Length Of Mechnames (Mechlab) Too Short!

64 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:50 AM

Why are those mechnames only be allowed to be so short? I think I never started a topic here besides reading for months and months, but this one really makes me go "WHY OH WHY?"

I like to name my mechs "Primary Weapon Secondary Weapon Engine Size"

So for example: 3SRM6 4MPL 275

But even that bit of information can't be put there sometimes if it's an LBX weapon. And I can't write down if the engine is XL, which is a bummer because sometimes you need to switch them.

So please, (maybe miss community manager?) FIX THIS!

It's not game-changing, nothing about balance, names could still be read in the leaderboard if they were twice that length (are personally given mechnames even shown there? I don't think so).

Is there any reason to keep those short names?

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:54 AM

I name my Mechs after Mythical beings according to the main nationality of teh House.

Yours is a 1st world problem sir.

#3 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:00 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

I name my Mechs after Mythical beings according to the main nationality of teh House.

Yours is a 1st world problem sir.

A bit fast on the judging lane, aren't you? How do YOU keep track of the setup of over 50 mechs? I don't want to have to open up the MechLab for every single variant to decide which one I want to play!

#4 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:01 AM

I give my Mechs the names of Ex-Girlfriends. It's amazing how many heather's I've dated before i got married.

#5 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:03 AM

I keep mine the same as it comes, the variant designation and/or the Hero name... No issues....

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostFrank Olson, on 21 April 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

A bit fast on the judging lane, aren't you? How do YOU keep track of the setup of over 50 mechs? I don't want to have to open up the MechLab for every single variant to decide which one I want to play!

I don't keep 50 Mechs. And I know what has what cause I can remember that kinda stuff. Then again I could quote you every Mech in 4 TROs what they carried and how much armor.

What do you need 50 Mechs for anyway?

#7 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:06 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

I don't keep 50 Mechs. And I know what has what cause I can remember that kinda stuff. Then again I could quote you every Mech in 4 TROs what they carried and how much armor.

What do you need 50 Mechs for anyway?

What do you NOT need 50 mechs for? :P :D

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostMors Draco, on 21 April 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

What do you NOT need 50 mechs for? :P :D

MWO. :D

Seriously. I am rarely out of my Atlas-S... Unless I am in CW.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 21 April 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#9 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:12 AM

I do have 50+ mechs and my method works just fine....

Posted Image

#10 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

So because some people only have 4 mechs the concern isn't viable? Even though changing it would not change anything in the game to something worse?

And what help is it if only nerds who can quote all canon mechs can deal with the mechlab?
AND: Who keeps their mechs stock-loaded?

Not convinced.

#11 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

I have a bright yellow urbie I wanted to call yellowsubmarine....

But I couldn't :(

#12 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

View Postcdlord, on 21 April 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

I do have 50+ mechs and my method works just fine....

Posted Image

It doesn't help me since I can't remember 89 different loadouts with type + number of weapons etc, ... but congratulations ;P

#13 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

Why not just click "mech details" to see what loadout the mech has?

In any case, I'm with cdlord on this. Keep the variant designation/hero name and I know at least roughly what build I have on it. If unsure, check the mech details.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

View PostFrank Olson, on 21 April 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

So because some people only have 4 mechs the concern isn't viable? Even though changing it would not change anything in the game to something worse?

And what help is it if only nerds who can quote all canon mechs can deal with the mechlab?
AND: Who keeps their mechs stock-loaded?

Not convinced.

If you don't know what your Mechs have on them, each and every one... You really don't need that Mech.

#15 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:

If you don't know what your Mechs have on them, each and every one... You really don't need that Mech.

Could you Elite Founders just step down your golden throne (with a golden Griffin on each side) and stop the "I'm so pro" speeches? It's just about a small improvement of the game. Maybe the game should ask for each variant of each mech in the game and you would have to answer multiple-choice questions before even being allowed to play it? (I know some will answer "yes" now)

#16 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostFrank Olson, on 21 April 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

How do YOU keep track of the setup of over 50 mechs? I don't want to have to open up the MechLab for every single variant to decide which one I want to play!

Just like Lunatech said, click "mech details". It is a quick way to see what a mech has equipped without going into the Mechlab.

I would like a longer field for a name just because, but it isn't really a big deal for me. Besides, a load out based name could be a really long and daunting name anyway.

BTW, You could come up with an abbreviated code too

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 21 April 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#17 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:51 AM

What is all the moronic behavior against the request of the OP. The suggestion is viable. If he wanna do it that way he can do it. I would also like to add beside the nicknames some infos in this line.

This look into mechdetail argument is a bit slopy btw when you are in the cw dropdeck creation and have only 1 min to set up your deck - at least there you need to know all your loadouts. And if someone isn't able to do so, why shouldn't he request to make a change.

I support the OP. And by the way choice of waves while in the cw match after getting killed and decide what mech to drop next, the individual name should also be displayed. xD

Edited by Kuritaclan, 21 April 2015 - 04:53 AM.

#18 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:53 AM

View PostFrank Olson, on 21 April 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

Could you Elite Founders just step down your golden throne (with a golden Griffin on each side) and stop the "I'm so pro" speeches? It's just about a small improvement of the game. Maybe the game should ask for each variant of each mech in the game and you would have to answer multiple-choice questions before even being allowed to play it? (I know some will answer "yes" now)

Has nothing to do with being a founder. I run TT games and can tell you what mechs have on them, as well as what my MWO mechs carry, thus why i give them girls names. Its no different than knowing the stats of your favorite sports player/team. You make it sound like this impossibly hard task of keeping track of what your less than 50 mechs carry.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:58 AM

View PostFrank Olson, on 21 April 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

I'm sorry you think I have this opinion cause I'm an Elite Founder? Could You Clan scum be any more arrogant? :lol:

Its not an improvement to the game either. I mean how long does a name have to be?
Hubert Blaine Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff...

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 21 April 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#20 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

For someone who play the game on a regular basis and have a good knowledge of all the stuff what is going on including a bt background, it might be easy to remember what you have in your shiny boxes. New Players may not be that person you describe yourself. Not to mention the ones may come with steam release. You want them to stay or leave? If one of them skip the game because of so minor issues, it is one more who isn't in the playerbase.

Sure it is a little thing nothing to prior on, but if you assume a couple thousend players with a couple hundred mechs this is not much data capacity to maintain for PGI. At least in this case i do not think that it would create to big data volumes.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 21 April 2015 - 05:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users