#41 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostAppogee, on 29 September 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Kind of ironic, given the way you and Buddah are liking each other's narky posts.

But hey, you do whatever turns you on. I just thought I'd post a remarkable score for the interest of other players.

I like things I find funny thats all. - and he liked ONE of my posts lol

Your replies here are showing you were just looking to trollpost.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 29 September 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#42 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

AHOY MATEYS!!

Posted Image

#43 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostSI The Joker, on 29 September 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

AHOY MATEYS!!

And another who doesn't realise it's not my score.

Oh well, at least you went to the trouble of posting a gif, thanks.

#44 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostSI The Joker, on 29 September 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

AHOY MATEYS!!

Posted Image

ROFL :lol:

#45 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

I updated the original post with CAPITAL LETTERS and BOLD FONTS for the benefit of the comprehension challenged.

#46 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 September 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Oh riiiight... Now my correcting people who completely missed key aspects of my original post shows that my motivation was "trollposting"...

I for one find it FASCINATING and AMAZING all of the terrible negative motivations I apparently had while posting another player's remarkable score for the interest of fellow players, and then responding to the two pages of people who just didn't get the signifance of that other player's achievement.

But thank you for all these interesting theories. While they actually have nothing to do with the thread, I'm sure they're entertaining to the apparent subset of the playerbase who feel compelled to find bad intentions in everyone else's posts.

#47 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostAppogee, on 29 September 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

I updated the original post with CAPITAL LETTERS and BOLD FONTS for the benefit of the comprehension challenged.

:huh: I understand fully that it wasn't your score bud... and it wasn't directed at you per say (maybe in a roundabout way if you really find it impressive that a DW pulls a score like that) but it's just a general thing.

C'mon man... that was a great image! Admit it! :D

#48 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 September 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Posted Image
You are wrong sorry.

#49 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostSI The Joker, on 29 September 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

C'mon man... that was a great image! Admit it! :D

Sure, I saved it for future use :)

Edited by Appogee, 29 September 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#50 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

It is fascinating how text differs so much from vocal or face-to-face interactions/communication. People will have a tendency to read anything in whichever tone they wish, rather than the tone it was intended as, whereas in actual speech, simply by vocal inflections they'd be able to surmise your feelings on a matter more clearly.

This reminds me of how bad a lot of forums I've been on were back in the day, when literally anything said could be taken out of context, twisted, and viewed from the completely wrong perspective.

Also, I've noticed mood has a lot to do with how people perceive a given written statement. For instance, someone just read several posts that already put them in a poor mood, then reads your post, completely misinterprets the intent behind it, and due to their already poor mood, immediately assumes the most negative connotations, and dives in headlong.

(sorry for the off-topic, I just happened to notice the social/psychological aspects of this thread)

#51 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

I can almost guarantee they were deathballing. If everyone moves with you and focuses your damage then you can just corner the enemy and shred through them and keep going, maximizing your damage and the ability ridiculous amounts in a short period. Also, I doubt the numbers would be that much better/worse if the match would have lasted longer. If I had to bet, they wouldn't of been so good because of fewer targets. He had optimal conditions.

None one ever posts the matches of a Dire who gets cored from behind by a light on Crimson Strait on his way to the tunnel while the rest of their team has left them behind, doing under 100 damage within the first minute of the fight.

Or being LRM'd to death on Tourmaline because you can't make it to cover fast enough if you get the one garbage spawn point. Or on Alpine when you're the last one trucking it up the base side of the ridge and the lights are chipping at you the entire time from heights you can't aim up. How about Caustic when you have to stand so far back because your low-slung weapons or because you get stuck on every grain of terrain.

These are my experiences. I'm also terrible tho. In any event ya, a Direwolf can do a lot of damage when the stars align. Or be completely gimped. I have dozen's of very quick, high number matches... and I've had plenty where I'm killed off before I can turn quick enough to do any damage.

Edited by Moonlander, 29 September 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#52 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostMoonlander, on 29 September 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

INone one ever posts the matches of a Dire who gets cored from behind by a light on Crimson Strait on his way to the tunnel while the rest of their team has left them behind, doing under 100 damage within the first minute of the fight.

Heh. I had a few 200 damage matches in a Dire Wolf tonight ... including incidentally as part of the losing team in that screenshot I posted.

I did have one 1130 point damage match tonight, though it took me 9 minutes and it still wasn't enough to carry the team to victory :(

#53 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostMoonlander, on 29 September 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

I can almost guarantee they were deathballing. If everyone moves with you and focuses your damage then you can just corner the enemy and shred through them and keep going, maximizing your damage and the ability ridiculous amounts in a short period. Also, I doubt the numbers would be that much better/worse if the match would have lasted longer. If I had to bet, they wouldn't of been so good because of fewer targets. He had optimal conditions.

None one ever posts the matches of a Dire who gets cored from behind by a light on Crimson Strait on his way to the tunnel while the rest of their team has left them behind, doing under 100 damage within the first minute of the fight.

Or being LRM'd to death on Tourmaline because you can't make it to cover fast enough if you get the one garbage spawn point. Or on Alpine when you're the last one trucking it up the base side of the ridge and the lights are chipping at you the entire time from heights you can't aim up. How about Caustic when you have to stand so far back because your low-slung weapons or because you get stuck on every grain of terrain.

These are my experiences. I'm also terrible tho. In any event ya, a Direwolf can do a lot of damage when the stars align. Or be completely gimped. I have dozen's of very quick, high number matches... and I've had plenty where I'm killed off before I can turn quick enough to do any damage.

This is the only game I know of where teamwork is looked at in a negative light

IE "deathballing"

#54 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 September 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

This is the only game I know of where teamwork is looked at in a negative light

IE "deathballing"

I think it's incredibly affective. It's just hard for people to not wander off on their own. When I'm on a light/medium/heavy, there's not a single time I haven't watched the back of our slower Assaults and stayed with them. Is it not smart to stick with the mechs with the most firepower, shooing off pesky lights and providing support fire, which combined with theirs, will guarantee a dead or severely damaged mech? It would in turn, also boost their own damage because the lack of having to seek cover and the ability to continuously fire at the enemy.

Edited by Moonlander, 29 September 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#55 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

Deathballing + focus fire is probably the single best strategy for winning.

However, even when my team deathballs against a HoL+BS team, we still lose. I suspect the difference is not just that they have more accurate players, but also, that they're prioritising targets in a coordinated way.

Or maybe they have a drop commander designating targets some matches.

#56 Cpt Mooney

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

the fact that 99% the people here dont get that this is a "nerf direwhales thread" is shocking, to say the least.
allmost as shocking as the fact that pgi introduced them as they are now, after the boating/poptarting meta was dealt with.
does that proove einstein right? or is it all a big government conspiracy?
...who knows... ~~

#57 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostAppogee, on 29 September 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Tonight I witnessed another player do 1096 damage, in only 2 minutes and 32 seconds, which included the 30 to 40 seconds it took his Dire Wolf to walk from the spawn point to the first point where he could see the enemy.

Posted Image

Most impressive.

EDIT: In response to the genuinely REMARKABLE level of misunderstanding this simple well-intended post has created in the first three pages of responses, I am going to reiterate some of its key aspects IN CAPITAL LETTERS for the comprehension disadvantaged.

1. The 1000 point score was achieved IN TWO MINUTES. Yes, you've all had 1000 point games and that's not remarkable. Yes, you can score 1000+ in a Dire Wolf. That's not remarkable, either. What's actually remarkable is that this particular score was achieved in TWO MINUTES. Once again, it's the TWO MINUTES part which makes this unusual from all the other 1000 point games you've personally achieved or seen.

2. This ISN'T MY SCORE. This is ANOTHER PLAYER'S SCORE. Because it's NOT MY SCORE, I'm not boasting. I didn't achieve this score. It is SOMEONE'S ELSE'S SCORE.

3. I posted this scored only because I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING. I thought YOU MIGHT FIND IT INTERESTING TOO. I have no problem with the score. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING and that YOU MIGHT FIND IT INTERESTING TOO. That's all.

I trust this assists.

He's a great player. Far better than 99.9% of this community can conceive.

OP mech? OP strategy? OP team? OP .... something????

No, just OP SKILL.

#ggclose

#58 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostCpt Mooney, on 29 September 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

the fact that 99% the people here dont get that this is a "nerf direwhales thread" is shocking, to say the least.

Ummm. This isn't a nerf Dire Whales thread. I do happen to agree with you that Dire Whales are highly powered, but you can have really bad games in them, and really good ones. Maybe they could be nerfed a little more in the torso twisting.

Hopefully the King Crab will add a little more balance to the IS vs Clan matches to come.

#59 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostAppogee, on 29 September 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

EDIT: In response to the genuinely REMARKABLE level of misunderstanding this simple well-intended post has created in the first three pages of responses, I am going to reiterate some of its key aspects IN CAPITAL LETTERS for the comprehension disadvantaged.

1. The 1000 point score was achieved IN TWO MINUTES. Yes, you've all had 1000 point games and that's not remarkable. Yes, you can score 1000+ in a Dire Wolf. That's not remarkable, either. What's actually remarkable is that this particular score was achieved in TWO MINUTES. Once again, it's the TWO MINUTES part which makes this unusual from all the other 1000 point games you've personally achieved or seen.

2. This ISN'T MY SCORE. This is ANOTHER PLAYER'S SCORE. Because it's NOT MY SCORE, I'm not boasting. I didn't achieve this score. It is SOMEONE'S ELSE'S SCORE.

3. I posted this scored only because I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING. I thought YOU MIGHT FIND IT INTERESTING TOO. I have no problem with the score. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING and that YOU MIGHT FIND IT INTERESTING TOO. That's all.

I trust this assists.

So you got a good match and wanted to brag.

What'd you do, MS Paint someone else's name in for yours? :P

#60 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 29 September 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

So you got a good match and wanted to brag. What'd you do, MS Paint someone else's name in for yours? :P

LOL, for a split second there I actually thought you could be serious LOL.

View PostE N E R G Y, on 29 September 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

No, just OP SKILL.

That's how I'd characterise it, too. But this was an exceptional game in terms of damage per second, which is why I posted it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users