Seriously Folks, What Is Up With The Arm Lock?

Gameplay

229 replies to this topic

#21 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

I would pay 2000 MC to be able to toggle arm lock.

#22 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

I tried it, I didn't like my arms being restricted. I stopped using it.

#23 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Arm lock is implemented poorly such that mouse movements are not processed consistently when it's turned on. IMO the mouse response issue causes new players a lot of unnecessary grief.

The issue is obvious on a 'Mech with no lower arm actuators (e.g. Jenner), since your arms are basically locked all the time anyway. There ought to be no difference in your ability to twist or track a target. But if you play with the arm lock toggle while twisting you'll notice that there's a big difference in how the 'Mech responds to the mouse.

With arm lock engaged, MWO ignores all mouse movement which exceeds your torso twist speed. When arm lock is not engaged then you can move the mouse as quickly as you like and your 'Mech will "catch up" if you move the mouse too fast. Consequently, arm-locked 'Mechs have greater difficulty aiming because the physical distance you must move the mouse is inconsistent depending on how quickly you move it.

Let's say you want to twist your mech 90 degrees to the left. No arm lock? You just need to move your mouse by some fixed amount, say 2 inches. It doesn't matter if you snap the mouse quickly or perform a gradual turn; the viewport moves immediately, the arm crosshair catches up quickly, and the torso crosshair eventually gets there.

But with arm lock engaged, the physical distance you must move the mouse will be greater than 2 inches unless you move the mouse slowly. Your crosshair will not "catch up" to quick mouse movements; in fact the crosshair stops moving completely as soon as your mouse stops moving. The handicap for new players is not just the inability to use additional arm yaw; they must also learn to aim while moving their mouse slowly.

To make matters worse, your torso twist speed varies by chassis, engine size, and pilot efficiencies. So once you've learned the "correct" speed to move your mouse, you'll probably have to learn it all over again when switching to a different mech.

I really, really wish PGI would change the implementation of arm lock so that your crosshair would still "catch up" to fast mouse movements. It's extremely frustrating to drive like that even for brief uses.

Edited by Shlkt, 22 April 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#24 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

So SJR needs exploits and crutches? I don't believe that. Wow. How did you survive in the pre armlock days? (I get in comp 12, where everyone is using every exploit under the sun, you do it to, but seriously, it ain't nothing I'd brag about, lol)

crutch. and teaches bad habits, plain and simple.

I'd personally tend to be a lot more reserved before using a word like "exploit" when it's a setting that is in the game. Exploit should really be a term reserved for things that clearly break intended mechanics, like finding a wall glitch you can shoot through and can't be shot back.

The way it's implemented it's no more an exploit than weapon groups or toggling weapon bay doors.

Crutch is a better term though, that's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Your Atlas pilot was probably just new.

As several friends recently joined the game, I made a point of it to ask if they took arm lock off - they didn't even realize its an option.

I like to brawl a lot so Arm-lock is typically off for me, but it is interesting that it is in the game - as it perhaps does reveal how PGI actually feels about convergence vs. what many players on the forum seem to feel about it.

It's just speculation, but if they had an issue with convergence this would be a pretty easy thing to change to make it not as easy to do.

#25 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

I've been playing for nearly two years.

I don't recall even a single instance where I would have wanted arm lock.

Could be the builds I run, I suppose...

#26 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

The problem is that arm lock is on by default and after a year and a half there still isn't a tutorial worth a d*** in this game to tell new players about it. 90% of them probably don't even know they have it turned on. I've said since the day it was added that Arm Lock was the worst possible idea for new players. It might make the game marginally easier for them but at the expense of them learning anything at all.

That said, I've used in on my Banshees where I have arms but no weapons in them. Makes aiming a little easier. Of course the smart thing would be for PGI to have locked arms in those situations anyway. But that's the only time.

Edited by EyeOne, 22 April 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#27 Jownzee

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

That Boars Head was me! I didn't even know I could switch am lock off tbh wish I'd known before now.

I'll be toggling that off next time I log on though!

Not winning that game for the team, or not knowing about the arm lock doesn't make me a bad player!
I had done plenty in that round to get the team back into it in the first place.

I'll learn from it, and it'll help me in the future!

#28 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Arm Lock is for try hards and new players who get owned. I don't even use ANY of the "alignment" options.

Center to Torso
Center to Legs
Shift to Lock arms to Torso

All of these things work in the most broken of ways, allowing you to increase the speed of twist with the click of a button. Either allowing near instant perfect convergence or greater turning ability.

None of which are needed to win mind you! So keep the easy button, I'll still pinpoint you to death with dexterity! :(

Edited by Amsro, 22 April 2014 - 06:32 AM.

#29 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Has CoD really dumbed people down that much?)

Yes. And other things as well, like TV, video games, and especially internet.

#30 KGB GRU

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

I've tried using both ways but in the end, I use arm lock by default all the time now. I find I make more mistakes without it then I do with it on. You can always disable it on the fly when you need to. Looking at my stats I seem to do just fine so I wouldnt attribute it to a noob way of playing for everyone. Just my 2 cents

#31 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Has CoD really dumbed people down that much?)

HAhaha...so true... PGI is gradually turning the game into people that enjoy CoD ( I used too)...

Pretty soon coming from PGI: MWO COD gametype

Kill Streaks: 3 Kills in a Row = UAV... 5 Kills = Airstrike 7 Kills = Robot War Dogs attack enemy Team for 30 seconds... chewing on their power cables and slowing them down (1/2 move)

Drop Shotting: 100 MC Consumable Module (*you get 1 Prone shot per use)

Tbaging: 100 MC Consumable Module (T-Bag a dead enemy Mech and get a Cool Thank you Email from Paul)

Perk Package Below

Stopping Power : Increase Damage to a weapon...Finally Make Flamers worth it... or Small Lasers..... er... pulse lasers.... anything but Autocannons, PPCs... damn this game needs help...

Scavenger: Rearm/Repair on Battlefield by walking over dead enemy Mechs

Claymores : Camp with Protection and Peace of Mind

C4 : Is that enemy Mech behind a wall or berm? Just toss this Mech Size C4 over them and teach them a lesson

Martyrdom : Make your Fusion Core Explode when you are killed... damaging nearby mechs

Sad thing is.... That game might actually be better than the one we are playing... and thats just plain sad...

Edited by LORD TSARKON, 22 April 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#32 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

I tell every newbie I come across to immediately go into options to disable arm-lock / 3rd person.
It really does pain me when I start spectating only to see that Jenner / Stalker not able to aim down far enough to shoot mechs on the ridge below, and it probably gives them a pretty poor impression of the game to boot

I almost never use it myself, apart from the occasional times I really need to line up my Cataphract 3D's two BS weapons. Most of the time it's super helpful, allowing me to show my shoulder's while still firing with arm mounted lasers and such while running around.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 22 April 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#33 Mahnmut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

As people have already said, using arm lock in certain situations, makes sense. If I have 1 uac in my arms and 1 in my torso using arm lock would ensure the damage is dealt in the same location.

That being said I really wish it wasn't in the game at all. Pin point damage is already a big enough issue so why have a mechanic that just makes it easier?

#34 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

well, not to be a jerk (well, more than usual, lol)...but ya know... L2A? :(

(seriously..... I can't be the only person able to compete in this game without it, right..well me and Kharnzor......)

or is everyone so dialed into the poptart meta that the brawl, where free arm movement is ESSENTIAL is an afterthought? (which is in itself a sad commentary for this game)

You're being a bit of an ass here Bishop. And a noob. Some builds benefit a fair bit from Arm lock (3D, HGN) because their main weapons are seperated by arm and torso hardpoints. Some mechs you have no real reason to use arm lock, other than to make lasers more efficient. Some you want to avoid it like the plague (Stalker, Jenner)

I leave the lock off by default, because you can turn your view faster than with it on, but I'll lock it when I want precise laser fire.
To say someone is a noob because they use a built in feature to make their weapons more efficient...is flawed.

#35 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostJownzee, on 22 April 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

That Boars Head was me! I didn't even know I could switch am lock off tbh wish I'd known before now.

I'll be toggling that off next time I log on though!

Not winning that game for the team, or not knowing about the arm lock doesn't make me a bad player!
I had done plenty in that round to get the team back into it in the first place.

I'll learn from it, and it'll help me in the future!

You live and you learn, your team lost but you have the right attitude - and a solid pair for coming here to admit it.

Good luck to you.

#36 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 April 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

You're being a bit of an ass here Bishop. And a noob. Some builds benefit a fair bit from Arm lock (3D, HGN) because their main weapons are seperated by arm and torso hardpoints. Some mechs you have no real reason to use arm lock, other than to make lasers more efficient. Some you want to avoid it like the plague (Stalker, Jenner)

I leave the lock off by default, because you can turn your view faster than with it on, but I'll lock it when I want precise laser fire.
To say someone is a noob because they use a built in feature to make their weapons more efficient...is flawed.

Shrug. Or you line up the crosshairs with your mouse. PGI put in an easymode button...nothing wrong with Bishop thinking it's crap.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 22 April 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#37 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostKharnZor, on 21 April 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Never used it. Don't intend on using it.
I don't see it as something that's needed in the game at all tbh.

So you don't use it, likely will never use it, and yet do not think the option should be available for others? wowzers... team playa 4 sure...

#38 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 22 April 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

Shrug. Or you line up the crosshairs with your mouse. PGI put in an easymode button...nothing wrong with Bishop thinking it's crap.

That may be true, but calling people noobs while being more effective isn't good logic.

It's in game, like ghost heat and this borked heat system. PGI isn't about to change it. Exploit it until they do.

#39 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

well, not to be a jerk (well, more than usual, lol)...but ya know... L2A? ;)

Which part of ''converged when I need it to be, unlocked when I need it to be" did you find difficult to follow?

Edited by Appogee, 22 April 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#40 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 April 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

That may be true, but calling people noobs while being more effective isn't good logic.

It's in game, like ghost heat and this borked heat system. PGI isn't about to change it. Exploit it until they do.

I don't blame people for using it. I blame PGI for their implementation of it. As Jownzee said, he didn't even know about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users