298 replies to this topic

#241 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Took 80 matches to finish the challenge for me. I liked the fact that I could see my points earned for each match, that was awesome. A point I would like to bring up though, if there are going to be weight limits having the game calculate the tonnage for me would be great.

#242 gamingogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

The first reward is just not possible to get; unless I was to play all day every day. :( Just way to difficult. The last several have been this way. This keeps up, and I am going to start ignoring all there contests.

#243 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

Just going to say this much; this challenge really angered me.

Not everyone is participating, so you have teams running their standard 3 DWs 3 TWs etc.. vs teams actually trying to participate running lights, mediums, etc.

We had a match not too long ago where one team had 5 Dire Wolves and 1 Highlander vs our 1 Awesome in assaults. Needless to say, we lost horribly with no chance at a scoring game.

Finding too many of these matches this evening...

#244 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

View PostFlyby215, on 10 November 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

Not everyone is participating, so you have teams running their standard 3 DWs 3 TWs etc.. vs teams actually trying to participate running lights, mediums, etc.

We had a match not too long ago where one team had 5 Dire Wolves and 1 Highlander vs our 1 Awesome in assaults. Needless to say, we lost horribly with no chance at a scoring game.

Especially the further it got, as more people completed it / gave up on it.

The negatives simply outweighed the positives, especially if you have other obligations and can't put in days of hard grind.

#245 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

View PostZolaz, on 10 November 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

How many matches are people taking to complete the challenge?

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 November 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Luck is still a lot of it.

Been THE primary target for almost all my games, and there is little to nothing you can do to score well, when you are the first dead.

yeah yesterday was strange, weekend felt a lot less stressy. Also I think I have seen more lrms yesterday in caustic than over the entire weekend together.

#246 HarlekinEO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 267 posts
  • Location36th Dieron Regulars

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:23 AM

Just to let you know. I dont do the event for the prices, they were trash anyway. Cockpit items, which reduce my viewable sight or Horns to let the enemy know, where you are is just a toy for kids. If you want to do such items, introduce grafitys for outside (like they are on warplanes). I need a spade in heart position for my urban camo mechs ;-).

I like events, but:

- dont do group queue only!
- dont do it only on weekends! -> I think you are aware, that lots of older player play mwo. Weekend is for family. I rather play 2h a day during the week.
- make the event viable! -> I spend really alot of time this time (5h on saturday, 6h on sunday and 4h on monday evening, thats pretty much power gaming). But I made only 58 matches till now and wont make anymore, since when I come home its over. Beside this your formula was a bit odd. You were punished for acting successful. If you were in a Stomp Group (even on winner side) you had hard time to get your points. Base Cap was forbidden.
Punishment for assaulting the base, even in normal matches is odd. Assaulting a base, which is ungarded is the most favourable option for a tactical officer. It saves your equipment! But you get only 1/4th of the reward of normal matches. In this case you werent able to get the necessary points, if you would do so... It is Assault, so why shorten the reward if you do so? Wouldnt it be better, if the reward would be according to the game mode you play? I would think it would itense the the gameplay and let the players act smarter (Well, you cant blame them, if they play assault & conquest like skirmish...)

...and now somewhat positiv. The 60t limit made the mixture of the mechs nearly even. I liked that (because not allways the same meta mechs in field)

Edited by HarlekinEO, 11 November 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#247 trebormills

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 133 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

A lot of my group found it very very grindy or missed it as you dont pre announce contests [maybe on Tuesdays announce next weekend event?] - Im close to a war horn but may run out of time as I couldnt play at all on Saturday

IMO - the best thing about this challenge was the huge amount of close matches I had, with some horrible mis matches as well

This tells me MWO needs to bring back tonnage limits - the only issue then will be to many laser vomit or streak crows [Splat Cat 2.0]

#248 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:32 AM

I finally got the hamster. It took me 6 games to get the last point...

#249 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

6 hours to go, only 19 points to warhorn. Here's hoping luck's on my side...

#250 McMatt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:55 AM

I didn't liked that one. Searching for players and then calculating weight. And many times happened, that game didn't qualified because miscalculation, or changes of mech in last second or some player leaving or joining in last minute. Also, challenges should equal be for PUG or group players: don't do only group queue.

Edited by McMatt, 11 November 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#251 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostCycKath, on 11 November 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

6 hours to go, only 19 points to warhorn. Here's hoping luck's on my side...

It'll be close!

#252 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 11 November 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

It'll be close!

If certain people keep helping me, I believe I shall make it without having to stay up to 3am and zero hour :)

#253 SirMad

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:42 AM

i gave up at 48 points.
Took me 70 games to get there.

It was a little bit to grindy for the small rewards, but i like my hamster
;)

#254 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostCycKath, on 11 November 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

If certain people keep helping me, I believe I shall make it without having to stay up to 3am and zero hour :)

Already 4am here :ph34r: -_- :rolleyes:

#255 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 10 November 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

You might enjoy the smell of vomit, and gagging on your own breath, but a lot of good dedicated mech fighters simply

a) don't have enough time due to real life, and y'know stuff...

b ) Don't run clan cheese, cuz, y'know, like, they like the Inner Sphere mechs... and

C) Can't get a group together for enough times due to time zones and long wait times.

Also - some players can't afford to buy laser vomit builds unlike those that are "Devoted" that can waste 592 AUD on a gold skin.

There are plenty of fairly cheep laser vomit mechs. Thunderbolts are currently among the top mechs for that and they can use standard engines. The Jenner-F is a laser vomit build. IS does it pretty well. It's not just a clan thing.

I was most successful in this in my TDK or other direct fire light mechs. That said, I got to 40. Didn't have time for 60. There were issues with this event, but lack of access to mechs that can work is not one of them.

#256 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 10 November 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

the question is: if CW arrives what mechs do you field in your 240t dropship trying to figure this out now, will help you, because right now, you can start trainign with the mechs you will have to bring. And this may be one light at least, as long as you don't come with only mediums or 60t heavies.

I will say this. Managing your own personal 240 ton limit is easier than managing a 720 ton limit with 12 different people, or even a 600 ton limit with 10 people.

View PostSrg Gout, on 10 November 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

started ... see the rain .... quit....

I fear for you in CW.

#257 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:45 AM

Since others are doing it.

Counted Games: 80 (I had 6 over where we didn't care)
Qualified: 40
High: 657 (Second was 407)
Low: 5
Average: 155.125

The High results definitely skewed the average though. Ultimately, like many challenges, it required time. I think they could have done the scoring a bit better, and I would have liked the warhorn, but ultimately it's no big deal. The good thing is, PGI can hopefully learn and improve this type of event.

#258 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

Ended up finishing tier 3 but paying for it today. 14 hour work day today after staying up to late/ limited sleep... much coffee will be consumed today. Dunno why I kept pushing to 60 since I bought that warhorn for MC a while back but yea.

Took 106 matches, only 1 of which was over weight. 2 matches I was not paying attention and dropped in mechs I was not intending to use (was tired or something I guess).

Was on a roll for a while last night in a 3 man. Dropped to a 2 man at one point and still was ok for a bit until late in the evening. Then it all went kind of sideways... Lords, 228, CSJx... rinse and repeat. Literally for 7 matches in a row at the end. Felt like MM was torturing me for the final qualifying match. ;)

View PostFlyby215, on 10 November 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

Yea was running into that as well. That is why I was trying to stick with small groups to ton up as much as possible. I pretty much ran the Banshees all night to carry as best possible, started in the 3M and ended up in the 3E. Hell at one point in the 2 man we where just dropping banshee/ direwolf.

Ran into you I think in a match or two when I was in the final qualifying match grind and you commented like us you where seeing same groups.. also in a rough patch of matches.

Brutal at the end there. Hitting those good teams was a double edged sword being in a 2 man. We could ton up but we also got a roll of the dice for our team mates and they where not on comms to coordinate.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 11 November 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#259 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

Finished it! Last night was frustrating, had 4 matches that we were over tonnage (DOH!)

Stats:
88 Matches with proper tonnage
High score--1015 o.0
Low--3 (pizza guy came right as I dropped)
Average--221.875

Mechs used:
FS9-E--6 drops, 5 qualified
JM6-FB--8 drops, 4 qualified
RVN 3L--53 drops, 40 qualified
SCR-D--3 drops, 2 qualified
SHD-2D--3 drops, 0 qualified
SHD-2D2--4 drops, 2 qualified
SHD-2H--4 drops, 3 qualified
TBT-7M--6 drops, 4 qualified

#260 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostBront, on 11 November 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

I will say this. Managing your own personal 240 ton limit is easier than managing a 720 ton limit with 12 different people, or even a 600 ton limit with 10 people.

I don't think so, people have mechs they prefer, they can handle better than others, the chance in a 12 man 720 group that someone prefers lights making it possible for one other to field a heavy heavy, will make everyone be more comfortable. But when you prefer 60+ t mechs, then you will have to use something you are possibly inconvinient with.

Edited by Lily from animove, 11 November 2014 - 07:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users