170 replies to this topic

#141 Kristen Redmond

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMad Dog's Cockpit

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:38 AM

Favourite so far is 2xLRM15 2xLRM10 (Artemis) and 4 CERML for picking off CT's. Evil thing it is. It can run LRM60, but I find it a tad warm

#142 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

View PostKristen Redmond, on 25 September 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

Favourite so far is 2xLRM15 2xLRM10 (Artemis) and 4 CERML for picking off CT's. Evil thing it is. It can run LRM60, but I find it a tad warm

yeha actually artemis is a key when you go ofor serveral lrm10's or above. otherwise your missiles start to spread and lose efficiency. I tested this in a 4xlrm10 TW vs 4xLRM 10TW + artemis. The difference is a lot, and probably 40LRM + artemis work better than lrm 60 without. Too bad mad doggy cna not put lrm 60 with artemis + reasonable ammo. Thats would be a detahrian of CT sniping missiles.

#143 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

How much LRM ammo do you guys think you would need? You can have 6 tons of ammo with 6 LRM 10s and 5 Medium lasers with max armor. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a55553c99137e2c

You could always go the Catapult A1 route and just do 6 LRM 5s for very nice accuracy and get 9 more tons of ammo (or get some more heat sinks so you aren't totally screwed when there's a ton of ECM or something wants to chase you, and BAP)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e8a3ff2f77d6137

Personally I just don't like the idea of using build that the Timber Wolf can do, so using only 4 missile slots bugs me. You could always do 4 LRMs 2 SRMs if you want too.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a2527e1d66ff8c4

I prefer 2 LRMs, 4 SRMs generally though.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...37b6b9043c83a1b

#144 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

I do not think the vulture/ mad dog c will not be in MW: O or the omni pods for it...

Posted ImagePosted Image

As you can see, the Vulture / Mad dog configeration C is a bit more different...

Side torso is VERY small. Arms are Higher then normal and coming from further back.
(comparison to vulture / mad dog from the same game, series, etc and general)

It is quite different and skins will be completely different for the torso area and arms. (unless PGI goes a bit lazy and just makes it a normal vulture with no difference besides 2 ballistic in the arms... which removes it's high guass location and uniqueness)
Kinda like the Raven 2X.

We have seen from the catapult geometry update that PGI made them unison (minus K2/ jester) in looks just to be matching for easier to skin and model weapons...

I wounder what they'll do. It's in the time line.

#145 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 October 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

I do not think the vulture/ mad dog c will not be in MW: O or the omni pods for it...

Posted ImagePosted Image

As you can see, the Vulture / Mad dog configeration C is a bit more different...

Side torso is VERY small. Arms are Higher then normal and coming from further back.
(comparison to vulture / mad dog from the same game, series, etc and general)

It is quite different and skins will be completely different for the torso area and arms. (unless PGI goes a bit lazy and just makes it a normal vulture with no difference besides 2 ballistic in the arms... which removes it's high guass location and uniqueness)
Kinda like the Raven 2X.

We have seen from the catapult geometry update that PGI made them unison (minus K2/ jester) in looks just to be matching for easier to skin and model weapons...

I wounder what they'll do. It's in the time line.

That's just the miniature. The only visual distinction in the omni mechs is in the omnipods.

I hope they will add the arm of the Mad Dog C as and "extra" omnipod.

#146 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

View PostOdanan, on 01 October 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

That's just the miniature. The only visual distinction in the omni mechs is in the omnipods.

I hope they will add the arm of the Mad Dog C as and "extra" omnipod.

the 2nd image wasn't from a miniature.

and the miniatures from the table top is cannon.

It goes...

TT > Books/ Comics/ Journals > Battle tech (games) > Battle tech (show) > mech commander(game) > mechwarrior (game) (closer to 1 is most cannon/ lore friendly, other end of spectrum is further away)

And we will not even speak of the game that shall not be named for the original xbox.

In most pictures of it, it had a lot smaller side torso and the arms were more higher.

Also if they ever add the Mad dog C, it won't be extra omni pods, it'll be the whole mech as the mech is legal for MW: O (in sense of rules) and is within time period (unlike the timberwolf S and Kitfox S.... those mechs are very new in clan space and non will be in the front lines of the clan invasion for a year!)

#147 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 October 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

the 2nd image wasn't from a miniature.

and the miniatures from the table top is cannon.

It goes...

TT > Books/ Comics/ Journals > Battle tech (games) > Battle tech (show) > mech commander(game) > mechwarrior (game) (closer to 1 is most cannon/ lore friendly, other end of spectrum is further away)

And we will not even speak of the game that shall not be named for the original xbox.

In most pictures of it, it had a lot smaller side torso and the arms were more higher.

Also if they ever add the Mad dog C, it won't be extra omni pods, it'll be the whole mech as the mech is legal for MW: O (in sense of rules) and is within time period (unlike the timberwolf S and Kitfox S.... those mechs are very new in clan space and non will be in the front lines of the clan invasion for a year!)

Don't you get the mech's canonical visual appearance is revised in MWO? The mechs are (heavily or not) inspired in the TT ones, but once in the game, they have their own identity.

Examples:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#148 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostOdanan, on 01 October 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

Don't you get the mech's canonical visual appearance is revised in MWO? The mechs are (heavily or not) inspired in the TT ones, but once in the game, they have their own identity.

Examples:
Posted ImagePosted Image

There is a difference between the EG you showed and the one I am saying.

Posted Image
Spoiler

Same redesign(for its generation) of the Mad Dog/ Vulture in the same game.

What you are saying is for eg. you know the catapult K2 and the others? what you are saying is something like having those big LRM "ears" but when the hatch opens it isn't LRM tubes it's a PPC barrel.

What I am saying is this mech was drastically different intentionally from the other mad dog variants.
Redesign or not. It'll have a very small side torso and high arms.

The difference between these 2 variants is so great that Sarna listed these 2 mechs as completely different mechs for a few years. Much like the say a Cicada and Strider or the atlas I and atlas II.

edit: 2nd image was bugged and was a wall of code. changed it for soemthing else.

Edited by Nightshade24, 01 October 2014 - 06:28 AM.

#149 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

That was a Microsoft product. In a Microsoft game. Based off of a Battletech product in a FASA/WizKidz/WhateverthehellownedtheIPatthetime product.

Further, that was not even produced by Microsoft, but by MekTek in a mech pack.

There is no reason to expect that the Mad Dog C would not simply look like any other Mad Dog but with no missile ports and with two gauss arms.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 October 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#150 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 October 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

That was a Microsoft product. In a Microsoft game. Based off of a Battletech product in a FASA/WizKidz/WhateverthehellownedtheIPatthetime product.

Further, that was not even produced by Microsoft, but by MekTek in a mech pack.

There is no reason to expect that the Mad Dog C would not simply look like any other Mad Dog but with no missile ports and with two gauss arms.

Their is, because it was designed that way to reduce the area facing to an enemy and to be able to shoot over cover a bit better like a catapult K2.

And mektek is still a reliable source and the content they put out was more cannon then the other stuff microsoft did.
Even then.

Let's try the TT versions!

Posted ImagePosted Image
------------

Or the cards maybe?

Mad dog C
Posted Image
other mad dogs
Posted Image
(picture from the card, got it from sarna. couldn't get a picture atm that shows this mech well while showing the rest of the card)

The Mad Dog C card even states it's unique profile. If PGI makes it the same like any other mad dog then they just removed it's 2 most important strengths that makes it stand out compaired to the other mad dogs. It might as well be a Mad Dog A with a ballistic arm on the other side.

#151 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

Even the card art is dubious. Looks like a normal Mad Dog with the missile ports plugged. IE: about what I would expect. That, and Battletech official art is notorious for being inconsistent.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 October 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#152 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

Originally I loved the idea of the Mad Dog C getting in (normally I don't like ballistic builds, but I make an exception for mechs that are specificly geared for ballistics). However, it's stock loadout of 2 Gauss rifles doesn't give it enough ammo or armor to contribute efficiently in MWO unless you're the type of pilot that expects to die rather quickly, or you don't mind having the armor of a light.
I only see the C omnipod get in personally. Which would be fine because of double ac/2, double ac/5, or maybe double ac/10.

Personally I don't like having more than 1 ammo based system (I make an exception for LRMs acting as a support though). Whatever the case, it's not going to be anything earthshaking if the Mad Dog is suddenly able to use 2 Ballistic hardpoints. So sure add it in. I would only see myself using 2 AC/5s on the Mad Dog due to how hot SRMs can be (when you have as many as the Mad Dog that is), and ac/5s providing long range low heat options.

I don't really see the reason for making the side torsos smaller on the Mad Dog C though. Even if that was the case, it wouldn't make much of a difference because the sides of the center bulge is still the side torsos so it's still easy to hit the sides if you want. Sure it makes it slightly harder when you shoot it head on, but other than that you still can't justify having 2 Gauss Rifles (or 2 AC/20s) due to the lack of ammo you will have.

#153 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:19 AM

This Mech is just useless, the armor is quicker gone than ice in a microwave.

Edited by LiGhtningFF13, 02 October 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#154 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 01 October 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I don't really see the reason for making the side torsos smaller on the Mad Dog C though. Even if that was the case, it wouldn't make much of a difference because the sides of the center bulge is still the side torsos so it's still easy to hit the sides if you want. Sure it makes it slightly harder when you shoot it head on, but other than that you still can't justify having 2 Gauss Rifles (or 2 AC/20s) due to the lack of ammo you will have.

If you are willing to risk a bit with low armor on the legs and not having backup weapons, this is as good as any Gauss Jager, even better maybe ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af2c219cfa6a623

I used the 2 large pulses to simulate a Gauss rifle. Besides, you might just use that Gauss+2 LPLs instead.. Might work :P

View PostLiGhtningFF13, on 02 October 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

This Mech is just useless, the armor is quicker gone than ice in a microwave.

It seems that many are enjoying it..

Edited by CyclonerM, 02 October 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#155 Boyka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 25 September 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

How much LRM ammo do you guys think you would need? You can have 6 tons of ammo with 6 LRM 10s and 5 Medium lasers with max armor. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a55553c99137e2c ...

Tryed 6x LRM5 with 6 tons of ammo but they go too fast, this mech is an ammo eater, my rule is 1 ton of ammo for every LRM5 and in this case is not enought..

5 ML and 6 LRM10 are too heavy, you cannot manage heat, your main gun are the missiles, switch a ML with a Tag and use 18 DHS or more for a good cooling otherwise you'll spend most of your time in shutdown mode..

#156 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 October 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

That, and Battletech official art is notorious for being inconsistent.

That is true, but the thing that is consistent is that it's different. In most descriptions of it.

I wouldn't mind if PGI just make it the same as a missile-less mad dog with just ballistics. But it still kinda ruins the uniqueness.

#157 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Too many LRMs on the vulture got you worried? Learn to fight in the shade.

Posted Image

#158 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Really tough work to level this paper model!

#159 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image

#160 Gernot von Kurzmann

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:42 AM

Today is Partytime!
  • Vulture - December 16th for MC and January 20th for C-bills
  • Myst Lynx - Jan 6th for MC and Feb 3rd for C-bills
  • Ice Ferret - Jan 20th for MC and Feb 17th for C-bills
  • Hellbringer - Feb 3rd for MC and March 3rd for C-bills
  • Gargoyle - Feb 17th for MC and March 17th for C-bills
The Mad Dog comes for Cbills- and i buy 4! :)

Edited by Gernot von Kurzmann, 20 January 2015 - 01:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users