122 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hey everyone,

With today's release of the 344.48 driver set across a wide range of the NVIDIA GPU line (including a DX11 SLI profile for MWO), it would be excellent if anyone who had been experiencing screen freezes under the previous driver sets could provide me with some feedback on their performance under the latest set.

I strongly recommend running a manual install of these drivers (as opposed to updating through GeForce Experience), ensuring that you select the Custom install -> Perform a clean installation options.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

11/04 Update: NVIDIA rolled out 344.60 earlier today, and after some early reports this release might have improved some of these issues.

#2 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

OMG!! finally one the DX11 + SLI!!!!!

I will give some feedback on that once my internet comes back and I download the driver.

fingers crossed and thanks to you and nvidia!

#3 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

Somebody wanted feedback with the New WHQL driver so here I have some.

i5-4670k at 4.5ghz
16gb ram
EVGA GTX 780
All settings Very High with Post AA - 1080p

Canyon Network
Max fps - 145
Lowest fps - 40

The game still dips to 40fps sometimes but it's only during firefights. I think it's a cpu issue still since doing stuff like DSR doesn't effect the overall average fps ingame.

I'll update my post if I get a screenfreeze at any point today.

Edited by August55, 22 October 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#4 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 22 October 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Hey everyone,

With today's release of the 344.48 driver set across a wide range of the NVIDIA GPU line (including a DX11 SLI profile for MWO), it would be excellent if anyone who had been experiencing screen freezes under the previous driver sets could provide me with some feedback on their performance under the latest set.

I strongly recommend running a manual install of these drivers (as opposed to updating through GeForce Experience), ensuring that you select the Custom install -> Perform a clean installation options.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Any news on Crossfire? When you first mentioned SLI you used to mention Crossfire with it and now you just say SLI is coming. Could we have a clear answer if amd users are being left out?

#5 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Greetings all,

With reference to this new set of Nvidia drivers and the SLI being now available for MWO.

- Does this also mean that the SLI 'switch' within the game is now 'ON'?
- Or are we looking at a Hot Patch to have SLI turned on for MWO?

Last info that was delivered 'from Karl' was they were waiting on Nvidia to release the update drivers before they turned on the SLI. Is this now on or still off? Was it included in the last patch?

9erRed

#6 Vercinaigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

Still getting massive framedrops with sli enabled. I get as much as 50% LESS FPS on the minimum, but obviously as much as twice maximum FPS. This variance also is backed up by massive variance in frametime (As high as 90ms) at as high as 90FPS, which makes it even worse than it says, overall, totally unusable.

updated with recorded frametime.

Edited by Vercinaigh, 23 October 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#7 One of Little Harmony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

I have a 4770k with 780's in SLI and my fps really didn't improve much at all with the new drivers. Is there a way to test if your SLI is working?

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

OK. Followed your advice, and at least tonight, I have had flawless performance, No freezes, no CTD or Pure Function Calls. One night is a little short for empirical evidence of course.

#9 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Aaaaand now I have to go buy another video card. Excuse me while my bank account slaps me across the face.

Also, remember folks: as has been stated many, MANY times before- the game is MUCH more CPU bound than GPU bound.

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

Had a screen-freeze for the first time eva a few hours ago: It fixed it's self in ~2 seconds, but it was a new experience …

#11 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yes, I still have screen pauses - Which I think has more to do with hard drive "hitching" than GPU.

#12 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostOne of Little Harmony, on 22 October 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

I have a 4770k with 780's in SLI and my fps really didn't improve much at all with the new drivers. Is there a way to test if your SLI is working?

Download Gpu-z and run two instances, one set to each card, it should tell you, and give the usage % of each card.

#13 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

It does take some cleaning out, i'm looking at you shaders folder. and a lot of stuffing with settings to get dx11 running as smooth as dx9 on a single card. So in short I now can run 2 cards at 60-80% on dx11 with same eye candy. There is some CPU limits in there i think, and from what a mate was saying(with a much more ubber setup than mine(aka 3 months old)) its that steam and upclose particle stuff. Is this being done on the CPU by chance?

On a side note I have a real issue with the water....and for the life of me I can't remember my dx9 settings that got rid of it. I'm talking 1/2 to 1/10 fps when looking at water. I had poked lots into the profile for the dx9 not just the mwo settings.

I mean guys it should not be this hard to run a game....should it? My other games, settings = ultra, then play. done.
If this was not battletech/mechwarrior well you know how the rest goes.

#14 PaladinCrow

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGeorgia USA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:11 AM

Performance seem to have increased. The only issue I can see is a slight shadow flicker in the mechlab. (This is only in the mechlab). Other than that great job :D

As far as screen pauses they have seemed to have mostly disappeared

Edited by thakillaposse42, 23 October 2014 - 05:12 AM.

#15 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

Finally a night without a screen freeze. Lets see how today goes.

So far so good : i5 760@4.1, gtx580

#16 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

So far with SLI

no freezes but I didn't have that issue before

flickering in mech lab with SLI enabled
some flicking in the water at times but not a lot and not all the time.

DX11+SLI+Ver high settings actually lowers FPS quite a bit over what it had before.

DX11 now works great and things no longer disappear (THANK YOU!)

no AA on, everything set at high.

Edited by Bigbacon, 23 October 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#17 5cout

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

View Postthakillaposse42, on 23 October 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

Performance seem to have increased. The only issue I can see is a slight shadow flicker in the mechlab. (This is only in the mechlab). Other than that great job :D

As far as screen pauses they have seemed to have mostly disappeared

That flickler you are talking about crawled over into my gameplay, have any suggestions? I am running a gtx 690

#18 JadeLord

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I have this flickering too. It diappears when moving camera focus and when I stay still sometimes I can see shadow picture of mechbay. I switched back to DX9, DX11 is totally unplayable for me now.

GTX590, before last drivers installation I had ~40fps, now ~50 and flickering =(.

#19 Logen Ninefingers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 127 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

With a GTX 690 and 3 monitors I can now see flickering in the UI (a little on my mechs) and in game (looks like a thunderstorm when moving around)....

Edit:
On training grounds caustic I've seen my mechlab in those flicker images and after returning to the mechlab my cockpit was still visible as a ghost image.

Edited by Kottlewski, 23 October 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#20 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

Alrighty, so as is clear from this thread and others, the SLI Profile introduced with the 344.48 driver set is not fully optimized. We're communicating with NVIDIA to iron these issues out.

As for the more general issues (CTD, screen freezes, etc), it looks like a portion of those have been resolved, which is great. Furthermore, this driver set combined with the PostAA fix has led to some considerable FPS boosts for some players, which is great in italics.

I'll be tackling and communicating on the more persistent issues as soon as I can. Thank you very much for the feedback so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users