• 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

I cannot find a single config I like. I have tried:

2 UAC5/2ERML
2LPL/2ERML/2mg
3xLRM15
LBX20/2ml/2mg

Any other configs I am missing or is this just a terrible mech as I had assumed (which is why I left it for last to master...)

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

CLRM15 + Quad CSRM6 + Dual AMS. Use LRM only to get assists and SRMs for full frontal ***********. Dual AMS will help you against LRMs when your team advances and when you expose yourself to brawl.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ae5aba0ea08698

Very simple but effective config.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 September 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#3 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

PPC + LBX-20 for Prime has worked for me so far.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

I've enjoyed 2 ERPPC/2MG, four ERLL, and 2 LBX5s plus 4ERML. Works better if I pretend I'm in Medium instead of a heavy.

Got my ass kicked by a Summoner with like 5 SRM6s so I might have to try that.

#5 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

I leveled mine with ACs in the nipples. The high mounts were great for ridge cresting/humping.

#6 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

Yes its that bad when compared to the best mech in the game.

It doesn't have endo. It is not 35/55/75/100 tons. It can't mount ECM. It doesn't have some form of special geometry that gives it great hardpoint positions or lets it protect its hitboxes effectively.

Those are the four criteria for being a good mech in MWO.

Summoner is 0/4, 1/4 at best. (As you can see Dracol makes an argument that it qualifies for hardpoint positions w/ the right build).

Its just not going to be great. Ever. Arguably its worse than the 'phract after all the clan weapon nerfs but I'd say they are basically balanced.

We need BV or we need tonnage counts to matter or we need Endo and FF to have some kind of logistical disadvantage otherwise this is just the way things are going to be.

Just wait until the Vulture is released and its **** because it can only at best get 1/4 and there isn't a reason to think those arms are going to be high mounted enough to be good.

Edited by Hoax415, 16 September 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#7 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

ERPPC, LRM15, 2x MLAS - Dropped the LBX for 2 MLAS and extra armour, heatsinks, lurms and a TC3. Less finishing power for sure, but altering the prime loadout like this enhances it in all the other important places.

#8 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

It suffers from a lack of Endo, combined with limited hardpoints. It could really use some quirks to help it shine - at the moment, it can't really out shoot a Stormcrow, which is 15 tons lighter and 16 kph faster.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

Yes its bad no matter how you sugar coat it. It's a medium mech in a heavy body.

#10 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

There really is nothing the Summoner can do that the Timberwolf can't do better. I always hear the argument: "well if you put the max jump jets in the timberwolf..." But the point is that you don't want max jump jets.

That being said, there ARE some Summoner builds that will work. Try to take advantage of some of it's strong points:

1) Dual AMS.
2) Jump Jets and mobility (it's good for PPC, LB Autocannons, and SRMs jump and shoot or shoot and twist).
3) High mounted Ballistic hardpoints on both shoulders.
4) It's not a Vindicator

Edited by Tastian, 16 September 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#11 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

There's a few builds you can get by with, but it definitely needs some love. In particular, the jumps need to be removable...or they need to provide better mobility than they do in this chassis.

#12 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 16 September 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Got my ass kicked by a Summoner with like 5 SRM6s so I might have to try that.

That's exatly one of my config.

the other ones:

ultra ac20 + 4 ml

4 erll (worked better before nerf)

And, yes, you must pretend to run a medium.

#13 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

It's not a Timberwolf, that's for sure. That said, I do enjoy my Summoner's (I have the prime and the D... love that D), and still play them regularly despite having Timbergods as well.

They key to playing the summoner, IMHO, is knowing its role. It doesn't have the firepower (pod space) to be a front-line heavy. It isn't going to be the mech to lead the charge and break through an enemy position, or at least it isn't the ideal mech. What it does excel at is support.

My two variants that I use with pretty decent success are as follows:

Prime: 2 erML, UAC10 (3 tons ammo), LRM15 (2 tons of ammo).
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66be98bb5599d24

It gets the job done. Use the LRM's at the start of the game when everyone is just LRMing to soften up targets, and to support your main weapons as well once the real fight starts. The UAC10/ERML combo is pretty solid, especially if you can find a target that's fixated on someone else (like, a madcat, or a daishi for example).

The other build I use is a mini-timberwolf.
SMN-D: 2 erLL, 2 erML, LRM15 (2 tons ammo), Targeting Comp 1.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5fcac7e7e6556f8

It plays like a mini-madcat in almost every way, which is to say the real madcat is better... but it works.

Anyways those are the two non-meta builds I've found to work best for me. Hope it helps.

#14 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 September 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

Yes its bad no matter how you sugar coat it. It's a medium mech in a heavy body.

4xERML, 1xUAC20, 1xSRM4/6 works reasonably well -- but you absolutely do need to play it like a medium. It may "look" like a 70-ton brawler built this way, but the problem boils down to having to put the ammo somewhere... and when you have your legs, head and all but 1 CT slot already filled (as well as the torso you've crammed the UAC20 into), there's really not a lot of guesswork to figure out where to shoot you. Lose either side torso and you're done.

IF the Summoner could fit more than one missile slot in the torsos or had an option to carry more lightweight energy weaponry, you'd have ways to make it competitive. As it is now though, it's lack of hardpoints and low available tonnage really do hurt it compared to other clan mechs (and IS ones too).

#15 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

The summoner has no endo steel, and 5 tons of fixed jjs. Also 14 engine heat sinks.

Therefore, it has low free tonnage.

Mech with low free tonnage do best with energy weapons. Especially if they have extra heat sinks.

Sadly, the summoners energy weapons are all in the easily destroyed arms.

It doesn't need info or removable heat sinks. It needs torso energy slots. Put a laser or ppc where the machine guns go, and you have a viable mech.

#16 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

I have one with 4MedLas and 2 LB-2-X that, while not great, maintains an even KDR and has a positive Win Ratio. It's not as bad as the forums will tell you, because the forum loves hyperbole - but it definitely punches below it's weight.

#17 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

my Summoner
3-erll
1-machinegun
Lrm10
AMS
TC-1

#18 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

FIVE STREAK6!

thank me later

#19 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Don't forget to put armor on the legs. They're very weak if you don't add armor there. First thing I shoot at, just in case the other guy hadn't done that.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

UAC20/Gauss in the torso, 4 ERMLs, ammo.

That one is reasonable. You could also go SRM18 and a UAC10, but that's ammo limited and short ranged.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users