Stormcrow Broken Especially In Cw

215 replies to this topic

#1 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

I was pretty enthusiastic about CW launching, it really appeared to be a long time missing element of MWO experience. I've invested a lot of time and c-bills for making an optimal IS drop deck, that suits my playstyle and that contributes to winning battles.

It was fun at the beginning, matches seemed to vary, there were some different scenarios of how the battle could go.

Thing is, CW has become nightmarish. It is now dominated by Clan 12-man stompers, focused on overusing a variety of Stormcrow builds. It's simply ridiculous.

How can someone not notice that Stormcrow is completely OP when used in a 12 man scenario? It's equally great at being a long range damage spamming machine as it is a close SRM brawling machine or a light killing streak missile machine, that almost cannot be countered by casuals.

This is just utter crap. Sorry.

Edited by Ace Selin, 29 January 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

You forgot to say that it does all that at once, at the same time - a LRM, laser vomit, SRM boat that kills lights with streaks. All with thunderbolts coming out of its arse.

But seriously though if it isn't the SC it'll be filled with another chassis that can do the role. It just so happens that the SC can be kitted how you want to play at the time.

#3 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

What about a 12 man Spider drop or 12 Firestarter drop or 12 T-bolt 9S?? You have no idea....

#4 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 29 January 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

What about a 12 man Spider drop or 12 Firestarter drop or 12 T-bolt 9S?? You have no idea....

Are your 12 Stormcrows with 5 SSRM6 each actually having problems with Spiders and Firestarters?

#5 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPacific Standard Timezone

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

I've never seen a team of Storm Crows win a battle of attrition against anything but a light rush to be honest. I've done Storm Crow rushes before, and have both stomped teams and been stomped.

Just gonna say: Watch where the crows go, what teams pilot them, and what they shoot at. You may be surprised where their strength actually lies.

#6 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostDavers, on 29 January 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Are your 12 Stormcrows with 5 SSRM6 each actually having problems with Spiders and Firestarters?

....that would be why there are drop like that, chasing 12 lights with laser boats sucks,
With 30 SSRMs its much more amusing.

#7 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

at 300m/s the SRMs miss lights alot and you have to be point blank to use them and heat is a problem on sulfur.

#8 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostCrushLibs, on 29 January 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

at 300m/s the SRMs miss lights alot and you have to be point blank to use them and heat is a problem on sulfur.

LOL. You have an extra 90m reach over IS SSRMs, not including range modules. Been watching a lot of vids from the current MWO League- I see Streakcrows. Pretty common, and they seem to handle lights well. And, oh yeah, you can field 12 of them.

Please stop pretending this isn't a good mech when it clearly is.

#9 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 29 January 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

I was pretty enthusiastic about CW launching, it really appeared to be a long time missing element of MWO experience. I've invested a lot of time and c-bills for making an optimal IS drop deck, that suits my playstyle and that contributes to winning battles.

It was fun at the beginning, matches seemed to vary, there were some different scenarios of how the battle could go.

Thing is, CW has become nightmarish. It is now dominated by Clan 12-man stompers, focused on overusing a variety of Stormcrow builds. It's simply ridiculous.

How can someone not notice that Stormcrow is completely OP when used in a 12 man scenario? It's equally great at being a long range damage spamming machine as it is a close SRM brawling machine or a light killing streak missile machine, that almost cannot be countered by casuals.

This is just utter crap. Sorry.

There are currently 5 broken mechs.

Dire Wolf
Timber Wolf
Stormcrow
Firestarter
Thunderbolt.

How do you know they're broken? That's about all you see nowadays en masse

Edited by Kjudoon, 29 January 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#10 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

does the fact that the majority of the other clan mechs do not have very good loadouts VS the very versatile timber wolf and Storm crow?

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

View PostDavers, on 29 January 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

LOL. You have an extra 90m reach over IS SSRMs, not including range modules. Been watching a lot of vids from the current MWO League- I see Streakcrows. Pretty common, and they seem to handle lights well. And, oh yeah, you can field 12 of them.

Please stop pretending this isn't a good mech when it clearly is.

I'm not gonna comment on the mechs, but with weapons:

SRMs (Clan or IS) only go 300 m/s and are at 270 m range. I use them on Adders and various IS mechs right now. You need to lead with them and that is tricky against faster mechs.

Streaks, go 180 m/s and have the 360 m range.

#12 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Working as intended....

I wouln't say any of the mechs questioned were OP.

They just take some getting used to. :ph34r:

#13 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 29 January 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

I'm not gonna comment on the mechs, but with weapons:

SRMs (Clan or IS) only go 300 m/s and are at 270 m range. I use them on Adders and various IS mechs right now. You need to lead with them and that is tricky against faster mechs.

Streaks, go 180 m/s and have the 360 m range.

Right, Clan streaks have 360m range (IS only has 270m) like I said. Who mentioned regular SRMs?

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostDavers, on 29 January 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

Right, Clan streaks have 360m range (IS only has 270m) like I said. Who mentioned regular SRMs?

CrushLibs originally.

#15 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

Yes, it's the third member of the holy trinity.

Welcome to mid 2014. Thanks for finally stopping by.

#16 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 29 January 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

CrushLibs originally.

Ok. Seems people are talking past each other a lot in this thread. Thanks for the clarification. :)

#17 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

View Postzudukai, on 29 January 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

does the fact that the majority of the other clan mechs do not have very good load-outs VS the very versatile timber wolf and Storm crow?

This is a problem. Clan mechs are feast of famine. They are all monsters (SCR, TBR, DWF) or not (SMN, GAR, IFR). There's more mechs down the middle in the IS.

But clans get one advantage. They can bring 4 SCRs per match and pretty much have most stuff covered. IS doesn't have that luxury. For all the complaints about how OP TDRs, SDR and FS9s are, that's about the end of our list of competitive mechs against clans in CW.

It doesn't help that the best strategy to win a game is to ignore the defenders and just hit the generators. If PGI wants brawling in CW like Russ says he does, the objective has to change. Maybe the attackers have to capture and hold a zone to win. More like King of the Hill than rushing generators. Now that would create brawls, epic brawls.

(on edit, spelling)

Edited by Apnu, 29 January 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#18 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 29 January 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

There are currently 5 broken mechs.

Dire Wolf
Timber Wolf
Stormcrow
Firestarter
Thunderbolt.

How do you know they're broken? That's about all you see nowadays en masse

and by "broken" you mean more effective and more popular than other mechs.

The biggest issue with this community is the immediate call to nerf things the moment they are effective or popular.

#19 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

Are Stromcroms strong? Yes. Are they effective? Absolutely. Are clan mechs easier to pilot than IS mechs? Most certainly. Clan is easy mode.

But...

The IS started using the light zerg against the clans. The Clans responded the only way they could by creating the streakcrom. Now it's up to the IS to come up with a new strategy.

And I assure you once they do it will be the clans crying. And then the IS. And then the clans, etc.

And the pendulum swings on...

#20 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 29 January 2015 - 09:18 PM, said:

and by "broken" you mean more effective and more popular than other mechs.

The biggest issue with this community is the immediate call to nerf things the moment they are effective or popular.

No, I mean ineffective hit registration mostly. Have had many matches where damage doesn't register on those three plus the firestarter.

That's not skill, nor is it better. That's unethically exploiting a flaw.

Of course, the Thunderbolt is uber broken too thanks to it's overquirk with the ERPPCcheese builds. At least that will be fixed next patch if PGI keeps to what they promised.

View Postdervishx5, on 29 January 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

Are Stromcroms strong? Yes. Are they effective? Absolutely. Are clan mechs easier to pilot than IS mechs? Most certainly. Clan is easy mode.

But...

The IS started using the light zerg against the clans. The Clans responded the only way they could by creating the streakcrom. Now it's up to the IS to come up with a new strategy.

And I assure you once they do it will be the clans crying. And then the IS. And then the clans, etc.

And the pendulum swings on...

With flaw exploits, anything can be strong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users