Are You Scared Of Lrms?

89 replies to this topic

#1 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

I use SCARED as my counter to LRMs every match.
S=Situational awareness. Learn the areas of each map to avoid LRMs. If you are in a slow mech you want to avoid areas that benefit LRMs. They are usually open areas.
C=Cover. Your best friend that does not costs any Cbill or MC. If you wander out in the open you do not have cover.
A=AMS. If your mech has the option of AMS you should bring it. If everyone did this, there would be no LRM issues.
R=Radar Dep module. This module is great for losing target lock when you start getting Lurmed to death. If you are a slow mech this module is a must.
E=ECM. Either bring it or hang around a mech that has it. Its like mobile cover.
D=Debrief yourself. If you get Lurmed to death using the above then you made a mistake somewhere. Dont get mad and scream LRMs need a nerf, figure out what you did wrong and try to fix it.

Edited by RustyBolts, 27 December 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

I came into this thread expecting something else. ;) Well done keeping it original. B)

#3 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

No, because I know how to play. The only time they are concerning is when going up against an organized group with lights that actually do their job. Which is pretty non existent. No one uses lrms outside of pugs.
They are annoying yes, but that's about it. I haven't been killed by lrm's since I've been back.

Edited by lsp, 27 December 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

View Postlsp, on 27 December 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

No, because I know how to play. The only time they are conerning is when going up against an organized group with lights that actually do their job. Which is pretty non existent. No one uses lrms outside of pugs.

You might want to read the original post in the thread, it's a lot different than what the thread title implies...

#5 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

I like the concept. Good job. ;)

#6 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hell naw I ain't skerd!

#7 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

I am more scared of the people scared of LRMs.

When one on your team is scared of that team. There is definitly a problem.

#8 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostFupDup, on 27 December 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

You might want to read the original post in the thread, it's a lot different than what the thread title implies...

Yep, you are right. That's what I get for commenting on the title instead of actually reading what he had to type.

One thing left out of op is to take cover and power down to break lock=win. DOn't even need AMS or ECM.

Edited by lsp, 27 December 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#9 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

nope much more scary things out there:

3xERPPC murderboats (yep, murder)
2xGauss murderboats (yep, long range murder)
3xERLas baddies (not so much scared but annoying as hell)
Scary surprise Atlas (if an Atlas can get the drop on me, yes I am scared and usually dead soon after)

#10 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

View Postlsp, on 27 December 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

No, because I know how to play. The only time they are concerning is when going up against an organized group with lights that actually do their job. Which is pretty non existent. No one uses lrms outside of pugs.
They are annoying yes, but that's about it. I haven't been killed by lrm's since I've been back.

View PostCocoaJin, on 27 December 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Hell naw I ain't skerd!

View PostKuroNyra, on 27 December 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

I am more scared of the people scared of LRMs.

When one on your team is scared of that team. There is definitly a problem.

View PostChagatay, on 27 December 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

nope much more scary things out there:

3xERPPC murderboats (yep, murder)
2xGauss murderboats (yep, long range murder)
3xERLas baddies (not so much scared but annoying as hell)
Scary surprise Atlas (if an Atlas can get the drop on me, yes I am scared and usually dead soon after)

the posts that prove my sig.

OP, you are absolutely correct! Also as part of debrief is to spectate other players in the same match -- its one of the best ways to learn. Nothing worse than seeing a player die to LRM spam and DC right away while their team-mates play on just fine.

Edited by nehebkau, 27 December 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#11 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Lrms kill me when my team is losing anyway and I am approached from multiple directions and cannot take cover anymore.

In a fight with most mechs alive in either team lrms are simply no danger. I shoot alpha after alpha and kill mechs and lrms barely, if ever hit me simply because it is so easy to just take cover and avoid open uncovered areas. Combine that with radar dep and missiles just arent a threat.

Lrms ripp those apart, that blindly stumble about and expose themselves. Lrms are so situational that in many, many, many scenarios - or generally when facing decent - good plyers - they are utterly ineffective.

In those situations you carry dozens of tons of lrms and their launchers and you simply cannot hit clearly visible targets. They just step aside and you hammer obstacles or lose the target. Again and over again.

My lasers and ppcs find their mark. They cannot be avoided that easily. Los weapons (except acs at longer ranges wich are easily avoided as well) are vastly superior. At least in mwo.

#12 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 27 December 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

the posts that prove my sig.

OP, you are absolutely correct! Also as part of debrief is to spectate other players in the same match -- its one of the best ways to learn. Nothing worse than seeing a player die to LRM spam and DC right away while their team-mates play on just fine.

I've already corrected myself.

#13 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostRustyBolts, on 27 December 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

I am. I use SCARED as my counter to LRMs every match.
S=Situational awareness. Learn the areas of each map to avoid LRMs. If you are in a slow mech you want to avoid those areas. They are usually open areas.
C=Cover. Your best friend that does not costs any Cbill or MC. If you wander out in the open you do not have cover.
A=AMS. If your mech has the option of AMS you should bring it. If everyone did this, there would be no LRM issues.
R=Radar Dep module. This module is great for losing target lock when you start getting Lurmed to death. If you are a slow mech this module is a must.
E=ECM. Either bring it or hang around a mech that has it. Its like mobile cover.
D=Debrief yourself. If you get Lurmed to death using the above then you made a mistake somewhere. Dont get mad and scream LRMs need a nerf, figure out what you did wrong and try to fix it.

1. Okay situational awareness is pretty good, but what happens if im in a firefight helping the team and get lrmed? so i either move back and let my team die or continue fighting. Not to mention situational awareness is situational itself, some lrmers dont fire immediately and wait for the fight to start, so even the best players will get hit.

2. Okay cover is the more reliable counter to lrms, but most maps *cough*caustic/alpine*cough* have questionable amount of cover. Not to mention lrms have an arc this makes most cover become questionable.

3. This is also situational. MM doesnt take equipment like ams or ecm into consideration. Also ams reduces dmg it doesnt counter lrms not to mention is only works against lrms thats why many people dont equip it since they could use that tonnage for something more useful. Sometimes mm pairs whole ecm against no ecm, someimtes its all lrms vs no ecm others times its complete counter which brings mm as the problem not "everyones must equip counter cuz lurms".

4. Sure ecm is pretty solid equipment with dealing against lrms. But again it is also situational. It helps deal against targeting and lrms not direct fire weapons. And lets not forget ecm has counters to it too BAP/Tag/Narc or you know killing the ecm carrier.

5. Oh so if a person does not have either both ams or ecm its a mistake? Again its up to the players preference if they dont want to deal with lrms or want to help the team. Sometimes people makes mistakes and yeah they should look back and improve. Sometimes people need to take cover and counters into consideration doesnt mean lrms should be impossible to hit anything, but the problem is the arc which is quite frustrating to deal with. Maybe making lrms into a hybrid would help.

#14 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

View Postoneda, on 27 December 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

In a fight with most mechs alive in either team lrms are simply no danger. I shoot alpha after alpha and kill mechs and lrms barely, if ever hit me simply because it is so easy to just take cover and avoid open uncovered areas. Combine that with radar dep and missiles just arent a threat.

Lrms ripp those apart, that blindly stumble about and expose themselves. Lrms are so situational that in many, many, many scenarios - or generally when facing decent - good plyers - they are utterly ineffective.

LRMS are a danger in fights because they can cause screen shake and dmg, lrms are very good at softening target, the reason you dont get kills is usually your team finishing them off. If you have spotter you can counter radar derp, or use backup weapons if they dont work in team fights instead of just strait up boating lrms. They are even good against decent players, simply changing position while the target is otherwise occupied or switching to a new target works.

"In those situations you carry dozens of tons of lrms and their launchers and you simply cannot hit clearly visible targets. They just step aside and you hammer obstacles or lose the target. Again and over again."
This has more to do with player skill rather than the weapon. You dont shoot some one with lrms if they are near cover and you know they will take cover the moment you shoot, that would be a good moment for your teammates to flush them out, change position or use your backup weapons.

Edited by Variant1, 27 December 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#15 RazarG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGrandside, Sydney

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

Rusty's the man!

#16 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

I FEAR NOTHING

#17 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I drive my 3L with total glee watching LRMs incoming, getting next to the target as he moves out of the way and then imagining the frustration of the lermer as his crosshairs don't turn red at the end.

#18 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostRazarG, on 27 December 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Rusty's the man!

Thanks. My goal was to provide a humorous way for pilots to remember some simple steps to help deal with LRMs.

#19 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:02 AM

Redundant topic, is.....redundant.

I kill more than I die from (lerms)
therefore based on that scientific study, and, as I suck, they can not be "OP"

Players, now follow me, cause I know this is totally nuts, players seem to be in control of their destiny in this game.

#20 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostVariant1, on 27 December 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

1. Okay situational awareness is pretty good, but what happens if im in a firefight helping the team and get lrmed? so i either move back and let my team die or continue fighting. Not to mention situational awareness is situational itself, some lrmers dont fire immediately and wait for the fight to start, so even the best players will get hit.

2. Okay cover is the more reliable counter to lrms, but most maps *cough*caustic/alpine*cough* have questionable amount of cover. Not to mention lrms have an arc this makes most cover become questionable.

3. This is also situational. MM doesnt take equipment like ams or ecm into consideration. Also ams reduces dmg it doesnt counter lrms not to mention is only works against lrms thats why many people dont equip it since they could use that tonnage for something more useful. Sometimes mm pairs whole ecm against no ecm, someimtes its all lrms vs no ecm others times its complete counter which brings mm as the problem not "everyones must equip counter cuz lurms".

4. Sure ecm is pretty solid equipment with dealing against lrms. But again it is also situational. It helps deal against targeting and lrms not direct fire weapons. And lets not forget ecm has counters to it too BAP/Tag/Narc or you know killing the ecm carrier.

5. Oh so if a person does not have either both ams or ecm its a mistake? Again its up to the players preference if they dont want to deal with lrms or want to help the team. Sometimes people makes mistakes and yeah they should look back and improve. Sometimes people need to take cover and counters into consideration doesnt mean lrms should be impossible to hit anything, but the problem is the arc which is quite frustrating to deal with. Maybe making lrms into a hybrid would help.

These steps are not meant to be individual steps to eliminate the threat of LRMs, but meant to be used as a whole to help minimize the threat. Sometimes, through the luck of MM, you end up in a situation where one or two of these will not apply to you, such as ECM or lots of cover. However, that does not mean you toss the rest of the steps out the cockpit, it just means the rest of the steps become more important.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users