Please Increase Drop Limit To 265 Tons

86 replies to this topic

#1 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

While not a a bug please increase drop limit to 265 tons. If I am playing the IS I have no problem getting the Mech's I need to fit comfortably with the 240 drop limit but I currently have one class of clan Mech ie light 30 tons, medium 50 tons, heavy 75 tons and assault 100 tons so if I want one of each I would need a 255 ton drop limit. Now it is helpful that you can use the trial mech;s to help fill in the blanks so to speak but they all have a stock load out, of the 27 mech's I have in my mech bays not one is stock, each one has been customized to my play style.

Sorry this has got a little long winded so to bottom line it, since there is not that many clan mech;s tonnage wise to fit with in the current 240 tons having a tonnage limit 265 for both IS and clan drops would make mech choices less problematic, alternately the option to drop with only 3 mech's would also help with this issue.

Edited by Harbinger Prime, 16 December 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#2 tripsangel

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA, WA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...e-limit-to-250/

how did you get 265 anyways?

Edited by tripsangel, 16 December 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

View Posttripsangel, on 16 December 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...e-limit-to-250/

how did you get 265 anyways?

I was trying to stay as close to the 240, as possible. that number is from the max weight for each class on mech which is light 35 tones, medium 55 tones, heavy 75 tons and Assault 100 tons. Since you really cant plan if you are going to be attacking or defending a one of each class allows you the most flexibility.

Also thank you for pointing to that thread I tried a search before I posted and for some reason that one did not come up.

Edited by Harbinger Prime, 16 December 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#4 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

I think the problem with simply increasing the upper limit is a risk of power creep. That said, I definitely think that things are skewed in favor of light pilots who can essentially play the class they prefer with very little modification, whereas if I bring one assault, I have to play vastly different chassis to counter-balance.

Here are my own proposed solutions:

http://mwomercs.com/...-weight-limits/

#5 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

No. The limit is fair and prevents too many assaults and heavies.

#6 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostSiegegun, on 16 December 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

No. The limit is fair and prevents too many assaults and heavies.

While I don't completely disagree that there has to be some balance to prevent matches from becoming top-heavy, I feel compelled to ask: are "too many Firestarters" really much better?

#7 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

I don't have a problem with firestarters personally. I also do not seem to have the hit reg problems people talk about. And while the zerg rush is effective it can be contained and destroyed. I have already been a part of several matches which definitely successfully defended from them. From full 12 man "known" units at that. When more people get the defense tactics down the zerg rush will not be as much of an "issue". And PGI has already confirmed controlling that rush, or attempting to via Russ on a tweet.

I do understand the clans need more mechs for more variety, but that is exactly the problem. Increasing tonnage does not help that, which is the root problem. All increasing tonnage would do at this stage is imbalance this further. Clans have some awesome drop decks with what they have right now. In time there will be more mechs.

#8 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

The problem as I see it is that choices to meet the current tonnage limit are very limited when it comes to clan mechs.

#9 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

In some ways they are Harbinger. Like I said earlier, I acknowledge this as a problem for the clans. But they are adding mechs, eventually there will be more choice, in the mean time the clans have, while limited a bit, very good mechs and good competitive drop decks. Increasing drop deck tonnage is not the answer to this. The 240 top limit is fair, controls too many assaults/heavies and is something all factions are restricted to.

Also note this is just the beginning of CW, it is still in beta, and PGI has already stated they will be adding more modes to it and more variety as far as drop deck tonnage goes. Also looking at the map I see a lot of clan movement south, seems like the tonnage limits are not hurting the clans much.

Edited by Siegegun, 16 December 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#10 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

Although I can sympathize with the limited number of clan mechs to make effective drop decks, as Siegegun mentioned, the clans are slowly and steadily creeping south towards Terra at a good pace. You also need to note that the clans already have a noticeable advantage with their greater range. As an Inner Sphere pilot, I've been at the receiving end of that increased range, being picked off with ER LLs and ER PPCs.

Increasing the tonnage limit isn't the answer. Besides, it makes making your drop deck more challenging.

#11 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

I'll just repeat my suggestion here since I think it's a better idea to consolidate things into one thread.

Gallowglas said:

Okay, I know everyone will have their thoughts on this and not everyone will agree with me. That's fine, but if you disagree, please keep the rebuttals constructive and/or offer your own constructive counter-proposals.

I have a fundamental issue with the way dropship mech composition works. Namely, I have to plan around having four mechs no matter what. In essence, if I want to play an assault, I'm almost certainly going to have to field multiple mediums or else field a light, whether or not that matches my play style. Conversely, if you enjoy piloting lights, it's trivial to choose those for all four drops. It just seems strange to me that someone who enjoys playing a Jenner can run four of them, but someone who really likes their K2 can't and is forced to take something else, which impacts their entire drop deck.

I do like the idea of the current drop limits, but what I'd like to see is one of two modifications:

1) Allow me to choose any number of mechs (up to a max of four) within the tonnage limits. In other words, allow me to take three Victors. Or an Atlas and two Cataphracts. The only impact this should have on balance is that people will be piloting chassis they actually WANT to play instead of being forced into a role they dislike. As it stands, being forced to take a Locust because I have to field four mechs isn't really helping my team, nor is it fun for me.

2) Allow players who are grouped (i.e. dropping together from the same unit) to share tonnage. If Player A only uses 220 tons, allow another player to field 260 tons.

Edited by Gallowglas, 16 December 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#12 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

INCREASE TONNAGE LIMIT: YES

#13 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

Personally, I think that they should start varying the drop deck per planet, or possibly giving larger drop decks to houses that are losing planets (they're fighting closer to home, so logistics are easier), and maybe even decreasing it for factions that are taking extra territory.

I think a per planet shift would be fine though.

#14 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

I would guess that next increase would be up to 400 tons -_-

#15 Lucity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 108 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

I like the limit where it is now, prevents too many heavies/assaults.

#16 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 16 December 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

While I don't completely disagree that there has to be some balance to prevent matches from becoming top-heavy, I feel compelled to ask: are "too many Firestarters" really much better?

As opposed to "too many Madcats"?

#17 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostAstrocanis, on 16 December 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

As opposed to "too many Madcats"?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree that too much of anything can be problematic. What I personally have a problem with though is being forced to take a mech I have no desire to pilot and having the inclusion of that mech impact my drop deck. Why not allow me to split my tonnage between three mechs instead of forcing me to take a fourth that I have no desire to play whatsoever? Yes, maybe that means I could play three of something I couldn't otherwise field, but it's at the cost of having a fourth mech at all.

It's really just that I have zero desire to play a light. Forcing me to do so doesn't add to my gameplay experience, nor does it really help my team.

So in essence, yes, restrict my drop weight to a reasonable number that prevents me from loading up with four god-like battlefield terrors, but allow me to not have to take a mech I don't want to take at all.

Edited by Gallowglas, 16 December 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#18 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostHarbinger Prime, on 16 December 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

The problem as I see it is that choices to meet the current tonnage limit are very limited when it comes to clan mechs.

So letting them bring 3 Timberwolves and a Kit Fox solves every problem. Got it.

#19 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

We are all under the same restrictions. So effectively it is not that you want to have more variety and options but that you just want to play only assaults. Sorry. No. Lucky for me and not so lucky for you PGI agrees with me and a lot of other players. Higher than 240 is too much. And there IS a reason for the 4 mech requirement. To prevent people like you from playing assualtmech online. See, if you do not restrict either the tonnage or the 4 mech requirement, MOST people will just take 3 heavies or assaults. If that happened then there would be a lot less variety, a lot less lower tonnage mechs and the gameplay would be a lot worse.

Also no one is forcing you to do anything. You do not have to play CW, you have control over which mechs you bring in your drop deck. Piloting ONE smaller tonnage mech is not going to kill or harm any of you assault and heavy pilots.

#20 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think 240 is pretty good. I have a kit fox, ice ferret, hellbringer, and dire wolf in my drop deck currently. It's pretty effective so far. The limit prevents you from taking the heaviest-armed things you have. In case you haven't noticed, while defending is definitely the easier of the two positions, the actual mech-to-mech battles seem more fair. While I could definitely see 260 tons if PGI implemented tonnage limits in regular matches, the 240 for CW often requires some level of sacrifice unless you like to pilot lights and mediums only.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users