The Ultimate Mad Dog Thread

170 replies to this topic

#161 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

I shall renovate the opening post when I get a chance. Between doing chores for 4 different households, babysitting, and looking for a more stable job, I've been pretty darn busy..... The fact that Smash bros 4 Wii U came out recently doesn't help either, it's the only game that can tear me away from MWO from time to time right now.

In other news, Mad Dog C has been announced for the Gift Store.
https://mwomercs.com...orcements#mdd-c
Do you think you will have any use for the Mad Dog C? The 5% ballistics cooldowns on those side torsos is nice, but I dont think I could take 2 ballistic weapons on the Mad Dog.comfortably because it's underarmored for even just 4 tons if you want double gauss or an ac/40, and there's no way to reduce the tonnage outside of armor. I'd only be comfortable with doing double ac/10s on it. Unless I wanted to do ac/5s or ac/2s and add some streaks on, but it seems underpowered at that point for it's tonnage.
But what do i know? I've never been a fan of the ballistic + missile combo. If I dont have something high heat, I generally dont want ballistics unless it's a build focused solely on using ballistics.

My Experience with the Mad Dog today (feel free to skip, also warning, contains fanboying):
Was hoping to have a few more c-bills before Mad Dogs came out, but eh, real life was calling me. So I only got to buy the Mad Dog Prime. (and sold one of my extra standard engines for "emergencies" like this). I'm definently getting the A next, dat lovely 6 Pack, and I might find something that I can really enjoy out of the ballistic arm. Then B....... and maybe another A (so I can have a 6 LRM 5 mech, or 4 LRM 5, 2 Streak SRM 6 if lights are annoying me that day), Then maybe another Prime So I can keep one close to the stock, and one for just doing whatever.
So much fun to be had!

So due to lack of weapons, and saving some weapons from when I had a Kit Fox. I ended up with this build. I wanted it to stay similar to the Prime stock.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...997be2315b1d928
Max Armor, 2 ER Large Laser, 2 ER Medium laser, 2 LRM 15 with 7 tons ammo, Target comp 1, BAP.
Not the best of builds, but it's just something I threw together with the few clan weapons I had (too bad i can't transform my inner sphere weapons into clan, that'd save a lot of c-bills)

I gotta say, it's very strange to have a camera so high, that it makes you feel as tall as an assault mech. Very easy to stay behind cover with this mech. And the lower arms doesnt even bother me, it's pretty manageable, better than most mechs I've tried.

Also, I love the cockpit, it looks really nice, I like whatever that spinny orb thing is. Also, i can see EVERYTHING. just gotta watchout for the dumb metal bars overhead when you wanna shoot uavs.
I had only enough time today to do 3 matches.

Game #1 Terra Therma
First game in a few months, and the last mechs i were using were commandos so those are so heat efficient i didnt have to even care about heat, so I overheated more than I should have when I used the Mad Dog. I got to drop with a lance of another Mad Dog Prime, an LRM 70 Mad Dog A, and a Hellbringer Prime with ECM. Our team split into 2, while most of their team went center. We got to LRM the enemy a lot, but I decided to go forward a little, but overheated in front of a quac ac/5 Cataphract 4x (who had the most damage on their team), to my surprise i was not dead when i came back alive because he spread his damage all along my side torsos and CT. Then he proceeded to follow me a short ways into the team and he got wrecked. After he died the rest of our team pushed the other side then we got to LRM crazily on the enemies in the center since they had no cover, so they kept splitting up and being almost dead before they could get out of the center.
Sadly I only had a mere 313 damage (more damage than half the team, but eh, still makes me feel bad it was mainly 4 people doing all the massive damage). Perhaps I should have done a couple more test drives on terra therma or something. =)

Game #2 Tourmaline
I wish I had my screenshot from earlier, I wonder what happened to I, I remember saving it oh well. it just dissappeared. But 6 people on our team had over 500 damage, the rest around 200-300 damage. Which is like 5 times the damage of other games I've been in. Basically, my team was bunkered up in F5 and G4, the enemy team was hanging around F6. but they didnt know how to advance, so some of them went towards G6/G5, others went towards E6, but most of them stayed in F6 just barely out of view of our team. Most of the people in F5 were LRM boats, and i think we had 1 LRM boat in G4, so we just kept tossing tons of LRMs at the enemy as they poked their head out to try to go anywhere. I actually did half of the spotting for the F5 group (love that high cockpit and high missles!). I ended up with only 1 ton of ammo left by the end of the match.
I ended up getting above 800. I think it was something like 844 damage or whatever

I should probably note that there was an Adder at the very beginning of the match out near the F6 area, and he probably was the main reason why the enemy team went to F6 in the first place. Luckily he got to throw up a UAV a few seconds before he died, but none of there mechs were able to aim high enough to shoot it because of how clumped up they were, so they got rained on so they paniced. RIP Adder pilot, you pretty much set up and easy win for the team.

Game #3 Alpine Peaks
Our team was going to rush the i9 point from h9 but we had a lot of scaredy pilots so the push was a fail. I feel ever so sorry for the dire wolf pilot though, being one of the few that led the charge, he was targeted first and just ate a ton of lrms, he only did 51 damage. After most of the team was dead (and one arm lost), a misery, a heavy and something else (forget what) and i all went to the g9 hill to kill off some bad guys. I was being touched in theback by the rest of their team though. Due to terrible hill climbing (been using mostly lights/mediums this past year), and allies blocking me from getting away from teh enemy, I lost one side torso, and my other arm, leaving me with only a single LRM 15 which annoyed me because I still had about 800 missiles left. I ran away from my allies cause i cant do close range and i knew the enemy was slow, and they died soon after. So I spent the rest of the game going from g10, f10, F9, F8,G8, and then finally G9. and when i was in G9 I had no rear armor, my Side Torso and CT were both Cherry Red, with less than 100 missiles left when I died. The enemies remaining were a Mad Dog A LRM boat with no ammo (forgot if he was 6 LRM 15, or 6 LRM 10, end score was 407 damage, That makes me laugh), A griffin with AC/10 + ER PPC (but no ammo, but he was the only one that was actually doing damage to me, but it was fun to see myself dodge his ER PPC shots here and there), a Nova (almost legged and lost a side torso, with red armor, also weapons were too short range and he kept turning too often so he couldnt keep up), and an Atlas (red armor everywhere, seemingly out of ammo). When I was in the F8 and G8 area, I got to put on the hurt on a Misery on top the f9 hill (but out of LOS) that was being attacked by an Ice Ferret that lost an Arm (but he provided me locks, thanks!).
Ended up with 820 damage, with 3 Kills, but we lost. However, this was a 10 vs 12 though, and we had 2 AFks (and a couple people were distracted by an afk pilot for quite a while).

Was pretty awesome.

Feels nice to use LRMs once again, even if it makes me despise ECM carriers. I gotta say teh Mad Dog is Pretty darn easy to use. I wasn't expecting to see 800+ damage back to back (but then again, it's been a long time since I've used an lrm heavy mech, been using Mediums and Lights for little more than a year).

Also it was strange to see that every single game was 4 Mediums, 4 Heavies, 4 Assaults. It was interesting.

I apologize for contributing to the heavy population now, I just love the Mad Dog a lot.

#162 UtaraptorRed

Rookie

• Point Commander
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

Hello, MechWarriors.
I'm looking guidance and your help with Mad Dog. The problem is, that I can't decide which kind of weapon I should choose for backup. Now I have 2 LRM 15+Artemis with 1080 shots of rockets. This is basis for my build. I've installed 2 C-ER LL and 2 C-ER ML, and found this option good, but quite hot. The other option: 4 C-ER MPL. And I can't decide for myself which of this builds are better. Can anyone give me some advices?

#163 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

Redrik,

The Mad Dog is best played as a pure support mech. For this reason if you want to up the ante on your missiles and sacrifice laser firepower, go ahead. I personally play 4 LRM-15+ARTEMIS w/ 4 ERSL. The ERSL alpha hits for 20 damage so it's a nice personal defense weapon if guys get in too close. The chain fired LRMs are just wrecking machines if you have good teammates that like to pop UAVs, TAG or NARC people, or just keep the enemy targeted. With 1280 rounds of ammo I routinely do 600+ damage in CW before I die, it racks up kills like crazy too.

#164 UtaraptorRed

Rookie

• Point Commander
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

Nujrsydevil, thank you for your answer. I never thought about Small Lasers, becouse, as it seems to me, they almost useless as a weapon. But I'm ready to try!

Edited by Redrik Hunt, 08 September 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#165 UtaraptorRed

Rookie

• Point Commander
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

So, today I've tested NUJRSYDEVIL's build and I found it absolutely awesome. I've made some changes, such as: I've installed 2 LRMs 15 and 2 LRMs 10 + Artemis with 4 C-ER ML as backup weapon. It's really hot when you fire lasers, but rockets can annihilate almost anything. Really love it. Thanks again, NUJRSYDEVIL

#166 Nephoros Sradac

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Mad Dog (Vulture)!

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:03 PM

I agree that the MD is a support mech. I have 4 of them and love to use them in CW. Two of my MD have 6x Lrm 5's due to the cooldown (can fire more missiles) - I use those as mid range fighters backed up with Mpls and or an Erppc. My other MD is a pure Light Medium killer - 6x Ssrm 6's 1 alpha to a light and it is history. I love the MD's :)

Edited by Bastardinc, 08 September 2015 - 11:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users