44 replies to this topic

#41 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

View PostMuir, on 08 July 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Also every once in awhile a 5yr old grabs the controls and goes haywire. This happened over the weekend - My daughter wanted to play so off she went and she wouldnt let me help. Once some of the teamates found out, most were pretty cool about it. Kudos to them.

Life sometimes gets in the way for better or worse.

i thought you were going to say she took out 7 enemy mechs by herself and got 1k damage. 3-7 year olds seem to be the most OP players in the game. :)

#42 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostTanar, on 22 July 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

i thought you were going to say she took out 7 enemy mechs by herself and got 1k damage. 3-7 year olds seem to be the most OP players in the game. :P

They're TERRIFYING!

#43 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

I have to share a story from last night. I witnessed, for the first time in a pug, a 1-0 win. It was proof to me that the matchmaker is closer to being spot on. Both teams were terrified of each other and kept their distance. I tried a few times to get a push left or right (the teams were on opposite sides of the caldera on Caustic Valley), but no one would budge. Eventually, one of my team mates scored a lucky hit and got a kill. The clock kept ticking, the lurms, peeps, and ACs flew.... At the 20 second mark the other team finally rushed over. We danced around for a few seconds and the timer expired.

The one dude talking about idiot assaults doesn't seem to know what assaults are used for.....assaulting! They're meant to soak up damage and break the enemy line. If the rest of the team is right there with the assaults, more often than not you will see the opposing team poop their pants as they run for cover. Of course you can't always trust a pug to watch your back, but if you're in the situation where the majority of the team are squeamish you can save yourself the burden of watching your team fart around for five minutes until the other team realizes they've dropped against Care Bears and rushes in for the feeding frenzy.

Saturate the field in targets and it becomes incredibly difficult for a pug to focus. You will see the other team scatter to the corners of the map as the one or two douche bags on the opposite team start to slam people in chat for sucking.

Some of my favorite matches have been holding down a shallow crater in the wide open with plenty of ECM/AMS to handle LURMS while the enemy falls one by one peeking from cover.

#44 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Best way for me to avoid getting **** teammates that have no business even playing this game is not playing during 1500-2100 EST. Which happens to be US prime time where all the kiddies are coming home from school and the older ones are coming home from work. After 2 matches in a row of 7-9 players not breaking past 100 damage I know it's time to take a break and do something else for a bit.

#45 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostJonahGrimm, on 07 July 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Or: "How I learned to love the MM, and understand what was happening in a round."

Okay, folks - here's the thing. A matchmaker in an exclusively PVP game is always a dicey prospect - and it's never perfect. If you're awesome, you're going to be put into situations where you're carrying a team. If you're average, sometimes you'll get folks whose ranking in the matchmaker doesn't really match up to what 'average' is. No matter what your ELO, you may end up with... well. Me.

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't always run optimum mechs - I'm playing with kitting out a Spider 5K as an Urbanmech, and have brawler Trebuchets for fun. I have gimmicky locust builds and experiments I'm trying in live fire. Sometimes, I get a little too aggressive even in good builds and get my face shot off early.

Basically, I'm the you most of you won't admit to being. :angry:

Why is this important?

Well, I'm the reason you're ROFLstomped - or, vice-versa, ROFLstomp other people.

(for newbies reading this: ROFLstomp is a 12-3 victory or better - when one team just rampages over the other.)

I'm going to tell you - it's not the matchmaker's fault.

-----------------------

What causes a ROFLstomp is actually fairly simple - gun advantage. Put another way: once you have begun to lose mechs, the loss will have a tendency to accelerate unless you can generate new, short term advantages.

Essentially, once you lose firepower, you lose the ability to generate kills. If you lose significantly more firepower than the opposing team, they can actually make it impossible to recover unless you can generate situations in which they can bring firepower to bear. If you go down 0-4 early, you will likely lose the match in a stomp. In the converse, if you go up 4-0 early, you're probably winning this match in the same way.

This doesn't have anything to do with a 'fail team', or a bad matchmaker - it has everything to do with how your team fares in the early engagement. Did you leave your assaults to fend for themselves and lose them early? Did your lights make a bad corner and eat facefull of Jager AC40? Did your team choose a bad spot for a firing line, or did your enemies just do better at shooting this time and knock out too much armor at range?

If you get stomped, you may have been (and likely were) equally matched, but something went dramatically wrong.

Perhaps you were outplayed - someone had a great night. Perhaps you or someone on your team made a mistake. Perhaps you had no leadership, and they knew when to push. Who can say?

However, stomps don't happen because it was impossible to win - rather, they happen because you went down a bunch of mechs early, for whatever reason. Analyze that and you'll figure out your loss - or your victory, if you want to see /why/ you won.

Blaming the matchmaker is usually the refuge of those who didn't pay attention to the fight. The best team in the world can have a bad night, get out of position, or fail on coordination. That's essentially not the matchmaker's fault.

Yeah but "people not paying attention to the fight" IS a fault of the match maker - those are low skilled, low ELO players that don't know what's going on, let alone how to read a minimap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users