Nova: An Useless Mech?

349 replies to this topic

#81 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Im really liking the Nova, my S is used to take on Assaults, Mediums and Heavies and kills them quite nicely.
I try not to take on other lights.

#82 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

So far Im not a fan of the Nova either I tend to agree with the OP its not fast enough for its intended purpose. Super low slung arms seem to bother me more on the Nova than some other clan mechs (like somehow I do better in Adders, no idea why). In general I just seem to get absolutely gangraped all the time because as far as smaller mechs go its a higher priority target and its limbs seem super easy to blow off AND its CT is easy to hit. Im trying to learn to shift my game to be les aggressive but until I learn that and its second nature the Nova probably isn't the mech for me.....a shame cause it looks SO damn cool.
I guess the face-melting potential it has is too much of a temptation for me and I get myself in very untenable situations with it.

Before they curb-stomped CERLL I had 3 erll,2 MG, mk 2 target computer and tha was fun as far as non-standard Nova builds go. I would like to upvote QKI's build a few post up, THAT seems like an interesting build. I have one that's similar to that that uses a clan UAC/5 and 5 er mediums. Another fun build is 4 er mediums and 2 LBX-2s. Only problem is the hit detection on lbx-2s and UAC/2s is pretty crappy right now.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 30 August 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#83 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 30 August 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

it looks SO damn cool.

It's the best looking clan mech to me

#84 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

Imo worst clan mech,though I didn't tried neither Adder nor Summoner.

The problem with Nova is lack of endosteel/ferro fibrous meanwhile having 4 hardwired heatsinks and 5 jump jets,which restricts available tonnage even further.
But the real weakness of that mech is location of hardpoints in arms.They are so insanely low they beat even Cataphract's ones,and prevents you from taking advantage of higher position or while poptarting.Those located in side torsos are low too.
Another one weakness are hitboxes.Nova is wide like wardobe,and it's easily hit in CT.Arms when looking at them from side don't cover CT/ST like Stormcrow's ones,making defensive twisting less potent.In short,Nova among mediums is kind of Awesome among assaults.

The only somewhat successful role on battlefield with Nova is bigger Ember - 6xER ML 4xMG,hide deep in cover even half of a match then finish off wounded enemies,and stay close with heavies/assaults.

#85 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostMasterBLB, on 31 August 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

Imo worst clan mech,though I didn't tried neither Adder nor Summoner.

The problem with Nova is lack of endosteel/ferro fibrous meanwhile having 4 hardwired heatsinks and 5 jump jets,which restricts available tonnage even further.
But the real weakness of that mech is location of hardpoints in arms.They are so insanely low they beat even Cataphract's ones,and prevents you from taking advantage of higher position or while poptarting.Those located in side torsos are low too.
Another one weakness are hitboxes.Nova is wide like wardobe,and it's easily hit in CT.Arms when looking at them from side don't cover CT/ST like Stormcrow's ones,making defensive twisting less potent.In short,Nova among mediums is kind of Awesome among assaults.

The only somewhat successful role on battlefield with Nova is bigger Ember - 6xER ML 4xMG,hide deep in cover even half of a match then finish off wounded enemies,and stay close with heavies/assaults.

I think the Nova is more the hunchbacks cousin.

It is wide and low, ridgehumping is not its game.

Corner-peeking...thats its game.
The stock HS/jj and lack of endo dont bother me much, Clans are supposed to be less customizable than IS but more modular.
Nova is a laser boat...thats about it. Its a one trick pony but a good one trick. Huge alpha at decent range, but you have to juggle the heat.

#86 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 01 September 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I think the Nova is more the hunchbacks cousin.

It is wide and low, ridgehumping is not its game.

Corner-peeking...thats its game.
The stock HS/jj and lack of endo dont bother me much, Clans are supposed to be less customizable than IS but more modular.
Nova is a laser boat...thats about it. Its a one trick pony but a good one trick. Huge alpha at decent range, but you have to juggle the heat.

low? the whole nova is huge in size for a medium, it looks low because its so wide, but its damn big. the differenc eis, 7 tons free space more for the stormcrow, while even slots aren't an issue for the stormcrow + higher weapon hardpoints. And except for the Nova prime, which offers up to 12 Energy hardpoints, ther eis nothing the Stormcrow can not do. because the stormcrow can also boat 7 Energy hardpoints and can mount them in Torso so that lost arms aren't a big deal.
There is by pure mechanics only JJ's which are a pro for the Nova, and more Energyhardpoints for a prime variant. But anythign else says SC is a better choice.

SC can mount more weapon variety, SC can go faster (another 7tons more "hidden" in a better engine) SC has better hitboxes, higher arms, still enough slots, SC is just the better nova unless you want to mount more than 7 lasers. And thats the next issue, you can only mount medium and below lasers on the nova.

The only nova I managed to stuff "full" was a tc7 12xCERSML nova, but this is a borderline niche short range mech which is hardly a reason to choose the Nova. 12 CERML means lots of free slots.

Nova would be interesting with ES structure because it would close a bit of the gap of superiority the SC has.

and modularity?

what modularity? you can boat only energy wepaons on the nova and MG's. Any other stuff isn't viable or not boating anymore, because AC's start at 5t of weight, meaning big AC's are not really working (lack of overall dps) or total lack of ammo. with 3 or 5 tons more available, the nova could be a much nicer mech able to change loadouts for different purposes. But so its gameplaywise extremely inferior to the SC.

Yes you can still paly the mech good and working, but in any other mech, you would be able to do so much more. So balance wise, this mech is far behind in the clanners field, together with the summoner, which has nearly the same problem compared to the TW. But at least Summoner has more wepaon diversity available because it has a lot of various hardpoints to choose from.

Too bad config U has a 3059 tech laser, ECM would be an interestign option for the mech to give it an alternate opportunatey to the SC.

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 September 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#87 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 03 September 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

low? the whole nova is huge in size for a medium, it looks low because its so wide, but its damn big. the differenc eis, 7 tons free space more for the stormcrow, while even slots aren't an issue for the stormcrow + higher weapon hardpoints. And except for the Nova prime, which offers up to 12 Energy hardpoints, ther eis nothing the Stormcrow can not do. because the stormcrow can also boat 7 Energy hardpoints and can mount them in Torso so that lost arms aren't a big deal.
There is by pure mechanics only JJ's which are a pro for the Nova, and more Energyhardpoints for a prime variant. But anythign else says SC is a better choice.

SC can mount more weapon variety, SC can go faster (another 7tons more "hidden" in a better engine) SC has better hitboxes, higher arms, still enough slots, SC is just the better nova unless you want to mount more than 7 lasers. And thats the next issue, you can only mount medium and below lasers on the nova.

The only nova I managed to stuff "full" was a tc7 12xCERSML nova, but this is a borderline niche short range mech which is hardly a reason to choose the Nova. 12 CERML means lots of free slots.

Nova would be interesting with ES structure because it would close a bit of the gap of superiority the SC has.

and modularity?

what modularity? you can boat only energy wepaons on the nova and MG's. Any other stuff isn't viable or not boating anymore, because AC's start at 5t of weight, meaning big AC's are not really working (lack of overall dps) or total lack of ammo. with 3 or 5 tons more available, the nova could be a much nicer mech able to change loadouts for different purposes. But so its gameplaywise extremely inferior to the SC.

Yes you can still paly the mech good and working, but in any other mech, you would be able to do so much more. So balance wise, this mech is far behind in the clanners field, together with the summoner, which has nearly the same problem compared to the TW. But at least Summoner has more wepaon diversity available because it has a lot of various hardpoints to choose from.

Too bad config U has a 3059 tech laser, ECM would be an interestign option for the mech to give it an alternate opportunatey to the SC.

When did i say the Nova was better than a Stormcrow?

I was just comparing it to the HBK P. A laser boat. I tried the trial and its 'fun'. Ill buy a C-bill Nova. SC wont come out until later.

#88 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

What would really help bring the Nova some love would have been the Nova D (If I have the correct one). This would open up missile hardpoints, which could compliment the energy aspects of the mech.

Personally, I've been finding the Nova Prime (trial) to be a very nice mech, depending upon how you field it. It isn't a straight up "melt them" mech, as if you use it too bluntly, you are the one likely to melt yourself first. I requires a lot of skill to use a Nova Prime well, and a lot of fire control and heat management.

Can't say anything about the Ryoken as of yet... as I haven't exactly been able to do much (besides a few matches on the test server) with it. And, to be honest, I found I had better results with the Puma and Nova than I did with the Ryoken. (AKA: To each their own?)

#89 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

Honestly... I'm loving my Nova's...

Nova Prime had quickly been switched to 12xc-ERSL's to start with... fun combo... started looking at other builds and gave my Nova-S a shot with it's 6xc-ERML + 4xMG's... that is now my loadout on all my Nova's... while, just like other Mechs, you have drops where you just don't do anything or get jumped early on... my Nova's have the best stats out of any of my Mechs I own...

Don't have the video uploaded yet, but managed a drop on August 24th... did 890 damage in my S... an all time high damage battle for me personally...

Vid here... both arms taken out and still manage 2 late battle kills with just the MG's... and the last one I just said "The heck with it..." and went in with MG's blazing... how I managed to survive is beyond me... lol...

#90 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

and modularity?

How about Jump Jet up onto a building? Don't see the Stormcrow doing that do you?

Trying to compare the SCR and the NVA is silly, they are different mechs made to do different things also saying the NVA is the worse clan mech shows me you either one have not played the adder (lol, i like them but most do not) or two dont know what you are talking about.

They are not as fast as the Stormcrows or Adders and are not gonna fill the same role that other faster more diverse mechs can. Its not going to get FF or Endo and that is fine. I dont want VANILLA warrior where all mechs are the same, can do the same jobs and just cosmetically are different. Nova is laser boat and does a damn good job at it too!

Also, why cant you put ER Large Lasers or Pulse Lasers or a Nova? Because my Prime does it just fine also see the occasional PPC and 4 ER or 3 Pulse Build.

Edited by DarthRevis, 03 September 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#91 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 03 September 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

I dont want VANILLA warrior...

Technically, isn't Vanilla described as "having no alterations"? So, we all play "Chocolate Warrior" or "Strawberry Warrior"... (Except for us crazy Stock Mech pilots. We play VANILLA WARRIOR! The flavor everything was meant to be in! Right? ;) )

#92 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Everyone has their own play style and opinions. Me personally, my nova is one of my favorite mechs. I have had had numerous games with more the 900 damage (and some less than 100, I know, I'm streakish). I think the nova is a lot of fun.

#93 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostTesunie, on 03 September 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

Technically, isn't Vanilla described as "having no alterations"? So, we all play "Chocolate Warrior" or "Strawberry Warrior"... (Except for us crazy Stock Mech pilots. We play VANILLA WARRIOR! The flavor everything was meant to be in! Right? ;) )

That is not how I was choosing to use "Vanilla" no alterations would be no customizable mechs period. I'm saying I dont want everyone at the party to only have Vanilla ice cream.... Chocolate sucks but to each his own.

I do like Strawberry though..... :P

Vanilla as in everyone has similar loadouts or no real deviation from the norm..... Bland A mech vs Bland B mech. The only difference is in the packaging.

#94 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 03 September 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

That is not how I was choosing to use "Vanilla" no alterations would be no customizable mechs period. I'm saying I dont want everyone at the party to only have Vanilla ice cream.... Chocolate sucks but to each his own.

I do like Strawberry though..... :P

Vanilla as in everyone has similar loadouts or no real deviation from the norm..... Bland A mech vs Bland B mech. The only difference is in the packaging.

Ah, but when there are so many toppings for everyone to choose from, Vanilla is the ONLY way to go! No toppings for me please. Just straight out of the packaging for my mechs! (I'm teasing with you a bit here, though I do truthfully play stock mechs...)

Wouldn't the term you are looking for be "cookie cutter"? Everyone's using the same cookie cutter mold to try and create their mechs... (Still being a wise butt here. Don't mind me. :ph34r: )

Talking about all this sweet food is making me hungry...

Edited by Tesunie, 03 September 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#95 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

i'm wating to see how the new nerfs change the nova's effectiveness...

#96 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

I´m ok with the Nova, I use 10 ML and 4 MG. This is a hit and run mech. Its supposed to overheat. You dash out of cover deliver insane damage, and then duck back into cover. You cant slug it out in the open. Well you can, but you need to switch to chain fire so you can control the heat output but steadily pouring out ML fire.

In the right hands it is devastating and versatile enoughto pug zap and hunt Fatlases too. Its just fragile!

I like the 4xMGs because they 1) sound cool 2) provide a psicological distraction 3) get crits very fast and 4) gives you something to do if you are caught in a toe to toe and need to cool off...

Still prefer my Direwolf though!

#97 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

It will be if PGI goes through with its NERF plan on 5 Sep.

#98 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

the Nova is a good - but not great - solid mech. i'l take it every time over the Summoner though - now THATS a horrible mech

unfortunately for me i can't trust myself with the stock Prime since i happen to have a habit of triggering a full alpha when i get a perfect shot - which never ends well for me as well as the target lol. best loadout for *me* is 7 ERMLas

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b936dd7d2ffe6a6

so i get just a little ghost heat on an alpha, but not a stupid amount. plus since there's so much room i fill up on DHS and can get a decent amount of volleys in before i have to pull back to cool down. the torso mount is GOLD when you lose your arms on occasion

#99 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Quick question though, what are the thoughts for the Nova's future after the potential changes after this fridays patch?
If the PTS was the mold, the ErSl and ErMed get one heat more and -50m range.
I tested it on the PTS with 5 ErMed and 5 ErSl and it was not much of a change , but 6 and 6 really heated up the mech.
Wounder if they will reduce the heat and range penalty by bit or just do what the PTS did....

#100 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

View Postdragnier1, on 30 August 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

It's the best looking clan mech to me

Yup.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users