On a graph plotting that data, you wouldn't expect to see a strong trend of low skill with low kdr progressing towards high skill with high kdr? Honestly?

in a team game plain old luck is much, much more of a factor than skill to kdr. especially in a team game such as mwo where there is a lot of focused fire.

#19 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Better players have higher KDR's... Because it turns out, that if you're good and you are able to deal precise damage where you want... then you get more kills.

If you have a KDR less than 1, it means you are bad.

#20 Unusual Suspect

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 17 April 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

in a team game plain old luck is much, much more of a factor than skill to kdr. especially in a team game such as mwo where there is a lot of focused fire.

Certainly so. Across 100+ games (bare minimum, I'd say, for an ok average), the factor that skill presents in the equation will show itself in the results, barring overwhelming confounding variables. The whole point of using such an aggregate score averaged out across so many instances is that, so long as higher skill correlates with higher kdr and the pilot is consistent in other areas (the sort of mechs he uses, the sort of weapons he prefers, etc.), the higher skill over time should be matched by a correlated higher kdr.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users