Maintenance Cycle Complete. Some Data From The Previous Cw Cycle Was Lost - Sorry.

24 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Cunningham

Senior Architect

• 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hello folks.

We had a maintenance cycle today to install some required security patches for a particular issue.

Our expected maintenance ended up running about 10 minutes later than the original 30-minute window we had planned, and this meant the cycle overlapped the end and the beginning of two windows.

We discovered today that our CW system can't handle that situation gracefully, and some data regarding the previous window was lost. Everything else is fine, it's just that the battles accumulated in the previous 8-hour window did not count in the way they should have.

We're sorry that happened. We'll look into ways to fix the glitch so it doesn't occur again, and in the future we will attempt to run maintenance in the middle of cycles rather than near the end in order to avoid having the issue happen again.

#2 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

If it helps, I am now Marik and have never sided with them. Both (or 3 times?) that I took a contract for CW it was for Kurita, and I was Kurita before CW. Happened just now after the patch. Is this something to do with this problem?

Edited by Axeface, 27 January 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#3 Vincent V. Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 299 posts
  • LocationWarrior, Command Star, Alpha Galaxy, Clan Wolf.

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 27 January 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

We're sorry that happened. We'll look into ways to fix the glitch so it doesn't occur again, and in the future we will attempt to run maintenance in the middle of cycles rather than near the end in order to avoid having the issue happen again.

Allow me to offer an alternate suggestion;

Run the maintenance cycles during the beginning of a CW cycle instead. At the beginning of the cycle there are the least people on for CW, therefore the least amount of interruption for the community.

I also want to point out you really need to check your attack algorythms again... There are still factions who are able to jump across long distances.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

lets blame

Posted Image

#5 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

So everything was pointless?!
well thanks...

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

I'm annoyed, but this is the least of anyone's problems IMO.

The faction change on my profile - now I can't help SJ at the moment.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#7 Jon Cunningham

Senior Architect

• 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Investigating the faction changes.

#8 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

There were similar issues noted from time to time earlier as well. It seems now and then, people end up with a faction shift for no apparent reasons. I'm wondering if it's a leftover unit tagging (or a mistag) triggering when someone else swaps a unit to another faction, thereby autoswitching anyone who's "part" of the unit whether they actually are or not.

#9 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostReitmeier, on 27 January 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

So everything was pointless?!
well thanks...

Oh noes, a system that is IN BETA, and which you're TESTING for a game you play for FREE had an issue.

Oh, the horror. I'll return from the battlefield when a legitimate issue is expressed from this data loss other than just general stupid "I blame you for me not understanding what BETA means!".

No worries here PGI, keep up the good work and its great that this was found NOW instead of during CW's full release.

#10 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 27 January 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

Oh noes, a system that is IN BETA, and which you're TESTING for a game you play for FREE had an issue.

He doesnt play for free.

#11 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

http://kotaku.com/58...om-the-internet

lol

Which youre testing on the live server...

So either the live server is really in BETA

Or

It aint that BETA

#12 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 January 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

http://kotaku.com/58...om-the-internet

lol

Which youre testing on the live server...

So either the live server is really in BETA

Or

It aint that BETA

Wow...that MMO...
Anyways...
The 'FEATURE' is in BETA. Did you lose anything that you earned on your account or payed real money for? No? Then there is no reason to complain. We just encountered a problem during BETA...GOOD. That means it can be squashed before CW leaves BETA and before it actually matters.

View PostAxeface, on 27 January 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

He doesnt play for free.

Yes he is. There is no subscription to this game, therefore you are 'playing for free'. If he's put money into the game it was voluntary, not required. I've put money into this game too (Both clan packages, the St Ives, a bunch of mech bays, etc.) however I understand that CW is a BETA feature that is extremely likely to have bugs and unforseen issues plaguing it which 'GASP!' we as a community are testing and ironing out (public matches are running just fine if you don't want to help improve CW before it goes live) to make a better game in hand with PGI who, as a company, is graciously including its fan base in development to an extent. Most games (including those massive multi-millionaire AAA titles that make a whole lot more than this game does in revenue) don't give a damn about player input and as long as they're making money would never turn an ear toward their community for development input.

View PostJon Cunningham, on 27 January 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Hello folks.

We had a maintenance cycle today to install some required security patches for a particular issue.

Our expected maintenance ended up running about 10 minutes later than the original 30-minute window we had planned, and this meant the cycle overlapped the end and the beginning of two windows.

We discovered today that our CW system can't handle that situation gracefully, and some data regarding the previous window was lost. Everything else is fine, it's just that the battles accumulated in the previous 8-hour window did not count in the way they should have.

Just thought about this but, shouldn't this be pinned or in Announcements or something? O_o

Edited by MauttyKoray, 27 January 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#13 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 27 January 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

Yes he is. There is no subscription to this game, therefore you are 'playing for free'. If he's put money into the game it was voluntary, not required

Unbelievable. I'm not even going to get into this with someone like you because there is no point. Ignored blocked and everything else.

Remember everyone, we're donators! Not customers!

Edited by Axeface, 27 January 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

For the record, this isn't the first time it has happened (to me). The difference between now and then is changing faction was through the profile... which has been totally eliminated since adding units and now contracts.

So, I don't know what goes on to allow this to occur on some level, but it's really annoying to somehow change (possibly corrupt) a database from whatever that occurred during maintenance. Changing faction is minimal damage... but if it changed C-bills values (how much you have) or the mechs and/or the mechbays you own... it can become far more detrimental in the future. It needs to be looked into with actual seriousness AND a response.

#15 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

Bummmer but may as well get all this sorted out while its in beta, right?

As far as that Japanese MMO article there goes... I can't believe a company would have no backups of anything. **** man, even our lowest budget customers at work we pretty much force to have some kind of backups and if they still do not then it's a big "OK sign here, and in the future WHEN (not IF) you lose everything, this just says we're not liable. Thanks!"

#16 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostAxeface, on 27 January 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Unbelievable. I'm not even going to get into this with someone like you because there is no point. Ignored blocked and everything else.

Remember everyone, we're donators! Not customers!

Haha, omg...wow. Yes, give up because I pointed out the problem with your point. We are indeed customers, but we didn't lose anything that was required to be replaced. You lost no CBills, mechs, xp, modules, or anything MC related. You lost digital data representing digital data of a digital start system that isn't even a final version of the feature yet. People mad about this need to take a step away from the computer and reevaluate their lives. Yes, I've taken part in CW, yes I've put effort into winning a planet, but unlike these people getting mad I understand we're play testing a BETA feature in the game we play.

#17 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

It's only sort of lost since it's beta.

#18 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

Oh, the horror. I'll return from the battlefield when a legitimate issue is expressed from this data loss other than just general stupid "I blame you for me not understanding what BETA means!".

No worries here PGI, keep up the good work and its great that this was found NOW instead of during CW's full release.

Just want to add, it's frustrating, but as you stated, it's in Beta. I'd rather the bug happen now (actually, some other attack phase would have been better, as the Seraphim just "earned" their home world back during the glitched phase, and thus didn't get it) than when it is "out of beta".

It's a game. Things happen. Life moves on.

The more troubling part of this bug was the faction shifts some players received. A world can be retaken in another attack phase. A faction shift can cause penalties to cancel to let you switch again, AND you can't switch to a new faction for 24 hours after canceling the old contract. That's a bit more painful to the game play.

#19 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostTesunie, on 27 January 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

The more troubling part of this bug was the faction shifts some players received. A world can be retaken in another attack phase. A faction shift can cause penalties to cancel to let you switch again, AND you can't switch to a new faction for 24 hours after canceling the old contract. That's a bit more painful to the game play.

This is actually worth being troubled over, as it has the potential to ruin CW at its core. They said they're looking into it though. I haven't yet had an issue personally but here's to hoping the rest of you have the issue fixed soon!

#20 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostAxeface, on 27 January 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

He doesnt play for free.

He plays CW for free. Quit being pedantic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users