#81 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 14 August 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

You guys are dumb as ****. There is no excuse for the poor,. skill-devoid gameplay that overpowered LRMs causes. Rational people don't want to bother to try and adapt to this bad player handicap trash on the poorly designed maps we have where LRM cover is sparse or nonexistent. It is utterly ridiculous that such an ezmode indirect fire weapon is so dominant in a FPS game.

The game continues to bleed skill and sanity as a result.

Time for PGI to pull their head out of their *** and remove their unwitting velocity buff.

HAHA. You should have been here when the maps were smaller and designed for 8 vs 8. Lrms were just as bad but guess what? I have been a lrm-er with the cptls since closed beta. There are a lot of ways to easily counter lrms and the vast majority of them from back then 2012 still work in 2018.

In fact with all the ecm variant mechs and multiple ams with 2-4 ams about especially in yolo q it's harder than ever to do well in a lrm boat with an aggressive play style and not all this bs of being passive and crying for locks. Why do you see so many heavies and assaults boating lrms? lrm 40 please? With all the ecm and ams you need to go bigger and more lrms to do much of any thing against a competent team.

Maybe in yolo land with potato players you'll get those nice 1-2k damage and 4-5 kill matches but against a team that knows all the lrm counters and uses team work you are hosed. Direct fire will win.

A lot of players that use to play solo q that I knew quit playing years ago. Ones that would run certain types of mechs,you'd recognize their name give them a shout out, they'd use team work.You'd know their general play style such as coffin dancer being pretty good in a light for example or FrakenHammer in a brawl atlas trying to drop call and lead the charge. Now it's just randos trying to win for ten minutes at average in a fifteen minute match.

But it you really want to play that ezmode use the stalker with its 1115m range or the cptl c4 with its 800m tag and 1035m range. Then pray that the enemy lights dies early in the match or they will find and kill you all alone while you try and lrm from 2-4 grids away from everyone else.

#82 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

LRMs are less effective now than at any time I've been playing the game.

#83 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:55 AM

View PostJRcam4643, on 14 August 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

Truth. Never before had AMS been this popular. The days of peacefully chainfiring LRM5s are over. RIP KTO.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 August 2018 - 04:56 AM.

#84 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:53 AM

lerms are like mosquitoes. a few are annoying but it takes a lot of them before you reach for the insect repellent. sometimes you get malaria and die, but thats rare. most of the time you can just ignore them unless you get caught in a swarm, but then its just a matter of getting away from their spawning pools.

ok thats as far as i want to take that analogy. i think the biggest thing to remember is that 90% of lrm players are skill-less noobs who lerm because aiming is hard, situational awareness is hard, brawling is hard, and any other play style usually renders them dead. good lermers are an even rarer sort than those who use gauss vomit effectively. that said if i see a huge laser alpha i might actually bother ducking into cover.

#85 Mooninite Err

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:38 AM

I honestly think the best solution is to make AMS not require a hardpoint, just make it equipment. If every mech has an LRM counter available, people can just say 'hey if you're getting rekt by LRMs, get an AMS'. The problem is now that not all mechs have access to AMS, and it's proving to be necessary if you want to survive on low-cover maps.

#86 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostJRcam4643, on 14 August 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

Depends entirely on the game mode, map, and team composition.

LRMs on Solaris City? Useless.
LRMs on Mining, HPG, River, Rubelite, or Crimson? Probably useless.
LRMs with a NARC light spotting? Useful on anything but above maps.
Multiple LRM boats with a NARC light spotting on anything but above maps? Very difficult to counter, direct fire frequently gets wrecked by this.

Fortunately that last configuration is extremely rare outside faction play, so everyone saying LRMs are easy to counter is KINDA right, because unless you play faction you're not gonna encounter a dedicated team with enough LRM's on a map that allows them to cause issues. If you do encounter that LRM team in faction though on a map like Polar Highlands... then yea you'll agree it's not easy to counter. Multiple triple-AMS kitfoxes / novas being killed by lurms as they try in vain to counter them with their puny AMS is funny.

#87 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

You're joking. AMS and ECM are both more popular now than ever combine that with the fact the two most recent maps are bad for missile use there's no reason you should be having that much trouble with LRMs. Even if your mech doesn't have AMS or ECM most of the time your teams has plenty.

#88 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostMooninite Err, on 15 August 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

I honestly think the best solution is to make AMS not require a hardpoint, just make it equipment. If every mech has an LRM counter available, people can just say 'hey if you're getting rekt by LRMs, get an AMS'. The problem is now that not all mechs have access to AMS, and it's proving to be necessary if you want to survive on low-cover maps.

Do a count. You'd be surprised by the numbers.

Edited by Mystere, 15 August 2018 - 08:49 AM.

#89 maxdest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

There was a period in open beta where LRM were adjusted to have a very high trajectory, and only the most steep cover was enough. This was before ECM too. At that point the only mnemonic that worked was

L LRM, bring them yourself
U Underground; hide there in tunnels
R Reconsider the above points
M Meditate on being calm when you ignore the above and turn to sludge as 100s of unstoppable missiles hit you.

Since then radar derp and common sense practically nullifies LRM.
Like the SCARED mnemonic though... even if it was from 2014

#90 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

I play LRM boats since the beginning and today its harder than ever to be successful against a fairly organised team with some AMS. And since PGI realised ECM sells mechs 50% of the reds have ECM. Next problem for a serious LRM boat.

And LRMs have its use as a entry weapon for newbies to score some good damage (at least it was for me).

LRMs are OK as they are, its only the game mechanic that allows to boat it in insane numbers that makes them a problem. but that's a problem with all boated weapons. Its PGI made and hard or impossible to balance.

I only hope the dont go on nerving the fun out of another weapon and if sometimes the heaven gets dark from missiles don't get upset and remember the good old days of Robin Hood.
Arrows (and missiles) were always part of the game and never funny when you are on the receiving side (but extremely funny if you are the captain of this LRM boat).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users