#41 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

Everything was responded above, so just welcome on the board man. +++

Edited by DrSlamastika, 28 October 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#42 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts
  • LocationDenmark -Northern Europe

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 28 October 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

For the record lol the 25 damage was for that one match where I panicked and got caught out in the middle of a crossfire. Since then my damage was between 150 to 400. I earned the achievement for assists with assaults and one for getting more than 5 assists in a match just by playing flank guard for my lrm mates. I definitely will be watching the videos later today. Thanks again bud.

I have only used the trial Victor and haven't had a chance to change the weapon groups. Which Victor would you recommend I buy? If you don't mind. I almost have enough to buy one but I am torn.

You're progressing fast now. Already you know where you frag up and what to do. Knowing your limits is the key thing here and stickining with the big guys can be very helpful for both of you. About buying a mech now... I would wait till I had more of an idea about what class and mech type I would persue first. Ive spend way too many hours barking up the wrong trees, thrown my creds after a mech I didnt know anything of besides "it looks cool" only to find that it didnt suit my playstyle at all. But then again... perhabs that how you learn about the different mechs?!

#43 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

Thanks. I have been following alot of Atlas DDC mechs and I am impressed with them.....I will take your advice and hold onto my c-bills. I plan on waiting until I get paid for all of the cadet bonuses. Before I buy ANYTHING. I like the maneuverability of the Victor compared with the Atlas though.

Edited for dumb spelling errors.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 28 October 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#44 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hmm . . my advice is - buy your first mech as soon as you can.

Because from that moment you will be able to change the load up and using a skills ( maybe this you can do also in trials, I don't really know. ) "Victors" at all are not a bad choice.

Working in your mechlab it's like another mini game. You must love it :) I love this uncounted choices of loads for every mech.

But you should try a smurfis web:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

Its good for saving a money and good helper. . . .

Edited by DrSlamastika, 28 October 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#45 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

DrSlamastika is right... The building process is just as fun (sometime more fun) than the game. Smufy is the way to go and an early start with some cheap mech series as the Hunchback or Centurion might be a good way to learn that...

#46 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hunchbacks are cool looking and fast. I fought a couple of those trying to flank us. The Centurion has a freaking mohawk! Hmm.....loaded question though, which would you choose for a first mech? I have only used the Victor since there are relatively few trial mechs right now. Thought about trying the trial Shadow Hawk next. Yeah, I am unsure about blowing the c-bills in the wrong direction.

#47 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hmm, which one first, is hard question. . . What kind of guns do you like?

I think for begining is good something from HEAVY or MEDIUM class.

Edited by DrSlamastika, 28 October 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#48 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 28 October 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Hunchbacks are cool looking and fast. I fought a couple of those trying to flank us. The Centurion has a freaking mohawk! Hmm.....loaded question though, which would you choose for a first mech? I have only used the Victor since there are relatively few trial mechs right now. Thought about trying the trial Shadow Hawk next. Yeah, I am unsure about blowing the c-bills in the wrong direction.

My first 'mech was a Hunchback 4H... don't do that. I love my hunchies, but you'll have a few disadvantages right from the start - first, being that ~90% of your firepower resides in your right torso, and everyone knows it. Aside from torso twisting ability, size and cockpit view, the Shadowhawk outclasses it in every way.

Medium 'mechs are still at somewhat of a disadvantage in terms of survivability, but they can be a hoot to run.
The 55 tonners really stand out in the medium class, especially the Shadowhawk and the Griffin.

More competitive players tend to drift towards the heavy classification. Cataphracts, Timberwolves (especially Timberwolves, but not available for c-bills yet), Jagermechs, Catapults... They're all solid options. Both light and assault chassis are considerably more difficult to learn, and if you're like most people, your first thought after reading that probably is "well, I could do it." And you probably could, but the learning curve just gets steeper.

#49 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Whichever way you go Shaemus you step into the world of metagaming and you will make mistakes there. We all have done it and some of us...ahem... still do. The Centurion is a notorious hard-to-kill zombie mech but requires a bit of playstyle adaption to make it work proberly. If you go that way, you will need to learn the use of shield arm. The Hunchie...well I love it. It was my first mech (Founders) and I still pull it out from time to time to give it a spin. Some hate its guts but not me...

Going for Hunchies go for the SP or the P first... the H or G are harder to go by

The Shadow Hawk is an excellent medium mech but I felt I couldnt make it play to its full potential. Perhabs you are better at it. And when you see the Wolverine and start thinking "wow that could be cool" stop it right there... It isnt !!!

As the poster above me here is saying: The heavy mechs like the Cataphract are good mechs too. A bit more expensive, but offer more choices...

Edited by CSHubert, 28 October 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#50 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

I have been using the Highlander trial mech...I like the range it had but I prefer the maneuverability of the Victor. I do like the er large lasers and ac5. Would it be feasible to make a good ranged fighter out of the Victor with erll ac5 ssrms? I hate the thought of wasting all of the experience I have built up with the Victor.

#51 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 28 October 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

I have been using the Highlander trial mech...I like the range it had but I prefer the maneuverability of the Victor. I do like the er large lasers and ac5. Would it be feasible to make a good ranged fighter out of the Victor with erll ac5 ssrms? I hate the thought of wasting all of the experience I have built up with the Victor.

another good resource is https://www.mechspecs.com/
but i think they are getting phased out, it is similar to smurfy-net's statistics

Edited by zudukai, 28 October 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#52 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 28 October 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

As Phobic said: You could go that way. Pros are that you know the mech and have an idea of how it moves, shoots and take damage. The cons are that its an assault (in general harder to make work proberly) and its expensive. But its your creds and if you feel for it, go for it ;)

Victor is a good allround fighter that relies on speed and manouverability to get by. It can be pumped up ("metabuild") to be a competitive mech but not as much as it once could. The Dragonslayer is, imo, one of the best buys in the hero-mech line

Edited by CSHubert, 28 October 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#53 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:32 AM

I will take your advice. From what I have been reading in the forums, my play style of backing up the big boys seems more suited to a medium mech. Maybe thats' another reason you guys suggested them. Thanks to all of you for your experienced input and the videos that have helped put words into action. 7 more cadet bonuses and I am shopping.

#54 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

i Advice you to play all Weightclasses to get an general first Feel for them.

As Mediums realy aare the Backup for Assaults you seem to understand the game mechanics very fast :)

Just keep in Mind that you still need an Assault on your Side to play that Way :)

Have fun in your next matches .

#55 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

Before you buy a specific chassis, make sure you stop by and we'll help you come up with a few different ideas for loadouts.

And don't let us turn you away from victors - we just want you to be informed of the situation. Whatever you decide there are successful and unsuccessful ways to run what you want.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 29 October 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#56 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

I don't have the c-bills yet, but I believe I am going to get the Shadow Hawk 5M when I do get enough. It already has the XL 275 engine and double heat sinks. I want to put lasers on each arm and at least 1 AC5 for the range. Ssrms would be nice for pesky lights. What do you guys think of that? I like the way the Shadow Hawk moves and feels it has great maneuverability to me plus it seems like I can peek over and snipe with it if I want to.

Edit...I missed that there is not going to be a laser on the left arm of the 5M, but I can put the engine in another Shadow Hawk that can use a laser on each arm.

I wish I had found this game sooner. >(8^D)

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 29 October 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#57 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Shadow Hawk is a great mech. The 5M is my favourite and Im sure you'll do fine in it. The XL275 is a good allround engine though the XLs are suffering from blowup as soon as you get your side torso shot off. For a ranged fighter the XLs is preferred, but move in close and it kills you. Any way the Shadow Hawk is a manouverable jumpmech and as you liked the Victors, you'll love this one... especially when mastered

Edit: If you need some "hand hold advice" you can PM me. Ive got a private TS server and Ill be happy to take some drops with you.

Edited by CSHubert, 29 October 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#58 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

I appreciate the offer.

#59 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

I was about to recommend the 5M. Let me play around with smurfy and see what I can come up with...

#60 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

You guys have been awesome to this rookie. Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users