80 replies to this topic

#1 Korak18

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in "Reaver Space"

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

I know it has been brought up before ,again and again, but I for one are really getting fed up with the MatchMaker in Pug's.
I don't mind a mix of players but it seems to be getting worse.
Last 5 -6 match's I had at least 7- 8 rookies..brutal to say the least.
Don't mind losing but we don't stand a chance from the start, waste of time.
I do try to help but we all know the story...no response ,no action...not enough experience etc
Yes I know all the reasons why it does not work (the mysterious ELO) and please don't tell me or anybody else to just play with my mates. They are not always on and sometimes I just prefer to go alone.
I have noticed a dearth of responses from PGI on this...may have missed some stuff but basically they have been pretty silent .
I know ROFL pugfests but come on.... this is beyond stupid...
It is frustrating enough for me to consider something else for my time and money...
I know the diehards will not care...go CW, but I am sure you have lost people because of this.
They quietly slip away.
It needs fixing to say the least.

/Rant off /

#2 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

Mysterious ELO? I didn't know that Electronic Light Orchestra was that mysterious! Then again I've often wondered how they made their instruments talk :lol:

In all seriousness, I'd be interested in seeing how the matchmaker would work if it were based the average of a player's match scores instead of wins and losses with Elo (it's the name of the scoring system's creator, hence the comment above).

#3 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

PGI 's Match Maker must balance ELO against mech weight.

A high ELO in a light mech and corresponding LOW elo in a 100 ton mech on one team does not equal a high elo in a 100 ton mech and a corresponding low elo in a light mech on the other team.

#4 Korak18

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in "Reaver Space"

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...91&qpid=4122552

So what your saying then is that the Matchmaker currently does NOT do this ??

#5 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

It screws everybody equally...so sack up and shot back!

If anything, the steam rolls imply the MM is doing ok, because in a roughly evenly matched game, the lose of 1-2 mechs from one team is difficult to recover from since the re sung players are more than likely unable to over perform enough above their ELO's presumed level of performance in order to make up the deficit.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

+1

I would rather wait longer for each match than keep playing with people who only started playing the game a few days ago and still haven't figured out that weapons usually have a minimum and maximum range.

#7 Kroah

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

+1

This MM is a big joke.

How is it possible to build a MM where 90% of games are ROFL stomp, either for me or the other team.

How is it possible to put some new players with teammates having more than 3000 games ? And in the SAME team ?
DONT set new players with an average ELO... They should climb the ladders and not be thrown with veterans.

MM lovers would say "hey, but it's ok, your W/L is 50% !!"... yes... but this does NOT mean the games are BALANCED.
And winning (or losing) 12v0 is NOT balanced, nor fun...

My average wait time is between 10 to 30 seconds to find a game... WTF MM ?? Take your time to find players with equal levels (average score match), WHATEVER their W/L is or should be !

Too many of my friends have stopped playing because of this no-brain MM.
This should be the top priority.

Second priority should be to fix hitregs and lagshield.

FIX your game PGI before adding new features !

Edited by Kroah, 21 January 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#8 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

How does a balanced match stay balance after a team falls behind by a mech or two? How is a team supposed to recover if its down a couple of mechs against a team with more mechs and comparable overall ability?

The MM can only provide a reasonable level of parity for match start...everything else after that is the players, don't lay it all on the MM.

#9 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

99% of the issues with matches are not issues with the matchmaker. It's in issue of an inadequate player pool to build a correct match.
And the only way the match maker can fix that is infinite wait times - and we've seen what 5,10,15 minute wait times bring: more complaints. Unless your solution is 'give me a checkbox for infinite wait times' there isn't anything the match maker can do for you.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 21 January 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

Posted Image

#11 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

I'm playing Elite Dangerous lately and not having to deal with any of that crap, OP.

View PostKroah, on 21 January 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

My average wait time is between 10 to 30 seconds to find a game... WTF MM ?? Take your time to find players with equal levels (average score match), WHATEVER their W/L is or should be !

Generally the more average a player you are the shorter the MM search times. If you're extremely good or extremely bad at the game the wait times are considerably longer.

It usually takes me a minimum of four minutes to find a game (if it doesn't time out).

#12 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 21 January 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

How does a balanced match stay balance after a team falls behind by a mech or two? How is a team supposed to recover if its down a couple of mechs against a team with more mechs and comparable overall ability?

Because if the teams were balanced those two dead mechs would have given nearly as good as they got and their teammates should be able to capitalize on the damage they did and quickly make up the deficit?

#13 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

View PostSug, on 21 January 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Because if the teams were balanced those two dead mechs would have given nearly as good as they got and their teammates should be able to capitalize on the damage they did and quickly make up the deficit?

That's not going to be the case every time. In addition, the "not as good" players that were killed could have been taken out by "better" players, meaning the winning team had both it's "better" players and additional "not as good" players to concentrate fire, engage, distract, etc the living team.

Even if the team's first few mechs whittle each other down roughly evenly, the fact that one team eventually has more mechs than the other means any successful MM balance has been thrown off. Odds are, the game is going to begin cascading toward a stomp. How can you be balanced, but also be able to conviently out/up perform in order to make up a deficit? The more balanced, the less likely you'd be able to make up a deficit, no matter how small.

The more I think about it, the more it would seem reasonably balanced matches will inherently result in lop-sided wins...and it is in fact poorly balanced games that result in some of the close matches because one team is better capable of withstanding lost mechs, with that team in particular taking unexpected early loses.

Edited by CocoaJin, 22 January 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#14 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 21 January 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

+1

I would rather wait longer for each match than keep playing with people who only started playing the game a few days ago and still haven't figured out that weapons usually have a minimum and maximum range.

AW... Unless your Elo is outward of the polar extremes (Uber elite or steering wheel underhive) there is virtually no way to avoid playing with new or relatively new players. It's a statistical norm.

To that end, if you are / were at either polar extreme you would find your wait time exacerbated already by the shallowing of the draw pool.

Unless PGI were to make a kiddie sandbox and a seasoned sandbox... It's just not possible to avoid this when the day-1 drop is virtually smack-dab in the middle of the draw pool.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 21 January 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

+1

At this point, I don't think the population and "Elo buckets" would support this anymore...

Had so many longstanding issues been addressed... we'd probably not be in such a rut.

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 January 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

At this point, I don't think the population and "Elo buckets" would support this anymore...

Had so many longstanding issues been addressed... we'd probably not be in such a rut.

They still have a chance to get it right with the Steam release.

Right? :)

#17 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:34 AM

View PostKorak18, on 21 January 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I know it has been brought up before ,again and again, but I for one are really getting fed up with the MatchMaker in Pug's.
I don't mind a mix of players but it seems to be getting worse.
Last 5 -6 match's I had at least 7- 8 rookies..brutal to say the least.
Don't mind losing but we don't stand a chance from the start, waste of time.
I do try to help but we all know the story...no response ,no action...not enough experience etc
Yes I know all the reasons why it does not work (the mysterious ELO) and please don't tell me or anybody else to just play with my mates. They are not always on and sometimes I just prefer to go alone.
I have noticed a dearth of responses from PGI on this...may have missed some stuff but basically they have been pretty silent .
I know ROFL pugfests but come on.... this is beyond stupid...
It is frustrating enough for me to consider something else for my time and money...
I know the diehards will not care...go CW, but I am sure you have lost people because of this.
They quietly slip away.
It needs fixing to say the least.

/Rant off /

Mm is ez.. git gud

#18 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:46 AM

When it comes to solo que I say wait until voip come into the game. I tend to think that balance in matches will return shortly thereafter.

Wait and see if Mud is right.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostSug, on 21 January 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Not if those 2 Mechs ran into 3-5 they would not have. And that is how it usually works. I find an enemy, and then his friends find us. 4 on one trumps Elo.

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 22 January 2015 - 03:46 AM, said:

When it comes to solo que I say wait until voip come into the game. I tend to think that balance in matches will return shortly thereafter.

Wait and see if Mud is right.

The balance will still favor the side that works best together. Teamwork trumps individual carry.

View PostMister Blastman, on 21 January 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

I'm playing Elite Dangerous lately and not having to deal with any of that crap, OP.

Generally the more average a player you are the shorter the MM search times. If you're extremely good or extremely bad at the game the wait times are considerably longer.

It usually takes me a minimum of four minutes to find a game (if it doesn't time out).
2-4 minutes for me. in my Atlases or My Commando. and I am a terribad Light Pilot! :lol:

#20 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

If you really want to know how the matchmaker works, instead of playing the blame game based on wild guesses, support my suggestion here: http://mwomercs.com/...sms-matchmaker/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users