The Ultimate Mad Dog Thread

170 replies to this topic

#81 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

Very happy to see this thread. Best 'Mech in the game. Carried me through my first play-through of Ghost Bear's Legacy.

#82 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Nice to hear that August. :)

Anywho, I plan to keep this thread updated after Mad Dog is released too. I'll try to keep a list of builds, and make sure to note every pro+con for it.
I am running out of ideas of what to add to the thread for now though.
I'd like to go mention every Mad Dog pilot in the games and novels, but I don't have access to all the Mechwarrior games, and I don't know if I have the time to read all the novels. I have access to Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance + Black Knight, and Mechwarrior 2 is going to be a pain in the rear to get working, and I don't have any other Mech game (but I want them of course, but money probs, and I'd want to buy some more things on MWO first anyways). As for the novels, I'm not sure if I'll be able to read them, and much less have time to read them (with my random schedule + It's hard to resist playing the awesomeness that is MWO). I could list all the missions that have Mad Dogs though. (and maybe say a % of each mech in each game+level if I feel ambitious. I get an excuse to watch older mechwarrior stuff though.)
I have no knowledge of the battletech board game either, so I'm not sure what it's purpose is in that either. I have even more excuses to learn the rules of battletech now though, but even then, I'll never be a pro Battletech player because I'm not into board games, so really that information would only come from multiple Battletech players.
Is there anything else I could possibly add to the OP?

#83 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Mad Dog A's 6/srm 6's with mad dog B arms 5 energy for 5 er med. At least 6 tons of ammo spend the remaining tonnage on armor and DHS. Be everything the splatcat was but so much more. 107 damage running around at 90 yes please.

#84 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

Sounds very deadly Fear. I'll try to recreate the builds with the Timber Wolf because of how close they are.

6 SRM 6 with Artemis and 5 ER Medium lasers, 8 tons of SRM ammo with default armor.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fbde451f4ffc75c
Just imagine the 5 Machine ammo are 2 extra SRM 6 + Artemis, and that the medium laser in the right torso is actually in the arm.
Though since I love to be such a supportive guy, I may replace one of the mediums with a tag, and 1 ton ammo with a BAP. and 1 ton for more armor. 5 tons of ammo seems a little underwhelming (especially since my catapult has 8 tons of ammo, and in closed beta I would just barely run out of ammo near the end of the match after murdering everything in 8v8), so I may end up not doing that.
You could save 6 tons by removing Artemis I suppose, you could upgrade the mediums to pulses and/or have more ammo.

Whatever the case, I do not want to turn a corner and run into something like this, and I look forward to using this.

edit: I may add more builds here later, just a little distracted by helping a friend with the lance event.

Edited by Keeshu, 08 September 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#85 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostKeeshu, on 08 September 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Sounds very deadly Fear. I'll try to recreate the builds with the Timber Wolf because of how close they are.

6 SRM 6 with Artemis and 5 ER Medium lasers, 8 tons of SRM ammo with default armor.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fbde451f4ffc75c
Just imagine the 5 Machine ammo are 2 extra SRM 6 + Artemis, and that the medium laser in the right torso is actually in the arm.
Though since I love to be such a supportive guy, I may replace one of the mediums with a tag, and 1 ton ammo with a BAP. and 1 ton for more armor. 5 tons of ammo seems a little underwhelming (especially since my catapult has 8 tons of ammo, and in closed beta I would just barely run out of ammo near the end of the match after murdering everything in 8v8), so I may end up not doing that.
You could save 6 tons by removing Artemis I suppose, you could upgrade the mediums to pulses and/or have more ammo.

Whatever the case, I do not want to turn a corner and run into something like this, and I look forward to using this.

edit: I may add more builds here later, just a little distracted by helping a friend with the lance event.

Hell yeah even more deadly when you macro the srm's to fire in groups of 3 500ms apart. It will be a fantastic ambush mech. Hopefully the paltry 60 tons will be somewhat made up in fast torso twist, max twist angles and turn speed.

#86 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostAugust Immanuel, on 03 September 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Very happy to see this thread. Best 'Mech in the game. Carried me through my first play-through of Ghost Bear's Legacy.

I'm crossing my fingers that Clan Pack Wave 2 has this as one of the 4 mechs.

#87 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

I'd be _extremely_ surprised if the Mad Dog/Vulture _wasn't_ part of the wave 2 pack. It's probably one of the best known clanmechs still not released.

#88 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

Whether the Mad Dog is Wave 2 or Wave 3 I do not care. I just want the Mad Dog to be done right visually and balance-wise. The worst thing a game can do is bastardize something you used to love (excluding horror games :P ).

Sorry if the rest of the post seems like I am repeating myself. (I just feel like typing) :P
Though Alex seems to do a ******* awesome job on all the mech designs. The only ones I dislike are Timber Wolf's redesign (still looks good, just not a fan of it's bulk, but hey, it can stay that way because I always thought of Timby as the Bulky brother of the Mad Dog), and the Raven (which still looks good, and it was more of turning the raven into MWO's style, so I don't blame him). Also the Centurion looking like a Kheper (which looks better imo, and there's no chance of the Kheper getting in the game).
I just worry about the Mad Dog looking like the MW4, since Alex does seem to like to bulk things up (might be due to balance reasons, gasp). Considering how consistent he is in being awesome, I feel he'll do make the Mad Dog look good, but I still worry because the Mad Dog is similar to the Timby.

I won't bother talking about balance since you can see how huge of a chunk of the OP there is on the balance concerns.

#89 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

I like the look on most of the current clan mechs. They could really use a new guy to do the paint work because the livery on the new griffin hero is terrible, 8 year old design quality which is sad. The mad dog will be between a rock and a hard place if it ends up with a torso like a catapult.

#90 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

I have no idea who does the paint jobs on the hero mechs. I don't like thunderbolts (I'm not talking about the mech or weapon) so I can't say anything on the design, but I know some people that would go crazy for the new Griffin hero paint job. To me it looks awesome aside form the thunderbolts.

I dont see why they'd every use something like the Catapult torso for the Mad Dog. They are more likely to use the Dragon's torso for the Mad Dog than the Catapult. Still hoping for Stalker hit boxes when it comes out though.

#91 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 09 September 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

I dont see why they'd every use something like the Catapult torso for the Mad Dog. They are more likely to use the Dragon's torso for the Mad Dog than the Catapult. Still hoping for Stalker hit boxes when it comes out though.

He means a big CT like that of the Cat.

#92 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

Because surely the Dragon smaller CT than the Catapult? :D

Maybe it's was because I was in closed beta and hit reg was probably worse then because during that time I had no troubles with spreading damage around on the catapult when I was playing it that makes it seem like the catapult's CT isn't as huge as people claim (it's still huge though I won't deny). Dragon on the other hand, not so much (but I haven't played it since they changed the hit boxes)

Whatever the case just him saying it's like the CT is rather vague so I don't think we should pick apart the tiny things about it.

To just say something different, how many people do you think will use ballistics on the Mad Dog in general?
How many people do you think will try to use the double Gauss Rifle (like the C alt config) or double AC/20 build if they get the chance?

Here's a random build off the top of my head if I were to try using ballistics. 2 AC/5s 4 tons ammo, 6 SRM 4s 3 tons ammo
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d06edfbe52e0726
No I haven't looked at the differences between the clan ballistics much yet, just use the ac you want, they all weigh the same and crit slots aren't a prob on the Mad Dog. (using the last 1 ton for the Mad Dog on armor here too). Maybe replace 2 SRM 4s with 2 LRM 5s and have 1 ton of ammo for LRM ammo, just so you can make people panic and hide if they are putting too much pressure on your teammates.
I can't think of any other double ballistics builds I'd use, and just using a single ballistics is something the alt config A already does. I'm addicted to energy and missile weapons. In general I don't like only using weapon systems that have ammo unless I'm boating that weapon.

#93 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

Yeah I meant a large easy to hit ct like the catapult not reusing it. Anywho dual gauss or ua/c20 I just don't see the weight available to make them viable you'd need at least 8 tons of u/ac ammo to not run out incredibly fast.

I do share your love of missiles and energy. All I have currently is a Warhawk running 4 srm6 artemis, 2 large pulse and 3 er med's. The mad dog should be able to bring me similar builds with much higher speed can't wait any longer it's like torture.

If the mad dog does not make wave 2 it will give me another reason to put more time into Halo.

#94 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

we need a fast clan light the firemoth would fit the bill perfectly an annoying clan variation of the spider.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firemoth

#95 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 10 September 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

we need a fast clan light the firemoth would fit the bill perfectly an annoying clan variation of the spider.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firemoth

Config D please. Hopefully they'll release a firemoth without masc till they get that working.

#96 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Due to seeking a challenge in Mechwarrior 2, I used the Firemoth the most. I would like to see it in game at some point too. I didn't use the Mad Dog the most, because at the time I didn't know how to add ammo, or how to put things in groups until the last couple months I was playing the game (also the reason why I love the Rifleman IIC soo much when first getting into mechwarrior 2, didn't have to group weapons and it was a very nice noobie mech for me to learn the game, and had a nice sounding chain fire)

I know, we should build the Fire moth's weapons on the Mad Dog! :P

#97 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

I want the ecm Aletha config

#98 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...iation-program/

The day has come. The Mad Dog (and Gargoyle + King Crab) has been announced! Oh happy day! Can't wait to start seeing pictures of the Mad Dog, and if it has any quirks, and just being able to mess around with it in the mech bay.

Edit: More information!
http://mwomercs.com/...e__pid__3724765
Posted Image

And if there's money questions about the package, here's this little post.
http://mwomercs.com/...09#entry3725009

I'm having difficulties deciding which one I like more, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe I'll be able to think more clearly after eating. It's a nice MWOification of the classic Mad Dog. I will start a comparison between this new Mad Dog and the classic one soon, just gonna grab some dinner.

Edit once more:
MWO redesign + classic Mad Dog comparison is now added to the OP.

Personally I like the new cockpit. I also like that the missile tubes are are paying a little mini-tribute to Mechwarrior 4's missile tubes, just to show that it wasn't forgotten. I'm glad the "nipples" on those bumps in the front were removed, ugh.
While I'm a tad disappointed with the arms, I'm just glad we didn't get the box arms that Mechwarrior 4's Vulture had. They still look good and will probably fit better in MWO.
I do like the re-used part that the Kit Fox + Nova used to connect the legs to the CT, it's a good looking part. *shrug*
I'm worried about the legs of the Mad Dog right now, since they are basically the Timber Wolf's legs, at least from the little bit that we can see. The legs was the largest reason why I didn't like the Timber Wolf's re-design. However, from what I see it's possible that it might be fine, though they do look a tad thick. We'll just have to see when we can see the rest of the model. One thing is for sure, Mad Dog didn't skip leg day.

I'm very very happy about this re-design and I can safely say I will be piloting this thing whenever I get the chance.

Edited by Keeshu, 15 September 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#99 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

YEah, thank god no reimagination of that funny fat dog from MW4.

Question is though. Is it worth it?

From the looks of it, you need both masakari package and gargoyle package to get it

Edited by MechB Kotare, 16 September 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#100 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

It really depends on how much money you have to spend. While I do love the Mad Dog more than any other mech, and I don't play many games outside of Mechwarrior Online anymore, I'm having money troubles as is (currently no stable job, I have this rule of, if you don't have income, do not buy anything you do not need, even if you do have a lot of money saved up.), so I can't really go and buy it.
If someone has a decent paying job, and/or the only game they play is Mechwarrior Online, It'll probably be worth it to them. Just depends on the individual person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users