529 replies to this topic

#421 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 11 September 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

I don't think the part with the jump-jetting above barriers etc. is a good idea. Is this the final concept or just a placeholder for a number of different approaches? I really hope for the latter, because if not, game play will become stale and boring in not time (it will be exactly the same tactics with the same mechs on all the maps in every game).

So please consider this: Give us huge maps instead and put more than one choke-point on them. So the attacking team chooses one way of attacking the main objective and the defenders have to react on this.
Let's say for example the attackers can choose between blowing up a generator on the west end of the map or they can capture a radar station on the east side of the map. Reaching one of those objectives will allow them to proceed to the main objective.
That way the attackers will have to formulate a plan of attack (other than "Ok lights with JJs, go, like you do it every time!") and the defenders must scout the map to concentrate on one objective or they are forced to split their forces.

From the Document:

If the attackers use high ground positions and take out the power plants holding the magnetic doors shut, the doors will lose power and a safety mechanic opens the doors allowing the attackers through.

So more than one way to skin that cat dawg. :)

#422 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostQuax1102, on 11 September 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

Question on this part: so this means if the defenders are offline, the planet is taken over by the attackers without a fight?

This seems kinda strange. How do you think tha will work out - do you expect every clan/faction to have a 12-man group beeing online 24/7??? I'd rather expected an option to mutually set up a date and time for the fight (like it is with the current leagues that are set up by players).

From the Document:

FACTION DEFENDERS
  • If the [2] minute limit expires, the remaining slots available on the team are made publicly available.
  • When this release to faction defenders happens, all faction players are notified via an in-game messaging system.
  • The remaining slots are filled by faction defenders in priority order in which they clicked the defend button.
  • Faction defenders when allowed to join a team are given [30] seconds to choose their ‘Mechs to fit the available slots.

Did no one read the document?

#423 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostSnakerensky, on 11 September 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

From what I have read of Community Warfare it is reasonable to assume that if you have joined a unit then you will be locked to the faction that unit is aligned to (or hired by if a merc unit) and only be able to use the mechs usable by that particular faction (perhaps a bit more latitude for merc units). However, can lone wolf players swap between factions as we are currently able to in our profiles in order to play all the mechs we currently own, be they clan affiliated or one of the Inner Sphere factions?

I guess that raises the question of whether playing one faction on the account would adversely effect the loyalty points of any other factions we may wish to play or would we be able to raise our loyalty points with a number of factions simultaneously?

From reading, a Lone Wolf could change is Coat (so to speak) but that would only allow for them to be on the Defense Forces of whatever Faction they are running at the time. Attackers are ALL 12-man pre-mades and that requires Faction tags to create.

#424 Khord

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Two observations - First, no one will be able to field a team to respond in 2 minutes. Second, if this is a 3 day battle, why rush the start? Give it a 24 hour notice that attacks will begin to simulate the drop ship burning into the system from a Pirate point. This gives the contracted defenders enough notice that they can get folks online to at least initiate the defense with a group.

#425 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostChemie, on 11 September 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

So you have one of each class in your dropship. Is there any team limit on what you take in the first spawn/wave? Won't the defends just take 12 assaults to defend? I can see 12 direwolfs guarding the gate (unless there are a bunch of gates spread over a large map?). Seems most of the lights will get left and it will be go heavy/assault or die.

We assume that ALL groups involved will have to maintain the 3x4 rule. The Attacker sets things in motion after prepping in the Group queue same as now. The Defense Force can be waiting for the Klaxon to go (assuming any level of pre-made from 2-12), and when the klaxon does sound (notification received) the groups click "Ready to Defend for faction X" and after 30 seconds none full 12's get supplemented with Solo faction based fillers.

#426 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostKhord, on 11 September 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Two observations - First, no one will be able to field a team to respond in 2 minutes. Second, if this is a 3 day battle, why rush the start? Give it a 24 hour notice that attacks will begin to simulate the drop ship burning into the system from a Pirate point. This gives the contracted defenders enough notice that they can get folks online to at least initiate the defense with a group.

Actually, a ready unit will already have a 12men team waiting for a battle. It only comes down to inviting people and choosing 'Mechs; if we will be able to see which map we are dropping in, there will be the need for some time to switch 'Mechs, but just responding is possible.

However, your suggestion makes sense :)

#427 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostBhelogan, on 11 September 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

So, maybe this has been asked but here is my question:

If I plan on playing for IS during CW, is there any reason for me to invest in this next clan expansion pack?

It comes highly recommended that if you want to play CW on both sides, and do not yet have Clan Mechs, start a Smurf account and buy/bind the Clan Mech to that account. Then you may join a Clan or play Clan loyalist (or whatever) and be all flippy floppy. :)

#428 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 11 September 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

It comes highly recommended that if you want to play CW on both sides, and do not yet have Clan Mechs, start a Smurf account and buy/bind the Clan Mech to that account. Then you may join a Clan or play Clan loyalist (or whatever) and be all flippy floppy. :)

I wouldn't recommend that. They also mentioned that at some point after the initial launch, IS players will be able to use Clan 'Mechs as they are "salvaged."

In my mind, best to have all of your paid-for-with-real-money 'Mechs on one account.

You'll also be able to use 'em in PUG games at will, so the Invasion variants will give your primary account a nice little C-bill boost.

#429 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

View Postkeith, on 11 September 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

i will say this too. the 2 min timer is horrible. try to set up a team in 2 mins. won't happen, in NBT we had 10 mins between drops to figure out mechs/drop dec/ configs and that was for 8 ppl. in 2 mins u have to responed , get 12 ppl together and form your mechs togeahter to defend.

Reading the document would seem to indicate the 2 minute timer runs after the Attack button is hit, allowing 2 minutes if players want to change a Mech, at the last minute. The 12 will be grouped and decks prepped already. The defense force will have to be on standby if less than 12, faction fillers need to be found (after 30 seconds of any Group <12 arrives).

#430 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostAction Man, on 11 September 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Paul you mentioned stuff kicking off around peak times, How is this determined? or rather what counts as a peak time? just a little paranoia of being left out due to time zones or other global factors

Sounds like "After Supper" wherever you may reside on this soulless rock we call home. That would be 6:00pm local time for myself. Weekends are more flexible.

#431 Merit Lef

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Some ideas to find a solution to current questions.
How can we form a 12man defending force in 2 mins to respond to an attack?
*After the attacking force initiates the first attack, a probable tracker is displayed on the star map (or a section of the star map for the contracted defenders). Defending forces then can mobilize their units via emails, text, TS and track the possible times and areas that land fall may occur. 2 min warning is for an immediate attack and subsequent battles on the planet. Much like hurricane tracks. White filled in area are areas that can be affected, and light shaded areas are probable.

Posted Image

I can only participate in CW if I’m only in a 12man and or during peak hours?
*Use a Tier system planet/engagement so all group sizes and time zones can participate:
  • Tier one – 1-4mans drops / outpost on moon, dwarf planets, infant colonies, recon. Engagements are quick and uses smallest maps, one or two battles 24/7.
  • Tier two – 4-8mans drops / larger outposts, early warning system (see below), healthy size colonies, mining operations, economic ventures. Engagements last 2-5 battles using med-small maps 24/7.
  • Tier three – 8-11mans drops / normal planets, robust infrastructure, communication relays, large colonies. Long fought out engagements using large-small maps 7-9 battles or one 24hr period during high peak hours.
  • Tier four – 12mans drops (Lore Planets, highly developed planets and colonies. Epic 3 day engagements during high peak hours (as Dev suggested). Maps as Dev suggested.
CW can be 24/7 with a Tier system. Lower, insignificant assets can be contested with smaller drops at all hours of the day while major, high interest assets are challenged at high peak hours.

What are the uses of units $$$ coffers?
*In addition to building up the planets defense with turrets, gates, generators etc. Allow the occupying unit to invest in building up the planets infrastructure on the Tier system.
  • $ - to build turrets, gates etc
  • $$ - to move from T1 to T2
  • $$$ - build up T2 (turrets, gates, population, economy, EWSs)
  • $$$$ - Move from T2 to T3
  • Etc etc till you get to T4 and or beyond.
In the end a contracted unit could build up a planet from a T1 to a T4. Thus becoming as it were that’s unit’s home planet. (Heck why not even allow the unit to expand its influence in the solar system or surrounding systems.) They feel invested and apart of the BT universe beyond the battle royal rinse and repeat.

*Beyond turrets and gates I propose an Early Warning System of sorts that units can invest in.
  • EWS: with it the attacking force has to engage in one additional battle. (Simulating the defenders are mobilized to the attacker’s initial landing zone.)
  • EWS can be deployed planetary, solar system, and deep space.
  • EWS can be destroyed before making landfall on the planet or entering the system. EWS is a tier one or two engagement.
  • EWS refines the probable areas of attacks (Hurricane tracks).
  • EWS shares Intel on size (4/8/12 man drop) composition (Light, Med, Hvy, Assault) fraction (which clan/house). Allowing defenders to mobilize to areas of threat. A 4man drop can only engage in T1-T2 areas. Defenders respond accordingly. (The logistics is more of phase III CW thing)
EWS gives an additional layer of depth to CW and strengthens the strategic side of MWO. An attacking force may want to disrupt/destroy any all EWS in the area before making a large scale assault. In a sense EWS lifts the fog of war. Take it out and position your forces under the cover of FoW to insure a greater success in your attack.

Edited by Merit Lef, 11 September 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#432 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

What is the point in bidding for contracts when there are no expenses involved in fighting for a planet? Are you planning on bringing back repair and rearm for CW? Otherwise the only thing people are "bidding" on is the right to actually fight, and if there are limited matches, and fighting the matches carries its own rewards (mech discounts, greating Cbill/XP earings), expect to see Mercs bidding 0 C-bills.

This seems like a definite weak point as far as the whole Mercenary system is concerned. In lore, the idea is that the Merc corp who could get the job done with the lowest tonnage/lowest tech base would be the one who could win bids, because their expenses were so low. Having repair and re-arm for faction warfare would mean that matches would not be biased towards the teams with the most expensive, heaviest, most heavily modified, moduled, and consumabled mechs.

With repair and re-arm, you can expect to see a good amount of stock or nearly stock mechs, more balanced and lower tech builds, with much more limited and strategic use of consumables and modules. Without repair and re-arm, Faction Warfare will be the rich man's game, and you can expect that merc corps will only be allowing players with top of the line gear, a full rack of fully upgraded modules, and a full set of arty/airstrike and cool shots, auotmatically excluding new players.

Which of these scenarios will Faction warfare resemble, and why?

Edited by Postumus, 11 September 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#433 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

It occurs to me.

It probably wouldn't be on this next phase, but a posterior one could include the concepts of Planetary Raids. By this, I mean, simulate Objective Raids.

What the current phase is about is invading planets. What I suggest is stuff like :

- A lance dropping on Forest Colony, tasked with destroying an ELINT truck somewhere in the map (connected to that big radio tower), opposed by another lance... and can't lose more than, say, 2 mechs in the process.

- A company dropping on Alpine Peaks, engaging in a probing attack. They are supposed to whittle down somewhere around a third to half of the hitpoints of the defending company without taking excessive casualties.

- A lance dropping on Caustic Valley tasked with visiting a number of locations and ID'ing several targets, without losing more than one mech. Opposed by another lance.

- A company drops in the new factory map, has to take and hold one of several points in the map for an amount of time and take less than X casuaties in order to steal from the facility at a profit. Opposed by a defending company.

Degrees of success or failure could be defined based on criteria per game mode/map as well.

Now, what would this do? Well, I figure they'd contribute to planetary control as well, though to a lesser extent, and give swag to the victors. And with smaller groups being able to go on the offensive this way, it also gets CW more fun and dynamic.

#434 Quincy McAllister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 118 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

I have the following comments and questions

INTERACTIVE INNER-SPHERE MAP
It is still unclear if besides Clans and major houses also the minor periphery staes will be included as faction. I suggest to include minor periphery powerst o add further flavour tot he game.

PLANET DETAILS
Why should the Occupying Unit be shown (at least as long as it is not contested). If you include the possibility of a Recon attack you add a sense of strategy that units may first try to estimate the strength of a defender.

CONTESTED PLANETS
If contested planets are assignable only by the design team, player units have potentally limited strategic choice where to attack. Why do you restrict the assigment of contested planets tot he design team?

ENGAGING IN PLANETARY CONQUEST
If during peak player count times throughout the day only , planetary control matches will be kicked off players outside North America are potentially at a severe (time) disadvantage. It is not everybodies fun to play at 3 a.m. in the morning.

A PLAYER’S FACTION SELECTION
On the faction selection two points are important. Marik and Liao players will not have a chance to take part in the Clan versus IS battle. How are merceneries aligned to a faction? What ideas do you have on merc contracts?

PRIORITIZATION OF GROUPS
If more than one group is active in the attack ore defense of a given plant, who is reaping the benefits? What happens ifo ne unit wears down the enemy significantly but stilll is unable to finish the job and another unit next in queue finishest he job and gets the benefits?

DEFENDING TEAM QUEUE
The defending queue leads to a sginificant disadvante. When the attacker is always a team of 12 and the defender may even totally consist of lone wolfs. This disadvantages the defender.

CONTRACT DEFENDERS
The contract defender is at a disadvantage when the attacker can chose his attack and the contract defenders have only [2] minutes to respond

In addition I like to add some further suggestions in respect to CW that have not beeen mentioned so far and that I have already suggested elsewhere (http://mwomercs.com/...35#entry3346535):

Jump ships

Jump ships are needed for interstellar transport. A flexible jump ship fleet is an asset that allows for strategic interstellar mobility. I see several levels of jump ship availability: 1. made available (by house transport command), 2. rented (from jump ship operators / merchants); 3. owned. The different levels may see improving benefits, i.e. faster interstellar transport (more attacks, long distance strikes, ability to bring in reinforcements) with the ultimate tool being a very fast “pony express” jump ship system or the use of pirate points (surprise, strategic reserve of “hidden troops” (behind the far side of a moon) in a planetary attack).

Drop ships

Drop ships offer strategic mobility on a planetary scale. Drop ships can give the benefit of determining the battle zone (choice of map) depending on the mission type. They allow for a strategic surprise in connection with a jump ship using a pirate point. And they allow bringing reinforcements to the troops on the ground.

Aerospace fighters

Aerospace fighters might be able to establish space superiority together with drop ships. If space superiority is achieved a regular drop may be a potential benefit. In a regular drop a landing zone is secured and drop ships can actually land that carry certain auxiliary troops (tanks, infantry, support units, etc.). Otherwise if space superiority is not achieved only a combat drop can be made. In a combat drop only mechs could be used. As a consequence in a regular drop repair and rearm would be possible whereas in a combat drop repair & rearm would not be possible (as support troops could not be landed).
In addition aerospace fighters may be able to establish air superiority over a certain battlefield. A potential benefit of air superiority may be the ability to do strafing runs or to deny repair and rearm possibilities to the enemy (by harassing supply routes).
Drop ships and Aerospace Fighters may be available on a C-Bill basis but especially jump ships (with the very limited production facilities left in the inner sphere) should also require a certain prestige in order to be allowed to purchase such a ship.
The current setup of the game is mech focused. Thus establishing concepts of space superiority and air superiority over a certain battlefield may be a game approach different from MWO at the moment as it could only be statistical and or tactical with limited efforts put into their development. Building an aerospace fighter game that works seamlessly with MWO on the ground will probably be a long term effort.

Some strategic benefits on the supply side

Mercenaries may be able to purchase supplies from their employer. However Mercenaries doing so should have some vulnerability to the “company store syndrome”, i.e. that employer overcharge for supplies and try to run the mercenary unit into a debt. Upgrades to this could be independent house sourcing, or independent cross-house sourcing (which would however need some jump ship / merchant drop ship availability). With each step supply costs should be lower and the mercenary unit will get further away from a possible “company store syndrome”.

Shares in weapon producing companies

Mercenary units could own shares in certain weapon and or equipment producing companies earning them revenue and lower prices for goods produced by these companies. Shares could also give a benefit in reduced repair & rearm costs. Shares of mech producing companies may depend on the popularity of certain mech models in the game.

How to implement “Surprise”

Allow the party that achieves strategic surprise to move certain seconds earlier in an engagement and position them better, or to allow them to choose a spawn point.

How to implement “Strategic reserve”

Allow the party that is able to place a “strategic reserve” to add a number of mechs at the spawn point after battle has commenced.

Repair and Rearm

Repair and Rearm has definitely to find its way back into the game with community warfare. An amateur general thinks tactics, a professional general thinks logistics. A lot of military success depends on the ability to properly supply own forces and to deny supplies to enemy forces.

Benefits of special units

Special auxiliary units may be potential benefits that can be obtained. In a regular drop where these units can be brought to battle they could have the following effects.

Coolant trucks: Better heat dissipation
Repair facility: Allow repairs to varying degrees of damage (a small facility may only repair armor, whereas the high end repair facility may also be used to repair fusion engine hits). Logical consequences are different repair times for light and sever damage. Again this may be interesting in a sustained campaign, when the ability of a party to bring fresh troops into follow up battles may be decisive.
Ammunition truck: Ability to rearm
MASH: Ability to care for injured pilots. As a consequence a new status “injured” would be needed for mechs / pilots that suffered a cockpit hit.
Mobile HQ: Could have many possible advantages, e.g. the ability to relocate forces between different combat zones, advanced information warfare capabilities, etc.

Advanced economics

Instead of paying mercenary units on a C-Bill basis they could be paid on a House Bill basis (K-Bills, L-Bills, etc.) The value of the house currencies could depend on economic strength which itself would depend on some military successes (e.g. successfully defending valuable planets / production facilities). Thereby the economic success of a mercenary unit would also be indirectly tied to overall House success and not only its individual performance. This will include another element than just House prestige to the game.
The ownership of certain production facilities could have an impact on unit / equipment prices, e.g. a “Zeus” could be cheaper on the Lyran Commonwealth part of the Federated Commonwealth. The ownership of certain important planets / production facilities could also have an influence on repair and rearm costs. Maintaining a “Zeus” in Liao space is probably more expensive.

Difference between house and mercenary units

Obviously money is more important to mercenary units than to house units. However both rely on a certain prestige. Much of the monetary issues could also be implemented for house units (e.g. through a regimental budget) but the ability to get certain benefits may also be achieved in a different way by mercenary units (mainly money) and house units (mainly prestige).

Benefits of multiple mechs

Players with several personal mechs should have a certain benefit in a sustained community warfare campaign. They could be allowed to take part in multiple campaigns at the same time. They could be allowed to bring in fresh troops, if one of their other mechs is still in repair & rearm or its pilot is injured.

Sustained campaigns

Currently the game consists of single battles of mechs against each other with only some game modes which makes a perfectly fun and short game. However I could really find even more interest in a sustained campaign (e.g. for control of a planet). It would be interesting to have a system of deploying forces on a command scale to different battle areas. This could lead to uneven start positions in matches, making it necessary to withdraw, regroup, attack again. The campaign mode should take time and require rearming and maintenance. This will put some pressure on the pilots who spend all their ammunition in one battle (if cut off from rearmament…). A concept of attrition will probably also increase the value of cheaper units, when the commander has the possibility to deploy some of these cheaper forces in a sensible manner.

#435 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostPostumus, on 11 September 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

What is the point in bidding for contracts when there are no expenses involved in fighting for a planet? Are you planning on bringing back repair and rearm for CW? Otherwise the only thing people are "bidding" on is the right to actually fight, and if there are limited matches, and fighting the matches carries its own rewards (mech discounts, greating Cbill/XP earings), expect to see Mercs bidding 0 C-bills.

This seems like a definite weak point as far as the whole Mercenary system is concerned. In lore, the idea is that the Merc corp who could get the job done with the lowest tonnage/lowest tech base would be the one who could win bids, because their expenses were so low. Having repair and re-arm for faction warfare would mean that matches would not be biased towards the teams with the most expensive, heaviest, most heavily modified, moduled, and consumabled mechs.

With repair and re-arm, you can expect to see a good amount of stock or nearly stock mechs, more balanced and lower tech builds, with much more limited and strategic use of consumables and modules. Without repair and re-arm, Faction Warfare will be the rich man's game, and you can expect that merc corps will only be allowing players with top of the line gear, a full rack of fully upgraded modules, and a full set of arty/airstrike and cool shots, auotmatically excluding new players.

Which of these scenarios will Faction warfare resemble, and why?

Well the outline said there would be a bidding process, although that may change who knows.

My guess the base costs would be the costs to mount an invasion x distance or something. Maybe the costs rise if there is competition for the invasion of that planet.

If it costs creds to invade maybe the investment of creds and time (maybe this is another 3 days or so after a successfull invasion) into rebuilding the planet before it actually starts becoming profitable.

They said actual logistics of faction wars isnt coming until phase 3. So it is extremely likely that putting a garrison on a planet and maintaining it ie defense costs, will cost nothing but creds at first same with the invasion etc.

The total cost could possibly be a combination of all of the above. All a guess but that appears to make sense.

A couple questions, will it only be Merc Corps that are invading and owning planets or will it also be faction invasions of planets? Yes it is the initial drop for faction wars into Mechwarrior but I am asking about future updates.

Where do loyalty points fit in? Will they be added in phase 2?

Edited by Johnny Z, 11 September 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#436 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Apologies if I missed this earlier in the thread...

But any chance of some sort of fluidity in Drop Packs? Like giving up an assault to have 2 mediums instead of the Light? Or something else?

Personally, I'm a terrible Assault and Light pilot. Frankly, I'd be happy to stick with just Mediums and Heavies in a drop...

#437 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostQuincy McAllister, on 11 September 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

It is still unclear if besides Clans and major houses also the minor periphery staes will be included as faction. I suggest to include minor periphery powerst o add further flavour tot he game.

PLANET DETAILS
Why should the Occupying Unit be shown (at least as long as it is not contested). If you include the possibility of a Recon attack you add a sense of strategy that units may first try to estimate the strength of a defender.

CONTESTED PLANETS
If contested planets are assignable only by the design team, player units have potentally limited strategic choice where to attack. Why do you restrict the assigment of contested planets tot he design team?

If during peak player count times throughout the day only , planetary control matches will be kicked off players outside North America are potentially at a severe (time) disadvantage. It is not everybodies fun to play at 3 a.m. in the morning.

On the faction selection two points are important. Marik and Liao players will not have a chance to take part in the Clan versus IS battle. How are merceneries aligned to a faction? What ideas do you have on merc contracts?

PRIORITIZATION OF GROUPS
If more than one group is active in the attack ore defense of a given plant, who is reaping the benefits? What happens ifo ne unit wears down the enemy significantly but stilll is unable to finish the job and another unit next in queue finishest he job and gets the benefits?

DEFENDING TEAM QUEUE
The defending queue leads to a sginificant disadvante. When the attacker is always a team of 12 and the defender may even totally consist of lone wolfs. This disadvantages the defender.

CONTRACT DEFENDERS
The contract defender is at a disadvantage when the attacker can chose his attack and the contract defenders have only [2] minutes to respond

In addition I like to add some further suggestions in respect to CW that have not beeen mentioned so far and that I have already suggested elsewhere (http://mwomercs.com/...35#entry3346535):

Jump ships

Jump ships are needed for interstellar transport. A flexible jump ship fleet is an asset that allows for strategic interstellar mobility. I see several levels of jump ship availability: 1. made available (by house transport command), 2. rented (from jump ship operators / merchants); 3. owned. The different levels may see improving benefits, i.e. faster interstellar transport (more attacks, long distance strikes, ability to bring in reinforcements) with the ultimate tool being a very fast “pony express” jump ship system or the use of pirate points (surprise, strategic reserve of “hidden troops” (behind the far side of a moon) in a planetary attack).

Drop ships

Drop ships offer strategic mobility on a planetary scale. Drop ships can give the benefit of determining the battle zone (choice of map) depending on the mission type. They allow for a strategic surprise in connection with a jump ship using a pirate point. And they allow bringing reinforcements to the troops on the ground.

Aerospace fighters

Aerospace fighters might be able to establish space superiority together with drop ships. If space superiority is achieved a regular drop may be a potential benefit. In a regular drop a landing zone is secured and drop ships can actually land that carry certain auxiliary troops (tanks, infantry, support units, etc.). Otherwise if space superiority is not achieved only a combat drop can be made. In a combat drop only mechs could be used. As a consequence in a regular drop repair and rearm would be possible whereas in a combat drop repair & rearm would not be possible (as support troops could not be landed).
In addition aerospace fighters may be able to establish air superiority over a certain battlefield. A potential benefit of air superiority may be the ability to do strafing runs or to deny repair and rearm possibilities to the enemy (by harassing supply routes).
Drop ships and Aerospace Fighters may be available on a C-Bill basis but especially jump ships (with the very limited production facilities left in the inner sphere) should also require a certain prestige in order to be allowed to purchase such a ship.
The current setup of the game is mech focused. Thus establishing concepts of space superiority and air superiority over a certain battlefield may be a game approach different from MWO at the moment as it could only be statistical and or tactical with limited efforts put into their development. Building an aerospace fighter game that works seamlessly with MWO on the ground will probably be a long term effort.

Mercenaries may be able to purchase supplies from their employer. However Mercenaries doing so should have some vulnerability to the “company store syndrome”, i.e. that employer overcharge for supplies and try to run the mercenary unit into a debt. Upgrades to this could be independent house sourcing, or independent cross-house sourcing (which would however need some jump ship / merchant drop ship availability). With each step supply costs should be lower and the mercenary unit will get further away from a possible “company store syndrome”.

Mercenary units could own shares in certain weapon and or equipment producing companies earning them revenue and lower prices for goods produced by these companies. Shares could also give a benefit in reduced repair & rearm costs. Shares of mech producing companies may depend on the popularity of certain mech models in the game.

Allow the party that achieves strategic surprise to move certain seconds earlier in an engagement and position them better, or to allow them to choose a spawn point.

Allow the party that is able to place a “strategic reserve” to add a number of mechs at the spawn point after battle has commenced.

Repair and Rearm

Repair and Rearm has definitely to find its way back into the game with community warfare. An amateur general thinks tactics, a professional general thinks logistics. A lot of military success depends on the ability to properly supply own forces and to deny supplies to enemy forces.

Special auxiliary units may be potential benefits that can be obtained. In a regular drop where these units can be brought to battle they could have the following effects.

Repair facility: Allow repairs to varying degrees of damage (a small facility may only repair armor, whereas the high end repair facility may also be used to repair fusion engine hits). Logical consequences are different repair times for light and sever damage. Again this may be interesting in a sustained campaign, when the ability of a party to bring fresh troops into follow up battles may be decisive.
MASH: Ability to care for injured pilots. As a consequence a new status “injured” would be needed for mechs / pilots that suffered a cockpit hit.
Mobile HQ: Could have many possible advantages, e.g. the ability to relocate forces between different combat zones, advanced information warfare capabilities, etc.

Advanced economics

Instead of paying mercenary units on a C-Bill basis they could be paid on a House Bill basis (K-Bills, L-Bills, etc.) The value of the house currencies could depend on economic strength which itself would depend on some military successes (e.g. successfully defending valuable planets / production facilities). Thereby the economic success of a mercenary unit would also be indirectly tied to overall House success and not only its individual performance. This will include another element than just House prestige to the game.
The ownership of certain production facilities could have an impact on unit / equipment prices, e.g. a “Zeus” could be cheaper on the Lyran Commonwealth part of the Federated Commonwealth. The ownership of certain important planets / production facilities could also have an influence on repair and rearm costs. Maintaining a “Zeus” in Liao space is probably more expensive.

Obviously money is more important to mercenary units than to house units. However both rely on a certain prestige. Much of the monetary issues could also be implemented for house units (e.g. through a regimental budget) but the ability to get certain benefits may also be achieved in a different way by mercenary units (mainly money) and house units (mainly prestige).

Players with several personal mechs should have a certain benefit in a sustained community warfare campaign. They could be allowed to take part in multiple campaigns at the same time. They could be allowed to bring in fresh troops, if one of their other mechs is still in repair & rearm or its pilot is injured.

Sustained campaigns

Currently the game consists of single battles of mechs against each other with only some game modes which makes a perfectly fun and short game. However I could really find even more interest in a sustained campaign (e.g. for control of a planet). It would be interesting to have a system of deploying forces on a command scale to different battle areas. This could lead to uneven start positions in matches, making it necessary to withdraw, regroup, attack again. The campaign mode should take time and require rearming and maintenance. This will put some pressure on the pilots who spend all their ammunition in one battle (if cut off from rearmament…). A concept of attrition will probably also increase the value of cheaper units, when the commander has the possibility to deploy some of these cheaper forces in a sensible manner.

this is great post but . I doubt we will ever see the elements you mentioned here. it will take them too long to implement

#438 Merit Lef

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

What he said…

View PostQuincy McAllister, on 11 September 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

PLANET DETAILS
CONTESTED PLANETS
PRIORITIZATION OF GROUPS
DEFENDING TEAM QUEUE
CONTRACT DEFENDERS
Jump ships
Drop ships
Aerospace fighters
Repair and Rearm
Advanced economics
Sustained campaigns

#439 Cellinor

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Will you be posting a list of mechs available for each Faction. While I have mechs in each weight group I don't know if I have my faction mechs in each weight group.

#440 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostCellinor, on 11 September 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Will you be posting a list of mechs available for each Faction. While I have mechs in each weight group I don't know if I have my faction mechs in each weight group.

If it's an IS mech, you can use it if you belong in any IS faction. If it's a Clan mech, you can use if you belong to any Clan faction.

Yes, it's been said and it is that simple. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users