349 replies to this topic

#41 Stunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Does it explode if you do an Alpha like previous MechWarrior titles?

#42 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostAnavel Gato2, on 20 June 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

For me the Nova seems an useless mech.

This one time in band camp.. ..a nova alpha'd my Madcat.. ..armor stripped and yellow torso. Perfect example of what this mech is capable of.

#43 Pekiti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostStunner, on 23 June 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

I have in fact seen one fire an alpha strike at spawn in, laugh about overheating and override it, then alpha again and blow up. I do not know if it was the stock 'every laser left in the armory' build though.

#44 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

If you haven't noticed yet, most "stock" mechs were designed to "run together". This is why some lights and meduim mechs "appear" slow to MWO standards.However, this shouldn't be a problem in a teamwork oriented game. You move as fast as a Thor and Madcat? Well then, do what lore would advise (and team tactics) and stick with your fellow same speed teammates. (Heck, stick with your teammates in general, and protect your slower mechs. It's bad for the team (and no fun for the pilot) when a mech gets mobbed to death because "he was too slow" and everyone else ditched him and ran off on him. (Situation dependent.)

In this case, the Blackhawk was designed to move within a formation. Same with the Puma and Uller. They all run "slow" for their weight class (once more, by MWO meta standards), usually for a purpose. Use this built in "advantage" of your mechs and travel together whenever possible. The Ryoken can scout for short distances ahead, with is slightly increased speed. It fills this role in, to run as vanguard to the main force.

A lot of this is all in how the mechs are used. Any mech can be deadly, if it's used correctly for it's designed purpose (and depending upon the pilots personal skills and play style).

#45 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostStunner, on 23 June 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Pretty damn close. Alpha and you are shut down for the better part of a minute, but if you had fresh internals you'll survive.

#46 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

I only recently picked up the nova, and so far i'm loving it.

uac5 with 2 tons of ammo, 4 ERML and 4MG is tons of fun to play, and very effective at melting faces.

#47 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostViken, on 20 June 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

I was watching the NGNG Twitch stream last night, and one of the pilots had a 12 Small Laser (ER Small Laser, because Clan tech) and 4 Machine Gun build. He could Alpha without overheating, had a lot of Heat Sinks, so he could Alpha once every 5-7 seconds, and after Alpha, he was waiting about 3-4 seconds and could fire an arm again. On top of this, the MGs are heat free. Also, by NOT using Medium Lasers, he drew less player agro, because everyone thinks "lol small lasers" completely forgetting that he still had a 5 dmg x 12 lasers = 60 damage alpha @ 180m range.

His play was devastating. That Nova build makes me want to think about getting it, to be perfectly honest.

either you use it like this, or you can Volley it.
Look at it

20DHS with maxed skills are
Cooling Rate : 3.91 heat/sec
Heat Threshold : 76.8

meaning you can Volley like crazy if you prevent ghost heat to trigger. these are 7 or even 8 volleys, before you reach your heat cap.
The only things to manage is staying hidden, Becaue you need to get very close and also the Armor of the Nova is more like a light mech ones. the current FLD builds can 2 Volleys you, which they also can with lights. And Torso twist hardly works with the nova since your CT is hitable even past the 90° Turn angle. So someone with good aim can still hit you deadly in such a position easily.

#48 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

Wait for some sort of class or tonnage balancing to come before you make a judgement.

#49 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Just don't run into the open during the beginning of the match. Great for dealing with stragglers.
IMO it takes a beating. Have to keep it mid pack but near the end of a match you can take some chances. Upped the front armor in exchange for rear. Running a CUAC5 with a couple tons of ammo, CERmL and an CERPPC. Also ran it in various laser boat configs but I kept coming back to the CUAC5, CmL and CERPPC
Often over 400 damage.

The way these C mechs drive makes me want more of them.

#50 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

Shame that PGI is releasing a single IS mech and two Clan mechs every month, they could tap into the hunger many of us have and sneak in other Clan mechs, such as the Mad Dog and Hellbringer. Imagine the cries of the fanboys getting their hands on one of those.

As it stands towards the Nova, I find it amusingly survivable. As in, I come out of matches with an arm and a leg missing but still alive. Don't ask me how or why, but somehow, in two different games where I was legged with a missing arm, my team won and I was still alive. Out of ammo for any ballistics (still haven't used the Prime, damn RNG keeps throwing me back into my Hunchbacks & the NVA-S), but alive. It's funny to watch light mechs ignore the critically damaged mech still throwing firepower equal to a Death's Knell around as they focus on larger mechs instead.

#51 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 24 June 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Shame that PGI is releasing a single IS mech and two Clan mechs every month, they could tap into the hunger many of us have and sneak in other Clan mechs, such as the Mad Dog and Hellbringer. Imagine the cries of the fanboys getting their hands on one of those.

Firemoth Firemoth Firemoth...

#52 Kaio Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

8 small lasers 4 mg 3 tons of ammo target comp iv max armor rest dhs if u overheat that in tourmaline you did something wrong and thats a alpha all day build

#53 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

I am just starting on my Nova's, and I have had a lot of success with a 2xERLL, 10xERSL, 4xMG version. I like the a ERLLs on the same arm, and up close it will year down an AC40 jager. I put the ERLL on because this chassis has a short lifespan in close quarters, so I like to have fallback support weapons. In short I like to make the enemy close then regret it.

#54 orialchum

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

I'm really enjoying my Nova-S. I run it with 4 Medium Lasers in each arm, and dual AMS. It's great at supporting larger mechs and excels as weaving in brawls where there are larger targets.

#55 RushOutlaw

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

The Nova is my new favourite mech, taking over from my Firebrand AC40 & 4ML.

12ERSL & 4MG 2T Ammo.

Max Armour.

Great for jumping around and punching holes in mechs.

The poor range means i have to get into brawls but when i do, i can take on anything 1vs1.

It's fun to jump jet up over things and alpha and cool down back behind cover.

#56 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostRushOutlaw, on 27 June 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

The Nova is my new favourite mech, taking over from my Firebrand AC40 & 4ML.

12ERSL & 4MG 2T Ammo.

Max Armour.

Great for jumping around and punching holes in mechs.

The poor range means i have to get into brawls but when i do, i can take on anything 1vs1.

It's fun to jump jet up over things and alpha and cool down back behind cover.

this is pretty much what I run just without the MGs and a ML in the RT and more DHS. Get behind anything and they are done if your aim is good enough to core their CT. the single ML least gives you that random 450-900m annoyance.

only thing I can't kill is spiders....because even though you 12SL them, multiple times, they just keep on running....every time.

#57 Jacon Ceronia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUTAH

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

LOVE the Nova.

Currently running the B configured as an A.

#58 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

IDK, this thread seems like a joke to me.

#59 Anvil Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationShionoha SF Bay Area

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 27 June 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

IDK, this thread seems like a joke to me.

To me the Nova fights much like a Dragon. As such I can see the love/hate camps on this one. It is not a well rounded mech. Lots of firepower without matching armor in a moving billboard that just screams shoot me. Not for everyone and not a forgiving mech.

Edited by Anvil Dragon, 29 June 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#60 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:31 AM

Are you insane OP.
The nova I run is my biggest killer. 12 sml and an ac2 and I eat legs left right and center.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users