Why can't this be on Mac

92 replies to this topic

#81 Beaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationPreston, UK

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostIshtar, on 20 June 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

They did some minor work back the 70s but didn't break out till the 90s. So you didn't get a

ERROR!

They made 8088 and 8086 CPUs a secondary supplier for IBM in the early 80s, then later with the 80286 chips. They they designed their own version of the 386 because Intel refused to allow them the tech specs.

Right now AMD and Intel are at par, since AMD lost some rep with their processors over heating, especially n the HP laptops from the 2003-2006.

The CPUs did get a little warm, but no worse than the "Pentium 4 Mobile", in fact massively cooler. The P-M was a killer chip in the laptops back then though, the 2.0Ghz Dothan could smoke a 2.8 P4. The real problem with the overheating HPs was the nVidia GPU, I know this, I had one, and I claimed under the warranty.

#82 Tymanthius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostNoth, on 20 June 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

There are backdoors in the MacOs and some of the native programs that Apple just chooses to ignore (unless they have finally closed them which I don't think they have). They are hacked the fastest out of the 3 big operating systems.

I can't speak to that, as I haven't read any reliable reports on it. But then, I don't keep up on Macs much b/c I don't really care. Please note that it's not that I don't believe you, I"m just a person who likes sources cited. :)

#83 Vach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostIshtar, on 20 June 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

This is a good way test the maturity levels on this forums, by reading the remarks from this thread.

I use both MAC and PC, PC is is basically used for gaming but I use the MAC for my financial security, and other task that I need to trust that that is secured.

I never had my World of Warcraft/Diablo 3 account hacked while playing on my MAC. When ever blizzard decided to release info on their so called Titan MMO that's supposed to be Halo, you can almost guarantee its gonna be playable on the MAC.

The ignorance level here is = epic win

#84 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostScientificMethod, on 20 June 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

All fanboy arguments aside, how does a mac user defend spending so much more on their computers? All other variables controlled for, the mac will still be considerably more pricy. Why? (Other than Steve Jobs could get away with it)

Well, boys and girls, there are more important applications than games, believe it or not.

Is Mac hardware overpriced? Yes, but some of us need an OS that . . .

A) is robust and goes through a stable development cycle, which is not Windows;

B ) can do more than one thing at once, which is also not Windows (what did Microsoft tell you? You should ask an actual software engineer or information scientist);

C) actually works when doing "mission-critical" stuff like color correction for publication, for example;

D) is not a virus magnet.

While there have been professional applications I have found, particularly in publishing, that utilize Mac desktop machines well, I'd never get one of those for myself. If I have a desktop, it's going to be a gaming machine; an iMac is awfully pricey for what I need.

My everyday professional machine is a laptop; for this, I would never use a Windows-based machine: PC laptops are sad, embarrassing pieces of unreliable plastic cheese, and no one could spend 5 minutes on one after having used a MacBook; (yes, I know: someone will chime in with their $3000 Alienware laptop and say I'm "wrong," without seeing the irony).

I used PCs exclusively from 1985 until 2008, then I switched to Mac; this switch corresponded to my growing need for a laptop. My work got easier (much easier), my mobile computing problems disappeared, and I'd never go back, ever. Those who imagine that Macs are just ostentatious PCs that simply don't play games are either not doing serious work on their laptop, are envious, or are so massively confused about computers that they don't know or cannot tell the difference.

All of that being said, (in stark opposition to the frankly lugubrious back-slapping going on here), playing games on a Bootcamped MacBook is less than ideal and comes with its own set of problems (some of which are the result of the many issues Windows has generally---should I really have to set my PCI latency timing manually?---and some of which have to do with the immense amount of heat that the MacBook can generate when gaming).

So, you can try Bootcamping: it might work OK; it might not, but it's better (and less of a headache) to build a dedicated gaming rig: I've come up with something decent for around $650 (Phenom II 965; Radeon 6850; 8GB RAM; 128GB SSD) that I think will do OK with this and other games.

I've been struggling running games since 2008, with varied success; I'm not convinced that the intense pressure games can put on your hardware is particularly good for your laptop, ultimately, and I completely understand why a developer wouldn't port to OS X.

Just my $.02: good luck OP.

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 20 June 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#85 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Posted Image

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 20 June 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Well, boys and girls, there are more important applications than games, believe it or not.

Is Mac hardware overpriced? Yes, but some of us need an OS that . . .

A) is robust and goes through a stable development cycle, which is not Windows;

B ) can do more than one thing at once, which is also not Windows (what did Microsoft tell you? You should ask an actual software engineer or information scientist);

C) actually works when doing "mission-critical" stuff like color correction for publication, for example;

D) is not a virus magnet.

While there have been professional applications I have found, particularly in publishing, that utilize Mac desktop machines well, I'd never get one of those for myself. If I have a desktop, it's going to be a gaming machine; an iMac is awfully pricey for what I need.

My everyday professional machine is a laptop; for this, I would never use a Windows-based machine: PC laptops are sad, embarrassing pieces of unreliable plastic cheese, and no one could spend 5 minutes on one after having used a MacBook; (yes, I know: someone will chime in with their $3000 Alienware laptop and say I'm "wrong," without seeing the irony).

I used PCs exclusively from 1985 until 2008, then I switched to Mac; this switch corresponded to my growing need for a laptop. My work got easier (much easier), my mobile computing problems disappeared, and I'd never go back, ever. Those who imagine that Macs are just ostentatious PCs that simply don't play games are either not doing serious work on their laptop, are envious, or are so massively confused about computers that they don't know or cannot tell the difference.

Just my $.02: good luck OP.

I don't want to sounded like a PC fanboi, but everytime I heard 'Mac does better things than a PC could do', I was :)

well you know what? I'm a graphic designer and PC seems alright to accommodate my need. don't need to jump into mac bandwagon and cliam 'this better than PC!!'

and for virus magnet.... if you're not a total noob that clicks 'you're the 100000th visitor!!', or click the link that your friends message you 'OMG FOUND THIS THING LOL' or shut your antivirus down when scanning USB, you'll be fine from scam, virus and such.

Edited by Dataman, 20 June 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#86 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

There are plenty of holes in OS X. It doesn't become much of an issue because:
  • Most things outside of the kernel is open sourced and so it gets found and fixed generally quickly
  • OS X is CONSIDERABLY more fascist about OS updates and nagging the crud out of people to do it
  • People who own Intel Macs are more prone to keeping up with the jonses and upgrading their OS as it comes out, which is a lot easier to do when you control the platform
  • It's just not worth the effort to write botnets and such for 10% of the install base.
There's a certain group of people who are prone to clicking "Yes" when they shouldn't and/or believe everything they read on the internet, who are the target of most malware. These people generally didn't own macs. This is changing some though, so I've been looking forward to a future of divine retribution.

Back on topic, to re-iterrate. You can use a Mac to play MWO perfectly fine. You will need to install Windows. This will require bootcamp. You can dual boot if you want and keep OS X around. You will not be able to use a virtual machine (like parallels), at least if you want to do something other than be a punching bag.

If you can afford a Mac, you can afford a copy of Windows.

#87 PowerKill Necron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 318 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

You want to run Pagemaker, get a Mac... Play games, I am afraid that requires a PC.

#88 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

There's ways around it, but the answer is it would take too much time and resources to develop a game on OS AND Windows. When the majority of gaming is done on a PC (Windows). So sorry you spend x3-4 more on a mac than a better PC, if you want to game buy a PC, or find a work around to use Windows on your mac.

Then again.... whats the point in using Windows on your mac? I thought the point was OS was "better"

#89 Zarax

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Apple makes machines with decent to good hardware, very appealing looks and a few pretty cool apps on the base OS.
They are more refined than MSFT on some software but today that's basically it.

That said, the only solution for gaming on such machines is to boot camp and pray.

Fun facts:
- In 1997 Apple was on the brink of default, only to be saved by Bill Gates who bought 7% of Apple shares
[IMG][url="http://inkerro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jobs_macworld_1997.jpg"]http://inkerro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jobs_macworld_1997.jpg[/url][/IMG]

- Mac OS X is pretty much a BSD distro dressed up with a fancy UI and some customization. While reliable (although Apple security policies are pretty lax), it basically means that there is very little original inside the software.

- Macintosh computers are "safe" by low ROI for crackers. Who would want to waste his time to write a virus for a minority machine? However, recently somebody did bother with it, resulting in at least 600000 macs infected, with 247 of them in Cupertino itself
http://www.extremete...em-in-cupertino

Careful on stating them to Apple users though, most of them will go into fanboy mode and some are so bought into it that Scientology followers would blush.
Such is the strength of marketing, something Jobbs was legendary at. By basically applying fashion world logics into tech he reached the holy marketing grail of premium price and extremely loyal customers... For now.

#90 FrozenWaltDisney

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 20 June 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Lots of stuff

Just put out there that my background is an Apple Certified Mechanical Technician, with another in Support Professional.

A) Robust Development schedule? Look how many months... yes months that Lion has been out. IMO there is a reason why a company would ditch an OS rather then just patching or updating it in less then a year.

:) Seriously... making a general claim like that is a very big mistake. My system can do 12 games of EVE at Maximum graphics, Mac OS has to have a separate game installation for each instance, and still will not run more then 8, even on the Mac Pros. Its just not made in the backend architecture to run multiple instances of the same program. However, this is a limited application. I will say thought, that as a technician the number 1 complaint is a slow operating system, Mac or PC.

C) Mac products have great potential for creative design and workflow, and does indeed go faster in that respect. That being said their IPS panels and color contrast that is capable on the screen is completely horrible for printing. Not that its better on a PC in most cases, but to say that Macs are just better all around for the majority of cases is just not something that I would endorse. (I have Degrees in ATA and AFA and can site references if you like)

D) I could definitely agree with you that there aren't viruses on a mac. But remember the definition of a virus. Its not self propagating on a mac because of the sandbox architecture. But as any IT professional will tell you, any computer on the internet, is not secure.

I will say after using, selling, and working on macs for the last 5 years in professional applications such as graphic design, and technical applications such as being a ACMT.... I still own more PCs then Macs. And this is a PREFERENCE. There is no Mac on the market that will even come close to touching my Desktop, or my Laptop (which is huge, I am not gonna play that down). And this I can all prove on multiple Benchmarks. Including SSDs and OS operations.

In general, use what your comfortable with. I love dinking around with PCs which is why I have them. If you want things to run, maybe not the "best" in terms of benchmarks, but are more stable (because of drivers), then go Mac.

I will be happy to provide sources, benchmarks, or whatever you wish. I have every Mac machine available to me, but I only have a few PCs, so take it easy on the mass comparisons of the multitudes of PC specs available.

#91 Natedog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostParhar97, on 20 June 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

I am on a mac and really wanting to play this game. But its not on mac.

If you are running an Intel processor you can dual boot Win7 or run a virtual environment for Win7. I'm a sales manager for a large box retailer and I am still befuddled when I see some kid return his copy of Skyrim because he thought it would work on his Mac. Guess that hipster peer pressure didn't work out for ya, did it?

#92 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hey FrozenWalt: It's cool you're a Apple mechanic. If we're pulling out credentials, I'm an information scientist, a professor, and an editor of academic publications; I've done metadata and color-correction for an award-winning critical edition of copperplate prints, which I'm not going to name, but which is what convinced me to switch to Mac.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, mate, in mentioning this, and you know I could be making it up: it is the internet, but I just want you to know where I'm coming from.

My primary source for the superiority of the Mac OS has over 200 peer-reviewed articles in Information Science, and is a full professor at---and the dean of---one of the top Information Science PhD programs in the world. That fact does not in any way invalidate your opinion. I'm just putting it our there so that you don't think I'm pulling this one out of the air. I'm less an expert than he is, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm less an expert than you, from the look of things.

I agree that you can build a good PC for publishing if you spend Mac-like prices; I agree that your PC will be great if you have an IT degree (like you), and I think you have a valid argument and you support your opinion well.

I happen to have a different opinion, and I'm cool with that: I might want to tap you for some advice in the future, however, especially for building a cheap (I am not a full professor) gaming rig.

I added you as a friend: I hope that's alright with you <_<

Cheers.

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 20 June 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#93 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

We stated Day 1 that this was a PC exclusive title and that we had no intentions of moving it to other platforms.

CryENGINE 3 relies heavily on DirectX which does not run on a Mac. Yes, there's the dual boot option but we will not be supporting MWO running on a Windows partition on a Mac. If you choose to run the game like that, it's completely up to you but we will not be actively supporting those who do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users