#101 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

Agreed.

But there are some, who like to pay for mechs that turn out to be good in game.

Person like myself for example wouldnt buy a shinny beautifull mech just to have fun with it in pug games, and turning up to be very **** in 12men drops.

No matter how much money i may or may not have, information about its hardpoints and variants is fatal to me. Other than that i can wait few months till it gets released for cBills

Edited by MechB Kotare, 16 September 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#102 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

For me, I'm an Inner Sphere guy and the Vulture/Mad Dog is the one clanmech I'm interested in since I always loved the look of it (and Alex appears to have done the usual excellent job on this redesign). So in my case getting the Masakari and Gladiator pack just to get a Vulture early is not worth it and I'll probably wait for the C-Bill or MC version before buying my first (and only) clanmech.. For one of you filthy, horrible, misguided test-tube scum, however, I imagine it might be worth it if you really want it. :)

#103 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

Well you could compare it to the Timber Wolf since they are very similar in a lot of ways. Which is kind of a good thing for the Mad Dog since the Timber Wolf is generally viewed as the meta of the clans.

Pros for Timber Wolf
More Armor (100% by default. Mad Dog still needs to add about 2.5 more tons to get it's max armor and will still have less armor). Since Mad Dog pilots are likely to max out their armor (or go glass cannon LRM boat), this makes the Timber Wolf have 2 tons more weapon space.
Jumpjet capable (at the cost of negative quirks)
For raw damage, the Timber Wolf is better at doing energy builds than the Mad Dog, due to 3 extra heat sinks, and having more armor by default.

Pros for Mad Dog
Ability to use 6 Missile hardpoints (Spam those LRM 5s, or be a Splat Dog![6 SRM 6], or be the biggest LRM boat possible!).
High cockpit, with slightly higher arms - Better for hill-hump shooting with the arms
Will be smaller, and it's less beefy making it slightly harder to hit (hopefully enough to offset it's lack of armor compared to Timby)
Due to the lack of Endo Steel, there is more room for you to place stuff. You can even put stuff in the legs if you want, which the Timber Wolf cannot do.

Unknown for Mad Dog:
Which arms will we get for the Mad Dog? Will we be able to have 5 medium lasers thanks to the B? or be able to dual gauss/dual ac/20 with the C? These are both things that the Timber Wolf cannot do (but Timby can use more than 5 lasers if he uses energy hardpoints outside of his arms).
Will there be quirk buffs for the Mad Dog (or just not get nerfed while the Timber Wolf gets nerfed)?
What will the hit boxes be like? (Stalker vs Catapult/Old Dragon)
If drop tonnage is a concern, Mad Dog will be very effective for it's weight. Performing similarly to the Timber Wolf but 15 tons lighter.

We just need a little more information, but imo I think the Mad Dog will be worth it, just hoping for good hitboxes, and maybe a small quirk buff.

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 16 September 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

For me, I'm an Inner Sphere guy and the Vulture/Mad Dog is the one clanmech I'm interested in since I always loved the look of it (and Alex appears to have done the usual excellent job on this redesign). So in my case getting the Masakari and Gladiator pack just to get a Vulture early is not worth it and I'll probably wait for the C-Bill or MC version before buying my first (and only) clanmech.. For one of you filthy, horrible, misguided test-tube scum, however, I imagine it might be worth it if you really want it. :)

Well you are a Kuritan, they seem to love the Mad Dog, afterall they attempted to recreate it with the Avatar. ;)

Edited by Keeshu, 16 September 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#104 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

I love the looks of the Mad Dog but really hated playing it in MW4 with these low arms turning sand into glass. I think it will be fun to play in the clan completionist mode I think I'm in but I doubt it will be used much thereafter. I wouldn't have minded the TW/Summoner arm style, though I'd like to see these very long pulse lasers for all mechs as in the original Vulture art much more. I do not think the lack of endo steel is a good idea so perhaps it will end up next to Thor in the junkyard...

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 16 September 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#105 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, lack of Endo Steel sucks for just about any mech that isn't one of the heavier assaults. I was just trying to list positives for it since we may never be able to change from standard to endo. I still find it puzzling they made Endo + Ferro + standard fixed, but eh, whatever. Though, even without Endo Steel, the only other BS the Mad Dog has is 2 fixed Heat sinks, considering what has happened to some other mechs, that's pretty nice for the Mad Dog. I do not think the Mad Dog will be in the Junk yard, afterall, I still think the Mad Dog will be better than the Summoner. Though I do hope it gets good hit boxes + nice quirks so it can be competitive, unless the Timber Wolf gets nerfed. The fact that the Mad Dog is so similar to the Timber Wolf is it's main problem, especially since the S variant was added to give the Timber Wolf Jumpjets, which is a major thing the Mad Dog will never be able to do.
Btw, since you do not have Endo Steel, you could do 4 Lrm 15, 2 LRM 20 if you really really wanted to, but that's more of a build to just go around and pug with due to lack of armor and/or ammo.
Personally I plan to put my ammo in the side torsos of the Mad Dog, especially since if there is an explosion, the damage will not go anywhere else because of the built in case, and it makes sure I have ammo for my Missile launchers as long as I have the torso.

#106 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

Depends which torso gets destroyed first; hopefully not the one that expends its torso ammo last :) This is why I sometimes put a few tons in the arms; changes they get blown off are not that large and when you loose the torso you loose the arm anyway.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 16 September 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#107 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Well if the arms get blown off from the side torsos going, and the arms being destroyed does not destroy the side torsos, why put ammo in the arms when the damage does not spread to other areas because of the case protecting the ammo? I mean crits can happen, but the crits are a pretty low chance anyways to the point where they almost don't happen. If you lose the arms, you are not totally useless due to your lack of ammo.

I forget the order for what ammo gets used up first though. Too bad we can't change that order somehow though.

#108 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

It would be great if you could choose the order, including options what ammo slots to use simultaneously...

#109 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

This is how I'd like to do prioritization:
Most injured part first
Then after that, from first to last: Arms -> Side Torsos -> Legs -> Head. (and I never put ammo in the CT, i like to put heat sinks, BAP, jumpjets or whatever in there, to keep nice symmetry)
Arms are generally the first thing that flies off you if you torso twist at all on most mechs. Side Torsos are usually the next thing to go. My legs usually don't get shot at especially since I like to hill hump a lot of the time, but if one leg goes you have an 80% chance to die in the next few seconds anyways because it's like having a big red target painted on your CT or other Leg. I never put ammo in the CT, I usually use the CT for odd things like BAP, Targeting computer, odd number of Jumpjets, Double Heat sinks, because I try to keep thing symmetrical.
If possible, make it so it equals out the ammo on both sides so that you don't end up having all your ammo left over in the right side and use it all up in the left side, then get shot on the right and lose all your ammo.

But I'm not sure if they'd bother with that much coding sadly.

I'm just glad my Mad Dog has a Free case in every slot, so I should never have to worry about ammo explosions, unless they decide to drasticly increase the rate of the ammo explosions on Clan mechs, which would hurt the Mad Dog the most since It's usually Missile focused if it's not trying to do the PPC/Gauss "meta".

#110 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

I am so buying the Man-O-War package for it! o_o'

#111 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Ho, and I know what music I'm going to use when I get inside that baby!

#112 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Good news everyone! They decided to release information on the stock loadouts and hard points of the Mad Dog!

http://mwomercs.com/wavetwo?p=patcher
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It appears they decided to give the Mad Dog Prime variant the ability to use AMS. Will you be using AMS? What quirks do you think they will give for each variant?

Edit:
Also they revealed the colors of the factions for the first time and they are on the Mad Dog, what do you think of these colors, and what do you want your Mad Dog colors to be?
Spoiler

Edited by Keeshu, 17 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#113 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Unfortunately, I think the Mad Dog A will see the same type of quirk as the Timber Wolf S torso's, with the increased cool-down time. SRM-36 would just be too powerful, otherwise (even if you went for a ton of DHS's.

#114 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

I'm perfectly fine with a cooldown reduction, just like I am with the Nova's cooldown. You're still only going to be able to shoot twice (maybe 3 times if you aren't lazy or not ambushing and only first 3 at a time) before having to backoff unless you put in a ton of double heat sinks.

If SRM 36 was too powerful, you'd think we'd see more Splatapults. ;) Though I will admit, Mad Dog will be able to do everything the Splatapult can do but better.... except it will lack the Jumpjets (escaping and ambushing) and armor of the Catapult. Though we really really need to know what the hitboxes are like, and we'll see how easy it is for people to kill the Mad Dog.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ec0c01ad85f34f8
This will require some imagination since the Mad Dog isn't in smurfy yet. Basically the Mad Dog can do 5 Medium lasers 6 SRM 6+artemis with 5.5 tons of ammo with max armor. This build is the main build that sets the Mad Dog and Timber Wolf apart. The ER PPC and 1.5 Free tonnage (7.5 tons) is just a placeholder for the 2 SRM 6 + artemis (5 tons) and the 2.5 tons is to max out the armor. If you want, you can free up 6 more tons by removing artemis to add to other things (which I will probably do, since I will likely use Medium lasers at most ranges, but SRMs for "hugging" distance).
It's definitely a very hot build, so you'll be more suited for ambushing. I don't think this build will be competitive though. It'll be fun for PUG stomping though (I have a blast whenever I take my Splatapult out, "SURPRISE HUGGBEES!")

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5889b3f4056616b
If you care about being competitive, at least the Mad Dog can do 2 ER PPC + Gauss (or some other ballistic) pretty easily thanks to the A's left Arm and Prime's right arm. Though the Timber Wolf probably does it better, but if tonnage limits are a thing you'll know what to pick

#115 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

MW4 version

Posted Image

Hybrid CBT/MW4

Clan Ghost Bear

Posted Image

Clan Smoke Jaguar

Posted Image

4 of a kind

Posted Image

Naked glory

Posted Image

#116 Handgimp

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Have the devs posted what variant is getting injected Sept 23 for the Ultimate Clan Reward?

#117 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostHandgimp, on 18 September 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Have the devs posted what variant is getting injected Sept 23 for the Ultimate Clan Reward?

I think all of them..?

Edited by CyclonerM, 18 September 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#118 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

As CyclonerM said. All of them.. You will see a lot of Mad Dogs I am thinking next Tuesday. Should be fun.

#119 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 18 September 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Should be fun.

Not at all.

Because i will not have one.. :unsure:

Edited by CyclonerM, 18 September 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#120 Handgimp

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

Ah did I read it wrong? I thought it said if you did Masakari and ManOWar you got a bonus Mad Dog.

e: Oh never mind I'm just illiterate. That'll teach me to post while drunk

Edited by Handgimp, 18 September 2014 - 02:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users