Need Help With Settings/hardware

29 replies to this topic

#1 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

I've been playing the game quite a while now but I've never managed to get a decent framerate. I'm working with an MSI laptop with some high end hardware in it, but I still average 19FPS. My rig is as follows:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 675MX 4GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHZ 2.40GHZ
32GB Installed RAM
Windows 8.1

It runs just about everything else at the highest settings with great FPS, but with MWO I'm dealing with really choppy even if I overclock.

The only thing I can think of is that my internet connection kinda sucks. I'm a security contractor in the Middlee East, so my pink is usually about 200 (lame). Still, not sure how that would affect the FPS to this degree.

Can anyone think of a way to get MWO looking as good as I know it can?

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

in the game settings are you running dx9 or dx11?

#3 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Running DX9. I've tried DX11 and it's just as bad if not worse most of the time.

#4 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

add to your user.cfg

r_Driver="DX11"
r_postAA=0
r_TXAA=0
r_MSAA=0
r_AntialiasingMode=0

the AA modes in MWO are very system intensive, best not to use them.

#5 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

View PostLordred, on 12 June 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

the AA modes in MWO are very system intensive, best not to use them.

Wat.

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Actually, you do need to install Directx 9c. Vista/7/8 comes with DX 10/11 and a base version of dx9. The issue is that MS does not include all the latest modules for dx 9c, nor are the DX10/11 backward compatible. Even a fresh XP install will require DX 9c installation for those updated modules.

DX 10/11 and DX 9c are located in their own subfolders, they do not overwrite each other. Programs and games are set to locate the necessary files from their respective location.

MWO currently utilizes ONLY dx9c files, thus the need to install dx 9c with either the dxsetup.exe (small file that downloads everything from MS) or the redistribution file (large file but useful if installing on several machines or need to reinstall to replace possible corrupted files).

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

Or

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

You will notice that it supports more than just XP.

Most games that come on a CD/DVD will also have a setup to install the updated modules by using one of the paths. For other games that are download only, they direct you to MS to download (using that site's bandwidth instead of their own) and perform the installation, from a trusted source ( hehe Microsoft..: )

Start with this and let us know how you make out.

Edited by Shamous13, 12 June 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#7 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Alright, I guess it's worth a try. Downloading the 9c installer from microsoft right now and I'll post in a few minutes after I've got the whole thing installed.

#8 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

another thought what are the power settings that you are using?

#9 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

I've got my power settings set to high performance. It's not on power saver mode or anything. Beyond that I don't really know how to micro manage the power settings.

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

http://www.notebookc...or.80051.0.html

Each core offers a base speed of 2.4 GHz but can dynamically increase clock rates with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.3 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.4 GHz (for 1 active core).

Got a "cooling pad" for this thing?

#11 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the help so far. Installed DX9c and turned off AA in the settings. Got a slight bump in FPS but still nothing close to what it should be. Hovering around 25fps now. Better, but not good. Any other ideas?

View PostGoose, on 12 June 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

I don't have a cooling pad for it but I can turn the fans to turbo.

#12 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostGoose, on 12 June 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

If I remember correctly didn't turbo boost cause issues with MWO. their was a post about it a year or so ago.

Edit found some info

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 October 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

For the OP, your CPU throttling up/down. Go into Power Options/Advanced Power settings/High Performance. Then download and use MSI Afterburner to take more control over your fans.

Laptop user. Can of compressed air and blow out the heatsinks. Make sure ya running with AC power plugged in. Also use the above settings/items. Fan control is an even more critical piece in laptops. Now the next thing concerns Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost is like a poor man's Overclocking but in laptops not all the cores can be TB/OC due to power limitations so it ramps up the power/speed on fewer cores until there is only one. This core is the fastest, drawing the power AS WELL as generating heat. Laptops also have more moderate heat thresholds. Sensor crosses heat threshold which then the bios drops the overall CPU speed.

If 99% in the power management isnt enough, drop it to 98%.

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

Edited by Shamous13, 12 June 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#13 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3455127

View PostShamous13, on 12 June 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

If I remember correctly didn't turbo boost cause issues with MWO. their was a post about it a year or so ago.

O_o Never heard that before …

#14 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Try these settings in a custom user.cfg also Turn off the Damage Glow, but you can keep the PostAA.

Spoiler

View PostGoose, on 12 June 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3455127

O_o Never heard that before …

How I read that is it starts to shut down cores to boost 1 core

Edit: fixed cfg settings

Edited by Shamous13, 12 June 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#15 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

It sounds to me like one of these things:

nVidia Optimus is not detecting MWO and the Intel graphics is being used instead of your 675 to play the game.
Before you try messing with your game configs, go into the nVidia settings and specify that MWO should be forced to use the dedicated gpu (your 675). I think you have to set it for the "performance" gpu mode

Update your drivers and have a look here at some info on optimus:
http://www.nvidia.ca...technology.html
http://acer--uk.cust...-nvidia-optimus
http://acer--uk.cust...-nvidia-optimus

OR

You are using any AA mode other than postAA in your MWO settings. Your setup should be able to run this game nicely at high settings in DX11 at least, but AFAIK no system on earth will run smoothly with the other AA settings enabled :D

Your 3rd gen. i7 can turbo boost ALL cores, so don't worry about it. It really sounds to me like it's running on the Intel GPU.

Edited by cSand, 12 June 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#16 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Shamous13 is obviously a wizard, tampering with foul magicks he doth not understand. In the end his hubris will bring about the end of creation, but for now he has merely succeeded in transmuting my MWO game into an entirely different experience. You sir win +120 Internets and a cookie.

Definitely kill the Intel TurboBoost if you're playing MWO. It was an instant, night and day difference. 50FPS and suddenly I can even AIM!!! No longer am I relegated to playing an LRM boat simply because the choppy graphics preclude me from hitting my target.

#17 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

I'm glad it helped. do you have a custom user cfg set up for mwo?

Edit, This may sound weird but give this a try too. have you checked the power settings for your network adapter and other hardware? their was a Microsoft update that changed the settings to power saving mode. it did some wonky stuff to my wife's laptop. Go in to Device manager, Right click on your network adapter, select properties, go to power management tab, and turn off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". also check all of the settings for your other hardware ie graph card . The power settings have fixed a few different problems. good old Microsoft strikes again. :D

Edited by Shamous13, 12 June 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#18 BossFearless

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

I do not. Should I?

#19 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

yes definatly :D

Lets start out with the following. turning off the cockpit glass is an instant 5+fps gain. turning off the grain makes things look better cl_fov is the variable for your feild of view play with it. each time you edit the file you need to restart mwo.

cl_fov = 85
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
r_DepthOfField=1
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

The following configuration variables have been exposed for tuning in your user.cfg file. To add these to your user.cfg file navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online (or your custom installation location) and if it doesn't exist, create a file user.cfg containing these settings as desired. Don't forget to set the value desired.

- gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0/1 (off/on)
- r_DepthOfField=0/1 (off/on)
- r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0-1.0 (film grain amount)

View Post9erRed, on 01 June 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

Greetings all,

As the poster has recommended, use the created folder user.cfg.

Any update or patch will overwrite the changed or added element within systemoverride, and you'll be back to doing this again.

The newest values for the FOV are between 40 to 90 with the default at 75. 40 being really close to the window.

~ Below I've listed 3 of the most used settings for the cfg file.

- Anything with a ; in front is for reader/user notes only
- Be advised that disabling the HDR value (filmgrain) may push your system somewhat. With 0.0 being off.
- The cockpit glass setting is for the dirt and scratch's removal. 0 being turned off
- The value I've placed in FOV is what I use, but I run 3 monitors, so I get an all windows view
So the 3 most used items for the file user.cfg are now:

;Field of View inside Cockpit 40-90 (Default:75)
cl_fov = 50
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass = 0
r_HDRGrainAmount = 0.0

[don't forget the spaces on both sides of the = element]

9erRed

Edited by Shamous13, 12 June 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#20 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

also run the repair tool. prior to running the game. in the options select "delete shader cashe"

View PostDeathlike, on 12 June 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

It seems to work for me...

However, you probably want this specific build because of the PTS being operational:
http://patcher.mwome...ORepairTool.exe

Edit - Reference to "most recent build":
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3400980

Edit: this link is for the most current version by Krist Smith

Edited by Shamous13, 12 June 2014 - 08:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users