Tonnes Of Fun - Group Queue Challenge

298 replies to this topic

#281 ERescue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

Due to very unfortunate circumstances the minimal effort I was able to put in resulted in a flat 0 for me.

#282 PPO Kuro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 300 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

The event was kind of fun, but in my opinion not 'fair' against people with, sorry for saying it, a life. As in I work, have social responsibilities and more of that kind of stuff. I can't spend hours and hours on this game. Even in the weekends.

I played 4 days and got a total of 35 points. The 140 points per match was a bit too much, and please don't start saying LTP BS. Me and my friends tried our best. ;)

#283 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostDrSlamastika, on 11 November 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Hmm. . . that's why it called challenge, its not for all :D and you must sacrifice something. ( your family time, parties, work etc. . . ) If you want it!

At all it was not so hard. I played only during friday night and saturday night few hours. I wasn't play during sunday. (party time) In monday I played only 8 games for last 6 points. Then I went to the cinema on Interstellar. I had about 28 hours + when I finished this challenge.

If you dont get it, you made something wrong.

It's not doing something wrong.. even skilled skilled players needed time to complete this challenge. PGI must take into consideration how much time a reasonable person (the majority of their paying customer base, ie. working adults with families) have to devote to a challenge. This is first challenge that I found to be unreasonable.

ps. you do realise that 28 hours is over 3 work days right? If you think that's reasonable you have way too much free time on your hands.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 November 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#284 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostPPO Kuro, on 11 November 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I played 4 days and got a total of 35 points. The 140 points per match was a bit too much, and please don't start saying LTP BS. Me and my friends tried our best. ;)

You tried and that's what matters. All my Stormcrow matches were in a 5xSSRM6 build which is very much a brawl or die config, but when I got tired of grinding I dropped back into a Mad Dog with 2xLRM15's. I definitely felt like the larger the group I dropped with the harder the event was. The sweet spot seemed to be with 3 or 5 people but for some reason 4 was just awful.

#285 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 11 November 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

You tried and that's what matters. All my Stormcrow matches were in a 5xSSRM6 build which is very much a brawl or die config, but when I got tired of grinding I dropped back into a Mad Dog with 2xLRM15's. I definitely felt like the larger the group I dropped with the harder the event was. The sweet spot seemed to be with 3 or 5 people but for some reason 4 was just awful.

I agree completely.. 2to3man groups was the sweet spot. Quick drops, no fiddling with builds, was only way to complete it in reasonable time. Unfortunately I didn't try this until the last day.. so didn't make the last challenge for the speakers.

Also the lrm's every challenge brings out is getting extremely annoying. Their usage spikes with every challenge. They need to come up with a challenge that doesn't allow LRM's or that gives a penalty for using them. Just pause for a second and try to imagine playing this game without LRM's flying at you from 700meters ... wow that really would be something.

The grind time plus the Lurmageddon part 1000000000000 made this the most unpleasant challenge to experience.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 November 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#286 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 11 November 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Also the lrm's every challenge brings out is getting extremely annoying. Their usage spikes with every challenge. They need to come up with a challenge that doesn't allow LRM's or that gives a penalty for using them. Just pause for a second and try to imagine playing this game without LRM's flying at you from 700meters ... wow that really would be something.

The grind time plus the Lurmageddon part 1000000000000 made this the most unpleasant challenge to experience.

Disagree. I'd take LURMAGEDDON everyday over Gauss snipers. At least you can rush the LRM's, which spread damage over your whole mech, without losing half or all of your mech. Again, too much of any SINGLE meta makes the game obnoxious. Have you run up against 228, Lords, CSJx, or SJR? You die to FLPPD before you even know where they are. Talk about annoying as ****.

The fix here is basing the majority of the points being awarded on something other than 'Kills' or 'Assists'. It's very easy to tap everything with LRM fire but it's very hard to spot, NARC, or TAG in a LRMboat. The risk vs reward is at the heart of the issue, not the LRM's. If the points were awarded based on distance to target, components destroyed, spots, NARCs, TAGs, enemies disrupted with ECM, ECM disrupted with BAP, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting then LRMboats would fall out of favor.

#287 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 11 November 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

@ 8 minutes a game, 1 minute to ready, I spent around 17.5 hours to finish this challenge. That's roughly 6 hours a day for 3 days and that without counting the time lost waiting for people to join the group and then configure our tonnage. I'd guesstimate I spent more like 24 hours on this challenge if not more. Utterly ridiculous really.

Now imagine that translated into work/profitable hours. How many mugs, hamsters in wheels and warhorns could it buy?

#288 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

Not building your mech to facilitate your score during the challenge is like trying to lose weight by eating ice cream. It can be done, but you aren't going to be happy.

It took 80 matches to complete the challenge in LRM boats with 5 matches in a Direwolf when I was in a 2 man team. It was possible to get a qualifying game even if my team rolled over with a quickness. The only time I didn't qualify was if I was targeted by 2 or more mechs in the beginning of the match. You know the maps where 2 lances get to jump on one or when a light wolf pack comes and gets you in the beginning.

Players should be able to look at the challenge algorithm and see how to build their mechs. If you cant see the best type of mech for the challenge, pop onto the Forums and start a thread. I'm sure someone will do your thinking for you.

#289 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

View PostZolaz, on 11 November 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Not building your mech to facilitate your score during the challenge is like trying to lose weight by eating ice cream. It can be done, but you aren't going to be happy.

It took 80 matches to complete the challenge in LRM boats with 5 matches in a Direwolf when I was in a 2 man team. It was possible to get a qualifying game even if my team rolled over with a quickness. The only time I didn't qualify was if I was targeted by 2 or more mechs in the beginning of the match. You know the maps where 2 lances get to jump on one or when a light wolf pack comes and gets you in the beginning.

Players should be able to look at the challenge algorithm and see how to build their mechs. If you cant see the best type of mech for the challenge, pop onto the Forums and start a thread. I'm sure someone will do your thinking for you.

What are you saying.. no matter HOW you build a mech, eveb if you tag all 12 mechs with your laser, you won't get the big points that 'kill assists' offers if your team gets stomped (yes it still happens alot).

No matter the build, if were are in a failed team, it was very difficult to get 140 points. You had to do REAL damage, get ACTUAL kills, spot for lrms, etc. you couldn't rely strictly on kill assists.

I don't see how the proper build would have sped things up because the challenge was too reliant on team effort. And if you WERE in a larger group of skilled players, you ended up wasting SOOOO much time readying up, waiting for all to die before being able to drop and re-launch, calculating and recalcuting tonnages.. SOOO ANNOYING.

NOT fun, which is what a challenge SHOULD be. There is enough grinding in this game as it stands.

BOTTOM LINE: This challenge was created with maximum grinding in mind, probably on purpose so PGI can get the maximum information out of their expiremental 'lab rats.'

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 November 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#290 Ashrahm

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

i really did not have fun with this event.

i know we shouldn't complain for free stuff. but, this...., this was work.

#291 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Does anyone else find the irony in the grind for the hamster wheel... kind of like you are the hamster at times. :lol: :P

All in all, thanks PGI for the free goodies but I think you need to take a second look at the scoring system in the future for events like these.

#292 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 11 November 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Does anyone else find the irony in the grind for the hamster wheel... kind of like you are the hamster at times. :lol: :P All in all, thanks PGI for the free goodies but I think you need to take a second look at the scoring system in the future for events like these.

You guys understand that this challenge was a data gathering exercise for PGI in setting up and testing CW right? Strict weight limits = dropships. Single point per match = loyalty point. No opt in = larger data set. It isn't all about us, and how many people would download the test server to do this, even if they told us exactly what they were doing?

They set the prize bar high because they want a lot of data for CW. I'm happy to help. And they told you exactly what it was going to take, a lot of coffee, you're going to feel like you're on a hamster wheel, and then you get your $3 prize.

WUUUUUBBBBWUBBUBWBUWBUWUUUBBWUBBBB

And for god's sake, it's a challenge, not 'Everyone gets a trophy day' It's supposed to be hard.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 11 November 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#293 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 11 November 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Does anyone else find the irony in the grind for the hamster wheel... kind of like you are the hamster at times. :lol: :P

All in all, thanks PGI for the free goodies but I think you need to take a second look at the scoring system in the future for events like these.

That is really funny :lol: .. good point about the hamster wheel! It's so true!

View PostBig Tin Man, on 11 November 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

You guys understand that this challenge was a data gathering exercise for PGI in setting up and testing CW right? Strict weight limits = dropships. Single point per match = loyalty point. No opt in = larger data set. It isn't all about us, and how many people would download the test server to do this, even if they told us exactly what they were doing?

They set the prize bar high because they want a lot of data for CW. I'm happy to help. And they told you exactly what it was going to take, a lot of coffee, you're going to feel like you're on a hamster wheel, and then you get your $3 prize.

And for god's sake, it's a challenge, not 'Everyone gets a trophy day' It's supposed to be hard.

WUB WUB WUB.

I don't mind a challenge but they need to take into consideration the average player when setting the bar.. and perhaps set it slightly above that. This bar was set way too high so that only little kids with nothing else to do all weekend would complete it. This challenge left a sour taste in paying customers mouth. You know, the ones that actually put money into this game.

They can make the challenge more reasonable and still get the data they need by just increasing the duration of the challenge by one day, making it more reasonable. This isn't rocket science!

PEW PEW PEW.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 November 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#294 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 11 November 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

Lighten up a bit, you maybe missed the similes behind my post but it was a bit of humor.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 11 November 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#295 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 11 November 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Lighten up a bit, you maybe missed the similes behind my post but it was a bit of humor.

Posted Image

#296 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

Posted Image

#297 Zenmore

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota, USA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

Great event, PGI. Thanks for the warhorn! (would have preferred MC)

only took 97 matches to git 'er done.

#298 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

Interesting group challenge...Is there a PGI short cut, how many MC to get checked off and go directly to getting the prizes?

#299 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

View PostDanny Fubar, on 07 January 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

Interesting group challenge...Is there a PGI short cut, how many MC to get checked off and go directly to getting the prizes?

lol dude this was back in nov lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users