It's Not Too Late, Vote For The Grasshopper.

BattleMechs

132 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

If you already voted for the Black Knight, please reconsider your vote.

http://mwomercs.com/...eavy-mech-poll/

Take off those rose colored glasses and see the Black Knight for what it really is--a cousin to the AWS-8Q. An energy spamming mech should ideally have Jump Jets to help control where it fights, to pull off snapshots, and that means the Grasshopper is better choice.
*The biggest reason why the 70 ton CTF-3D is Tier 1 while 75 ton Orion is Tier 4 is because of jump jets.
5 ton difference means crap in comparison.

Should PGI derp on the mech size/hitbox and the upcoming Heavy is not XL friendly, it is also better to have the Grasshopper with CT slot so at least it can zombie better than the Black Knight.

Hell, even Sarna says it.

With great mobility and a predominately shorter-ranged, energy-based weaponry, the Grasshopper proved itself during the First Succession War. The 'Mech's ground speed of 64.8 km/h was augmented by four Leviathan Lifter jump jets, one pair in each leg, giving it a jumping capability of one hundred and twenty meters. Revolutionary for its time, the appearance of a heavy 'Mech with the mobility of a lighter design caused a change in tactics; the Grasshopper became known for using surprise and speed to appear suddenly in the midst of a tightly-packed lance, a devastating situation should the enemy lack short-ranged weapons themselves. The use of twenty-two heat sinks also gave it superior heat dissipation rates compared to other heavy 'Mechs, while its low dependence on ammunition allowed the Grasshopper to operate away from established supply lines for extended periods of time. Though it could be outgunned by other 'Mechs of similar tonnage, the combination of its mobility and thirteen tons of standard armor allowed the Grasshopper to at least inflict significant damage before being forced to withdraw. Finally, mounting its primary weapon in its center torso meant the Grasshopper remained combat-capable despite suffering crippling damage, including losing both arms, leading many to classify it as a "zombie" 'Mech.

*Edit* Seems people have a couple of misconceptions about the Grasshopper. Let me put your mind at ease.

1. JJs will take up unnecessary weight and slots for DHS, making the Grasshopper run too hot.

Actually, you can run Laser boat GHR with all four JJs and can still have good heat efficiency. Here is my build experimented on the CTF-1X.

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 October 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

I'll use CTF 1X as an example. Imagine one of the ERLL/LPL is in the CT and JJs are represented by AMS ammo, and SRM4 + ammo is represented by AC5 ammo. I am using 280 engine since it is the default engine rating for the GHR. I am also subtracting 3% heat efficiency from what is shown in Smurfy since the 1X cannot equip SRM4, and SRM4 requires heat.

Keep in mind that the SRM 4 is completely optional and with CT slot, the GHR can still zombie far better than the BK even without SRM4.

The Laser Hopper

2 ERLL + 3 ML + SRM4 + 1 ton ammo + 4 JJs. 44% heat efficiency. Runs very cool.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...665a9d50a9cd712

The PPC Hopper.

2 PPC + 3 ML+ SRM4 + 1 ton ammo + 4 JJs. 34% heat efficiency. Plenty manageable.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aeeab39f88e46dc

The Wub Hopper.

2 LPL + 3 MPL + SRM4 + 1 ton ammo + 4 JJs. 37% heat efficiency. Plenty manageable.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a519e88a8a76b97

2. Grasshopper will be DoA if came with bad hit box.

Actually it is the Black Knight that is going to be DoA if the hit boxes are bad. As for the Grasshopper:

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 October 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

As a loooong time Catapult pilot, I can assure you that jump jets can indeed save you from bad hit boxes--for there is almost no CT and cockpit larger than that of the Catapult, and Cats cannot use arms to shield the CT. Large body frame WILL kill the Bad Knight, but the Grasshopper can survive--in the hands of people who knows how to use JJs.

Vote for the Grasshopper. At least that mech has a chance to appear in serious matches.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 October 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#2 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

I heard that the Black Knight has a quirk so it can survive with all of its limbs removed.

Edited by FupDup, 03 October 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#3 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 October 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

I heard that the Black Knight has a quirk so it can survive with all of its limbs removed.

That's more useless than a de-eared A1. How is it going to win? Harsh language? :P

Edited by El Bandito, 03 October 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#4 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 October 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

That's more useless than a de-eared A1. How is it going to win? Harsh language? :P

At that point I'd call it a draw! :D

#5 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Grasshopper +1!
I'm on it B)

#6 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Ill just let the people who like heavy mech vote. Im waiting for a light poll.

#7 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostFunkadelic Mayhem, on 03 October 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Ill just let the people who like heavy mech vote. Im waiting for a light poll.

There will be no poll for lights it has already been decided that it is the Urbanmech. ;)

#8 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 03 October 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

There will be no poll for lights it has already been decided that it is the Urbanmech. ;)

Two weeks after the UBM is released there will be a thread titled, "How come we never see any Urbanmechs?"

Outside of use as a BV-filler the urbanmech is trash on TT, it would be even worse in MWO, and what used to be a joke has been blown way out of proportions by a user-base that spams too many memes.

#9 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

I Support all Bug-Named Mechs.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 03 October 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Two weeks after the UBM is released there will be a thread titled, "How come we never see any Urbanmechs?"

Outside of use as a BV-filler the urbanmech is trash on TT, it would be even worse in MWO, and what used to be a joke has been blown way out of proportions by a user-base that spams too many memes.

Hopefully our Piranha overlords would try to tweak the mech to be at worst a viable troll mech. I didn't listen to all of the town hall, but this was brought up and Russ mentioned that they could tweak the engine limit and other stuff (within reason, i.e. don't make the Urbie as fast as a Spider but still let it go at tolerable speeds).

#11 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Seems someone has their panties in a bunch... Can you honestly say that if they put out a light poll that included the urbanmech it wouldn't win by a margin somewhere in the vicinity of everyone else but you and maybe 3 other people? You may not like the mech, but a lot of people want it regardless of its quality and the devs would have to be brain dead not to capitalize on it.

#12 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

My C-LB-20X-AC (two-three tons of ammo) and three medium lasers, with almost full armor and stock engine disagree with the Urbanmech being "trash".

Solaris seemed to love it, cause none of the other Light Mechs could put up a fight.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 03 October 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

My C-LB-20X-AC (two-three tons of ammo) and three medium lasers, with almost full armor and stock engine disagree with the Urbanmech being "trash".

Solaris seemed to love it, cause none of the other Light Mechs could put up a fight.

The UrbanMech's stock engine is illegal in MWO. The game is incapable, in its current iteration, of handling an engine as miserably useless as the UrbanMech's.

Even beyond that, at this point I feel like releasing the UrbanMech would be doing the thing a disservice. How would it continue to be one of the forum's biggest memes if it ended up as just another 'Mech on the pile?

#14 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

No!

#15 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 October 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Blood. It will bleed on you.

#16 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

Neither are very good choices, both will need some hardpoint inflation.

All variants are nearly identical.

HammerHands would have been nicer, a 75 tonner with Dakka and JJs.

#17 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 03 October 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yeah I would have preferred the hammer hands.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 03 October 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Inflating the BK's hardpoints doesn't seem likely. It already starts out with 8. Do you remember what happened to the Battlemaster variants that got more than 8 hardpoints? Agility giganerfs. :(

#19 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

So what? People want it. They could easily implement it as hero-only with a fixed engine that you can't buy otherwise and people would still buy it.

#20 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

But I want a heavy that's good, not a fatter quickdraw with a worthless face missile.

So black knight it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users